Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Illinois ladies facing bc

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,886

Personal prayer, it seems to me, is one of the simplest necessities of life, as basic to the individual as sunshine, food and water--and at times, of course, more so.  By prayer I mean an effort to get in touch with the Infinite.  We know that our prayers are imperfect.  Of course they are. We are imperfect human beings.  A thousand experiences have convinced me beyond room of doubt that prayer multiplies the strength of the individual and brings within the scope of his capabilities almost any conceivable objective.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

• illinoislady

Suffer me never to think that I have knowledge enough to need no teaching, wisdom enough to need no correction, talents enough to need no grace, goodness enough to need no progress, humility enough to need no repentance, devotion enough to need no quickening, strength sufficient without Your spirit; lest, standing still, I fall back for evermore.     -Eric Milner-White

• illinoislady

Nature hasn’t blended your mind so completely with your body, as to deny you the power of limiting yourself and bringing under control everything that you are. Always bear that in mind and, with it, remember how little is needed to live a happy life. Just because you’ve given up on becoming a great logician or a student of physics, don’t despair of being free, modest, unselfish, and obedient to the will of God. It’s quite possible to become a great sage and yet never be recognized.    -Marcus Aurelius

• illinoislady

I truly believe we can either see the connections, celebrate them, and express gratitude for our blessings, or we can see life as a string of coincidences that have no meaning or connection. As for me, I’m going to believe in miracles, celebrate life, rejoice in the views of eternity and hope my choices will create a positive ripple effect in the lives of others. This is my choice.

Mike Ericksen

• illinoislady

The wealth of the soul is the only true wealth.

Lucian

• illinoislady

If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon the heart.  The spirit should not grow old.       -James A. Garfield

• illinoislady

The single most empowering thing we can do for ourselves is to transform fear. While fear contains tremendous power, it doesn't propel us forward and upward, but, rather, drags us down and chains us to the past. Freeing ourselves from fear is a loving intention because, as fear subsides, we are better able to access the soft, sweet power of our hearts, which naturally leads to loving ourselves and others more freely and completely.

Sue Patton Thoele

• illinoislady

Joy is everywhere; it is in the earth’s green covering of grass; in the blue serenity of the sky; in the reckless exuberance of spring; in the severe abstinence of grey winter; in the living flesh that animates our bodily frame; in the perfect poise of the human figure, noble and upright; in living, in the exercise of all our powers; in the acquisition of knowledge. . . Joy is there everywhere.     -Rabindranath Tagore

• illinoislady

Nothing is too great or too good to be true. Do not believe that we can imagine things better than they are. In the long run, in the ultimate outlook, in the eye of the Creator, the possibilities of existence, the possibilities open to us, are beyond our imagination. Joseph Wood Krutch

• illinoislady

Nothing is too great or too good to be true. Do not believe that we can imagine things better than they are. In the long run, in the ultimate outlook, in the eye of the Creator, the possibilities of existence, the possibilities open to us, are beyond our imagination.

Joseph Wood Krutch

• illinoislady

Forgiveness enables you to bury your grudge in the icy earth and put the past behind you. You flush resentment away by being the first to forgive. Forgiveness fashions your future. It is a brave and brash thing to do. The gutsiest decision you can make. As you forgive others, winter will soon make way for springtime as fresh joy pushes up through the soil of your heart. Forgiveness is a stunning principal, your ticket out of hate and fear and chaos. I know what regret feels like; I’ve earned my credentials. But I also know what forgiveness feels like, because God has so graciously forgiven me. Forgiveness frees you of the past so you can make good choices today.     -Barbara Johnson

• illinoislady

Adversity is like the period of the rain. . . cold, comfortless, unfriendly to people and to animals; yet from that season have their birth the flower, the fruit, the date, the rose and the pomegranate.     -Walter Scott

• illinoislady

If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair.  We'd never
    have a friendship.  We'd never go into business, because we'd be cynical.
    Well, that's nonsense.  You've got to jump off cliffs all the time
    and build your wings on the way down.

Ray Bradbury

• illinoislady

"Keep in mind that the true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him absolutely no good."

~ Ann Landers

• illinoislady

Many of us cannot grasp the truth that the time allotted to uson this earth is sufficient for all the Lord has planned for us to do.We don’t need one minute more or one minute less to get the job done:Our greatest fear is running out of time. So we hurry through lifetrying desperately to get everything done: working overtime, eatingfast food in the car, and racing down the freeway. . . . Today, this very day, why don’t you think of something that takes a bit of extra time to do and do it. . . . Maybe it will be an act of generosity, or a moment of kindness directed towards a loved one or a stranger. Perhaps it will be simply singing a hymn of praise and thanksgiving because your heart is so full of gratitude. Don’t wait for another time. Rejoice in this day and be glad. Luci Swindoll

• illinoislady

A tree says:  My strength is trust.  I know nothing about my fathers, I know nothing about the thousand children that every year spring out of me.  I live out the secret of my seed to the very end, and I care for nothing else.  I trust that God is in me.  I trust that my labor is holy.  Out of this trust I live.

Hermann Hesse

• illinoislady

This we know. The Earth does not belong to people; people belong to the Earth. This we know. All things are connected like blood which unites one family. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. People did not weave the web of life; we are merely strands in it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. Attributed to Chief Seattle

• illinoislady

It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a person stands up for an ideal or strikes out against injustice, he or she sends forth a tiny ripple of hope and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.     -Robert F. Kennedy

• illinoislady

Let us learn to accept ourselves--accept the truth that we are

capable in some directions and limited in others, that genius is

rare, that mediocrity is a portion of almost all of us, but that

we can contribute from the storehouse of our skills to the enrichment of our common life.

Joshua Liebman

• illinoislady

There are six principles of abundant living which, when woven together, produce a tapestry of contentment that wraps us in inner peace, well-being, happiness, and a sense of security.  First there is gratitude. When we do a mental and spiritual inventory of all that we have, we realize that we are very rich indeed.  Gratitude gives way to simplicity--the desire to clear out, pare down, and realize the essentials of what we need to live truly well.  Simplicity brings with it order, both internally and externally. A sense of order in our life brings us harmony.  Harmony provides us with the inner peace we need to appreciate the beauty that surrounds us each day, and beauty opens us to joy.  But just as with any beautiful needlepoint tapestry, it is difficult to see where one stitch ends and another begins. Sarah Ban Breathnach

• illinoislady

I stood still, paralyzed by the beauty and the magic of this moment. Everything stopped, even my breath. Like a sloth, I didn’t want to move. There was nowhere else I needed or wanted to be. Standing there absorbing the beauty of this place, I stepped out of time. In this timeless moment, I saw and felt the unity of all things. There it was all around me: the chaos of the natural world, silently woven into a tapestry of exquisite, perfect order. I felt at one with the trees, rocks, plants, birds, insects, squirrels, leaves, and water. A witness to this sacred scene, I felt humbled and blessed to be given this moment.

So, this is what the slow lane is about, I realized. Sipping and savoring tiny moments, stopping the clock and slipping out of time, feeling my own heart begin to synchronize with the rhythms of nature and being in the presence of the sacred. Not bad learning for a single visit. I can see possibilities here.

And then, the moment ended and time began again. Reluctantly, I headed back to “civilization”. I could hear the ever-present music of the freeway in the distance. Back to business as usual, the world full of cars, trucks and the people inside them; barreling towards their destinies at speeds too fast to notice life.

Judith Rich

• illinoislady

How tremendously valuable is the power of joy and laughter to enliven our soul as we go forward to meet our goals. Laughter can lift us over the high ridges and lighten up the dark valleys in a way that makes life much easier. A happy heart generates a forcefield of love and joy in which doubt, fear, disaster, and dismay have no power to interrupt the universal flow of good. And in some instances, laughter has been considered to be a high form of prayer! Truly, when you are in the consciousness of the joy of spirit, you are praying from the very heart of your being.

John Marks Templeton Worldwide Laws of Life

• illinoislady

The firm, the enduring, the simple, and the modest are near to virtue.

Confucius

• illinoislady

Our imagination is the most important faculty we possess.  It can be our greatest resource or our most formidable adversary.  It is through our imagination that we discern possibilities and options.  Yet imagination is no mere blank slate on which we simply inscribe our will.  Rather, imagination is the deepest voice of the soul and can be heard clearly only through cultivation and careful attention.  A relationship with our imagination is a relationship with our deepest self.

Pat B. Allen

• illinoislady

Contentment. . . comes as the infallible result of great acceptances, great humilities—of not trying to make ourselves this or that (to conform to some dramatized version of ourselves), but of surrendering ourselves to the fullness of life—of letting life flow through us.

David Grayson

• illinoislady

Love is the great transformer, turning ambition into aspiration, selfishness into service, greed into gratitude, getting into giving and demands into dedication.

unattributed

• illinoislady

If religion commands universal charity, to love our neighbors as ourselves, to forgive and pray for all our enemies without any reserve; it is because all degrees of love are degrees of happiness, that strengthen and support the Divine life of the soul, and are as necessary to its health and happiness, as proper food is necessary to the health and happiness of the body.

William Law

• illinoislady

Free will is not the liberty to do what one likes, but the power of doing whatever one sees ought to be done, even in the very face of otherwise overwhelming impulses. There lies freedom indeed.

George MacDonald

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

We find by losing. We hold fast by letting go. This seems to be close to the heart of that mystery. I know no more than I ever did about the far side of death or the last letting-go of all, but now I know that I don't need to know, and that I do not need to be afraid of not knowing. God knows. That is all that matters.

Frederick Buechner