We are 191,921 members in 81 forums discussing 142,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Ibrance & Letrozole and taking tumeric

Topic: Ibrance & Letrozole and taking tumeric

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Jun 15, 2017 10:59AM

Qryche33 wrote:

I wasn't sure where to put this so I'm going to throw this out there. I am on my 3rd breast cancer diagnosis in 3 years. I have Estrogen + breast cancer. I am taking Ibrance and Letrozole and I've just recently starting taking tumeric with curcumin supplements. I have tried to read all the news I can on this supplement and everything is positive. However I did just read one article that states it could speed up my cancer and should stay away from it. I asked my Onocologist, but he just wants me to stay on the two medications, however, nothing has worked for my breast cancer and I want to start trying to do some things different for myself. Has anyone here any advice for me? Thank you so much!!!

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jun 15, 2017 01:19PM Husband11 wrote:

Curcumin and tumeric inhibit enzymes cyp3A and cy2c9.

Ibrance is degraded by enzyme cy3A and the recommendation is to reduce dosage when on another medicine that inhibits cy3A. Strong cyp3A4 inhibitors are to be avoided altogether.

Letrozole is catalyzed to its active form by enzymes cyp3A4 and cyp2A6. There is a theoretical inhibition of letrozole by curcumin, although from what I have read from Constantine Kalalidis's research, he concludes there is no significant interaction between letrozole and curcumin.

If it is true that curcumin does not strongly inhibit cyp3A, you should be fine, but you are taking a chance. If it does interfere, it will make letrozole less effective, and make the ibrance potentially stronger, or perhaps too strong. Meaning, increased side effects.

I've never read that curcumin could speed up cancer. Can you point me to the article?

Concerned husband Dx 2008, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 7/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Jun 15, 2017 01:49PM - edited Jun 15, 2017 01:49PM by HapB

I am interested in this topic. I have not done supplements but have started adding organic turmeric into my diet daily. I am presently doing chemo of Taxol and Herceptin for 12 weeks. I have read several books on diet and cancer and they all mention that supplements are not as effective as the real thing. I never even considered that it might interfere with chemo. I will be using AI for 5-10 yrs.

Dx 4/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 6/9/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy

Jun 15, 2017 01:49PM Qryche33 wrote:

Hi, thank you so much for the response. I contacted my Oncologist and he said he does not know much about tumeric to give me enough data, so I have been crazy trying to find answers. I even contacted Pfizer to ask them. I found only this article on the Susan G. Komen site:

Hormone-sensitive condition such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Turmeric contains a chemical called curcumin, which might act like the hormone estrogen. In theory, turmeric might make hormone-sensitive conditions worse. However, some research shows that turmeric reduces the effects of estrogen in some hormone-sensitive cancer cells. Therefore, turmeric might have beneficial effects on hormone-sensitive conditions. Until more is known, use cautiously if you have a condition that might be made worse by exposure to hormones.

There just isn't enough information out there on tumeric and curcumin.

Thank you again for your response.

Tracy

Jun 15, 2017 01:52PM HapB wrote:

thanks Q, there is so much that they just don't know about diet and the body. Not much incentive for private pharmaceutical companies to spend money on research on diet.

Dx 4/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 6/9/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy

Jun 15, 2017 01:59PM Husband11 wrote:

Supplements and even some foods can interfere with drug metabolism, so it pays to ask questions. Grapefruit is the classic example, it interferes strongly with cyp3A4 metabolism, and can either weaken a drug's effects, or strengthen them, depending on whether the cyp3a4 enzyme is on the activation side or clearance side of the metabolism of the drug.

Concerned husband Dx 2008, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 7/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Jun 15, 2017 03:43PM peaches1 wrote:

Hi- Sloan Kettering on their website, has a section where they tell you what supplements interfere with what meds. It is in their complementary medicine section. I don't know if turmeric helps prevent BC, but it supposedly is supposed to help with joint pain you get when you are on antiestrogens, and it does help with inflammation. .

Dx 5/13/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/26/2016 Lumpectomy Chemotherapy 7/17/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/24/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Jun 16, 2017 06:06AM Qryche33 wrote:

Right, just not enough research out there on natural medicine.

Jun 16, 2017 06:06AM Qryche33 wrote:

I will for sure check that out. Thank you!!

Jun 19, 2017 07:04AM 4yourlife wrote:

This Post has been removed by the Community.

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)