Topic: Lynparza/Olaparib Anyone?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2018 12:18AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 12:19AM by geekness

Posted on: Feb 1, 2018 12:18AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 12:19AM by geekness

geekness wrote:

I'm looking to share side effects or just any updates on Lynparza / Olaparib. I just started targeted therapy on Jan 12th. Aside from a little heartburn at first (helped with OTC pill), I've now started some daily Immodium, which the pharmacy sent WITH the Lynparza. Lol. I've started to just feel plain odd and very emotional. I can usually keep it together. I'm wondering if anyone else is yet on this medication. I'm Brca1 Stage 4 (Triple Negative) with mets to lungs and sacrum/soft tissue. I was doing gemzar/Carbo until December, which was keeping three small modules in lungs stable, but not helping anything in sacrum. So we switched it up and both insurance and pharm are helping me with copays on the meds, which I know I am very lucky to have had happen. It seems I can't find a big group yet that's taking this drug to compare how they might be feeling and I'd love to try and connect with a few people. I think even that might help me get right in my brain for a bit.

Chemotherapy 9/1/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Dx 8/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 3, 0/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 4 of 11 (105 results)

Jun 21, 2019 01:32AM NouzayO wrote:

Hi Holly and Jimmy and anyone new to Lynparza! I’m unfortunately off Lynparza after a short 3-4 months but I know how frustrating it is to ask for input on a new drug and only hear crickets!

Lynparza was really tolerable for me .. initially I had some nausea and vomiting but after I timed my meals around the medication it was quite an easy ride. I really hoped it worked longer because quality of life was amazing!!

Wishing you all the best and please feel free to ask any

Dx 9/15/2016, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Hormonal Therapy 10/1/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 10/15/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy 4/1/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 12/9/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 2/13/2018 Doxil (doxorubicin) Targeted Therapy 5/13/2018 Verzenio Hormonal Therapy 5/15/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 1/11/2019 Lynparza

Jun 22, 2019 10:07AM hollyli1202 wrote:

Nouzay - thank you for responding. I am on day 2 of the drug. I have been eating small snacks before taking the pills. Are you BRCA+? I am assuming you progressed on it, hence the reason you're off of it.

Jun 22, 2019 09:33PM NouzayO wrote:

I tested negative for the BRCA gene but my liquid biopsy from Foundation One suggested that My tumor mutated to be BRCA positive so I have a somatic mutation not a genetic one .. even though this is not the ideal situation to use Lynparza, I still went for it because I really didn’t want to go back to IV chemos but if you have the gene you should be better off on this drug.

Dx 9/15/2016, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Hormonal Therapy 10/1/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 10/15/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy 4/1/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 12/9/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 2/13/2018 Doxil (doxorubicin) Targeted Therapy 5/13/2018 Verzenio Hormonal Therapy 5/15/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 1/11/2019 Lynparza

Jun 28, 2019 09:06PM vidya99 wrote:

Olaparib is not for BRCA1 positive? I thought it works for BRCA1 +ve.

Jul 3, 2019 10:05PM hollyli1202 wrote:

Vidya, Olaparib is for BRCA+. I don't think it worked for the somatic mutation Nouzay had.

Jul 8, 2019 10:56PM vidiot wrote:

Hi there, I just started Lynparza two weeks ago and so far it has been pretty easy as long as I take it with a little food. I'm BRCA2+ and have had steady progression through Ibrance/Faslodex and Taxol, so hoping for some better luck here! It doesn't seem like there are too many people taking this, but I'm hoping to hear more about others' experiences...

Jul 9, 2019 07:17PM hollyli1202 wrote:

Vidiot - I just started taking it two and a half weeks ago after faslodex and ibrance failed (3 months). It never worked for me. However, I know olaparib is working because in jusr the short time I have been on it, the lymph node in my supraclav area (which progressed on F/I), has shrunk to where I can't feel it! I am BRCA 2+. Hope that gives you hope! It isn't bad as long as you eat a little before taking the pills.

Jul 11, 2019 12:39AM - edited Dec 8, 2019 03:29AM by vidiot

That's fantastic, Hollyli1202, and I wish you continued success! I just learned that my tumor markers went up again, so I'm tempering my expectations, but it's early yet! Nice to see someone else taking this drug besides me...

Dec 7, 2019 06:44PM hollyli1202 wrote:

If anyone is reading this thread... I wanted to let you know I have been on Lynparza for 6 months now and it's working. My 3 month scan showed NED. My 6 month scan which was this past week shows I am still stable with NED.

Dec 8, 2019 03:32AM - edited Nov 23, 2020 06:08PM by vidiot

That is such great news — congrats! I too have been on for almost six months and am seeing some good results... significant shrinkage in both large tumors in my last scan. I've also found this treatment very easy in general. Hoping it keeps working for both of us for quite some time.

Page 4 of 11 (105 results)

Scroll to top button