Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

The rash on my arm - Drs visit

littlecatsfeet
littlecatsfeet Member Posts: 23
edited February 2017 in Lymphedema
Could this be due to lymphedema - or what caused this flare (in addition to the crazy heat we've been having up here!):

It's itchy!

I've been using a Zanfel knockoff, treating it as if it's poison ivy/oak/sumak - but would that make a lymphedema condition worse?

Thanks for looking at my icky pics

Leslie

Comments

• inspiewriter
    inspiewriter Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2006

I really don't know, but it could be a heat rash. Call your doc if the topical stuff doesn't take care of it.

• jinky
    jinky Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2006
    Hi There, I will try and post some pictures of rashes. I goggle it and clicked images.Le hugs jinky
    Put in rashes in search here.

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-15,GGLG:en&q=rashes
  • mags
    mags Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2006
    Hi Leslie, this is what happened to me when I had a flare up. Sorry it's out of focus but it does look similar.

http://community.breastcancer.org/ubbthr...ge=0#Post381523

Hope it's not lymphedema.
    Hugs
    Mags
  • NPat
    NPat Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2006
    I hate rashes!!
    It looks like blisters to me... hmmm... Caladryl... Cortaid... It your arm warm? Watch closely. These things can get so easily infected and then you need an antibiotic. If it becomes red and warm... head to the ER. Even minor tramas can cause the old LE to flair.... sigh....
    Pat
  • inspiewriter
    inspiewriter Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2006
    I just saw someone posting about something similar over on a low=carb board, thought it might trigger something for you:

"Second, I don't drink aspartame because when I do, I get tiny pus-filled bubbles on my hands. I cannot explain this in any way, but it does not occur when I drink Splenda sweetened beverages."

Do you drink a lot of diet sodas???
  • littlecatsfeet
    edited August 2006
    I don't drink soda at all, and can tell when the minutest amount of artificial sweetener is in anything I put in my mouth

100% sugar for me or NOTHING

My DH put some cortisone cream on it - not so red now, but sure is itchy.

I'm supposed to go to a friend's play in central CT tomorrow and sleep over Sunday night (our birthdays just went by, so we're celebrating!). I may not sleep over, just to see if I can see my doctor early Monday morning regarding this.

Don't want to let it go for too long - I've already read waaay too much on this and I don't want it to progress!

Leslie
  • nosurrender
    nosurrender Member Posts: 737
    edited August 2006
    That looks like poison ivy to me!
    Anything that would make the lymphatic fluid rush to an area can cause a flare of LE. But if you have been good so far it is probably just temporary.
    I had poison ivy on my bad LE arm last month. I took benadryl and the doc called in an RX for prednisone. That dried up the blisters. Any kind of rash will respond to benedryl so that can't hurt.

If you don't already have LE and you don't scratch it and get an infection, it may just go away by itself.

Keep an eye on it though. someone mentioned about watching to see if it becomes warm and red- you may need an anti-biotic if it does.

So Cousin on another note- My Bristol dad who lives in CT is going up to RI this week and you are coming down to CT- how funny is that?

I hope you feel better soon!!!
  • littlecatsfeet
    edited August 2006
    ns, bizarre!

Have been on ancestry.com, looking for our cousin link. I'll let you know when I find it

I should have picked up benadryl today - mind isn't functioning too well right now. After I found my arm problems I couldn't get to sleep until 4AM - and then I was wide awake at 7AM. Sux.

How bad is your LE?

Leslie
  • nosurrender
    nosurrender Member Posts: 737
    edited August 2006
    I have a pretty good family history- I had to because of the genetic testing! So let me know.

My LE was really bad last year. I went for treatments but they had to stop because I was getting blood clotting problems. I have a sleeve, but it doesn't work so well, it makes me worse. My LE is in my hand all the way up. So I have to bandage everyday. It isn't as bad as it sounds because I can see it improve with the bandages. I take them off at night.

When I first came out of rads I had LE of the chest. But that had a lot to do with the radiation infection. Once I had surgery to remove it the chest LE went down. Then FOUR YEARS later it showed up in my hand then my lower arm and now moving to the upper arm. BUT the good thing is, the hand is not as bad as it was so that has found chanels to drain the fluid out of and now it is at its worst from the wrist to above the elbow. My Goal is to make it get past that area, go to the upper arm and then OUT. They told me that can happen. But it takes time, patience, the bandaging, and my self massage.
    So for all the whining and complaining I did last summer... I don't know how these girls put up with me! I have gotten it to shift and move in the right direction.

The key is to catch it while it is still stage one, the pitting stage, which means if you press your thumb down into your skin the imprint remains but then pops back up again.

I am borderline stage 2 which means I have scar tissue from all the expanding and contracting the skin has done and it causes something called fibrosis. I don't care as long as I can get the fluid moving in the right direction.

Also- it is MUCH worse in the heat and humidity!!! Don't let the sun on it too. That can cause swelling.
  • bhull
    bhull Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2006
    I get little bumps like that in my elbow crease (my inside crease) especially with warm weather.

I put a splash of cornstarch powder on my inside elbow crease before putting on my sleave - this helps some. If the area is really sore and bumpy then I put a little cotton pad (found in the cosmetic area near cotton balls) over the crease area (after putting down powder first). It is kind of tricky to get the sleeve up without moving the little cotton pad, but it seems to help.

Could the bumps be due to the heat and sweating?
  • NPat
    NPat Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2006
    Dear bhull,
    Just a word of caution about cornstarch. If you have a fungal dermatitis, the cornstarch can make it spread. Fungi love sugar and cornstarch is a carbohydrate. Sooo, if you use it watch the area... sigh...
    Pat
  • bhull
    bhull Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2006
    Pat

Thanks for the info about the cornstarch powder. I stopped using talc powder because I heard talc was not healthy to be using. Now there is a reason to not use the cornstarch powder. As you put it...sigh...
    ~Barb
  • littlecatsfeet
    edited August 2006
    Stopped by the dr's office while running errands, and he took me right in (I love him :-)

Said that I have slight swelling, but he's pretty sure it's due to above rash (which isn't as angry as it was).

Wants me to use an OTC steroid cream. If it doesn't go away quickly, he wants me to see a dermatologist for something stronger.

Leslie
  • binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited August 2006
    Good! We're all for NO LYMPHEDEMA! Please let us know how it goes.
    Binney
  • javcas
    javcas Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2006

Oddly enough I had poison ivy all over my lymphedema arm this week. I asked my oncologist and he really helped by giving me decadron. Predisone is good too. It worked wonders. I think it does not look like poison ivy, but you never know. Regardless you should ask your doctor and get something to help. I am sure decadron or prednisone would help. It would definitely reduce inflamation and that would reduce your chances of getting a skin break and infection. I have had cellulitis twice so you have to watch out.

• jenco60
    jenco60 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2017

I finished chemo and radiation. I finished Herceptin and arimidex due to side effects. I have been drug free for 30 days and I am getting a continuous heat rash of clear small water blisters. Most are on my arms and shoulders. There is no way to take a picture of them because they do not stand out at all. They itch a little and when I scratch the baby blisters pop. I have NO infection or any reaction to them. Just wanted to share this. I do work out at the gym and I do sweat. Sometime my head is dripping wet from the work out. I still have no hair on top of my head.

Chemo: Taxotera, Carboplatin, Perjeta, Herceptin and then Neulasta: 6 treatments

Radiation 22 treatments

Side effects all the time.

Jen

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited February 2017

This is an 11 yr old Thread that has been inactive. The only person who posted when it was active that still comes to the BCO site is Binney It is often more product give to get replies to start a new Tread rather than pulling up a long time inactive Thread.

An appt. with a Dermatologist might be a good idea to deal with the skin issue.

(Added - filling out your Profile would help with replies that are pertinent to you.)

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited February 2017

Hi, Jen,

I'm really sorry you're dealing with yet another problem. Ugh! Have you checked off new lotions or laundry products that might be causing skin issues? Definitely a good idea to see a dermatologist, especially considering that latent lymphedema can result in an elevated infection risk. Here are guidelines for identifying symptoms of infection:

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Emergencies_and_Med...

It was sure fun to glance through this old thread and see old friends from the "dim and distant" past! Jinky, Npat, Nosurrender--we all pioneered together here, for sure--sorta like bc.org homesteaders!

Please do keep us posted and let us know what you discover. Be well,
    Binney