Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bottle o Tamoxifen

Options

Comments

• Barbeqrn
    Barbeqrn Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2007
    Options

Harley,

I spoke with my onc and told him I was feeling pretty good on Tamox, with pretty minimal hot flashes and he told me that some women have min.side effects...I read your post about what your onc said and now I am thinking maybe I had better have that blood test to see if this stuff is doing the job...Yikes!!!!

One of my patients in our sleep apnea clinic was telling me she had bilateral mastectomy 18 years ago and has been cancer free since...definately made me feel better about things!!!!! She said they didn't use Tamoxifen back then!

Barb

• ashaby
    ashaby Member Posts: 200
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi Tamoxifriends,

Mammo went ok. The tech was angelic, letting me choose when to stop the pressure. I'm sore today anyway. She said because of my 3 surgeries, the radiologist needs time to compare yesterday's mammo with pre-surgery ones.The scarring makes all the patterns inside different. I won't know results til next week. It's the not knowing that sucks the worst, right gals? Thanks for your support and I'll keep you posted.

xxoo Basha

• Harley44
    Harley44 Member Posts: 2,126
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia,

I hope you feel better soon!CoolLaughingLaughing

Hugs,

Harley

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Barb,

I just wrote a long reply, and now.... it's gone!!  I HATE these new boards!

I have been told about several women who had bc 20 - 22 years ago, and they are still going strong, and cancer-free!  That always encourages me, whenever I get depressed and discouraged, thinking about all these medications that I have to take.  Another woman who inspires me is Ann Jillian, because she had bc over 30 years ago, and she is fine now... cancer free!! 

I didn't mean to imply that minimal se's mean that Tamoxifen is not working...   My onc said that if I get NO se's, then it is possible that it isn't working, and we will have to switch to something else.  Hot flashes are a sign that it's working.  He didn't want me to have to get an expensive test that my insurance won't pay for. 

Last night, I had a very hot flash, so I guess it is working. 

How long have you been taking Tamoxifen?  I think it can take awhile for hot flashes to start.  I have been taking it for just over 3 weeks now, and have started having "warm" flashes.  I thought that maybe I could tolerate it, if it didn't get any worse.  But now, I don't know... the worst part of menopause for me has been the night sweats, and I can't stand it if they start again in full force!

Good Luck to all of us!!

Hugs,

Harley

• JapanLynn
    JapanLynn Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2007
    Options

Good morning, girls--

Just a quick note before work.

Basha, I'm glad you made it through your mammo...hopefully the wait won't be long.  Glad also you got a kind tech--that makes all the difference.  Please keep us posted on results.

The waiting is the worst part, isn't it?  My breast surgeon was telling me about the surgical team in NY going to DC to tour the new breast center at Walter Reed.  She said it was a beautiful facility, they discussed protocols, etc. and the military does things pretty much the same way except for one thing....it takes A MONTH for patients to get biopsy results.  Can you imagine???  When she questioned that she was told "That's the military."  Hang tough, and think good thoughts...good karma and prayers coming your way.

Cynthia, take good care...so sorry you have the flu.  I hope you'll be able to rest and recover at your own pace.  Sending healing vibes to you.

Love the success stories!  Those are so good to hold on to.  Keep them coming!

Re: SEs...I'm continuing to wean myself from the prozac, and I've started the remifemin.  So far, so good.  Hot flashes aren't too bad...more flushing than flashing; kids are complaining, though, that my classroom is always cold.  I told them to bring a jacket every day--the inside temp isn't likely to change anytime soon. :-)  Hips are hurting some today, and arthritis has been flairing...keeping the aleve close by.

Take care, everyone...

Lynn

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lynn,

Just a question...  Are you taking Tamoxifen?  And you are also taking Remifemin??  I thought that Remifemin contained Black Cohosh, which is a phyto estrogen.  I was told that is a no no for ER+  bc! 

Please check with your dr. to see if it is safe to take.  Let me know, too, so if it IS safe, maybe I can take it too!!

Hugs

Harley

PS  My dh is retired Navy, and he just retired... from DC area, of all places!  I didn't know that Walter Reed now has a breast center... They were supposed to be closing Walter Reed down, and combining with NNMC, in Bethesda. 

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hello Ladies , boy , the weather is getting really scary all around. We are expecting an ice storm tonight. Hope your all safe and warm.

Cynthia , I'm sorry your sick. There is so much going around right now. Hope your feeling better soon. Its nice that your mom can come over and help out. I know what you mean about being nervous about the white blood count. A lady just returned to work , being off for tx for lung ca. She finished chemo in Oct. I'm not sure of all she had , but she said they told her the after chemo , your immune system is never the same again. My onc never told me that. I guess I figured I could build back up over the months after. I'm gonna ask him about that when I see him again.

Barb , Layne and Harley , thanks for the uplifting stories! I can never hear enough of those.

Basha , Thanks for letting us know. I HATE the wait! It sucks big time. But we will be waiting right here with you sister. Positive thoughts going your way daily.

Oh Layne , I love your signature! Take care ladies. xxxxxMelody

• JapanLynn
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi, Harley--

I took in the package of remifemin (got 3 months worth of samples from my gyno right before my diagnosis) to my onc to see if it was okay to take.  He read the ingredients on the box and said it was fine. 

It seems the more I read on this board, the more contradictions I find re: what to take/not to take/do not to do.  Different schools of thought between drs., maybe?  I'll be calling him soon...I'll ask again about the remifemin just to make sure.

BTW--I work on a navy base in Japan, teaching at a DoDDS school.  I, too, thought Walter Reed was closing, but apparently they just built this beautiful breast center.  Trying to figure out the workings of the Defense Dept. is WAY beyond me, even after 20 years of working for them. :-)

Take care....Lynn

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lynn,

Yes, please DO check the Remifemin with ANOTHER SOURCE!  I only say this because I don't think that traditional doctors, like oncs know much about herbal supplements...  I would check this out with a reliable source.  I will be checking some sources and I'll let you know what I find out.

Funny about Walter Reed...  I think I heard that they decided to remain open, but I forget why.   I think they mentioned it in a news article somewhere, but I forget... 

Hugs,

Harley

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lynn,

Here is a link to the bc.org information about black cohosh.  It is undetermined whether it is safe for us bc gals with ER+ bc to take it.  Also, I don't know if it will interfere with Tamoxifen... 

I only seem to end up with more questions and no answers!

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/new_research/20070426b.jsp

• catbert4209
    catbert4209 Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia:

Hope you are feeling better soon!  Keep warm!!

I started on tamo yesterday, so I'm officially a member of the club!  The bilateral mastectomy has been put off until January, so I'll stay on the tamo just to be safe until about a week prior to the surgery.  So far, no side effects, but I think two days is a little short to be watching for those!!

Have a happy rest of the week, everyone!

Cathy 

• Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2007
    Options

Thanks for all your positive comments ladies!  Except for feeling like I was going to cough up a lung, I did alright today.  lol  The worse part was not being able to go out with my friends this evening as planned.  I really, really, really needed it, but I was coughing too much to be in public.  Frown

My mom has been having pain in her abdomen for many months now, and her dr finally ordered an ultrasound which she got the results of today.  She doesn't remember exactly what the nurse told her only that she has growths on her ovaries, and one on her uterus and they want her to get a blood test asap.  So, I'm assuming they are doing a tumor marker for ovarian cancer, does that sound right?  I know that there are benign growths these can be, but all I can think of us omg, omg, omg!  

Cathy - welcome aboard (officially).  lol  I've lost track of how long I've been on Tamoxifen - 5 weeks maybe - one bottle down and a ton to go.  The hot flashes are still mostly keeping to evenings and when I first get into bed.  I also have one as soon as I wake up in the morning.  Definitely tolerable so far, and I hope you do well on it, too.

Honeygirl - well, that's depressing info about the immune system if it's true.  Not that I had any real choice in the matter, but it would be nice to know these things.   Please share with us what your onc has to say about it.  

Layne - I have had an easier time falling asleep lately.  I'm still using the Ativan, but only 1/2 a pill.   Thanks for sharing those success stories. 

Harley - I hope you don't start having the night sweats again.  I've had those in the past, too, and I agree that they're miserable.   

Lynn - glad that your se's have been tolerable.  Does the Tamoxifen make your arthritis worse?   

Basha - glad your mammo went ok.  I'm glad you had such a nice tech who was accommodating.  I hope the soreness is gone soon.   

Gentle hugs to everyone tonight,

Cynthia 

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia,

AWW... it sucks that you couldn't go out! 

I AM starting to have the extreme hot flashes in the evening, and at night, when I am sleeping.  I hate this!  It sucks!

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Harley

• Barbeqrn
    Barbeqrn Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi all,

I didn't know Ann Jillian had bc....or now that I think about it, maybe I do remember that she was diagnosed! I am glad she is doing well after all these years....I love positive outcome stories!

Harley, I think I have warm flashes too...nothing severe, but I have only taken these pills for 19 days! Seems like much longer though.

Layne, thank you for your two "happy bc stories"! The more, the better!

I am watching the news as I type waiting for the story about bc and new ways to treat based upon the individual...this should be interesting! I always panic that they will decide another chemo drug is better so something!

Take care everyone! Barb

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Barb,

Yes, Ann Jillian had bc over 30 years ago, I think.  She did a movie about her bc story, and I never saw it...  I read, though, that she had bc in BOTH breasts, so she had  bi-lateral mastectomy, and chemo, too.  I don't know what else she had in the way of tx... 

She travels and gives inspirational speeches.

I have been taking Tamoxifen for 25 days, but who's counting?!  I really do think that the night flashes are the worst!!  It seems they are getting worse, as time goes by!

Hugs

Harley   

• jdg1
    jdg1 Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2007
    Options

I spoke with my Oncologist and they will wait to start the Hormone therapy until after I  have my exchange in Feb.  They also said that maybe they will give me a shot to put me into Menopause and put me on Ai's instead.  Anyone else have this done?

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia..hope you are feeling better.

Hi Melody.  I didn't know that about the immune system.  I feel like I have never felt healthier than I do now.  I used to get sick a little more often.  I have not been sick since my dx.  Maybe, this will change, but I hope not!  I wonder now, if I got sick more often before, due to having the tumor for God knows how long!?

I have a question for my tamox friends.  Has anyone experienced any upset stomach problems?  I have been fine with s/e, but lately, my stomach has been bothering me.  Just wondered if that is a s/e that anyone else has experienced, or if maybe it's something else with me.  Nothing too terrible, just upset now and then throughout the day.

Have a great day ladies..and for those in the NE part of the country...brace ourselves for a big storm!

xoxo

Lisa

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lisa,

I have been taking Tamox. with food, at dinner time, because I had some stomach issues the first time I took it. 

Hugs

Harley

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lisa,

I haven't experienced any stomach issues.  I take my tamox at bedtime, so if does anything, I'm asleep. LOL

Take Care

Trish

• karol61
    karol61 Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2007
    Options

Connie,

Sounds like you are doing well. Keep up that great sense of humor, 59 bottles  of Tamox to go..........

I had my recheck mammo in October so I'm offically NED!!! It was nerve wracking but I made it. 

How many more rads do you have ? 

Hugs,

Karoline 

• my3girls
    edited December 2007
    Options

Thanks Harley & Trish...maybe I will try taking it at night.  I usually take it with food in the morning.  It can't hurt to change it, and see if that helps my stomach.

Merry Christmas!

Lisa

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Oh Lisa , I am so glad you posted. Yes , I have been experiencing the same thing. I know , I read on the print out they give with your rx , that you should take it with food. Except , I can't eat as soon as I get up , never have been able to do that. But my onc said I should take it in the morning with my other meds. It has seemed to lessened my appetite , which I'm thankful for , but I seem to feel nauseous off and on. I hope this is temporary.

• my3girls
    edited December 2007
    Options

Melody....before when I started posting on this thread, I really was not experiencing much when it came to s/e's.  I have the hot flashes, not too bad, and the weight is slooooooooowly creeping off, and my appetite is less.  But the stomach ache is fairly recent.  I don't take any other meds, but I have always taken this in the am, either with a piece of toast or an instant breakfast drink.  Not sure if I should switch to trying it in the pm?? I guess it can't hurt.

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

No , I don't think it would hurt anything. I had a bad time with heartburn when I was on chemo. I hope it didn't mess up my stomach.

• QueenSansaStark
    QueenSansaStark Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2007
    Options

My Tamox dosage is split up into twice a day pills - I take one with breakfast and one with dinner. I always take mine with food and have no issues with nausea or stomachaches - if you have those try taking it with a meal, not just a piece of toast but something stomach-filling.

I get hot flashes (which I have been getting since my period stopped with chemo) and sometimes it's very embarrassing! The other day I rushed into class and got a MONSTER hot flash - sat there fanning myself with my paper and the instructor asked, "Crystal, are you OK?" Well, I am OK, but my internal thermostat seems to be permanently bollixed up! Embarassed

Though if hot flashes mean Tamox is working I will take the hot flashes over BC any day any way!

BTW, I'm 44 and went right into "chemopause" and was told that at my age it's not likely I will get my period back (that's fine, because I just bought a new pair of white pants! Cool ). My onc also told me he was thinking that I should do two or three years of Tamox (not five) and then go to Femara if my period doesn't come back. Anyone else told this?

• my3girls
    edited December 2007
    Options

Crystal, my oc told me that I would be on tamox for at least 5 yrs, but that they would monitor me during that time.  I am 47, and she also told me that my period would more than likely not return.  She did mention that they may switch the drug, but I do not recall the one she mentioned switching me too.  I have a long way to go...since I have only been on tamox for about 7 wks.

Lisa

• JapanLynn
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi, Crystal--

My onc said the same thing yours did...tamoxifen until he's sure I'm definitely in menopause (right now my period makes an appearance maybe 3X/year), then one of the AIs.  Reading about the AI SEs on this board don't make excited about taking them, but my onc said that, if possible when menopause starts during the 5-yr. tamox. period, that results are better for women who have been on a combo of drugs vs. just tamox.  I just turned 52...if I never see my period again it'll be too soon.  I've done my time--40 years is quite enough, thank you.

BTW, does anybody know why everything I post has that "edit/delete" message underneath?  I'm feeling like a second-class citizen. :-)

No stomach problems for me w/ the big T.--I take it in the morning after breakfast.  Flushes are manageable at this point, but I feel like my hair is thinning...maybe; I have such fine, straight hair, cut very short, that it's hard to tell.  May be just another bad cut.  Sigh...I don't need thinner hair, but I'm sure there are some ladies on this board who would gladly change places with me, so no complaints.

Take care, all...

Lynn

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi ladies , my onc told me I have to be without a period for one year , and then they say "yes to menopause". I had my period through out chemo , but as soon as I started tamox. in Sept. it ended. I am due for a pap test in Jan. will I have to have a trans-vaginal us? And what is that exactly? Thanks in advance.

• my3girls
    edited December 2007
    Options

Umm...I had a vaginal ultrasound during one of my pregnancies...not sure if that is the same thing.  A little embarrassing...but not too bad.

I have been without my period since May...hope it stays that way!! haha

• blackjack
    blackjack Member Posts: 771
    edited December 2007
    Options

Honeygirl..To answer your question a trans vaginal utrasound is an utrasound that is done through the vagina with a wand. It looks at your uterus and ovaries on an utrasound screen. It can detect if you have thicking of the uterine lining or any abnormalities in the lining or cysts on the ovaries. It can be sl.uncomfortable for a brief moment. I think of the procedure as a huge tampon. lol Hope this help you. I have had 4 this year so it is not bad.

Take care, Blackjack