Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bottle o Tamoxifen

Options

Comments

• everythingwillbefine
    everythingwillbefine Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2020
    Options

MeToo14,

I would call your doctor and ask. OB or Primary doctor.

• MeToo14
    MeToo14 Member Posts: 162
    edited November 2020
    Options

Thank you for your reply everythingwillbefine, I have already contacted my doctors and I can't get into see either of them for 2 months. I was just hoping maybe someone else might have experienced this.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited November 2020
    Options

MeeToo14 - call your DRs again and explain the situation. With my first bc in 2009, I was already in menopause and the oncologist Rx'd Tamoxifen rather than AI because he had more confidence in it. I was told to contact him immediately if there was any bleeding beacuse it coud be an indication of more/other problems. Covid is making everything more complicated, but it is important that you see someone. Is Telemed an option as a first step?

• MeToo14
    edited November 2020
    Options

Thank you bluegirlredstate, I did explain. My appointment is January 29. They said if it's bad to go to the emergency room. I'm not too happy. Hopefully everything is normal and it's just my cycle starting up again. Thank you!

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613
    edited November 2020
    Options

Everything, I was diagnosed at 53. I was having regular horrendous periods with no symptoms that I was approaching menopause. I had my period in July 2017, started tamox a week or so later and that was the LAST period I had. Not even a whiff, hint, trace or rumour of a period. They quit, cold turkey. I asked doc if tamox would affect my periods and he said it might a little bit. He did not tell me they would stop dead in their tracks. But they did. Earlier this year I went off tamox for maybe 7 - 10 days and shortly after starting up again, I had what I'd call breakthrough bleeding. I was MORTIFIED that my periods might be coming back! Oh hell no! I would have called doc in a panic over this, because random bleeding after years of no bleeding definitely warrants checking out. But since I had been on and off again with the tamox, I pretty much figured that was the cause. So can tamox mess with your periods? In my experience, yes.

(I apologize to all the regular posters here who have heard this particular story 100 times already. But this question of tamox and periods does come up now and then.)

• everythingwillbefine
    everythingwillbefine Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2020
    Options

runor,

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me! Hmm I will keep an eye on. Don’t know what I can do though. Hopefully it won’t mess up my uterus and ovaries.

• MeToo14
    edited November 2020
    Options

Thank you runor for your story, I think it's ok but it just threw my a bit. I have an appointment to see my doctor on January 29.

• Trishavip
    Trishavip Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2020
    Options

I started Tamoxifen about one month ago. I take 20mg at night before I go to bed. First week I had pretty severe headaches and some joint pain. There was also nausea but I manage that with little snacks. I think I have adapted fairly well now. Some sleeping issues but that is not unusual for me. I know there are a lot of posts about how horrible this medicine is so I thought I would share my prospective too. I am 47 years old and when the doctor took my blood tests to see if I was near menopause all of my levels were still very high - not even showing peri-menopause yet so I was so afraid Tamoxifen would really affect me. Overall I am watching what I eat, walking at least two miles per day, and trying to keep a positive attitude. I thought it would be much worse. It actually feels very similar to times in my life I started taking birth control pills - just a little off at first and then my body adjusts.

Good luck ladies! I hope we all stay cancer free!!

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited December 2020
    Options

I have a question about muscle and body aches from SERMs. Is it Magnesium that you take for muscle soreness? Which kind and how much do you take?

For hydration, I am attempting to increase the amount of water, but I am considering adding some coconut water each day because I read that it helps hydration. I am not a fan of the taste though. But I can tolerate most things if it helps. Has anyone tried Coconut water and found it helpful?

I have been taking Raloxifene (generic Evista) for 8 months- a SERM similar to Tamoxifen. It felt like my sciatica was bothering me after a big hike almost a month ago. The stiffness and pain has moved around. Even before this, my right ankle was very sore and swollen and I attributed that to running on consecutive days and not resting or stretching. Because of COVID, I haven’t been to the gym to lift weights since February so I blame my decreased muscle to my injuries.

So now I’m trying a bunch of stretches several times a day, anti inflammatory spices, potassium from food, hydration, etc. If I can fix this problem, it would ease my mind.

Thanks!

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited December 2020
    Options

I take magnesium glycinate at night, it's a 200mg capsule. Can't hurt, might help.

• GoKale4320
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thanks, Edj3. I went to a nearby CVS but they didn’t have glycinate form of Magnesium. They had other forms. So I ordered some Magnesium Glycinate online. Looking forward to trying it.

I did buy some coconut water from the cooler. It was flavored with pineapple. Pretty good. Later, I will buy more and try to drink some daily. There are quite a few benefits. I’ve had plain before and found that with a splash of lime juice, AND chilled it’s okay.

Another thing I have tried for aches and pains is tart cherry juice concentrate. Two tablespoons mixed with 1/2 cup of water. It naturally contains melatonin and apparently 2 Tbs is a lot. I zonked out that night I used the full serving size. But did it work for aches? Possibly. The next time, I only used 1 TB with water and I didn’t zonk out and I felt the aches during the night.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited December 2020
    Options

GoKale - it is amazing how many forms as well as strengths and brands there are for magnesium. I use a mg citrate for a long time, but swtiched to mg glycinate after someone posted that it worked better for them. I tried mg-malate for a while after reading that athletes favor it. For me, it did not work as well as the glycinate which I take now I have not tried the bi-glycinate. I use the "KAL" brand which I find at the local Co-Op as well as the "Natural Grocer" chain. I wish the pills were not so big. Tempted to try the bi-glycinate, which only seems to come in powder. You might also want to look up foods with mg, I thought I had something bookmarked, but cannot find it.

Thank you for the mention of tart cherry juice and melatonin. I take melatonin as well, maybe tart cherry would be better than the pills. Get your calculator and look at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5617749/ . So If I did the math correctly, they drank 8 oz 2x day , so 16 ounces day, for 2 weeks. Each "dose" (is that 8 oz serving?) had 0.135 μg melatonin per dose (0.000135 mg). The biggest effect seemed to be with the "waking up" after just going to sleep - my problem. Because of the low amount of melatonin, they speculated that it might be on how it interacts with naturally occuring tryptophan in the body

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited December 2020
    Options

GoKale, I have been trying tart cherry juice too. Verdict is not in yet on joint pain. I started with 1/2 cup in the morning and in the evening and couldn't stay awake in the afternoon. Now take only at bedtime and sleeping has improved (if only it also took care of the need to get up to pre during the night).

• ampmusic14
    ampmusic14 Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2020
    Options

Looking for some insight! I've been on tamoxifen for one month. I also just went back to work 3 weeks ago after being off since June for my bilateral mastectomy and chemo. I'm having increased lower back pain and hip pain especially on the right side. I'm hoping it's just from being on my feet all day at work and from the tamoxifen. Anyone else have bad back and hip pain from tamoxifen? When I try to stretch it feels a little better and feels ok when I'm sitting down. I'm hoping it's not a recurrence... Thank you!

• mama2fourkiddos
    mama2fourkiddos Member Posts: 48
    edited December 2020
    Options

Ampmusic14, yes I'm having lower back pain too. I actually only started taking Tamoxifen this past Wednesday and by Thursday evening my lower back was aching. It's been happening every evening/late afternoon since. It's uncomfortable to go to sleep with and then better in the morning, until later in the day.

• GoKale4320
    edited December 2020
    Options

This pain you describe sounds like my pain on Raloxifene (generic Evista). It’s a SERM just like Tamoxifen is.Sometimes I absolutely must take an ibuprofen for it. Yesterday I was hobbling around the house. I’m getting very little exercise this past month because of the pain. That is not good. I sent a message to my doctor to see what to do.

• BCat40
    BCat40 Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2020
    Options

GoKale--there's the dilemma with these anti-hormone meds--they cause pain and fatigue and make you not want to exercise. But you're also supposed to exercise to prevent the cancer from coming back--and just for general health like keeping weight in check (also better for cancer prevention!)

• mom2bill
    mom2bill Member Posts: 7,478
    edited December 2020
    Options

I’ve been on Tamoxifen for 8 months, and my lower back pain started about 2 months ago. I am hoping that it will go away at some point, as this happened with my foot and ankle pain. When I first started Tamoxifen, I had horrible pain and stiffness in my feet and ankles when I first got out of bed in the morning. After walking around for a bit it would be OK until the next morning. After about 4 months of this, the pain went away. Shortly after that, the back pain started. So for me, the areas of pain seem to shift around. I’m hoping the back pain will move on as well!

• amusingsoprano
    amusingsoprano Member Posts: 77
    edited December 2020
    Options

I've just started taking Tamoxifen (6 days in). At what point would people start getting side effects if that is going to happen?

• datagirl
    datagirl Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2020
    Options

Amusing Soprano,

I've been on it for about 3 weeks. No problems so far, except some minor hot flashes. They are more annoying than anything else. I don't know if I got lucky, or there is another shoe that is going to drop. I'll see my doctor next week so I'll ask. I just hope the lack of side effects doesn't mean that it's not working.

• crsharper
    crsharper Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hello! I apologize in advance for asking these questions because I"m sure they have been asked before...I tried to read through...this message board is long! lol

Do most of you take your Tamoxifen in the morning or night? I usually take my meds at night and wondnering if there is a reason why I shouldn't take it at night. I take melatonin at night also and it really helps me sleep. Those of you that have had sleep issues did you take Melatonin? Does it help? Any natural sleep aids that help? I think I'm going to go ahead and preemptively take some magnesium to hopefully help with muscle pain!!

Any other tips you all have to help me get started I would appreciate!!

• beaverntx
    edited January 2021
    Options

crsharper, I take Tamoxifen with my evening meal as advised by my pharmacist. When I am having trouble sleeping 1/2 to 1 cup of tart cherry juice at or near bedtime helps, but that is due to melatonin, in my understanding.

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited January 2021
    Options

crsharper,

I take mine in late afternoon. Works best for me. In the beginning I took it in the am and noticed a headache about 4 hours later. So I switched to about 4-5pm that by the time its at full strength I'm asleep. I;ve used melatonin long before I had bc, I like the sublingual types and it helps to calm my mind and relax me enough to go to sleep. I usually get a solid 4 hours, usually with vivid dreams, when I take it.

• crsharper
    crsharper Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2021
    Options

Thanks Beaverntx and beach2beach. I ended up taking my with dinner. We'll see how that works for the time being. I'm drinking tons of water and I started on Magnesium as a precaution! We'll just ride the wave and see where it takes me!

• beaverntx
    edited January 2021
    Options

Keep up with lots of water, that helps (do I dare say) dilute many of the side effects including constipation and dry skin.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited January 2021
    Options

After going through months of dizziness and nausea a few months after starting Tamoxifen, I complained to a couple of my doctors. They told me that Tamoxifen was dehydrating and that I needed to drink lots more(like more than normal) water. Once I upped my water, it all stopped. The doctors said that the dehydrating effects of Tamoxifen tend to be the same as you would experience when you are dehydrated from overwork or being too hot so liquids are the answer. Seems they were right!

• lezza13
    lezza13 Member Posts: 579
    edited February 2021
    Options

crsharper, I take Tamoxifen in the AM. I have done this every day for 8 years now. I do eat breakfast afterwards. I didn't want it to affect my sleep. I normally sleep long hours. I do take Melatonin once in awhile. I've had rebound insomnia taking Melatonin too often so now I take Valerian root at night. I also take magnesium at night to try and help with sleep.

beach2beach, Sorry you have headaches, I can see why you take it at night.

SE's are only stomach issues so I try to drink lots of water and those annoying hot flashes,

• ashlyn525
    ashlyn525 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2021
    Options

Has anyone experienced eye twitching with Tamoxifen. I started taking the beginning of November. I can't sleep without waking up 4 or 5 times, my weight is out of control. Im very hopeful but my doctors seem to ignore most of my symptoms

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 855
    edited March 2021
    Options

I haven't had eye twitch but have gain 20 lbs on the big T. When I saw the Onc yesterday he said this was our last appt...when I finish this set of pills I am done! Hopefully I can start on working off the spare baggage.

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613
    edited March 2021
    Options

Trmtab - how are you feeling about going off the Big T? I hated going on. I hate how it makes me feel and what it has done to me (hair falling out, body like a beluga whale, aching joints, vagina like a tumble weed, no sex drive, feel homicidal lots of the time) yet I worry that when the doc tells me I'm done I'll feel very vulnerable and like I have a big target on my back. I know in truth every single one of us is at risk 100% of the time from uncountable life threats, many that we are unaware of or don't bother thinking about. So on a philosophical level I know that it is silly to freak out over going off tamoxifen. Yet... I feel a niggling sense of worry steadily growing. It's stupid. I know this.