Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bottle o Tamoxifen

Options

Comments

• betsy13
    betsy13 Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2008
    Options

Thanks Cynthia (&NYJanet:)

I will look up her post....Virginia I will pray for your Dad.....I know how you feel my Dad turned 80 the day after Christmas....he was dx with early prostate cancer in March & did great with tx.....then the week before Christmas he ended up in the hosp. with pneumonia (he only has one lung) and a fx vertabra.....got home in time for christmas and his B-day....then back in again last week for a blockage (he had an angioplasty) he is now feeling better and home, but I leave at the end of Feb. for KEY WEST...Wah HOO and am hoping everything stays well with him.....Have fun on your cruise...I love cruises.....and know that lots of us will be keeping your Dad in our prayers as well as sending him "good" Karma.....Oh and Harley have fun showing off your new Breasts.....I am married now 27 years.(same breasts;) we can't wait to get away at the end of feb.....

Betsy  

• ashaby
    ashaby Member Posts: 200
    edited January 2008
    Options

Dear Betsy,

Good luck with your MRI's. I follow you Mon the 21st with my stereotactic to see if my left breast has more DCIS.

HARLEY AND Virginia, Cruise for all of us. Have a tropical drink for my breast,

XXX Basha

• JapanLynn
    JapanLynn Member Posts: 211
    edited January 2008
    Options

Wow, girls...

Off the train and onto the cruise ship!  Take the rest of us with you!

VA, prayers for your day.  Try to have a good time in spite of your worries.  Harley, try to keep your shirt on...at least in the dining room. :-)

I'm off to Tokyo today for a conference...be back Friday evening.  It'll be a nice getaway...it's at the American hotel there, with lots of amenities.  I plan to work out regularly, eat healthily, and do lots of reading/relaxing; maybe a little shopping.  Oh, yeah--I'll go to the conference during the day, too. :-)

Sorry about your charlie horses, VA...I've heard about the potassium/calcium connection, but yesterday my massage therapist was saying a lack of sugar can cause cramping in the muscles.  Guess I'm chocolate deficient...I'll take care of that today.

I'm not stiff this morning...maybe the Traumeel I've been slathering on is working!  Hope springs eternal.  Take care, tamoxi-friends...

Lynn

• joy1122
    joy1122 Member Posts: 189
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi Girls,

I am also going on a Caribbean cruise with my DH on 1/27 for 7 days. I can't wait,we started planning it when I was going through Chemo last year.

I am having trouble with my hands cramoing up. Anyone else have that SE with the Tamoxifen?

Take Care,

Joyce

• Harley44
    Harley44 Member Posts: 2,126
    edited January 2008
    Options

Lynn,

Have a wonderful time at your conference...well, at least, try to enjoy yourself... try to get away and have some time to yourself...

nothing I say today seems to come out right...

Oh, see...  I didn't mean to sound as if I will be ripping off my shirt for everyone to see... hehehe    I promise to keep my shirt on, but I willl be wearing some of my new, low cut tops to show off my cleavage!  I finally have cleavage, but I had to get bc to get it!!  Oh, well... at least something good came from it! 

Good luck Betsy and Basha!

Harley

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi Virginia , Have a great time on your cruise. You deserve it. And I will be praying for your dad. Bonn Voyage'! Melody

• Harley44
    edited January 2008
    Options

Joyce,

Have fun on your cruise!  Where do you leave from? 

My dh said "2007 has been such a sh**ty year, we need to get away!"   

Harley

• betsy13
    betsy13 Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi all,

we should call this the tamoxifin cruise (wouldn't it be nice to be on a cruise ship for 5 years.....think of those side effects.....eating...relaxing....dancing....ahhhhh;)

anyway just want to add to the banana idea.....I have one every morning in my power shake.(protein powder, acai, kefir (plain) slender berry powder) and I have only occasional cramp in foot, but no more than I ever did.....OH also take 20mg of Tamoxifin@ night before bed (10or 11pm) and was told that would reduce daytime SEs I have been on since 9/20.....so far just night sweats with my menses.....occasional rash with night sweats (will see if changing manufacture brand takes care of that:) no weight gain, but back exercising again...too...so......

Basha....I will be praying for you too....when should you find out your results??? I think I will know Mon or Tues the 21st/22nd?? Send some Karma.....but not the kind that "enhances" my MRIs:)

So what should we call our "cruise ship"???

Betsy   

• joy1122
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi Harley,

We are flying to Fort Lauderdale and leaving from there. This is our third cruise. We really love it. We did the Disney Cruise with the family 2 years ago and Bermuda about five years ago.

Joyce

• Harley44
    edited January 2008
    Options

Joyce,

We are leaving from Ft. Lauderdale, also.  But we are driving down from NC...where I live.  I think we have been on 6 or 7 cruises, I have lost count!  I love them, too!

Oh, I am not having the hands cramping, but I have had stomach cramps, and not sure if this is from Tamoxifen... 

Have a great time!

Harley

• Kara
    Kara Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hope everyone has fun on their cruises.  What a nice time to get away and head somewhere warm and sunny.

• slinkymalinky
    slinkymalinky Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2008
    Options

Please advise: I've been on tamoxifen for one year and take it at night before I go to bed.

What to do if I forget to take it? Do I take it the next morning or as soon as I remember or do I just skip for that day?

Thank you ladies, also would like to know when is best time to take it.

love and hugs

olga

• ashaby
    edited January 2008
    Options

Olga,

With most meds, I think you'd skip and take the next dose at night, but call your pharmacist. They're great for pill advice.

Welcome. Basha

• VirginiaNJ
    VirginiaNJ Member Posts: 314
    edited January 2008
    Options

I REALLY love this board...you all are so kind and encouraging...  I spoke to my Dad's kidney doctor on Saturday and his nurses last night, and I feel a little better about going...  I will still worry, but will sign up for the internet package on the ship and you can use cell phones (for the low low price of 99 cents/minute).  Oh well, totally worth it if I can keep in touch!!

Lynn- I DEFINITELY don't have a problem with a LACK of sugar!  I am a sugar carb addict!  One of the reasons why I have porked up! LOL

Harley- I have always wanted to try HAL.  I have heard great things about them and they seem to have larger staterooms.  They are alos cheaper.  The Noordam goes out of NYC...it's under consideration!!

Layne- I am going on the Norwegian Gem---brand new ship that had it's maiden voyage in October.  My friend likes NCL b/c you can eat any time you choose...(no set dining times).

Joyce- I don't have hand cramping, but I do have hand swelling...still so annoying.  Another SE that has come BACK is the waves of "heat."  Not exactly hot flashes...but little waves of heat.  I had them when I first started Tamox...then they went away...now they are back.  Could it be because I have almost gone TWO weeks without missing a dose???!!!

Betsy and Melody (and EVERYONE)- thank you for all the kind words RE my Dad...  It means the world to me...  I am very close to him as I lost my mom at 17 to this terrible disease (she was only 53).  So, that's why I am having my mini-freak out.  It's so hard to watch our parents suffer.  My Dad also only has one kidney b/c they found a "mass" in his kidney that turned out to be cancer.  (They just took the whole kidney and tested the mass later...luckily it didn't spread).

Basha- I will have SEVERAL drinks to your breast and everyone's (including my own!!)  THAT statement cracked me up!!

Ok all, sorry to be so long winded (as usual).  I'm sure I'll touch base again tomorrow, but if I don't , keep that Tamoxi-train goin'!!  Hey, maybe someday we can all rendezvous on a CRUISE to meet each other and celebrate our health!  How COOL would that be??

Virginia

• Harley44
    edited January 2008
    Options

Layne,

I never get tired of cruising!  But seriously, the past few years, starting with my FIL's illness and kidney cancer dx, have been so stressful, we just need to get away, and I can think of no better way than a cruise...  to just relax and lay by the pool and have waiters hand you drinks while you bask in the sun!!

Virginia,

I'm thinking of your Dad... I hope he is feeling better and will continue to improve as time goes by...  This will be our third HAL cruise, and we really like them!  We also have cruised on Celebrity, which is also nice!  I think they are all starting to have the Dine whenever you wish plan, so you may not have a set time for dinner.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Hugs to everyone!

Harley

• dcbkc
    dcbkc Member Posts: 137
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hello to all!

I've been gone for a while -- couldn't get to the computer!

All of your 'cruising' sounds great.  We had a trip to Orlando scheduled before the dx, so we pushed to get the rads done, so we wouldn't have to cancel.  So glad we did that. 

Harley -- I agree basking in the sunshine was the best medicine of all. 

I hope to stay 'connected' for a while now.  I've been on tamox for 6 weeks also, Layne.  No S/E to sspeak of.  I take it in the morning though.  Haven't missed one yet but every Sunday I fill up one of those pill holders with the days of the week on them.  It gives me a visual clue/reminder.  I highly recommend doing that.

Anyway -- gotta go -- my daughter's flute lesson is awaiting!!

D

• lilith
    lilith Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi Olga (and all others),

I started tamox about a week ago... and during my last visit last week, I asked the "missing pill" question to my onc.

She said that this is not the birth control, and missing a pill isn't a traumatic thing, and the timing is not essential: if one is forgotten in the morning, to take it later on or at night, but not to double the dose the morning after. The important thing is to take it regularly, because the more often we have estrogen blockers in our blood, the better it is.

Well - anyway it is a good idea to ask your pharmacist... I am sure other docs will have different opinions. 

• VirginiaNJ
    VirginiaNJ Member Posts: 314
    edited January 2008
    Options

My paper that came with my Tamox says exactly what you wrote Lilith---take it when you remember to, but do NOT double up the dose (take 2 pills at once).  My problem was always realizing the next morning that I had not taken the pill the day before!  :O  (I have a bill box labeled with the days of the week to help remind me, but sometimes it didn't help!)

Ok, bon voyage ladies...  I catch up with you all in a couple of weeks!!

Virginia

• karol61
    karol61 Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2008
    Options

Honey girl,

I am on Effexor and had hot flashes before BC. my onc put me on Catapres  patch before I started Tamox. With the Catapres, I have only occasional hot flashes. Other BC friends are on Catapres patch also while on Tamox.

(Catapres is a blood pressure med with alternate use for hot flashes).

Maybe it would help you.

Karoline 

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi tamox g/f!

Question..and we may have covered this.  I have been having allot of pain in my ankles and arms, from my elbow to my wrists.  I feel like it's really bad arthritis.  Anyone have these same aches? 

Also...lately my ears get really red and hot!! I am not even having a hot flash!  A little embarrassing, since my hair is short!! haha

Oh Virginia...have a great cruise!

Welcome to Lilith & Olga!

xoxo

Lisa

• Harley44
    edited January 2008
    Options

Welcome to Olga & Lilith!

Everyone:

I have a question for you.  I will check with my dr., since I'll be seeing my onc on Feb. 5th, before I go on my cruise, but here is my problem:

I will run out of Tamoxifen while I am on my cruise, but CVS told me today that I can NOT get a refill until Feb 12 or so, and I will be on the cruise then, and I will run out of pills on the day they allow me to get refills!!!   !#$!  That is so *#%! ing stupid!

I didn't mean to bold & Italics the comment...but now I can't change it... 

Do you think he'll give me a NEW Rx for the Tamox. or will he maybe have some samples (I doubt it, since they are now available as generic)? 

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Harley

• my3girls
    edited January 2008
    Options

There has to be something your oc can do.  U have to have them.  I would say they will write you another scrip!  Take it to another pharmacy. 

• Harley44
    edited January 2008
    Options

Lisa,

Thanks for the advice.  I just can't freaking believe that I can't get a few pills to cover me for the time I will be on the cruise... so stupid!    I mean, it's not like I am going to OD on an estrogen blocker!! 

I'll see what happens... and I'll post, just to let you know!

Thanks again!

Harley

• ashaby
    edited January 2008
    Options

Dearest Tamoxifriends,

Saw my BS today and we discussed mastectomy if the next biopsy is positive for DCIS.I know many of you have gone thru this. Im trying my darndest not to freak out. Any words of advice?

xx Basha

• dcbkc
    dcbkc Member Posts: 137
    edited January 2008
    Options

Basha,

You're right -- try not to freak.  That is still a big 'if'.  Wait until you have something definite.  Then maybe you freak or -- even better-- go out and celebrate.  I'm thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

D

• joy1122
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi Harley,

I would ask for another script from the doctor. Just explain it to him. I had to do that with my thyroid medicine because I ran out before it came in. We have to use express scrips so I asked for one extra script and took it to CVS. Good luck!

Joyce

• Harley44
    edited January 2008
    Options

Joyce,

Thanks for the advice!  I hope that my onc won't mind giving me a new Rx for the Tamoxifen... when I got the Rx for Ambien, he wouldn't give me one for Ambien CR, and one for regular Ambien, so I could use the one that my insurance would allow... he said that it's illegal to give TWO Rxs for the same drug!!  In essence, he'd be giving me TWO Rxs for the same thing!

Harley

• my3girls
    edited January 2008
    Options

Basha,

I agree with D, dont freak.  Let us know what happens...I have been through it, and we will help you every step of the way!

xoxo

Lisa

• Kara
    Kara Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2008
    Options

Oopsie --- I think I forgot to take my tamoxifen this morning.  I counted the pills left in the bottle and there's one too many.  But I can't be sure it was today.

I take medicine for my thyroid every morning.  I have been waiting until after I eat to take the Tamoxifen but if that doesn't work, does anyone know if I can take it at the same time as my thyroid medicine?  Maybe then I wouldn't forget. 

• unlimited
    unlimited Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2008
    Options

Kara -- I take thyroid meds too - and that lovely tamoxifen since July 2007 ... I initially was taking the two together -- But the tamoxifen sure messed with my TSH levels.  I was told its best to take thyroid in morning on empty stomach  - and tamoxifen at another time -  so I take my tamoxifen prior to bed ...

Hope that helps