Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bottle o Tamoxifen

Options

Comments

• JapanLynn
    JapanLynn Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2007
    Options

Many, many happy returns, Cynthia!  Wishing a fabulous day, and a healthy year...

Enjoy your day...Lynn

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2007
    Options

NativeMainer, you sound like me. My anti depressant supposedly interferes with the tamoxifen. I take them both anyway. I've been on the tamoxifen for almost a year now with no remarkable side effects until recently I've had an achyness in my bones and I know that it causes alot of women problems in that area. It's nothing I can't deal with but am wondering how much good this stuff is doing with me taking the anti depressant that I am anyway. My onc switched my anti depressant to Lexapro then effexor, and i'd tried welbutrin and prozac. I take Paxil and that's all that works for me. I can't believe I wrote so much but the lady in Maine sounded so much like me that I wanted her to know she's not alone.

• PuppyFive
    PuppyFive Member Posts: 539
    edited December 2007
    Options

{{Cynthia}} HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I know what You are saying, every one is more Important now!

Lynn, nice to meet You, You seem to be a fighter! You keep on Keepin on! Bone Pain is a side effect that some of us get!

But always let Your doctor know when You are having pain, and let

he/she decide what is causing the pain JMO! Good luck

well, a New Year is on the way, so 1 down and the rest of Our Life

to look forward to!

Gods Speed

Puppy

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia,

Happy B-Day!!!!  Hope you have a great day with your husband. 

Best wishes

Trish

• dcbkc
    dcbkc Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2007
    Options

Would you mind if I joined the group?  I started tamoxifen about 3 weeks ago.  Five years sure sounds like a long time.  So far, no hot flashes or joint aches.  I'm pre-meno (48).  I've been on antibiotics for other issues, so I think a yeast infection will have to be dealt with. As far as weight -- I'm staying the same, may be lost a lb. Is it too soon to tell how I'll react?

D

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2007
    Options

D. I've been taking it for a year with no side effects except the weight gain and not sure if that's caused by the tamoxifen or the fact that i just plain overeat. I've just now started having bone pain that I hear usually occurs earlier. That too, may be due to getting older and my body having gone through so much and not the tamoxifen at all. But I came to this site to because of it. Just to check out what other women are going through. When I first started taking it I was prepared for the worst and nothing happened. I didn't even notice a difference so you may not have any se's at all. Alot of us don't.

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2007
    Options

Thank you, Puppyfive for the welcome.

• karol61
    karol61 Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2007
    Options

Happy Birthday, Cynthia,

Sounds like you're going to have a good day with your husband. My birthday is in Feb, I've changed my mind about birthdays,too,having BC changed my outlook on growing old.Cool

karoline 

• dcbkc
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lynn,

Thanks.  I guess I'll just have to hunker down and pay attention to my body -- as if I don't do that now!  But you've told me more in a few sentences than all the lit.

D

• karol61
    karol61 Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2007
    Options

Welcome,dcbkc,

I've been on Tamoxifen since July '07, yes five years seems like a long time but I definately want to prevent recurrance.

S/E for me have not been too bad. Since I'm post menopausal,I was already bothered by hot flashes, I now use Catapres patch (it's a blood pressure med that also controls hot flashes), I had leg cramps at night but now they've lessened.  Have not had weight gain or loss.

karoline

• Harley44
    Harley44 Member Posts: 2,126
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia,

Happy B-Day!!  I was dx with bc in March 2007, but my birthday was not until April 21st.  I celebrated my birthday about 10 days or so before my bi-lateral mast.   Fun, fun!  But, I was HAPPY to be having ANOTHER BIRTHDAY!! 

I will see my general surgeon tomorrow for another follow up.  He will sure be surprised to see me with breasts!!  lol  I am kind of embarrassed... you would think I would be over that by now, but all of a sudden, I am feeling shy about showing my breasts to strangers.

Welcome D, to this crazy tamoxi-train!  Take a seat and hold on tight!  It's a rather bumpy ride!

BTW, I just found out that my Aunt had bc in 1990, 17 years ago!!  She also took Tamoxifen, and is doing just fine!!!  I love to hear stories about bc survivors!  Also, she is NOT a blood relative, as she married my Dad's brother...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Harley

• JapanLynn
    edited December 2007
    Options

Welcome D. and Lynn (nice name!)--

Take a seat and hang with us any time.  Cynthia, hope you're having a great time on your b'day...enjoy!

I, too, am having very few SEs these days...hot flashes are nearly non-existent; my hips have been hurting at night (and the arthritic one during the day, too), but I'm not sure if it's related to the tamox.  I'll have the test next summer to see how I'm metabolizing the drug...until then I guess I'll just enjoy the no-SE part.

It's raining here...that's a good thing, as we're in a drought and may be facing water rationing in the new year.  Hoping we get lots today.

Take care...

Lynn

• JapanLynn
    edited December 2007
    Options

Oops...Harley, wanted to wish you well w/ your dr. appt.  It must be weird having new boobs to show...kind of like adolescence again, right?  For awhile during treatment, it seems like I was taking my top off and displaying my wares for everyone; thought about showing them to my eye doctor just so she wouldn't feel left out. :-)

Keep those survivor stories coming!

Lynn

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited December 2007
    Options

welcome D and Lynn!

Happy birthday Cynthia! I hope you and hubby have a great time. Its nice to get away for a while. Glad you're feeling better.

Well ladies , I got my port out today! Yeaaaaaaa! When they took me into the operating room , I told the team , "if I start to sweat profusedly , don't get alarmed its just a hot flash"! They laughed and alll the ladies said that they knew exactly what I was going through. I hope the area will stop itching now. Man , that drove me crazy.

Harley , I know what you mean. Every doc or medical tech I have seen since my reconstruct give me the same response , "mind if I have a look"! Good luck tomorrow. Thanks for the survivor story. Love'em!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,811
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lynn, thanks for the encouragement.  It does help knowing that I'm not the only woman with bc AND depression that thinks treating the depression is at least as important as the bc. 

• dcbkc
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lynn,

What test for tamox?  Is that something that I should ask about -- about how I'm metabolizing? That's the first I've heard of that.

I'm in KC and we got 1+ inch of snow yesterday and expecting 1-4 more tonight!  When does spring come?

D

• Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2007
    Options

Thanks Ladies for the birthday wishes...my hubby and I had a nice day.  It was so calm and quiet!!!  Quite the contrast to a day with our children.  lol 

Welcome aboard to the newbies.  We're all here to help each other.

Harley - that's too funny about being shy about your breasts now.  It's funny, but my last rad onc seemed shy about my breast.  lol  He had the hardest time asking to check my skin and when I would open my robe, he would glance quickly then look away.  lol  

Lynn - lol  I know what you mean.  My girlfriend and I were joking that I breastfed two children in the time I'd known her and she'd never seen my entire boob until my dx.  It's amazing how many people have seen my breast now.   

Honeygirl - congrats on no more port!  I'm glad the surgery went well.  I'll have mine for another year at least which I thought would bother me, but I barely notice now. 

Cynthia 

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited December 2007
    Options

Welcom to all the newcomers!! I hope everyone had a joyous Christmas!

Happy b'day Cynthia!! I have one coming up really soon!!!!! hahaSurprised

I really think this tamox has decreased my appetite.  I haven't found anyone who experiences this, but my appetite has been allot less since I have been on it now for over 2 months.  I am not complaining, by any means!  I am finally dropping the weight I put on with chemo.  I am trying to loose it all before my reconstruction surgery on Feb. 4th.  I hope I can do it.

Well...not sure if I will be back on much before next week.  So, if not....HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU FINE LADIES HERE!!  MAY 2008 BE A HEALTHY AND RECOVERING YEAR FOR ALL OF US!!

XOXO

LISA

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lynn

That is too funny!  My general surgeon hasn't wanted to look at my breasts since about 1 month out from my bi-lateral mast.  I guess he figures that after they healed, he didn't need to look at them. 

BTW, my appt. went well.  He harped on me again about getting a colonoscopy, so I guess I'll go ahead and schedule that in April, when I go back to see him.  He told me today that he can do colonoscopies.  I really like my general surgeon, and have been looking for ways to keep seeing him, so now if I have to get a colonoscopy, at least I can see him again.  Only, I'll be asleep! 

Hugs

Harley

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia

I am glad that you had a wonderful birthday celebration!  May you have MANY more!! 

Well, it turns out that my general surgeon didn't even want to look at my breasts, so I was feeling all embarrassed for nothing.  He just asked me if I had had my reconstruction yet.  I had on those paper gowns so he couldn't see anything.  The nurse always makes me put them on, even though I think he is kind of shy, too.  ; - )   He just wanted to bug me again about getting a colonoscopy.  My dh and I are going on a cruise in February.  I'll see my surgeon again in April, and I guess then we'll schedule the colonoscopy.   

...sigh... Does this ever end!

Happy New Year!

Harley

• Cynthia1962
    edited December 2007
    Options

Harley - why does he want you to get the colonoscopy?  I've been considering whether I need one, too.  My grandma died of colon cancer but she was in her 80's at the time so I don't think that increases my risk, but my gyn says bc does increase the risk.  Lovely.  My mom just had one and everything was great, but, poor thing, she was awake for it because the sedation didn't kick in until she was in recovery and her dr wouldn't stop and wait.  Ugh!  She must be a slow metabolizer for whatever sedation they gave her.

I saw my surgeon after I finished chemo and she looked at my surgical site and said I don't need to see her again unless something changes.  One less dr I have to see.  lol  

We're having a birthday/football party tomorrow evening.  My hubby is a huge Pat's fan (I think it's required for people from Mass, lol).  I'm looking forward to chocolate cake.  Yum!  I'm not looking forward to trying to make my house presentable.  I'm so tired and don't even want to think about it. I have to put the Christmas stuff away, and find room for the kids' new toys which are currently all over the livingroom floor.  I'm so tired of being tired. Why can't my heart just settle down already?!

Have a nice weekend!!!

Cynthia 

• JapanLynn
    edited December 2007
    Options

D--

The test I was referring to is CYP2D6...all I know about it I read on this board.  Apparently it's a blood test to determine how well you metabolize the tamox. 

Lynn

• JapanLynn
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia--

I'll be watching the game here in Japan on Sunday morning, coffee in hand.  However, I'll be cheering for the Giants!  Enjoy your party and don't worry about your house...most people don't notice anyway.  Hope you're able to get some rest!

Lynn

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,811
    edited December 2007
    Options

Your doctor is probably going on about a colonoscopy because women who have had bc have a higher risk of colon cancer. 

• JapanLynn
    edited December 2007
    Options

True, Native--

I just had my first colonoscopy in Nov.  It wasn't bad, but I was hoping to not have to see that doc again for at least 5 years, but I have to go back in 3 because of the risk factor related to BC.

The prep is gross, but the whole thing is well worth the peace of mind it brings.

Lynn

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia,

My surgeon wants me to get the colonoscopy because women who have had bc have an increased risk of getting colon cancer.  I know this, but I feel like this... I have been through enough in this year, so I don't think it will hurt to wait a few months for that. 

I'm sending you a pm.

Hugs

Harley

• Cynthia1962
    edited December 2007
    Options

A colonoscopy is one of the few tests my drs haven't suggested.  At least not yet.  I guess I'll ask for one next year to get it out of the way.  Has anyone had a bone density scan?  I'm wondering if it's too late for a baseline since I already had chemo. 

Have a great weekend!

Cynthia 

• Barbeqrn
    Barbeqrn Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi all!

Happy belated birthday Cynthia! Hope you had a good day with your husband.

Harley, thanks for the story of your aunt! I was at my best friend's house on Christmas day and her mother was diagnosed over 10 years ago with an "aggressive form of bc which wouldn't respond well to chemo" and just had lumpectomy and rads. So far she is doing extremely well without recurrence. How is the hair doing????

I am not having very many SEs either...I will probably get that test for metabolism as well. Does insurance cover it at all?

Heres to a great 2008 for all of us!!!!!!

Barb

• kagaines
    kagaines Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I have to tell you, reading some of your experiences here with Tamoxifen is giving me pause for my upcoming boarding on the train. Frown  It sounds like alot of its side effects are going to be nothing more than aggravating other conditions that I already have, but in the grand scheme of things, it's almost like picking the lesser of two evils, I guess.  Weight gain? Wonderful.  I don't have a thyroid so all I need now is yet another pill to add to the mix of things to increase the waist line. My doctor is pretty set on going the Tamox route but I am going to ask her if there are any other options available and I guess go from there...I will be sneaking on the this train around the end of next month provided I have no more delays in rads....
  • Lolita
    Lolita Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2007
    Options

I have been trying to make up my mind about the tamoxifen for several weeks. It was strange to me that the onc didn't just give me a prescription to get it from the pharmacy when I was ready, but the tamoxifen was sent directly to my house. There it sits in my medicine cabinet. I'm going for a second opinion at a cancer center next week, and I guess if they recommend it, I'll start taking it. I'm not worried about the weight gain or hot flashes, just scared about the thickening of the uterine wall, fibroids, and the small possibility of uterine cancer. I'm such a worrier that I feel like I'll evenutally just wind up with a hysterectomy if there are too many scares.