Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bottle o Tamoxifen

Options

Comments

• Harley44
    Harley44 Member Posts: 2,126
    edited November 2007
    Options

AWB,

I wanted to take Evista in addition to an AI, but I guess that hasn't been tested yet...

Good Luck!

Harley

• Barbeqrn
    Barbeqrn Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2007
    Options

Hi, sorry I am late joining you all...I just started with the Tamoxifen therapy Nov 26th and my literature said "weight loss" too...oh well, the thought of not watching the diet was nice for a short time!!!!

Harley, I haven't heard from you in awhile as I have been on the rad thread for the most part! I hope yo are doing well and that you are happy with your surgery results.

I too am getting a small amt of hair back...weird thing though is that 4 weeks after chemo I am missing eyelashes on the bottom of one eye and about half on the other! I wonder why the delay...how long does it take to grow lashes back?

Barb

• Harley44
    edited November 2007
    Options

Barb,

My eyelashes are still very short and VERY sparse!  When they occasionally fall out, they are very short, and I often wonder if I will ever get full, long eyelashes again.  Probably not, since they were short and sparse from the thyroid condition I have...  oh, well!

My hair is VERY SHORT, but it seems longer and thicker in the middle, where I would sport a mohawk, if I had had the nerve to cut that style when I lost my hair!   lol 

I am doing great!  It's 7 weeks post chemo, and 3 weeks post surgery.  The reconstruction is starting to look good!  At first, they didn't look AT ALL like breasts, just two lumps!   Now, though they are starting to look like breasts.  My dh told me that the ps told him that they will be 'molded' into breasts by me wearing a bra almost all the time for about a month or two.  I am just now finding a way to sleep on my side, because I just can not sleep on my back! 

I guess you haven't heard much from me, since I didn't get rads.  I guess we will hear more from each other now that we are both taking the Tamoxifen train!  I started Tamoxifen on Nov 18th.

Good Luck!

Harley

• Jani_
    Jani_ Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2007
    Options

Good morning Tamox-ladies!

I've been on the Tamoxifen-train since 5 November, and initially there were no SE's. I almost thought that I might not be metabolizing it, and would have to stop (I can dream, can't I?).

Now the "power-surges", as Lynn calls them, have started, but not too hectic. What really gets up my nose though, are those night sweats. I really, really love my sleep, and never had a problem. I could even sleep standing up! But now, I wake up drenced, and bothered. Anyone with some advice on how to curb it?

Another thing, I've been having some lower-abdominal pain. I don't know if I'm just blaming everything on the Tamoxifen, or if I should be worried about it. I'm seeing my onc. on 14 Dec. so will have to mention it to her.

And weight-loss on Tamox.? I can do with some of that...

Have a great weekend ladies!

Janine

• petjunkie
    petjunkie Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2007
    Options

Hi All,

I started taking tamoxifen two weeks ago. My oncologist told me that pre-menopausal women usually have fewer side-effects (I'm 33). I have joint pain, especially in my knees. No hot flashes yet, hooray!

Everyone I have talked to warns of weight gain, especially around the belly. I already am overweight and tend to gain in my abdomen, so I'm not excited about this. Yet here I am sitting on the couch when I could be exercising ;-)

Anyone doing tamoxifen without having gone through chemo? It's hard to tell which side effects people might be having chemo drugs vs tamoxifen.

Karen

• bomber410
    bomber410 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2007
    Options

Just a short note to say Hello again.  I'm sitting here with my bottle o' tamox...  I will begin tomorrow morning, December 1.  I'm okay with having hot flashes but don't want hair thinning or weight gain.  Of course, I'll also pass on that risk of blood clots and strokes.  Can I pick and choose my side effects? 

Have a good one.

Debbie 

• JapanLynn
    JapanLynn Member Posts: 211
    edited November 2007
    Options

Good morning from southern Japan, ladies--

I've been reading on these boards about not taking prozac and tamox together...I've been on prozac for about 4 years, first for mild depression and now to help w/ menopause symptoms.  During BC treatment, I saw a million doctors and filled out a million health surveys...can't honestly remember whether I told my onc. about the prozac.  I stopped taking it a couple of days ago and faxed a letter to my onc. for advice on whether to make it a permanent holiday.  We will have a fax and/or phone relationship while I'm here, and I'll see him next summer.

I know a lot of people are on effexor along w/ tamox.; we'll see what he says.  Maybe I could try going without an antidepressant--the idea appeals to me, but if my period decides to make another (increasingly rare) appearance, I'm in danger of losing all my friends due to mood swing scariness.  Stay tuned...we'll see.

Question: How often do you stage I and II ladies see your onc.?  Just curious since my situation is different.

Enjoy your Friday evening...I'll be doing laundry and cleaning house on Saturday while you sleep.  Take care...

Lynn

• yellowrose
    yellowrose Member Posts: 181
    edited September 2010
    Options

-

• chemo072
    chemo072 Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2007
    Options

txgirl - good job on the weight loss though!!  I know it's slow, but at least your making headway, which is more than I can say. :(

• Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2007
    Options

Layne - I'm doing good sleep wise.  I'm back on the Ativan, but half a tablet is usually enough to get me to sleep.  I've started taking the Toprol earlier in the evening because it was causing me extreme acid reflux (guess that's why they say to take it with food).  I had an echocardiogram today, but I don't see my dr until the 20th so I'll have to wait to hear what the results are. 

I hope you don't have an issue with the coumadin.  My girlfriend who is on coumadin says she bruises so easily because of it.   

I'm sure you'd rather have been sleeping, but Skyline Drive in the morning sounds like a beautiful experience.  My husband and I drove from CA to MA via I-40, and I wanted to do the Skyline Drive when we got to VA but by then my husband just wanted to hurry to MA.  We both regret that we didn't do it.  If you have to be driving around in the morning, it's wonderful that you have such a beautiful park near by.

Karen - I have joint pain, but I had it before I started on the Tamoxifen so you're right about it being hard to tell what's from chemo and what's from Tamoxifen.  I haven't gained weight, but I do have belly fat now.  It developed when I was on Taxotere, I think.  I'm assuming it's from chemopause and the lack of estrogen.   

Debbie - oh, to be able to choose our side effects.  lol  I don't have any sign of hair thinning so I hope it's not a late side effect.   My hair isn't thick to begin with. 

Lynn - my onc considers me advanced Stage 2 and I see him every 3 months. 

txgrl01 - I'm sorry to hear about your endometrial issues.   Please let us know what you find out.

Layne & Debbie - welcome aboard the T Train tomorrow!  Wish we could meet for some chocolate and cocktails in the lounge car.  Smile

Cynthia 

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi to my tamox friends!

Harley...be patient with the eyelash and eyebrow return.  I too wondered if they would ever come back.  I had my last tx on 8/29 and they still continued to fall out after that.  But now 3 months post tx..and they are back!! My eyelashes still have a little longer to grow..but they are full, just like before!! So happy...so yours will be too!

Layne..Enjoy your visit with your mom!  Where in Ohio?  I am in NE OH.  Thanks for the welcome to the tamoxi-train!

txgirl...Wow...good for you! 15lbs in 3 mos! I think those are great results! That is the healthy way to lose..slowly!  Your calorie intake is really low...maybe that is what I need to do!  Like you..I too gained some weight prior to dx...wonder if it had anything to do with the cancer being there?

Cynthia...I also got my belly fat on taxotere.  Hardly had any before that tx. Darn!!

Have a great day ladies...it's Saturday...but I am workingFrown

• jackiebrown
    jackiebrown Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi everyone,

I started Tamoxifen about 2 weeks ago. I had trouble sleeping for a few days and very little appetite but it seems to have passed. I do have aches in my legs though, has anyone else experienced this? I finished chemo 5 weeks ago and am not sure if the aches are from Taxol or Tamox or something else.

Does anyone know how long the effects of chemo linger ... ?

Jackie

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hello Ladies , I'd like to join the tamox train! I started in Sept. I have had alot of hot flashes. To the point of my head is dripping wet! Sometimes hourly. Not fun. Especially at work. I just started effexor two days ago. My onc wanted to see if the hotflashes would stop on their own , but they didn't. So I sure hope it helps. He also mention getting a transvaginal ultrasound done. I never heard of this. Doesn't sound to comfortable to me. Anyone that has had one and would like to share , I'd appreciate it.

Hope you're all having a great weekend. Melody

• ashaby
    ashaby Member Posts: 200
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hey Layne,

I just swallowed my first Tamoxifen. Yum yum. How was yours?

Basha

• ashaby
    ashaby Member Posts: 200
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hey Layne,

I just swallowed my first Tamoxifen. Yum yum. How was yours?

Basha

• leaf
    leaf Member Posts: 1,821
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi honeygirl. I have had 2 transvaginal ultrasounds.

The first wasn't so bad because they didn't give me the right instructions, and I drank my 2 liters of water about 15 minutes before the procedure.

For the second one, see http://community.breastcancer.org/topic/62/conversation/683827

I'd recommend cheating. (naughty me.)

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hey Melody...welcome to the train ride!! I had several hot flashes last night!! Always seem to be worse when I am in bed!

Have a great day...talk with you ladies later!

awb...how are you doing?

lisa

• drgnfly
    drgnfly Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2007
    Options

Is there room for one more??I started my tamoxifen 5 days ago. I had been having bad hot flashes since my second round of chemo and I haven't noticed any difference, but I don't know how long it takes for the side effects to start. I am 16 days past my bilateral mastectomy. I am really hoping to get my drains pulled tomorrow morning! I will be glad to have the support of all of you gals as we go through the medical ups and downs (hopefully more ups!!) :o)

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia,

Did I read one of your posts that mentioned that you were having some achiness from the Tamoxifen? 

I have started feeling achy, and am just wondering if it is from the Tamoxifen, or just usual aches and pains from getting older, and maybe because I have started to walk, and even run again.  I like to walk fast...  but I want to start running soon, even though I have never been able to run continuously for any length of time.  Except  for the 5 K  I ran 2 years ago with my dh.

I hope you are feeling great!  

Harley

• jacki45
    jacki45 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hello from England!!

Been on Tamoxifen since about May (memory shot since starting it!!), so I'll be joining you on that train ride if that's ok?

Suffer from aching joints (Ibuprofen helps me - high doses though) and I've put on weight, but possibly cos I can't move around quite as well as I could. Feel like an 80 yr old in a 46 yr old's body, especially in the morning and last evening!!

I've started having hot flashes (we call them 'hot flushes' in England -- whatever, they're nasty!!).  I'm forever ripping my top off around the house and then can't find it again when I cool off! Luckily I show a bit more restraint when I'm out and about :-)

Nice to meet up with you all.

love,

Jacki x

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,803
    edited December 2007
    Options

I started tamoxifen in October.   I didn't have chemo(refused it), so any SE I develop will be from the tamoxifen.  So far, no SE.  NONE.  I do also take prozac and neurontin (prozac for years, neurontin for LE pain) both of which have been used for tamox SE, so maybe any SE are just being masked.  But I'm really, really scared the tamox isn't doing anything for me.  I'm even more scared of changing from prozac to another antidepressant since I went through so many to find one that works. i've already decided that if I have to chose between treating the bc and treating the depression, I'll treat the depression.  I see my onc early Jan and will find out about CYP2D6 and/or endoxifen level testing.  To answer someone's question, the tumor removed was classified stage 2, and I will be seeing the onc every 3 months. 

• jackiebrown
    edited December 2007
    Options

I have had achiness in my body too, went for a long walk yesterday and it seemed to improve, not sure if it's just a coincidence though.

Hot flashes/flushes so far are easier than they were during chemo.

I've been on tamox for 2 weeks now, is this enough time for symptoms to present?

Jacki - I'm in England too!!

x Jackie

• awb
    awb Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2007
    Options

Jackie--I do remember a horrible yeast infection within the first month on tamoxifen, but it never happened again.  I didn't really notice any hot flashes or insomnia for about 2 or 3 months and they were both really mild.  I had to have a total hysterectomy a few years ago, so now my oncologist feels that any SEs I have (alot of achiness) are more due to the loss of estrogen from not having any ovaries, but my gyn and pcp fel it is from the combination of the 2 (I tend to agree, it only makes sense).

• hlg2314
    hlg2314 Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hello Everyone,

Can I join the train too?  I have been on the Tamox since May. I have to say that I gained a lot at first but I am on a water pill so I have maintained.  My OC said that I do have to exercise.  So I will be turning a new leaf at the first of year.  I never heard anything about losing weight though.  But, hey you never know.  Everyone is different.  I will have to say the hot flashes were awful.  But he put me on Effexor and that worked.  Other then that not too bad.  I did have a period though so he started me on the Zoladex shot too.

Other then that I will be on the train for 4.5 years.

WOOHOO!!!!

XOXO

Heather

• jackiebrown
    edited December 2007
    Options

Thanks awb, my symptoms so far have been really mild and I hope it continues this way. Achiness has been the worst of it but maybe that's left over from chemo too.

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi ladies , Heather , Jacki and Jackie , lovely to meet you. I think there is a connection between achey joints and tamox. I notice it too. Oh Jacki , I know what you mean about ripping you top off. I have taken off my nightgown when they hit , and after its over , I couldn't find my ng and I was cold!lol I'm on effexor too. I am still getting some , but not as bad. Well girls have a great evening.xxx Melody

• Cynthia1962
    edited December 2007
    Options

Harley - yes, I'm having achiness, but I had it before I started the Tamoxifen so it could still be from chemo.  My fingers are stiff and achy at night, but get better during the day.  I do think I may be developing insomnia, but I'm not sure if it's the Toprol or the Tamoxifen.  I'm leaning toward the Toprol because it was right around then that it started.  I'm having more of the RLS, too. 

Anyone feeling fatigue that they think is due to the Tamoxifen?  I just don't know what to attribute it to.  I seriously want to stop taking the Toprol, because I just don't know what side effects it's causing, but I suspect it's the insomnia and RLS.

Take care everyone and welcome aboard all our newcomers!

Cynthia 

• jackiebrown
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi Melody, I find I sleep with a pile of clothes under my pillow so I can strip/add when needed, also easy to find there! I always have my knit cap and socks handy. Also, during chemo I used to carry a paper fan in my bag when I went out and it really helped cool me off. It was a fabulous red paper one, may have looked a bit eccentric but really did the trick. Hot flashes for me now are milder, it may help that the weather is colder! I can't seem to get rid of achy ankles though ...

xJackie

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi Cynthia , you know , about a month after my last tx of chemo , my energy level was back as good as new. But after I started tamox. I noticed I felt fatigued. Its not real bad , but not as energenic as I was. Is fatigue listed as a SE?

• Cynthia1962
    edited December 2007
    Options

Honeygirl - yes, fatigue is listed as a side effect, but I don't think it's one of the more common ones.  Like you, my fatigue isn't bad, but it's enough that I'm spending more time sitting on the couch than I'd like.

Cynthia