Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Success Stories!

Options

Comments

• watergirl
    watergirl Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2006
    Options
    A friend at work shared with me that she had breast cancer when she was 19, had lumpectomy and chemo (no rads), she is in her late 40s with no reoccurance.

My fiance's aunt had breast cancer when she was in her mid-forties, had both breasts removed in radial mast. (no chemo or rads) and is still going strong into her 80s.
  • dargues
    dargues Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I was diagnosed with b c in oct 2004 some lymph s were affected waent through lumpectomy and chemo and radiation therapy and my mammo was clear in dec. but its still hard to deal with even an ache or a pain and i scared its back. your stories of survival are a great tonic to me and help me deal with how i feel thanks everyone lizzie uk.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Member Posts: 282
    edited June 2006
    Options

I'm glad to hear that Lizzie. That's what this board is all about ~ success, support, understanding and learning from one another. I'm sorry that you had to join us, we all of us wish we didn't have to be dealing with bc, but I'm glad you've come to the board ~ you are in very good company indeed. And you're right ~ we are always conscious and aware that it might come back but we always pray that it won't!

• lori1964
    lori1964 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2006
    Options

I really need to come to this thread more often.. I need to hear these stories.. I'm not even on my 2nd chemo yet and I have been thinking about it coming back.. I was fine with everything until this past Sunday and now I'm thinking about things that I shouldn't be thinking about for a few more months though..... Thanks for all your great stories, we need more of them..

• shabies
    shabies Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I am starting a site so people like us can read all the cancer survivor stories we need in order to have the hope and inspiration required to battle this disease. please visit www.mymomhascancer.com and submit your stories.
    I am sure all your stories will be gladly appreciated and prove to be inspiring. A good way to give back to the cancer community.

www.mymomhascancer.com

Thanks,
    Shabbi Khan
  • jasmine
    jasmine Member Posts: 773
    edited May 2008
    Options
    shabbi

I thought you said in another thread that you were writing a book and hoped to get a book deal if you got enough stories. Sorry, but you may not profit off of my misfortune.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Member Posts: 282
    edited June 2006
    Options

If that's true Jasmine, that is very shabby indeed.

• zeamer3
    zeamer3 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Ladies,

I recently purchased a book entitled, "The Breast Cancer Prevention and Recovery Diet" by Suzannah Olivier. She is a 15 year breast cancer survivor with Stage III disease and 8 positive nodes! Her book is full of common sense and great tips and I highly recommend it. It seems to have worked for her! I figure, it can only help me and my overall health.
  • carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Thought I would share some more stories...from my family.
    My uncle (Not BC)but we were with him this weekend.
    He survived throat cx at 60 (trachiotemy) very deadly cx,now he's a 5 year lung cancer survivor...no recurrence of either. He's now 83.
    In my family, myself and 3 aunts dx in the past 5 years. no recurrences all doing well.As is my childhood friend reaching 5 years later stage 3...
    Michelle
  • anthonyswoman
    anthonyswoman Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I love all these stories they help me in a way although I don't have bc so the doctor said but I have a big knot that I'm haveing it taken out and tested, but my aunt got bc and had to go through cemo and lost all of her hair and they had her hooked up to alot of mechines, but she is done with treatment and moveing on she's so happy and all these stories give me hope and a blessing that she can make it for so many more years with out the worrie of bc. Thank all of you for all the support and stories. God bless yoou all.

Latrisha
  • suemaria
    suemaria Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2006
    Options

This is a brilliant idea. The stories are very uplifting. I would love a few more success stories relating to stage1V, this would be an added bonus.

• carmelle
    edited July 2006
    Options
    to the top for newcomers....
    when i was at work this week met a man connection from my old town. he reminded me of his friend's mom who after mast and treatment was dx stage 4 Bc/brain tumor (had tx again)...sold the house and moved to the small ocean town.
    seven years ago and still NED!!!!
    Michelle
  • Aussie_Sharon
    Aussie_Sharon Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Hi Guys
    I haven't been to the boards for sooo long...I have just had my 4th year anniversary since diagnosed in July 2002.
    I've been going great, my boys are now in there late teens, 16 & 18....growing into young men. My eldest will be heading off to Uni next year, he's working for 12 months to get some funds behind him.....uni is a cool 750km away so that will be huge for us all!!!!
    I'm back into the gym, and just awaiting each new adventure that comes our way.

My hubby and I have just ordered a new BMW enduro bike - we were inspired by Ewen McEwen's "long way round" DVD and just had to have one....so we will see where the roads take us, planning a trip up the middle of Australia to see my Sister. Should be great, can't wait!!!!

It's been 2 years since my last Herceptin, and I am just praying very soon the Australian Government will allow this great drug to go on the PBS so all women with early breast cancer that have the HER2 receptor can access this potentially life saving drug.

All the best to everyone. See you all in a few more years.

love Sharon
  • Odalys
    Odalys Member Posts: 929
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hello all,
    I just discovered this thread and I absolutely love it. Thank you all for sharing.

My former next door neighbor was diagnosed with lung cancer and was told she had six months to live. That was more than 10 years ago!!! She has gone through various surgeries but continues to live her life and has even found herself a younger boyfriend.

May our spirit be as strong and courageous as the one in these stories and may we all live to be at least 100!

Odalys
  • Adnerb
    Adnerb Member Posts: 727
    edited August 2006
    Options

Hi, I'm a triple negative and a one year survivor. Hopefully I will come back next year and have the same report. Yeah! I love this thread. Thanks for starting it.

• carmelle
    edited August 2006
    Options

keep more stories coming...

• carmelle
    edited September 2006
    Options

to the top...

• jz20022001
    jz20022001 Member Posts: 17
    edited September 2006
    Options
    It's three years out for me now and I'm doing fine.

Catherine
  • jan125
    jan125 Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2006
    Options
    ok girls I have some for you....a frienf of mine, her cousin has has metastaic bone cancer for 5 years, mets to the spine were killed with chemo and has been NED since.

One of my bosses stage 3 many nodes invloved, has been NED 8 years, battled breast canccer along with M.S. (if she can battle both then I can beat 1 right?)

My Aunt's 1 year anniversary just passed. cancer in both breast , extensive lymph invlovment in the left- is doing great)

And not bc, but my great aunt is 16 years out from eshopogeal (is that spelled right?) cancer

And 1 more "beating the odds story" my friend's Dad has in desperat4e need of a liver transplant or face death, it was just a matter of time, well that was 23 years ago, no transplant but his own liver is still doing the job with some help from his meds. Wonder what would have hqappened if a liver did become available to him?

And just a reminder, doctors "practice" medicine...they don't know it all.....
  • acarr
    acarr Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I was diagnosed with BC in 1990 at age 35. I had a large, aggressive 6cm tumor, er-/pr-, node negative, and nests of tumors throughout the lymphatic system of the breast. I had a modified radical mastectomy and 8 rounds of chemo. 18 months after my diagnosis, I had a local recurrence in the exact same location as my original tumor and was treated with surgery and radiation.

After reading my pathology report in 1990, I didn't think I would be around to see my children grow up. I now have 3 beautiful grandchildren. Except for a couple of scares, I've been cancer free for 15 years and hope to be dancing with NED another 15 plus.

Amy
  • cheryl58
    cheryl58 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Wow, Amy, thank you so very much for posting. You are an inspiration to many! I wish you many years of happiness and enjoy those beautiful grandchildren. Your story brought tears to my eyes and exactly what I needed today. Thanks!

Cheryl
  • jan125
    edited September 2006
    Options

I am a success story now!!! Dx in May at stage 4, mets in liver and spine and questionable spot in lung....today my PET scan was read and I am NED......Hope to stay that way for a long time....maybe I will get my miracle after all!

• acarr
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Congratulations jan125! You are a success story and an inspiration! Wishing you many, many years of health and happiness.

Amy
  • acarr
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Dear Cheryl,
    I'm so glad that reading my story has given you some much needed peace today. I remember how much it meant to me to be able to talk to long term BC survivors right after I was diagnosed. They gave me hope that I so desperately needed.

Take care,
    Amy
    602 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2006
    Options

I'm new to this. What is "NED"?

• jan125
    edited October 2006
    Options

wow, no new success stories, we need to try harder girls, I have got one. "Friend of a Friend" stage 3 15 years ago and still doing well. Plus what did they know 15 years ago compared to now???

• Sachi
    Sachi Member Posts: 63
    edited October 2006
    Options
    A new group in town is selling a calendar to raise money for women and men who are going through treatment and having financial difficulties. The calendar has a short story about 1 woman who was diagnosed stage 3 and that was 10 years ago.

Barb
  • AnnieMc
    AnnieMc Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Amy,

Thank you so much for your post. In 2004,at the age of 42, I was diagnosed with a stage 1a ER/PR negative, HER/2 negative BC. I had a lumpectomy, chemotherapy, and radiation. In November 2005, 18 months after diagnosis, I had a recurrence of DCIS and had a mastectomy. When I was diagnosed with the recurrence, I was floored. I searched for stories of women who had a local recurrence so soon after diagnosis, but I did not find many. Your story is an inspiration to me.

Now, I feel great and I am still NED.

Enjoy those grandchildren,

Anne
  • acarr
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hi Anne,

I'm so glad my story was helpful to you. A recurrence so soon after diagnosis is extremely hard to deal with. I'm so happy that you are doing so well.

Take care,
    Amy
  • cmb35
    cmb35 Member Posts: 554
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hi there ladies!

I was dx in May 2005 with 1.1 cm lump, grade 3,triple neg, 1 node pos. Finished chemo in Oct 2005, finished radiation in January 2006, and so far so good. Mammogram in May 2006 was fine on cancer side, calcifications on non-cancer side, so I do need to go back in Nov to make sure nothing is up there, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I was terrified when I got my path report, and really freaked out by the node involvment, but really love the perspective that more aggressive cancers respond better to chemo! Anyway, I still don't know how you do the anniversary - am I 1 year and 5 months out (from diagnosis) or 9 months out (from finishing treatment)?

Best of luck to all!
    Colleen