Topic: New diagnosis 2 years after first diagnosis

Forum: Second or Third Breast Cancer — For those confronting a new primary diagnosis or undergoing treatment.

Posted on: Dec 11, 2020 05:06AM

Posted on: Dec 11, 2020 05:06AM

mememee wrote:

in early 2018, I had a bilateral mastectomy for high grade DCIS in my right breast and had 3 lymph nodes removed (all negative). I had DIEP flap reconstruction at the same time as the BXM. Both the surgical oncologist and the general oncologist said I didn’t need radiation or adjunctive therapies. I was monitored for recurrence with an MRI every 6 months. In May 2019 my MRI showed to foci in the same area as my original tumor. The oncologist, plastic surgeon and radiologist said it would be too difficult to biopsy and they would just watch it.

Fast forward to 2020, my husband lost his job and our health insurance. And because of covid my MRI was cancelled in May 2020. In August we moved to a new city where my husband got a new job. I found a new oncologist and she sent for an MRI immediately. It came back BIRADS 5 in the same place as the May 2019 MRI. A biopsy stereostatic was done last wee (was not hard to do).

My diagnosis is invasive micro-papillary cancer. This is my third primary cancer in less than 5 years (I had uterine cancer in 2016]. Now I have to wait to meet surgeons and am getting a petscan next week

Questions - since I have a flap, has anyone had one flap removed? I want to minimize difficulty of surgery recovery. Or is it beast to keep the flap. The tumor is behind my flap, on my chest wall.

The doctor said there are likely lymph nodes involved. I am 48 and feeling really scared that it is metastatic. I am afraid of doing chemo, the thought of poisoning myself seems wrong. Can anyone share their experience on doing chemotherapy, the good, bad and ugly.

I am angry that my Miami oncologist passed over doing a biopsy in 2019 stating it would be too difficult to do, even though it wasn’t hard at all.

Dx 10/17/2017, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/5/2017 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap Surgery 2/6/2018 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Surgery 5/23/2018 Reconstruction (Left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (Right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 12/7/2020, IDC: Papillary, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/9/2021 Lumpectomy Radiation Therapy 4/20/2021 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 4 of 4 (31 results)

Sep 20, 2022 04:28AM moderators wrote:

Hi ranger, and welcome to Breastcancer.org. We hope you find this to be a supportive place!

This thread hasn't been updated since April 2021, so we'd suggest you send the member you'd like to hear from a Private Message, so they can directly answer you. You could also start your own new topic in the Less Common Types of Breast Cancer forum and ask your question to our active members. It's easy to do: just click the link to the forum, select Start a New Topic, fill out the Subject and Body of the post, and click Submit. Don't forget to select the thread as a Favorite, so you can get notifications when someone responds to your post! Our FAQ section has detailed instructions on how to start a new topic, send private messages, and more.

Hope this helsp!

The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 4 of 4 (31 results)

Scroll to top button