Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bottle o Tamoxifen

Options

Comments

• Barbeqrn
    Barbeqrn Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2008
    Options

Garnetann, I went to our local animal control place and there were 2 pure bred german short-hair pointers! I went back and was so happy because one was hooked up with her owner who said the dog had traveled 20 miles from home and the other was adopted by a family. I was there today and was going to possibly adopt a Golden retriever but he is heart worm positive. I was so sad leaving there...

Betsy, I have always loved Italian Greyhounds!!!! They are soooo cute.

Native Mainer, I love your German Shepard...beautiful dog! How old is she/he?

Congratulations Layne on all your good news! I just had some dental work as well...I always had good teeth until I decided to put braces on as an adult....all downhill after that.....Yuck!

Basha, love your description of hot flashes! I too get those flashettes!

Barb

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,820
    edited January 2008
    Options

Snookie is probably 7 or 8 years old.  I adopted her from a shelter where she was taken as a stray.  At the time the vet thought she was just about 1 year old.  She is starting to gray in the muzzle, but you should see her dance when I ask her if she wants to go for a ride! 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,820
    edited January 2008
    Options

A quick update--

had my 1 year mammogram yesterday.  I started melting down big time when the tech came out to get me for more images with the digital machine.  I knew the radiologist wasn't in yet and was completely convinced that the tech had seen a huge cancer, even though she said she wanted to get more detailed images of the lumpectomy area because radiation had made the tissue very dense there.  Then I sat in the waiting area again waiting for the doc to get in and look at the images. The longer I waited the more I was crying and shaking.  When the tech came to get me the third time I thought I was going to faint.  Then she sat me down in an exam room and said the doctor said everything was fine!  Nothing suspicious, nothing abnormal, just the expected surgical and radiation changes!  I thank God  I got a tech that was compassionate enought to break the rules and tell me the results right away! 

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hey NM,

Congrats on the good read!  Keep the faith!

Take Care,

Trish

• VirginiaNJ
    VirginiaNJ Member Posts: 314
    edited January 2008
    Options

NaitiveMainer- very happy for you...and that you got your results right away!!

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited January 2008
    Options

NM...congrats!! I know the feeling...I had mine done last Thursday..and the tec came out and gave me the thumbs up as well!!

• ashaby
    ashaby Member Posts: 200
    edited January 2008
    Options

Dear NM and Virginia,

Yay!!! I'm stealing all the good luck I can from you 2 . xxBasha

• JapanLynn
    JapanLynn Member Posts: 211
    edited January 2008
    Options

Woohoo, NM!  That's great news!

Basha, we'll be waiting not so patiently for results of your biopsy.  Keep the faith...thinking of you.

Not much news from here...stiff and achy in the morning in particular.  I need to do some stretching...sick of this lower back and hip pain, but if this is as bad as it gets, I'm blessed.

Lynn

• prayrv
    edited January 2008
    Options

OK ladies - here's one for you.

Has anyone have abdominal pain the week after your period to the point where it hurts to press on your lower tummy? 

I only have it the week after my period and boy it hurts.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Take care,

Trish

• VirginiaNJ
    edited January 2008
    Options

Basha- thank you!  :)  Yes, it IS definitely a relief to have "normal" tests...  I guess we'll all be on pins and needles until we have a few under our belts (i.e. not having the major freak out every time we have to have a test...)  Sheesh, I never USED to worry!!

Trish- I have painful periods sometimes, but now that I have been having TV ultra-sounds, they are revealing that I am very cystic---so that must be the cause...

Virginia

• prayrv
    edited January 2008
    Options

Virginia,

I have only 1 cyst on one of my ovaries that I'm aware of, but besides the painful periods, it is the week AFTER my period is over that it hurts to press or even touch my abdomen.  Sigh.

Take care,

Trish

• my3girls
    edited January 2008
    Options

sorry Trish..no periods here anymore...and I never had really bad ones like that.Frown

Good news Virginia!! That is 3 of us, you, me and NM!! Great news!

• Kara
    Kara Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2008
    Options

I'm hopping on the T-Train with all you wonderful ladies.  Hope the big comfy chairs on this train automatically heat/cool to keep me comfortable for the journey.

I started Tamoxifen on Jan 4th - week 1 down - 259 to go!  I'll be on it for 5 years unless I go into menopause and then the Dr will switch me to something else.  My flyer also said one se was Weight Loss.  Time will tell and everyone is different.

I'm only on page 4 of reading all of your posts so I have a ways to go to get up to date.  I'll be glad to learn from your experiences and share my own.

• LottaQuilts
    LottaQuilts Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2008
    Options

Well, to celebrate getting my port out yesterday and starting rads today I just downed my first Tamoxifin.   So I'm on the train, too.

I see my buddy, Harley is on as well.  Save me a seat, will ya?

Abbi

• my3girls
    edited January 2008
    Options

Just wanted to welcome Kara and Abbi!  Welcome aboard!

xoxo

Lisa

• Harley44
    Harley44 Member Posts: 2,126
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hey Abbi!  Good to see you again!  I guess we'll be not sleeping again, because of the hot flashes that wake us up in the middle of the night!!  So much fun!!  Are you still taking...  was it Lexapro?  I am still taking Effexor, because it is supposed to help with the hot flashes.  I have been taking Tamox. since 11/18, and so far, it hasn't been too bad.

Hugs,
    Harley

P S How's your hair doing?  Mine is about 1 inch now, and GRAY GRAY GRAY!!   GRRRR.... 

• VirginiaNJ
    edited January 2008
    Options

Harley- you are funny...  My hair was poker straight before, and now I have all these curls coming in.  They told me it would happen and I kept saying "no way...my hair is poker straight."  I know they will go away, but for now the curls are kind of fun...  A little unruly!!

I have more grey than before, but I still have more brown than grey...at least for now!!

:)

Hi to Kara and Abbi (and everyone!!).  Kara, where in NJ are you from??  I live in northern NJ near the GWB... 

• JapanLynn
    edited January 2008
    Options

Woohoo...glad we have two more riders, Kara and Abbi!  I think we might need to add a new car to the train soon.

Stiffness and achiness continue off and on...I'm anxiously awaiting my traumeel ointment, which should be coming in the mail any day now.  Hoping it's the fabulous pain reliever others have found it to be.

So glad it's Friday...and I get to go to a conference in Tokyo next week.  It'll be nice to have a change of scenery. 

Take care, Tamoxi-friends!

Lynn

• ashaby
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi Gals,

I had an appt. with my oncologist

today and she was quite reassuring about the unlikelihood of my calcs being cancer. But she did mention it might be a 'CLEAN UP" .Those words sure are euphemistic if it involves a scalpel and anesthesia. This waiting period has been quite excruciating and I'm ready to get it over with. Jan 21!

I've found naps are a good distraction.

Keep growing your hair, gals. I lost my curls when I turned gray.

XXXX

Basha

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2008
    Options

So far so good.  Hate the daily reminder of what I have been through though.

Leslie 

• burquie
    burquie Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2008
    Options

Guess I'll hop on board this train; started my Tamox in Oct, so I have a few months under my belt! Go for my 1st post-treatment next Friday.....getting a little anxious!

Which way to the food car?? I need a cold drink for the flashes!

• Harley44
    edited January 2008
    Options

Virginia,

My hair is still straight, I think, but there may be a little curl on the ends.  It is really SOFT!  My dh keeps running his fingers through it, b/c it's so soft!!  It is NOW longer than my short wig and I have to decide whether to just wear the long wig, or just give up and go without...  I think when it gets a little longer, I may be brave and try to ditch the wigs!

Good luck with the Tamoxifen!! 

Harley

• Harley44
    edited January 2008
    Options

Virginia,

My hair is still straight, I think, but there may be a little curl on the ends.  It is really SOFT!  My dh keeps running his fingers through it, b/c it's so soft!!  It is NOW longer than my short wig and I have to decide whether to just wear the long wig, or just give up and go without...  I think when it gets a little longer, I may be brave and try to ditch the wigs!

Good luck with the Tamoxifen!! 

Harley

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited January 2008
    Options

Welcome Abby and Kara! Congrats to all the good test results.

Basha , naps are good! Good luck and will be thinking of you the 21st.

Virginia , my hair was poker straight too. It is about an inch long and is starting to get a little wave to it. Will be interesting to see what we end up with.

I'm taking effexor now , but still having sweaty hot flashesFrown. Seems like so many things set them off. I'm on 20mg. How much do you gals who take it have? Maybe my onc can give me a higher dose.

Take care all.xxxx Melody

• JapanLynn
    edited January 2008
    Options

A question re: spotting and tamox.--

This is probably TMI, but a couple of times I've noticed a little blood on the toilet paper lately.  It's very light, though...not like menstrual blood.  Is this spotting or something else?  I haven't had a period since September.

I got my tube of Traumeel today, and rubbed it on my hips and shin.  So far, so good...I'm going to use it before I go to bed and see if it relieves pain while sleeping.  I so want this to work...tired of being achy.

Hope everyone is having a good day...mine's almost over.  Time for bed in a couple of hours...take care!

Lynn

• my3girls
    edited January 2008
    Options

G-night Lynn...sweet dreams!

Harley...my hair is over an inch long, and it came in straight, but now it is really curly!!  I went a month ago to my hairdresser, and he cleaned it up and I had color put on.  It was too "salty" for me!

I never put the wig on after that.  I get compliments all the time about my cute "haircut"..haha...I laugh and say thanks...it's actually a hair growth!!  So...ladies..for those of you who are not sure about going without the wig...I say DO IT!! I am sooo glad I am not wearing it anymore.  One big plus is that it's allot cooler when I have a hot flash! 

Hot flash right now!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my.......sweating!

Have a lovely day!!

xoxo

Lisa

• LottaQuilts
    LottaQuilts Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hey Harley - yeah, I'm still on the Lexapro.  My onc. said it'll help with the hot flashes as well, though I'd like to get off of it because my libido is pretty much dead.  (sorry to get so personal, but it's a fact).

I've gone "commando" for the last 3 weeks now, I guess.  My hair is salt-and-pepper and maybe a little more than 1/2" long.  Curly as can be (but I always did have curl).  Funny thing is, it's not long enough yet to make a full curl..... so it's just kinda sticking out funny in places.  But I don't care.  At least I have hair and it IS growing rather quickly.

I've been taking Biotin and using a Biotin shampoo as I've seen several people recommend on this site.  Don't know if it's doing anything, but it sure can't hurt!

But I'm changing the subject.  This is the Tamoxifin train, right?  Well, by now I've taken 3 pills (I take 10 mg twice a day) and at least they don't make me sick (my usual reaction to any pill).  Waiting for those hot flashes to kick in during the next couple weeks from what I can gather.

What fun!

Abbi

• VirginiaNJ
    edited January 2008
    Options

I agree --- all those considering "commando" (no wig) DO IT!  I stopped wearing mine in October (had my chemo in May/June).  Had about 1/2 of hair that was perfectly straight.  Now I have almost 2 inches of hair and unbelieveable curls!!  CRAZY!!  I still don't have the "guts" (kudos Lisa!!) to go get ANY of it cut, even if it's for a shaping...  I'm just so glad to have hair that I don't want to cut any of it!!  LOL 

I've remembered to take my Tamox, I think, for almost 1.5 weeks!  This is because the pill box is on my vanity...  I forget when I hide it in the draw.  Oh well, so much for aesthetics!  I'll just have a crummy cluttered vanity---so long as I can remember to take the pill, right??  My SE's went away fairly quickly...had very mild hot flashes, but I don't suffer from them any more.

What I notice the most now is that my hands are swollen.  I know I've written this a hundred times (I'm sorry for being a broken record).  None of my rings fit me anymore...  I am a lifer for Weight Watchers and have gained and lost 50 pounds more than once.  Unfortunately, I am on the "upswing" of weight...but I never noticed the swelling of the hands before with "normal" weight gain.  I am also on Herceptin, so I'm not sure if that is a SE for that med.  I should check and see if there's a Herceptin SE board...

Ok, sorry for being so long winded.  I am going on a cruise next week.  Whoo hoo.  I am going to eat like a pig and drink like a fish...then join WW and a gym when I get home...  :O

Happy Friday all!!

Basha- thinking of you...let them tell you it's a "clean up" and get those calcifications outa there...  Best wishes!!!!

Lynn- Tokyo!  How exotic that you live in the Orient...

Melody- I bet your hair goes curly as mine did...although my hair dresser assured me it would eventually revert to straight...   

Harley- I have super soft hair as well!!  (But no DH to run his fingers through it...)  Though, I do have my little 6 year old niece rub my head and chant "grow, grow, grow" every time I see her...seems to work...  :)

• ashaby
    edited January 2008
    Options

Virginia,

I have such tight rings, too, that yesterday I bought myself a plain silver band($12) to wear until the puffiness subsides. I've also gained almost 20 pounds since dx and had been losing on WW. Hey, we could meet on the ww message boards too. heehee..

Thanks everyone for your encouragement re my wait. Sometimes I feel like I got booted backwards while everyone else is up front in the train.But soon I'll bust out of the caboose and be back in action.

xxxoooBasha

• Harley44
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hey Lisa, Virginia, and Abbi,

Yes, my hair is mostly gray, but I read somewhere that we should wait 6 months to color it.  I saw a bottle of "natural" hair color/shampoo and I think I'll try that, when I get brave enough. 

I bought a tube of hair gel, and I think I'll try to 'spike' my hair and go without the wig soon... only I think it's too short even to do that! 

Oh, Virginia, I can't even think about cutting my hair, even to just shape it up a little...  My sideburns have grown the most, and they are kind of sticking out, but I don't DARE even cut them! 

Abbi,

I also have terrible problems in the libido dept.  I am having problems with bleeding after sex-- I think something is tearing, and it is kind of painful...I know TMI!!!!  Anyway, this makes me SO not in the mood!

You are right... this is a Tamoxi train, so I will ask you a question or two... one about the hair again... sorry... you say you are using a biotin shampoo that was recommended here on this site... what is it called?  I am using Nioxin, but I can't continue that for much longer, because it is SO expensive!  But, even if the biotin shampoo is alot of money, I would like to try it and see how well it works!

Next, did you say you are taking Tamoxi twice a day?  10 mg?  I thought it only comes in 20 mg dose.  What is the reason for taking  it twice a day?  Does it keep the hot flashes going all day, and not just all at once?  When I take the 20mg pill at dinner time, I usually get a huge hot flash at 10:30, every night!! 

Thanks for the advice!

Good Luck everyone!  Welcome to all newcomers on this wild and crazy train!!  There are plenty of seats left, but you will have to hold on tight, cause it can be quite a bumpy ride!

Harley