Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diary of a bilateral mastectomy

Options

Comments

• danix5
    danix5 Member Posts: 141
    Options

Does anyone know if you get the results from your SNB that day of mastectomy?  Do they find out so they can take all the nodes they need during the same surgery or do you have to wait and go back for more surgery?

Daniella

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

Daniella,

The answer is yes and no.  Usually a test will be done on the sentinel node while you are in surgery.  If cancer shows up, then the surgeon will take more nodes while you are still in surgery.  The problem however is that the test that is done is quick and preliminary.  After surgery, the sample will undergo a much more thorough analysis, with very fine slices reviewed one by one under a microscope.  So if there is only a small amount of invasion, it might not be found during the first check but might be found later.  This means that while getting the "all clear" on your nodes immediately after surgery is a good sign, it's not the final answer.  It's still possible that cancer might be found that would require additional surgery to remove more nodes later.

• Karyll
    Karyll Member Posts: 3
    Options

Although I had only one breast removed, I found your story very similar. I would add one thing though for those facing mastectomy and going home with drains - a Shoelace. hahaha. I know that sounds odd but for showering, washing, getting dressed - you can have both hands free with simple shoe lace tied around your neck, to hook the drains on to. Honestly that saved my so much. I am right handed, and of course it was a right sided mastectomy - so I hooked those little old drains to the shoelace around my neck and was able to manage all those two handed needs.I have heard of some, indulging in a nice heavy gold chain for the same reason - but it sure made my post surgery at home much easier - Particularly because I still had one of the drains at nearly three weeks.!

Best wishes and holiday happiness to all.

Karyll

• danix5
    danix5 Member Posts: 141
    Options

Karyll and of course Bessie,

Thanks for your information!  The shoelaces sound like a great idea!

Bessie, I knew you would have the answer to this one!  So I can be encouraged but not totally relaxed. 

That's okay I more worry about having to go back for another procedure. Living in the suburbs of Washington DC is wonderful for the sites and plays etc... but really stinks when it comes to traffic. Another procedure early in the AM is not what I want but they always get schedule for early AM!  Don't these scheduling people ever consider the stress of traffic, forget about the b/c stress!  LOL! 

Really, I just want to know the SNB results as soon as possible that is why I asked. 

Thanks

Daniella

• Dotty
    Dotty Member Posts: 1
    Options

I had surgery with expanders Nov. 27, 2007.  I did have small orange like lumps when I came out of surgery.  A month later I am showing nicely.  The Dr put in 8 oz of saline solution on both sides.  I guess it depends on how busty you were before.  I did feel quite out of sorts my first time at a party not having my normal.  But, what is normal now.  :>}  Best Wishes to you.....

Thanks everyone for your postings.......Marvelous!!!!!!!!

I will be starting TC Chemo Jan. 8th then 5 years with Tamoxifen

Grade 3/ Stage 2/ 2.2 cm/ 17 nodes all clear/ES 2+,PRO 3+ HER2 -

• twinkly
    twinkly Member Posts: 104
    Options

Hi Dotty,

I read so much about women who have their reconstruction surgery at the same time the cancer is being removed....I hope everything turns out well for you.

Have you joined the January Jewels chemo thread yet??

Hope to see you there!

twinkly

• twinkly
    Options

I have updated this as best I can.  My prayers are with everyone at this site.

• Breastless
    Breastless Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hi twinkly

I read in one of your posts that you are from Alberta.  I was wondering where?  I live in Regina, Sk.  I had bilateral MX in April 2008, recon with tissue expanders then implants in Mar 2009.  Bad recon so I am now waiting to see another plastic surgeon for another opinion.  Thanks for sharing your story.

• twinkly
    Options

Hi Breastless,

I'm from Calgary - but have lots of family in and near Regina (I was born in Moose Jaw!!). 

First, I'm so happy you had the MRI.  What am amazing story!

Second, I've read some of your posts and was so happy to hear you've pushed for the second opinion.   Sometimes, it's difficult to get a doctor to listen to us, as they seem to think they know best.  But my cancer experience would have been much different if I'd given myself over to the doctors completely.  Instead, I chose to listen to my instincts, do the research necessary, and make decisions that would have the least chance of giving me regrets.

I know your definition of satisfaction is realistic and achieveable, and if you hang in there, you will find a ps who will work with you, and not against you.

• puddingirl84
    puddingirl84 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Twinkly- My journey seems to be almost identical to yours. I am scheduled tomorrow for bilateral SNB, then BMX on the 25th of this month. I have been DX'd three times (r,l,l). I said enough is enough, take them both. I really did want to wake up with breasts, but some of the techniques seem so barbaric to me. severing back muscles, dragging tunnels under the abdomen, pedicles. What compensates for the lost muscles, especially when I am middle-aged and starting to show signs of bone loss from the AI I am taking. Making that kind of decision so soon after a 3rd diagnosis  started causing me emotional distress. I chose to delay immediate recon and I want to make sure all the cancer is gone first. (I might have even posted this on another forum), but I am not sure how I will react when I see the scars. I will try and avoid looking at them for a while, but sooner or later I will come to realize that I am a breast cancer survivor, and this is my unique journey, my scars just becoming a part of it. If I am still NED at the end of this year, I will do a recon as a Xmas gift to myself. Also by then I will have loads of info from the several plastic surgeons I will consult with. I will make an educated decision about recon and not one based on fear of waking up without breasts.

This site is truly a blessing.

God Bless you for sharing in such detail. 

Pudding 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    Options
    twinkly - thank you so much for sharing your story, it is very timely for me.  What did we do before the internet?!
  • formykids
    formykids Member Posts: 11
    Options

twinkly thank you so much for sharing your story.  My goodness you have been through so much already.  I hope things start to get better for you and you can have the peace of mind that you and so many others deserve.

Cathy

• twinkly
    Options

Hi Puddin,

I agree that things can get to be so overwhelming....it's hard to track all of the emotions we can be going through in any given moment.

I agree that it's best to make one very important decision at a time, doing your best to not become overwhelmed.  I also understand your concern about 'quality of life' issues .  This has been such a large part of the decision making process for me too.  Following the ripples out, and then back in again.  And making the decision of what I can live with, and what I can't live without.

It's strange....the deepest grieving experience I have had in my life thus far, is my own experience of cancer, and how it's colored every day of my life since diagnosis. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not as if I've been one big puddle since then....but in the quietest moments of my heart, I don't feel that inner peace that was my cornerstone for so long.  And I have no idea how this happened, or how to come through the other side.  Right now, I'm still working my way through.

I agree, this site is a blessing, and being able to reach out, and receive the selfless compassion and wisdom of others who are at all stages of this journey, makes all the difference.

I wish you all the best,

Twinkly

• badger
    Options

bumping up this thread for jquesenberry (and others - this is very helpful & informative)

• twinkly
    Options

This is now complete as I can make it.....once I've met with my surgeon and discussed the results of the ultrasounds and the CT scan, I'll post again with that information.

My best to you all!

Twinkly

• twinkly
    Options

This diary has had many chapters, and this is the final chapter ....for now.

Twinkly

• twinkly
    Options

The latest entries in my diary tell of a new and happy beginning....!

And biggest hugs to the wonderful friends I've met here, you are all shining stars!

Twinkly

• badger
    Options

bumping up this thread ...

• julie75
    julie75 Member Posts: 295
    Options

twinkly:  Thanks for starting this thread, and I'm glad your latest entry shows a new and happy beginning.  How are you feeling?  I see your last post was 06/10. 

I had my BMX on 09/17 and am still working through the emotional fall-out.  It's so easy to cry, even during happy times.  Guess I just have to get used to my new "normal", as we all do.

Julie

• klynnwayman
    klynnwayman Member Posts: 1
    Options

Kim,

Thank you so much for telling your story so completely. I was just diagnosed a week and a half ago, and ended up getting a bilateral mastectomy just this past Friday. Although I know that eveybody's cancer journey is different, reading what you had to say helped me understand what I hav gone through thus far, and possibly what I can expect. It is so scary and surreal right now.

Kim

• badger
    Options

Edited to redact a post with personal information.

• julie75
    Options

bumping up the thread again . . .

Julie

• julie75
    Options

klynnwayman:  How are you doing?  Sending thoughts of strength your way.

Julie

• badger
    Options

bump.....

• julie75
    Options

second bump.

• badger
    Options

and another :-)

• KellyMaryland
    KellyMaryland Member Posts: 62
    Options

Thank you for writing this and thanks to the respondents. Am scheduled for a (p) bm on Jan. 26th and need all the positive vibes I can get.

Kelly

• julie75
    Options

Kelly:  Am sending positive vibes your way right now. 

Julie

• KellyMaryland
    KellyMaryland Member Posts: 62
    Options

thanks julie!

• badger
    Options

bumping again... sending good vibes and {{hugs}} to all