Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• paxton
    paxton Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2007
    Options

another bump

• Miss_Lolli
    Miss_Lolli Member Posts: 72
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Bumping for the January Jewels. Wink 
  • Miss_Lolli
    edited January 2008
    Options

How does this thread keep slipping to the second page? This is important stuff!

• Kara
    Kara Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2008
    Options

Bumping

• cinderella
    cinderella Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2008
    Options

hi, I live in hsv. who is your dr?

• GrammyNancy
    GrammyNancy Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2008
    Options

Bump

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,606
    edited January 2008
    Options

Thanks, ladies!

I start chemo (4 rounds of TC) on January 30th.  Will get my bag packed.  Did any of you have an "activity bag" that your mom took to church to keep you quiet????  This reminds me of that. :)

Sunshine

• suz45
    suz45 Member Posts: 85
    edited January 2008
    Options

Bumping up for Feb gals

suz

• nowwhat
    nowwhat Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Options

Thanks for the bump! I am reading and printing all these hints!

• lilith
    lilith Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2008
    Options

Great hints, and a footnote: it appears that Claritin can be used to off-set the side effect of Neulasta. I haven't tried that, but I wish I knew it at the time, as neulasta is great for our immune system, but feels really down for a couple of days.

• sheebas
    sheebas Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Options

bump

• Vz_mom
    Vz_mom Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2008
    Options

newbie question...what is "bump" and how does it work?

and a huge thank you to all who've posted what's worked for you.  because of the information, I feel far more ready to handle my first chemo next week.

be well...

Kalen

• flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    edited February 2008
    Options

"bump" just puts the topic back in the front of the line.

• wishiwere
    wishiwere Member Posts: 934
    edited February 2008
    Options

I know a lot of people have had problems with mouth sores, so wanted to add this idea.  It's always good to change your toothbrush every few months when you are healthy, but more important when you are doing chemo and at risk for infections.

I changed mine before starting and should have before now, but did so just after the 4th, b/c I started having sensitivity with brushing.  I would think every month or more often if you have problems with sores. 

Also...to keep your RBC's up.  Use peanut butter in everything.  Smoothies, on ice cream, toast, crackers, fruit and so on...... I had to did this when I did plasma donations to keep my counts up and I think it helped with the A/C too, b/c my counts never when down badly.

• msthanglila
    msthanglila Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2008
    Options

What should I pack in the chemo bag? 

What is the cream I can put on my port-a-cath location before I get stuck with the needle?

Who administers the Neulasta and Neuphogen shots?

Thank you!!!

• C-Babe
    C-Babe Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2008
    Options

bumping this up for contessa....

• BALYKI
    BALYKI Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2008
    Options

Something I didn't see mentioned is keep your mouth COLD while you are getting the doxorubicin.  I had mine IV push over 20 minutes and ate popcicles or slushes during that 20 minutes.  It decreases the blood flow in your mouth and  really works to prevent mouth sores.  You can use ice chips but they made me nauseous.

• gardencontessa
    gardencontessa Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Options

I have been told that my first tx will last appx 6-8 hrs. Any suggestions on what to take with me, other than what has neen posted, for such a long tx time?

PS: Great suggestions. Thanks to so much to all. 

• Vz_mom
    edited February 2008
    Options

contessa, I haven't had my first tx yet, but what I've gleaned from various sources on the site here is: music, a book, a blanket, WATER, a snack or two, more WATER, maybe a small pillow, and even a portable DVD player or laptop and a movie.

that's a long first tx.  the second half of mine will be that long, so I've been working on figuring it too.  good luck tomorrow!!

Kalen

• GrammyNancy
    GrammyNancy Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2008
    Options

bump for newbies

• msthanglila
    msthanglila Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2008
    Options

Who administers the Neulasta and Neuphogen shots? Or are they self-administered?

• Vz_mom
    edited February 2008
    Options

bump for the March 2008 group.

Lila, I'm getting a neulasta shot friday.  I'll let you know who does it, but it certainly won't be me.  I have to go back to the onc's office for it.

Kalen

• C-Babe
    C-Babe Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2008
    Options

Lila,

You can do them yourself, or have your doc/nurse do them. I have a friend who's a doc do them for me locally so I don't have to travel to the hospital; didn't want to learn how since I'll only have six shots over the course of my whole treatment (4 months).

Good luck...

C-Babe

• Vz_mom
    edited February 2008
    Options

bumping again for the March 2008 thread...come on, girls!!

• Vz_mom
    edited February 2008
    Options

just got back from my first treatment, and I'm going to add a suggestion - really dark sunglasses or an eyeshade.  that room was bright!!!

• wetcoast
    wetcoast Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2008
    Options

The question of who administers the neulasta is generally in the docs office. But I had to administer the neupogen shots myself. Or rather I should I say my husband who wanted to play doctor. No I am just to chicken to do it myself. I had a total of 7 starting two days following my chemo. The needles are very fine and you have different spots to choose from. Fronts of your thighs, stomach or backs of your arms. Just make sure that if you have nodes removed don't use that arm. I made the mistake of using the arm I had only 4 nodes removed from and it ached for days and scared the crap out of me. I just had my second chemo tx and start 6 more on friday but with a stronger strength. My white count was still to low.

• Miss_Lolli
    edited March 2008
    Options

bumping up

• HeatherBLocklear
    HeatherBLocklear Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2008
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time and trouble to post their advice and recommendations. What a lot we learn from one another. I've been terrified of the chemo, but now feel more reassured about what's coming up this next Tuesday. I've always found information to be reassuring, and I wish doctors would take the time to share more of it, or else train their personnel to do so. It might be due to the speed with which they're getting me into treatment, but I find that I'm going in totally uneducated except by what I'm reading on this forum.

Thanks again,

Annie

• Vz_mom
    edited March 2008
    Options

bumpety bump bump

• WildRose
    WildRose Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2008
    Options

I'm going to start making these, and test drive one myself next week. - please see my blog for details. I would be very grateful for your input. 

Dianna