Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Success Stories!

Options

Comments

• cher
    cher Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2005
    Options

this is great...all these success stories. This is exactly what I needed to finish up my chemo. I would like to hear more stories....keep them coming! They are so helpful and it is important to know that we are not statics and we are people fighting a battle...and we can win! I have a lot of living to do still!

• Sachi
    Sachi Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Hmmmm......I can't seem to get that post to just go away. I'm not hiding anything - I just hate to keep repeating myself! Oh well... here I go again....I'm posting here because I think this is such a wonderful thread and I want to make sure all our newbies see it.

Barb
  • Fitztwins
    Fitztwins Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2005
    Options

I want to thank everyone who posted with Stage III stories. I am going through treatment now and was depressed about my staging, but you all give me hope! Yeah!

• slonedeb
    slonedeb Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2005
    Options

girls i guess this is kind asucess story. i was dx in oct 04 mastnov2004 stage2a neg nodes er postive.never done chemo on tamoxifen now.had scare with other breast 3-15-05 lump was found but thank jesus it was nothing doing alright on the tamoxifen except for hotflashes and not sleeping very well girls all of you hang in there and keep your eyes on jesus he will pull you through this valley we are al in right now take care and love to you all deb238 from chatroom

• LynnW
    LynnW Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Hi,
    Liz I'm a wildlife artist and met a woman several years ago at an art show. Her name is Bett Fairbanks. She is around 65 now and paints still lifes of pearls and wine glasses etc in beautiful collages. Anyway,, I befriended her daughter and we stayed friends everysince. She told me of her mothers breast cancer and masectomy back when she was 40 years old and a single mother. It spread to her spine but she goes for treatment and is on Arimidex. She's lived 25 years since having surgery and refusing chemo. She opted for radiation and they put her on tamoxifen but switched to the Arimidex. Recently I under went a bilateral masectomy and am about to start chemo. My friend emails me every day and reminds me of her moms triumph. Back then 9 lymph node involvement was a death sentece. I have 12 on one side and 3 on the other. But nothing has spread yet so I hang onto Betts story. She's a tough women that wouldn't let the doctors tell her there was little hope. Just think. Things have come so far since then. Its more that just hope that fuels us to not give up.

My mother was diagnosed at 35 but it had metastesized to her intenstines. She let it go too long before diagnosis. Even with that... she took experimental drugs and lived 11 more years.

Good luck
    Lynn
  • Unknown
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has posted here. What an uplift!
    If there are any more of you who have stories please post them. I have been so discouraged and after reading these posts I now know it is possible - it possible to survive this.
  • MsMonty
    MsMonty Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I have family visiting with me to support me through my first chemo and they told me about an aunt who had a breast removed when she was 35...three years later the other breast. She is now 71 and has outlived her husband. She just recently had a check up and is clear and good to go

Sharon
  • Unknown
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Sharon,

Thank you for posting about your aunt. What a fortunate story for you to have within your own family . I wish you the best with your chemo. I just finished my 4th this past Friday and last. Oh, and I do have a success story that I just heard of from a friend of mine. A woman who lives on our island (Nantucket) is in her late 70's and had a double masectomy about 30 or more years ago. She underwent chemo and possibly radiation and survived it all.

Great news - apparently what she demanded to have at that time was a bit contoversial I wonder if her husband being a doctor had anything to do with it.

Sincerely,

Valeri

• Carolina
    Carolina Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2005
    Options
    That's me. 14 positive nodes, out of 14. That's encouraging.
    Carolina
  • zeamer3
    zeamer3 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2005
    Options

These are so inspiring! Kicking back to the top!

• Beverley
    Beverley Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Hi Everyone - This is not my success story although I hope to have one in a few years (diagnosed last October 2004). My sister was a nurse in a small town in southern Ontario and she was telling me about 10-15 years ago a young woman who had just given birth to twin girls (one had a birth defect) was diagnosed with breast cancer with mets to her bones. My sister remembers this young lady saying I have to get better - who will look after my little girls if I am not here. Bear in mind this is a number of years ago and both her doctor and my sister didn't think there was a lot of hope as the treatments were not as advanced as they are today. My sister is retired from the nursing profession now and so with her extra free time decided to join an aquafit class - guess who also takes those classes? Both of her girls are one year away from graduating from High School and she is going to be around to see it - and a lot more. Everytime I get down in the dumbs I think of this yound woman.

Bev
  • Unknown
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I love reading these stories and hope that more will be posted soon. Please, anyone with an inspiriring story type one in this section. It is so uplipting to read about people who have made it through all of this. It gives hope and reassurance at a time when we most need it.
    Sincerely,
    Valeri
  • saleboat
    saleboat Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2005
    Options

I'm newly dx and had no idea that the woman who owns my company has had bc twice! She had a radical masec. about 20 years ago (no chemo) and a lumpectomy and radiation about 5 years ago. She is in her 70's, travels the world fearlessly, skis about 70 days a year, and lives a life full of laughter and good cheer.

• Sue888
    Sue888 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I was diagnosed March 03, with 2 positive nodes out of 15, Grade 3 tumour 2.5cms. I had a lumpectomy, chemo, rads. I took Tamoxifen half dose for 6 months after doing a lot of research and decided to stop taking it. So far I am doing fine, no recurrence or mets. I have become vegan (apart from 1 egg a week) and have organic veg juice 2/3 times a week. I have ground flaxseed every morning in my muesli and some soy, but dont overdose on it. I am enjoying the diet, I have had to be imaginative! My husband's hayfever has disappeared since he stopped dairy!! I know that makes no sense.

The farmer who farms next to our house told me his mother was diagnosed at 29, had a mastectomy and nothing else in those days and lives to be 75!! A lady I work with, her mother had a double mastectomy 30 years ago and is still alive but has lots of other problems but not BC. 2/3rds of people survive!!

Love Sue
  • sierra03
    sierra03 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Sue
    I to stopped tomoxifen after 8 months of feeling lousy on it. I had stage 3B, with 9/9 lymph nodes, rad. masactomy, chemo, radiation. Failed implants. I was so tired of not feeling well. My hot flashes where unbearable, and tired all the time. So after 2 weeks of being off I am finally starting to feel good again. I did a lot of research also.
    I am tired of poisons in my body.
    Hope you continue to do well also
    Sierra03
  • JulieP
    JulieP Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thank goodness for this thread. I hear too many depressing stories. This one made me feel much better today. Keep up the good thoughts ladies!
  • carole8589
    carole8589 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2005
    Options
    Thank you so much for this thread! I look at this website all the time, but it's this thread that made me finally log in. I was diagnosed Oct. 2004 with Stage IIIa, 7 of 7 pos nodes. Tumor only 1.2cm and nodes all axillary, but I guess new path guidelines make stage IIIa instead of IIa due to number of nodes. Had lumpectomy, chemo, rads, and now on Arimidex. Anyway, the success story is my mom's good friend who met with me after my diagnosis to tell me her story. She was stage IIIa 20 years ago when survival rates were really low. She had mastectomy and chemo (not sure about rads) and is doing great today, 20 years later and NED! Thanks for all the positive stories, they really give me a boost when I'm down!
  • Sachi
    Sachi Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I sure would love to see this thread moved up to the top where it will be seen by more people. its my favorite thread and I know to look for it. Some of our newbies might not scroll down this far.

Barb
  • litatimms
    litatimms Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2005
    Options

My sister is 38 and was diagnosed with BC in October 2004. It is Grade 3 with 8 positive lymph nodes. I would really appreciate any success stories of a similar diagnosis so that I can pass them on to my sister. She is extremely worried and upset so this would help. THANK YOU!

• Unknown
    edited June 2005
    Options

hi i had to reschedule a appt. to take my mom to chemo. i told the lady i had to take my mom. she said hold on i will make you another appt. then she said i had bc in 1988. she is doing great.

• zeamer3
    zeamer3 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2005
    Options

I'm sending this back to the top for all newbies and those of us that need a lift every now and then!

• JeanOneal
    JeanOneal Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2005
    Options
    I would like to give what I believe is a success story. Had masectomy, chemo (arymacin and Taxol)-4 mos., radiation (35 sessions); 15 positive lymph nodes and was told by my local oncologist that she saw "no light at the end of the tunnel for me"(all of this was in 04). Also my tumor markers doubled in Jan. of this year and again in March after all the above had been done. I also started on Arimidex in Dec. and have made 3 trips to the Cancer Center in Zion, Ill. (which I would recommend to anyone!). Was told in April that I had cancer under my left clavicle, my lungs and 14 suspicious spots in my liver and I was to be tried on Erbitux, Tarceva or IRessa in June. In June-my petscan showed NOTHING under my clavicle, in my lungs or liver. I GIVE THE CREDIT TO THE LORD AND MUCH PRAYER I HAVE RECEIVED.I do not have to go on any of the 3 abovementioned chemos. As my tumor markers continue to go down, I am grateful to Arimidex as miserable as I have been on it (with bone pain and nausea). Hope this encourages someone out-there
  • Leee
    Leee Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2005
    Options
    My mom had bilateral mastectomy 21 yrs ago when diagnosed with Pagets of the nipple and IDC.

She is still doing great and cancer free!

My 1yr is coming up in August
  • Catherine
    Catherine Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Jeano, that is wonderful news. I'm so happy you are doing so well.

Catherine
  • carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2005
    Options
    bringing to the top for newcomers to read..
    and post.
    michelle
  • cilla74
    cilla74 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2005
    Options

My mother was diagnosed 14 years ago this month with extensive DCIS, her breast was black and blue, her tumour was 4.5 cm. She is doing great, never had another primary tumour or recurrence from her 1st bc diagnosis (mets). I also known another lady that was diagnosed 13 years ago and she is too doing great !

• genamagouirk
    genamagouirk Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2005
    Options

My grandmother found a lump during a BSE and was diagnosed in her early 50s (almost 30 years ago), had a mastectomy with no chemo or radiation, never had a recurrence, and died at age 78 from a totally unrelated illness. And think of the advancements we've had in treatments since then!

• lesleyA
    lesleyA Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2005
    Options
    i LOVE this thread!
    thank you.xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Unknown
    edited October 2005
    Options
    hi,
    my husband was talking to a friend of his and told him of my mom having breast cancer .
    he told us his wifes grandmother had bc 20 yrs ago .
    come to find out she was the lady who climbed the telephone poles. she is retired now doing great. she had a mast.
    she has never let it bring her down plus jokes about climbing poles since her mast
    god bless
  • Catherine
    Catherine Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Bringing this to the top for the new gals.

Catherine