Join Us

We are 217,585 members in 84 forums discussing 160,640 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Keto/low carb sisterhood

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Apr 21, 2020 11:42PM - edited Sep 14, 2020 04:22PM by sunandsea

sunandsea wrote:

Hey everyone! I'd love to connect with other women who are currently on a keto/low carb diet. Let's support one another with accountability, recipe exchange, research findings, tips/tricks, struggles, and mutual support.

Please introduce yourself, when and why you went keto, and share your fave keto treat. Please list your current macro category (see below, per the Charlie Foundation) and if applicablle the actual macros and I'll add the info to the roll call below:

Macro ratios

Classic Keto (4:1): 90% fat/6% protein/4% carbs

Modified Keto (3:1): 87% fat/10% protein/3% carbs

Modified Keto (2:1): 82% fat/12% protein/6% carbs

MCT (1.9:1): 73% fat/10% protein/17% carbs

Modified Keto (1:1): 70% fat/15% protein/15% carbs

Modified Atkins (0.8:1): 65% fat/30% protein/5% carbs

Low Glycemic Index (2:3): 60% fat/28% protein/12% carbs

Other

Keto sisters

1redgirl

ChiSandy

flashlight

JHannahC

Kittymama1962 - Ketotarian

LaVue

Lolis (Loli) - Modified Keto (70f/20p/6-10c)

NorCalS - 20g carb, 119g fat, 96g protein

pipers_dream

salamandra

santabarbarian

sunandsea (Vilija) - Modified Atkins (70f/25p/5c)

wallycat

Dx at 40. Mama to 2 boys ages 13 and 11. Dx 1/31/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/11/2020 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 4/30/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/3/2020 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/3/2020 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/3/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Page 2 of 2 (36 results)

Posts 31 - 36 (36 total)

Aug 31, 2020 03:05PM NorCalS wrote:

Thanks. It is definitely harder to stay low carb during the summer months when my fruit trees ripen. I enjoyed the fresh, tree ripened peaches and plums this year. I think the key is to reduce the carbs in other areas. Also, this summer, I increased carbs to 50g, so plenty of room to eat fruit

Dx: 06/2019, left breast, ER/PR-, Her2-. Treatment: 06/2019 - 11/2019 AC/T. Surgery: Lumpectomy with axillary dissection in 12/2019. Radiation: 01/2020-03/2020. Xeloda - 03/2020-09/2020

Sep 13, 2020 01:01PM - edited Sep 13, 2020 01:03PM by Salamandra

Hi folks! I just started a keto diet and it occurred to me to come here and check if there was a post/community for it already.

For me I feel like the diet is only incidentally related to my cancer, if at all. I'm 41, diagnosed at 39, and pre/during/post, my blood tests and general health have always been fine. I was bicycling about 17 miles round trip for most of my radiation treatments.

But over the last 5 years or so I had crept up to a higher weight than I've ever been before (mainly stress-related, I believe, for which cancer didn't help but it certainly wasn't the only thing going on). And my BMI came out at 30.5 this summer, which technically put me over for extra COVID risk and would let me apply for remote accommodations. I actually asked my doc to write me a letter. But then I realized I didn't want to submit it. I think it's wrong-headed and dangerous to have kids and teachers back in schools but I also realized that if in-person school of any kind was happening, I would rather be there than at home.

So overall I just thought, *enough*. I want to get my weight/BMI down. (I know BMI isn't very meaningful on an individual level, but it mattered for the bureaucracy!) I want to wear the cute clothes I've been hanging on to just in case. I want to be able to find treasures at thrift stores again. Damnit, I want to come closer to meeting conventional beauty standards, even if conceptually I think they're complete bullsh*t. Yes, this is probably 75% pure vanity. Maybe higher.

I'm not sure how I got to the keto subreddit but I decided to start. The whole thing is probably somewhat impulsive on my part.

So anyway, I started last Monday, and tomorrow will be my first full week. It is very strange. I already miss all kinds of things and feel kind of sick of meat and cheese and kind of want to devour the huge bag of kale in my fridge, though I know that has carbs to be mindful of also. It feels weird to have kale as a restricted food! But I ordered some ready made meals to try, ordered a microwave from Amazon, bought some keto chow, and am starting to experiment a bit more with cooking.

I have kept a vegetarian kitchen my whole life for cultural reasons, despite eating meat. So even just having meat on a pan feels like an adventure! If anyone has general advice on cooking meat or specific tools you think are worth spending money on, I'd love to hear. Do I really need a meat thermometer, for instance?

In terms of macros, I basically took it from the keto subreddit. I'm aiming for 20g net carbs max, 96g protein goal/min, 107g fat max, and 1457 calorie budget. But I was having trouble with feeling very hungry at first (alternating with super fun) and I was advised that for the transition I should be willing to go over on fats, and even a bit on calories, to help stay satiated and keep me on the diet until my body can adapt. So I've been consistently under on the carbs but not alway under on fat or calories.

My starting goal is to stick to it for at least one month before I stop to think about it. That seems like a fair amount of time to give my body to get used to it.

One challenge I have coming up is heading to my father's for the holiday. He would look forward to cooking for me and he is an amazing cook. He would totally try to do keto if I asked, but I would definitely hear about it too! More so though is that I'm almost afraid to even let my aunt (who would be there) know that I'm dieting. The whole visit would be about 23 hours (for quarantine reasons), so I'm thinking of just calling it a cheat day and hoping for the best. I can definitely get away with gorging on brisket.

I'm also wondering how much to trust the net carb count on these processed keto foods that say they have like 20g carbs but 17g fiber. Can that really be so?!?

Sorry if that's a lot! I guess dieters need to talk about dieting, or at least apparently I do, and I'm so glad sunandsea started this thread so I can hop on. Thank you!

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/2/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

Sep 14, 2020 03:14PM flashlight wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had a good resource book on how to start. I saw a book on Amazon by Suzanne Ryan called Easy Keto. I'm not sure how to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Sep 14, 2020 04:45PM sunandsea wrote:

Hey Salamandra - welcome to the group!

I can't imagine what you're going through as a teacher right now, but I applaud you for continuing to take charge of your health. We all nudge our health goals forward for all sorts of different reasons...vanity included! That's how I started working out (finally) in my mid-30s - I wanted to look (and feel) good. As for keto, congrats on completing your first week! I found the first weeks and months to be tough, but then again, I was layering a new diagnosis and the pandemic on top of this new diet which was just crazy when I look back on things.

As for kitchen supplies, I love my InstantPot and toaster/air fryer combo appliance. Shredded chicken/pork and broiled fish are my go to's and are easy to prepare quickly and in batch if you're really feeling ambitious. A meat thermometer is great for checking the internal temp for roasts. I use mine probably once or twice a month.

As for macros, I kept mine pretty strict since I didn't want to lose weight while on treatment. It worked. These days, now that I'm on hormonal therapy, I've relaxed a bit and just follow the Diet Doctor website's often cited advice - stick to round 20g and eat to satiety. Re: your question about processed keto foods, I was curious about that too and honestly, I think it depends on the food and on how your body tolerates it. I was so excited to try the low carb (4g net carb) tortillas, but now that I'm wearing a continuous glucose monitor (CGM), I knew immediately that it was a no go for me. My doc advised me to keep my blood sugar between 70 and 110 mg/dl on the CGM and one tortilla shot me up to 128 within 30 minutes. Other foods that are higher in carbs, but not processed (like non leafy green veggies and beans), don't have the same effect. The CGM's great for keeping track of what works for me.

Go easy on yourself when eating out and visiting friends and fam...at least at the beginning. It's all a learning process. Just do the best you can as you explore this new way of eating. Brisket (w/ no sweet sauces) sounds like an excellent way to stay on track.

Dx at 40. Mama to 2 boys ages 13 and 11. Dx 1/31/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/11/2020 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 4/30/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/3/2020 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/3/2020 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/3/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 14, 2020 04:51PM sunandsea wrote:

Hi Flashlight - welcome!

Here are some resources:

Diet Doctor - www.dietdoctor.com

UCSF Low Carb Diet FAQ - https://osher.ucsf.edu/patient-care/integrative-me...

The Ketogenic Bible: The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis

BioDiet: The Scientifically Proven, Ketogenic Way to Lose Weight and Improve Your Health

Keto for Cancer: Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy

Sep 15, 2020 04:54PM flashlight wrote:

sunandsea, Thank you so much for the information. I have a lot of research to do and hope to get started soon!

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Page 2 of 2 (36 results)