Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin

Comments

• cinrae123
    cinrae123 Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2007
    Chelee,,,,,,,,I too am in Orange County. Santa Ana,,,,,,I'm about 1/2 mile from south coast plaza. Who is your Dr? I went to Dr. Carpenter in Orange and am doing my chemo in Irvine-Dr. Merry Tetef.
    Cindy
  • Chelee
    Chelee Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2007
    Cindy, Your really close to me. I am about 20 minutes from you if I was to hit the freeway. Sounds like your going to where I WANT to go. I was hoping to get to go to St. Josephs in Orange. I've heard nothing but great things about them and their doctors. Plus it is close enough that I would not have to live on the road to see my doctors when it comes to follow up appts, scans, etc. I am very unhappy where I am at now. At present due to on-going problems I can't put my doctors name on this board or I would. It could cause me problems. Sounds like you landed in great hands. :-) Irvine is good too. Lucky you. Something has to change for me soon one way or another. I have tried everything...its been far too stressful.

I'm glad you have some GREAT doctors. I wouldn't wish what I have been through on anyone. No one deserves it. But with Gods help I keep pushing forward. I'm still here.

Chelee
  • cinrae123
    edited April 2007

Chelee? Are you finished with everything then? Or do u have to do radiation? My hubby works at West Med Center in Santa Ana (he is a registered nurse),,,,,,,so Dr. Carpenter came highly recommended by the head of the operating room there. I am extremely pleased with her,,,,and then she recommended Dr. Tetef to me,,,,,,and I really like her as well. Has your hair grown back? I'm still hung up on that issue,,,,,,,just a thing I have about that. And of course weight gain,,,,,,sheesh. lol Funny how things like that effect us women huh? We are so close to one another huh? Small world indeed. Hope things are going ok with you. Take care,,,,,,,,,,Cindy

• katymom
    katymom Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2007
    Anyone experience problems with the decadron...I've tried to do chemo for the last 3 weeks but when I take the decadron my breast gets red and the white counts double so I've been on antibiotics for 3 weeks and will try again this coming week...I'm not sure if my body is reacting to the decadron. I'll be on taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin every 3 weeks.

stage1, grade 2, her+, er+
  • shirleyb
    shirleyb Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2007

I just completed my 4th treatment of Taxotere/Cytoxan. I have not been given Herceptin. I guess because I am Estrogen/Pro negative?? I refused AC because of the possible effects on the heart and I am 66. I learned about Taxotere and AC from this web site. I am sure glad I read everything on this web site before I started my chemo. It was really a help. My Doctor was not too happy about my decision, but he agreed to change to Taxotere. From what I hear, you don't get as sick with Taxotere. However, I was given too strong of a dose my first treatment and they about did me in. they had to back off on the meds after that. I have to make the decision now if I want 4 or 6 treatments. I had one positive node with a small 1.1 tumor. I am having trouble deciding.

• talbrig13
    talbrig13 Member Posts: 358
    edited April 2007
    Hi, girls..
    Well I did it...shaved my head yesterday. It was just too depressing losing hair daily in the shower and watching it grow thinner and thinner. And Grayer. I haven't colored it since my diagnosis in December, so you can imagine. I wore my wig to work today and received sooo many complements, even from customers who have no idea what is going on. So never fear...hair is not the end of the world!
  • lwy
    lwy Member Posts: 116
    edited April 2007
    Terry,how far into your treatments before your hair started to fall out? just curious so that I'm prepared for the event.
    Leslie
  • Chelee
    edited April 2007
    Leslie, I did TCH and it was about the 17th or 18th day when my hair fell out. It started SLOWLY coming out before then...but I would just notice a few extra hairs on my pillow case and things like that. Nothing big. Then all of a sudden just when I THOUGHT I was going to get away with NOT losing hair...it would come out in small little clumps. Then as mentioned...the 17th or 18th day it all came out. But it grows back....one day this will be ALL BEHIND you and just a bad memory. Hang in there.

Chelee
  • cinrae123
    edited April 2007
    Chelee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If my hair starts coming out in clumps,,,,,,,off it goes,,,,,lol How long did it take for your hair to grow back and was it different than your old hair?
    Thanx, Cindy
  • Chelee
    edited May 2007
    Cindy, Yes, eventually it was small clumps that would fall out. That did it for me! So its almost better to just cut it ahead of time & be done with it.

As far as it growing back in...I finished my LAST cycle of chemo last June 06. Then it SLOWLY started coming back. But now its 9 months later since the last chemo and the back of my hair actually just NOW covers some of my neck. (Not alot down to my collar line yet.) The sides of my hair covers my ears now and i have hair that hangs over in my face that comes down to my eyes. So its just now what I consider long enough to go have something done with it.

My hair came back DIFFERENT then it was. I USE to have long blonde, FINE thin hair. (You couldn't of gotten it to curl if your life depended on it.) So I was SHOCKED when it grew in more on the thicker side and curly. LOL I've never had curls. Its full of waves. So I have had some fun with it...such an extreme change for me. As to color...it was blonde and now its ALMOST the same color except its not a true blonde like before. Not quite a dish water blonde...but just darker like its mixed with a tinge of brown. I am hoping in time and with the summer sun it will go back to its natural color. I am just so thrilled to have hair I don't care what it looks like. lol The waves really are kind of fun to play with. I've heard of women having their hair come back super BLACK or grey...so I am quite pleased with what I got. No complaints here. lol

Chelee
  • cinrae123
    edited May 2007

Thanx for the info Chelee,,,,,,,,,,,Your hair sounds like a lot of fun to play with. My hair is fine,,,,,,and the true color is brown with some gray,,,,,,but thanx to loving care,,,its light brown. lol Thicker would be nice and no gray would be even nicer,,,,,,,,lol Guess we always want what we dont have huh? Thanx again,,,,,,,,,,Cindy

• talbrig13
    edited May 2007
    Hi Leslie,
    I started TCH on Feb 8 and it started a slow process of thinning about 2 weeks later. But it really has taken this long for it to be unbearably thin for me. I got up Friday and took a shower, losing more hair. I looked in the mirror and it looked like thin, brittle, old lady hair. The wig actually looks much better and I got lots of complements at work yesterday. Even from customers who don't know the situation.
    I guess we are all just different, but I didn't lose it all at once like the girls on AC do.
    Best of luck to you...
  • lwy
    edited May 2007
    thanks for the response Terry. Wasn't so worried about chemo, but now that the time is coming (may 7th) I'm getting a bit anxious.
    Leslie
  • janet11
    janet11 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2007
    Mine started thinning in a major way about week 3-5 after starting TCH (3 week cycles). I finally had it 'buzzed' to about 1/2" long all over when I was finding hair in my dinner plate. Yuck. In the next 4-6 weeks, I was down to a bit of fuzz and mostly shiny scalp.

my last chemo cycle was OVER in mid January. So it's been about 3 1/2 months since then and it's now about 1/4 to 1/2" long all over. I look like I accidentally went to a marine recruiter instead of a beauty salon (*laugh*). But it IS growing. Just slowly.

Janet
  • talbrig13
    edited May 2007
    Leslie,
    You will do fine. Chemo nurses are the best and will take good care of you. The hair thing was minor. they will explain all of the potential side effects...nausea, bone pain, hair, fingernails...the only thing I am really dealing with is nausea for 2-3 days after, but I have good meds and have not thrown up. I just feel queasy like when I was pregnant. And fatigue...with each treatment I just get more tired. But I go from being up all night due to steriods and then sleeping 10 - 11 hours. You just have to take care of yourself...eat right, lots of veggies, drink lots of water!
    I will be at chemo on May 10th...will think of you on the 7th.
  • katymom
    edited May 2007

I am hoping to start Chemo tomorrow if today's white counts look good. I have had an infection that we hope is clear now. When I took the decadron my white cells would go way high! I wasn't too afraid of chemo until now that it is just around the corner....a little anxious...

• katymom
    edited May 2007

Looks like we might be starting at the same time. I am Stage I, 1.3 cm, Node Neg, ER+, Her2+......I am hoping to start tomorrow--it has been postponed 2 times now....but with any luck tomorrow will be the day! I wasn't worried about it either until it is now getting closer. Good luck!

• lwy
    edited May 2007
    thanks Terry, Chelee and katymom! i'll keep you posted as to how it goes. My husband is wondering on average, what days after chemo will I need someone home to help me? did you need help on the chemo day or the next day etc? Is it realistic that I plan to go to work everyday? I have a very demanding job but they have been nice and have decreased my responsibilities so that I essentially do just desk work.
    Leslie
  • lucy59
    lucy59 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2007
    Hi Leslie & Katymom.
    I have been on Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin since December. I have one treatment left May 23 and then just Herceptin for the rest of the year. It is not as bad as the anxiety before of not knowing what to expect. You will see a pattern after each treatment so you will know after the first how your body will react each day during the cycle. As far as Decadron it will keep you awake for several days but should have nothing to do with wbc count. Maybe your numbers are up because you had an infection. The day of treatment you will probably receive Benadryl which leaves you kind of tired so you may want to rest on that day. The day I always feel great (partly from Decadron I guess) and around the 2nd day I get VERY tired. Hair loss is usally between week 2 and 3 and bad taste comes from Taxotere. I have had no nausea or vomiting at all after 7 treatments and no major side effects. Try not to worry too much. The treatments themselves I found were kind of relaxing. You probably wont even know they are going in. Do you have a port? That to me was wonderful. So easy! Hope I can help now that I am almost done with my treatments.
    Prayers to you. Lucy
  • lwy
    edited May 2007
    thanks for your words of encouragement and advice Lucy. I have a port. I was initially opposed to getting a port, but when I found out I was Her2 + and needed herceptin for a year, I signed up for one right away! Did you take the zofran for nausea or did you just not get any nausea at all?
    Leslie
  • lucy59
    edited May 2007
    HI Leslie.
    Never took Zofran. No nausea at all. They do putsomething in with the carbo and taxotere, Anzamet, I think. Never needed anything else. Best of luck to you. Lucy
  • cinrae123
    edited May 2007
    lucy,,,,,,,,,,were you doing tch every 3 weeks? Must be nice to be almost done I bet.........wish I was there already......lol
    Cindy
  • lucy59
    edited May 2007
    cindy ..
    Yes. TCH every 3 weeks and herceptin weekly. Time does go quickly and you will soon be done. Mine seemed to stretch out longer than most others. I had 8 treatments where I know some had only 6 and I was postponed three times due to low WBCs. I have just returned to work last week and have been doing pretty well with it.
    We seem to have the same situation.
    I am also:
    DCIS, IDC , Stage 1, grade 3, Node negative, ER/PR neg and her2 POS.

If I can help with anything let me know. Lucy
  • cinrae123
    edited May 2007
    Yes Lucy,,,,,,,,,,,looks like we are in the same situation. I will be doing mine every week. Thanx for all the great info........Sooooooooo cool you are almost done. You must be thrilled. Another question? Now did you lose all your hair,,eyebrows, eyelashes? And did you gain or lose weight? Funny how these things us women worry about huh? Well, I do,,,,not sure how the rest of ya feel. lol
    Have a good night and day tomorrow,,,,,,,Cindy
  • lucy59
    edited May 2007
    Hi Cindy:
    I lost all my hair on day #18 after first treatment. Some fuzz remained but not much. (like a baby monkey, I guess!). My eyebrows thinned out quite a bit and also my eyelashes. Then again, I am 59 so my eyebrows were thinner than usual anyway. The hair thing was most difficult as it was coming out but after you cut it or lose it you will adjust very quickly. I was surprised myself. By the way your head will begin tingling and aching just prior to it falling out so you will have a little warning. Keep in touch. I am here to help. Lucy
  • debbiep
    debbiep Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2007

Hmm, I wonder does your scalp hurt even if you shave your head before you start the chemo?? If your scalp hurts just before you start losing your hair, do your underarms and legs also have the same sensation?? Basically, the chemo affects all the hair follicles, doesn't it??

• lucy59
    edited May 2007
    I dont think your scalp will hurt if you shave your head before chemo but why not wait (just in case). It seems like it is the weight of hair that causes the sensation. I didnt shave mine but cut it VERY short as it began to fall out. No sensations in other areas with hair loss.
    Also as far as the weight I guess everyone is different. I lost about 10 lbs but I could probably afford to lose about 10 more. Weight varies during different stages of treatment. I lose a lot during the first week after treatment but it comes back and then get puffy face and hands.
  • talbrig13
    edited May 2007
    Well, girls...back from TCH #7 of 10 today....how are all you "new" girls who started this week? Good I hope. I find that day 3 is the worst...just mostly tired though. Take your nausea meds, even if you feel okay...it keeps that feeling at bay. I am just felling a little dizzy right now, so will probably just lay around this evening.
    Talk to you soon,
  • katymom
    edited May 2007

I was finally able to start.....1 down 6 to go! Today is the first day after. I had high fever last night but have been fine today...Got Neulasta and am having some discomfort in my shoulder....no nausea, a little indigestion. I try to eat every 2 hours a little and I think that helps....also about 100 ounces of water and ginger "tea"....So far so good....thanks for your input...keep it coming!

• katymom
    edited May 2007

Did you end up getting chemo on the 7th? How did it go?