Topic: Arimidex - Coping with the SE's

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Jul 28, 2010 01:22PM - edited Nov 15, 2017 02:01PM by moderators

Posted on: Jul 28, 2010 01:22PM - edited Nov 15, 2017 02:01PM by moderators

Lowrider54 wrote:

Not just for Arimidex but all the Hormonals - se's are so similar so coping with them should also be similar and the remedies offered should work for any of the Hormonals - don't go away, read on if you are taking any of the hormonal treatments....

For those of us who are taking this potentially life saving/life prolonging drug, it does not come without side effects. There are some very lucky folks who don't have any...GREAT! But for those that do, lets share how we cope with the hot flashes and night sweats and stuff.

The 'Arimidex' thread covers more than just side effects and coping - there is much debate over it going generic and the effectiveness of its use. I am putting this up in hopes that new users can find the answers concerning the se's easily. Of course, please visit the Arimidex thread for more information concerning the statistics, research and controversy surrounding many of the AL's and new treatments we are being offered today.

Treatment is always a personal choice - if Arimidex is your choice, these kind folks can help you manage some of the issues that some with taking it.

I elected to take a low dose of Effexsor to aide with the hot flashes and night sweats. It worked very nicely for me. Water intake and walking assists with the possible joint pain. I eliminated as much gluten from my diet as I could (that stuff is in everything....lol) and did not experience weight gain - I did experience 'weight re-distribution' however - it seems to go to the tummy. I haven't found a good solution for that yet. Cool

Good Luck All!

Hugs

LowRider

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Arimidex: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Smile...it will make people wonder what you are up to...Initial dx 04/99 - CMF; 9/2009 bone mets Arimidex; 6/2010 Faslodex/Xgeva; 8/2011; abdominal wall invaded, ER/PR flipped to TN, Abraxane/Avastin//Xgeva 09/02/2011; 11/2011Xeloda/Avastin/Xgeva. Dx 9/16/2009, Stage IV, 5/25 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 124 of 842 (8,419 results)

Dec 3, 2010 12:42AM molly52 wrote:

I am having fun with removing gluten from my diet.   I have about 10 of the "other" flours and am working on making a good mixture that works.  I hope to find one in time for my christmas baking.  Boy, won't the family be getting a surprise this year. <lol>.

Seriously though, spelt is low gluten and I've found it to be better tasting than regular flour.  Also, it has more nutrition, fibre and less gluten so better for those acky joints.  Win, Win, Win, Win.

Dec 3, 2010 06:18AM kira1234 wrote:

LowRider, May I ask what you used for the crust? I have been trying to bake with less gluten to see if it helps.

Dx 6/2010, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/8/2010 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 8/3/2010 Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2010 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 2/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 3, 2010 11:49AM Lowrider54 wrote:

kira...I actually found a pie crust mix in the gluten free section of WalMart and gave it a try - the hardest part was 'cutting in' the ingredients - I sure don't have the strength built back up in my arms...LOL.

sunflowers...thanks for the title, I will be looking for it and I will be checking out the Co-op as well.  This weekend, I am trying the chocolate chip cookie mix I found...let ya'll know how that turns out. 

molly...it is kinda fun and I feel like a kid in a candy store when I find something...I think my neighbor that went shopping with me and I discovered gluten free Bisquick was going to just keel over from embarassment at the fuss I was making...LOL

Oh, and while my knees love me from the elimination of gluten...they are not happy with me when I fall on the ice (I didn't even look last night - but this morning, OMG - it has more colors than the fall on my back from the ice storm last week) - thankfully, the storm we are getting today is NOT being preceeded by freezing rain...whew...

Hugs all and Have a GREAT weekend!

LowRider

Smile...it will make people wonder what you are up to...Initial dx 04/99 - CMF; 9/2009 bone mets Arimidex; 6/2010 Faslodex/Xgeva; 8/2011; abdominal wall invaded, ER/PR flipped to TN, Abraxane/Avastin//Xgeva 09/02/2011; 11/2011Xeloda/Avastin/Xgeva. Dx 9/16/2009, Stage IV, 5/25 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Dec 3, 2010 01:47PM heartnsoul76 wrote:

I will be making a decision soon about taking Arimidex or Tamoxifen, and I was wondering about some of the SEs of Arimidex. I've heard it can raise your cholesterol, and isn't that hard on the liver as well? Any recommendations about how to control that SE? Also, is there something else you can take besides Zometa to help strengthen your bones? I thought I remember reading something about a natural mineral like strontium or something? Thanks for this thread and all the good info! I just don't know what to do sometimes...

If you focus on the worst case scenario and it happens, you've lived it twice. ~Michael J. Fox Dx 5/15/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/10/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/6/2010 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/21/2010 Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2011

Dec 3, 2010 01:51PM whitedove wrote:

Hi,

I know I don't really match with this thread as I am on Tamoxifen, but I noted Marie2s post in Sept. about the symptom of difficulty breathing, shortness of breath.  I am getting that with the Tamoxifen. I am in my early 40s.  I have only been on T.for 2 month and am a bit worried. I notice that I feel like I have vertigo upon waking as well, could it be oxygen deprivation? I don't see my onc. very much (only had 1 appt. with her) so feel like I shouldn't call about this.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Dx 8/2010, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 1/4/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Mastectomy

Dec 3, 2010 02:19PM JanetinVirginia wrote:

whitedove - I think you should most definitely call.  Difficulty breathing & shortness of breath can indicate heart issues.  Those SEs are rare, but it can happen on either Tamox or Arimidex.  I just started Arimidex and have had some palpatations already- it's the same sensation when I used to have any caffeine (esp. coffee which I had to stop years ago because of the reaction).  I'm wondering if I'm in the same boat with a rare reaction.  I'm not overweight, no high blood pressure or high cholesterol, my EKGs are always fine - so I don't have any other heart-related risk problems. 

Dx 9/1/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 5, 2010 12:54AM mersmom wrote:

whitedove,

Did you draw your dove??? Isn't that zentangles? Love it !  I just took a class and bought  all the materials to start after the holidays.

Teri

diagnosed April 7,2009 Dx 4/7/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 5, 2010 12:55AM - edited Dec 5, 2010 12:56AM by mersmom

This Post was deleted by mersmom.
diagnosed April 7,2009 Dx 4/7/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 5, 2010 01:00PM kira1234 wrote:

sunflower, Use a saw, what a great idea. I have the worst time cutting the winter squashes which I just love to eat. I also use the plastic "helper " things. Boy getting old is a bummer.

Dx 6/2010, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/8/2010 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 8/3/2010 Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2010 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 2/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 5, 2010 01:11PM KKing wrote:

Hi Ladies,

I have a question for you.  I am into the third year on arimidex.  I was just told  that since my last bone density test last year that my newest results say I have increased osteopenia.  Is anyone else in this condition and can I ask what you are doing to help the situation.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 124 of 842 (8,419 results)

Scroll to top button