Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,974
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi Bsjones, and welcome to our community. It may be that you need to start a new thread, as this one is a bit older. Just want you to.get some answers to your questions!

Medicating

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,089
    edited May 2020
    Options

It is my opinion that you should resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. The wisdone of the past is here & can be carried forward.

• Lisa1958
    Lisa1958 Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2020
    Options

This has good info!

• minustwo
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thanks Lisa. Although I didn't really contribute - I agree that this thread has GREAT info.

• Lisa1958
    edited December 2020
    Options

I wish I had something to contribute! I just started chemo and was l looking for help with symptoms.

• minustwo
    edited December 2020
    Options

Lisa - look for the current chemo thread. Probably December 2020. I found a lot of help going through with a group since everyone one is "on edge". I actually went back & read he month before. I'm still in touch with some of these ladies.

• minustwo
    edited December 2020
    Options
  • minustwo
    edited December 2020
    Options
  • Lisa1958
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thanks! Got better directions from oncologist this time. Also following Nov. and Dec.

lis

• DH320
    DH320 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi,

So I’m on day two of my first round of chemo and I have really bad pain in my bones. I received the Whit blood cell growth stimulating shot yesterday. Those pains today are no joke. Just have to whine a little to ppl who go thru similar situation. How long do those bone pains usually last

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited April 2021
    Options

Try NONdrowsey Claritin for pain. I know it sounds crazy to use that, a lot of the ladies here say it helps.

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi DH320, I had joint pain after the neulasta shot as well, mostly in my lower back & hips. It lasted ~ 24 hours. I'm sorry. I don't have any great tips to alleviate the pain. Did you get a pain med prescription from your MO? I took norco the first 2 days after the neulasta shot so I could sleep. I'm sorry you're enduring the side effects, Hang in there; I wish you the best.

• WC3
    WC3 Member Posts: 658
    edited April 2021
    Options

DH320:

I seem to recall the bone aches from the Neulasta lasting about three days. I took Claritin and stayed in bed on those days.

• AlwaysMeC
    AlwaysMeC Member Posts: 107
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi Everyone. I'll be starting TCHP on Thursday. I've gotten so many useful tips from these comments that I would never have thought of. Does anyone happen to know when is the best time to ice hands and feet? From reading the board, it sounds like there's certain drugs or chemo when I would want to ice, or do I have to ice the whole time?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited April 2021
    Options

always - the icing is usually for taxanes, I started 10 minutes before they started my Taxotere and continued for 10 minutes after. The infusion was about 60 minutes, so I iced for about 80 minutes total.It was the first drug they ran after my pre-meds but you need to ask what order you will have your infusions in so you’re ready. I iced hands and feet and brought my own supplies in a cooler. I also brought crushed ice in a Tervis insulated cup and tried to keep ice in my mouth to help prevent mouth sores. Good luck!