Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Illinois ladies facing bc

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,886

We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.     -The Talmud

• illinoislady

It is a glorious privilege to live, to know, to act, to listen, to behold, to love. To look up at the blue summer sky; to see the sun sink slowly beyond the line of the horizon; to watch the worlds come twinkling into view, first one by one, and the myriads that no person can count, and lo! the universe is white with them; and you and I are here.     -Marco Morrow

• illinoislady

"One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others."

~ Robert A. Heinlein

• illinoislady

I shall open my eyes and ears. Once every day I shall simply stare at a tree, a flower, a cloud, or a person. I shall not then be concerned at all to ask what they are but simply be glad that they are. I shall joyfully allow them their "divine, magical, and ecstatic" existence.

Clyde S.Kilbe

• illinoislady

Over the years I have come to believe that life is full of unchosen circumstances, that being human has to do with the evolution of our individual consciousness and with it, responsibilities for choice. Pain and joy both come with life. I believe that how we respond to what happens to us and around us shapes who we become and has to do with the psyche or the soul’s growth.

Jean Shinoda Bolen

• illinoislady

As yesterday is history, and tomorrow may never come, I have resolved from this day on, I will do all the business I can honestly, have all the fun I can reasonably, do all the good I can willingly, and save my digestion by thinking pleasantly.

Robert Louis Stevenson

• illinoislady

Diversity is not about how we differ.

Diversity is about embracing one another's uniqueness.

Ola Joseph

• illinoislady

Looking for and enjoying beauty is another way to nourish the soul.  The universe is in the habit of making beauty.  There are flowers and songs, snowflakes and smiles, acts of great courage, laughter between friends, a job well done, the smell of fresh-baked bread. Beauty is everywhere, ready to nourish the soul.  It must only be seen to begin helping us.

Matthew Fox

• illinoislady

When I think of my past, I try to dwell on the good times, the happy moments, and not to be haunted by the bad. . . To me the gift of life is contained in the command, whatever happens: “Don’t let it get you. Just keep on going.” Thus, I try to think of the good that I have already experienced and what will still be coming. Rose Kennedy

• illinoislady

Once one has encountered God everything is changed.  One does not lead a charmed life—but it is amazing how charming the commonplace can become. One still has heavy work to do but one works with assurance and poise. One still has temptations to meet but they have been robbed of most of their power. One runs into adversity, but the inner certainty remains.

Albert E. Day

• illinoislady

One ship drives east and another west,

With the self-same winds that blow;

'Tis the set of the sails and not the gales

That determines where they go.

Like the winds of the sea are the ways of fate,

As we voyage along through life;

'Tis the set of a soul that decides its goal--

And not the calm or the strife.

Ella Wheeler Wilcox

• illinoislady

There is one thing we can do, and the happiest people are those who do it to the limit of their ability. We can be completely present. We can be all here.  We can give all our attention to the opportunity before us.

Mark Van Doren

• illinoislady

You are a child of the universe, “fearfully and wonderfully made.”  In the history of creation, there has never been anyone like you.  Accept this reality about yourself— that you are a special, unique human being who has a place on this earth that no one else can fill.  Acknowledge yourself as a glorious expression of your loving Creator.  This healthy self-love will form the foundation of a joyful and satisfying life.  Then, as you love and accept yourself, your inner light will shine outward to bless and heal your fellow human beings.

Douglas Bloch

• illinoislady

If only the people who worry about their liabilities would think about the riches they do possess, they would stop worrying. Would you sell both your eyes for a million dollars . . . or your two legs. . . or your hands. . . or your hearing? Add up what you do have, and you’ll find that you won’t sell them for all the gold in the world. The best things in life are yours, if you can appreciate yourself.     -Dale Carnegie

• illinoislady

The more complexity, the more issues.  The more simplicity, the fewer difficulties.  If you find yourself in a complicated situation, look for the simple way out.  The scientific theorem Occam’s razor, put forth by 14th-century English logician William of Occam, states, “The simplest answer tends to be the correct one.”  We have been led to believe that an answer is not valid unless it is complicated.  But then again, we have been led to believe lots of things that are not true.

Alan Cohen
    The Tao Made Easy

• illinoislady

Remember, what you possess in the world will be found at the day of your death to belong to someone else, but what you are will be yours forever.        -Henry van Dyke

• illinoislady

The highest reward for people's
    toil is not what they get for it
    but what they become by it.

John Ruskin

• illinoislady

It's been said that to wonder is to begin to understand.  Wonder most definitely creates possibilities!  Where's your sense of wonder?  Have you gotten so bogged down in the minute-to minute "stuff" that  life has become dull?  Bring forth your curious, creative, sense of wonder  and dust if off -- lighten up and wonder about everything!  We are all amazing and awesome beings and our world is extraordinary even when days may be dark.  A sense of wonder reminds us of just how vast the unknown is and how much we have to learn each day.

Beth Burns

• illinoislady

I believe that the first test of a truly great person is his or her humility.  I do not mean by humility, doubt of his or her own powers. But really great people have a curious feeling that the greatness is not in them, but through them.  And they see something divine in every other person.

John Ruskin

• illinoislady

No one can get inner peace by pouncing on it, by vigorously willing to have it.  Peace is a margin of power around our daily need.  Peace is a consciousness of springs too deep for earthly droughts to dry up.  Peace is the gift not of volitional struggle but of spiritual hospitality.  Peace is an awareness of reserves from beyond ourselves, so that our power is not so much in us as through us.

Harry Emerson Fosdick

• illinoislady

We are all capable of living lives characterized by great joy.  Within each of us is an amazing human spirit that is strong enough to overcome pain and disappointment and no matter what our current situation happens to be, or what beliefs we may currently harbor about ourselves, we can tap into that inner strength and wisdom and move forward to create more joy.

Salle Merrill Redfield

• illinoislady

You will not grow if you sit in a beautiful flower garden, but you will grow if you are sick, if you are in pain, if you experience losses, and if you do not put your head in the sand, but take the pain and learn to accept it, not as a curse or punishment but as a gift to you with a very, very specific purpose.    -Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross

• illinoislady

No doubt we would all agree with the sentiment: “There’s more to life than things.” Yet much of our lives seem to be spent in the acquisition, maintenance, and disposal of material goods.  Certainly we cannot enjoy the basics of food, shelter, and clothing without a concern for things. The truly important things of life, however, are those which cannot be encountered by the physical senses, purchased with money, or placed on a shelf. When we take a look at what we value most in life, we generally find family, friends, health, peace, contentment, laughter, helping others, and communion with God foremost on our list of priorities.

unattributed

• illinoislady

“Call it enchantment, the difference between the time-bound and the timeless, between us and the otherworldly. All beauty and art evoke harmonies that transport us to a place where, for only seconds, time stops and we are one with the world. It is the best life has to offer. Under the spell of beauty, we experience a rare condition called plenitude, where we want for nothing.”

Andre Aciman

• illinoislady

Practice being gentle, respectful and loving toward the life force
    in all things.  Remind yourself that your efforts do make a difference, 
    even if you think they are miniscule in comparison
    to the magnitude of the problem.

Wayne Dyer

• illinoislady

The world is so empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers, and cities; but to know someone who thinks and feels with us, and who, though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• illinoislady

The greatest prayer you could ever pray be to laugh everyday.  For when you do, it elevates the vibratory frequency within your being such that you could heal your entire body. Ramtha

• illinoislady

There is no physician like cheerful thought for dissipating the ills of the body; there is no comforter to compare with good will for dispersing the shadows of grief and sorrow. To live continually in thoughts of ill will, cynicism, suspicion, and envy, is to be confined in a self-made prison hole. But to think well of all, to be cheerful with all, to patiently learn to find the good in all—such unselfish thoughts are the very portals of happiness; and to dwell day by day in thoughts of peace toward every creature will bring abounding peace to their possessor.    -James Allen

• illinoislady

Our relationships are our sacred responsibilities, for they are the framework within which life is lived. They show us where we have more learning and loving to do. Our interactions with others call up the disabling beliefs and negative patterns of behavior we need to release—the cynicism, anger, resentment, and jealousy that block love’s flow. Our relationships are our mirrors; they reflect where we are in consciousness. And if we are willing to face the truth about ourselves, our relationships offer the lessons that lead to our greatest transformation.     -Susan L. Taylor

• illinoislady

The mere thought of walking outdoors on a brilliant golden-blue day causes fire-works of delight to go off in most people’s psyche. It gives one an instant feeling of happiness and that is meditation! We are not only in touch, at that moment, with the physical splendor of nature, but also with the beauty of merging our own spiritual nature with it. Karen Zebroff