Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone on just Taxotere and Cytoxan?

Options

Comments

• CCGirl
    CCGirl Member Posts: 86
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi Sherri,

I’m so happy you’re feeling good this week. I’m looking forward to my third week, too. I don’t feel bad right now. It’s day 5, so my immune system hasn’t crashed yet. I think I’ll have some good days over the weekend. Then, we’ll see. But I’m taking the good ones as I get them :)

Didn’t get extra steroids for after the chemo day. Was told to take Claritin in case of allergic reaction, and for bone pain. Worked just fine. Took a little Tylenol too. I was jazzed up for about 24 hours after the infusion, and then the Neulasta thingy went off and it was pretty much down from there. I think I’ll probably wait another week to buzz my head. That way I’ll be up and about feeling happy when I do it. Better for morale. The nurse told me that days 7-10 can be rough so next week might be not so great. Whatever - it’s for a good cause. Does it go pretty much the same each time? Or do you get hit with some off the wall stuff each time? I would feel a lot more confident if I knew what to expect (mostly). It isn’t fun stuff, but at least if you know in advance, it doesn’t scare you too much.

Hope you have a fabulous evening. I’m off to bed slowly. I’m trying to stay up until 8:30 but I’m not sure if I’ll make it. I feel like a toddler. :)

Xoxo

Nan

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi Nan - I find I start feeling better exactly a week from the infusion. So, in my case it's Fridays and then I begin feeling better and better by the day after that. I really do think that is a good plan to wait until your good week to do the buzz cut. I find my emotions are all over the place after I come down from the steroids. I had mine buzzed off a week and a half after my first chemo. I had about a week and a half further while I had my nice buzz but (I couldn't keep my hands from touching it - weird, I know!) before it started falling out. It began coming out the day I had my second treatment. It's mostly gone now with the gray ones hanging on giving me an old man look. Hope you have a good sleep and maybe tomorrow will be better!

• CCGirl
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi Diane

I’m so sorry about all the trouble you’ve had with chemo so far. I’m on the same regimen and about the same timeline, and so far it’s been not fun, but okay. Hopefully your oncologist can adjust your sodium so the next round will go better. From what I’ve been reading in the forums, it’s so individual, the reactions to the drugs and the side effects afterwards. Some people have no trouble, and some end up in the ER with a variety of things.

It does get better. Make sure you speak up if you feel ill or you’re afraid. Don’t hesitate to ask a lot of questions like, did you make allowances for sodium levels this time, what can I do before chemo to get into the best shape I can before it happens, etc. The oncology team is there for you and to help you. If they aren’t take a page from a woman in our April group and find another doctor.

Also, it’s normal to feel sad and depressed. This is a very difficult time for all of us. Between our cancer diagnosis, surgery, and treatments, and the COVID virus that doesn’t allow anyone to go with us, it sucks. If it becomes overwhelming, you may want to talk to your doctor about some anti depressants or anti-anxiety meds. People have been talking about medical marijuana and saying it works great, too. I’m hoping to try it. Ask your oncologist about it.

I’ve been smearing my nails with tea tree oil. I bought a bottle at Trader Jo’s. It’s strong, so you should put it on with a wet cotton ball. I don’t know yet if it’ll work, but I have high hopes. The hair is coming off next weekend - or maybe sooner if it abandons me beforehand. I cut it short in a bob last week as an intermediary action. Hoping this will make it easier for the rest of it to go. I was really depressed about it last week. But the hair cut helped. So did the cute little head cap my daughter gave me like the ones she wears at the hospital. (She’s a respiratory therapist). She bought herself one so we can be twins.

Oh goodie - it’s almost 8:30 so I can go to bed! Hallelej😂

Nan

• pjb61
    pjb61 Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2020
    Options

Nan, I am with you on doing things in a more "natural" way. I'm not a fan of taking medication! Good to hear you are doing okay without the Zofran. And Sherry, it sounds like you aren't big on taking medication either! I joked that I've taken more meds in the last month than I've probably taken all together over the last 10 years! I don't ever even take a Tylenol! But I've just had to adopt a different attitude as I go through treatment. I will do whatever it takes to manage it as well as possible and work hard at recovery and healing when treatments are all finished.

The Aloxi is just another anti-nausea med that is longer lasting. I think I did fine with it but who really knows which side effects come from which med when you get so many all at once?! My nausea was never severe so I guess something worked!

It is interesting to see the differences in treatment regimens beyond the actual chemotherapy meds. I am given a steroid by IV before TC is infused. And I also received IV Benadryl and Pepcid plus one other that I can't remember at the moment but those were mostly to avoid an allergic reaction. (I was a bit paranoid about that happening because I have a lot of plant allergies and Taxotere is derived from a plant. My oncologist was very sweet to humor me!) And then I have a steroid that I take every morning on days 2,3 and 4. I also take a little trio of meds for those same three days that consists of Claritin, Pepcid and Naproxen. Then I have Zofran and more Naproxen that I can use prn. Plus I took Tylenol a few times! Whew! Overload for sure!

I haven't been doing anything for my nails. My nails look fine but my thumb nails are a little bit tender. Nothing too severe. Hope I don't regret that. I did have some mouth issues with the last treatment so I think I'm going to try chomping on ice chips during this next round to see if that helps.

My oncotype score was 30. I guess we are all in a similar boat. Does this mean we passed or failed the test?!!! Loopy

It's been so nice to feel more "normal" this past week. I've been trying to catch up on housework and doing some work in the yard and garden. We always have a big vegetable garden that is mostly my project but we are scaling back a bit this year to make it more manageable. I won't have enough to do any canning or freezing but at least I'll have some garden fresh veggies this summer. Nothing better! We've been eating asparagus several times a week for the past couple of weeks. It's been great!

Not looking forward to starting this all over again Monday. But at least I have a little better idea of what to expect this time. And this will put me halfway through chemo! Woohoo!

• Cricketdog
    Cricketdog Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2020
    Options

Sugar77- goodness, I can’t imagine doing a second round of TC. Praying your second treatment kicks cancer to the curb for good!!

I am three weeks out from my fourth round of TC. Round 4 kicked my butt. By round 4, the effects of Neulasta weren’t as bad, however. I had horrible joint and bone pain during rounds 1 and 2 that only narcotics could touch - mostly days 3.5 - 5. I played tennis on the morning of day 2 of the second round. By round 3 and 4, I could walk around the block on days 2 and 3 but half way through day 3 started the misery.

Rounds 3 and 4 gave me nausea so bad that the thought of putting zofran in my mouth made me want to vomit. My MO suggested Propel early on to help with dehydration but I couldn’t stomach that by round 4. I would go get fluids via IV each time on day 6. By then, I’d lost 10-12 pounds each round but would gain it back after the IV, which was loaded up with zofran and minerals.

I cold capped so I still have about half my hair.

The hardest part for me post recovery is the fatigue and loss of muscle strength. I have played tennis three times this week and joke I feel 90 years old out there! Moving my body requires so much effort and I am winded very easily. I am pushing myself physically with the hopes it helps my body heal from all the chemicals and trauma. I keep trying to remind myself to be patient but that is not my strong suit!! I am also dealing with cording and go Tuesday for treatment.

Hang in there and hope your treatment, and everyone else’s on here goes smoothly!

• sugar77
    edited May 2020
    Options

Cricketdog - you will gradually begin to feel better I remember by round four last time, my eye was twitching non stop. Also, having radiation on top of chemo adds to the fatigue. I won't be having radiation this go around because I had a BMX. Yeah, it sucks doing chemo again but it's doable and I'll get it done. In the 10 years between my diagnoses, I rarely thought of breast cancer and only popped on here periodically to provide encouragement. I hope I move on as well this time. Full disclosure, I feel a lot more jaded at the moment.

pbj61 - it is interesting the different meds given along with the same chemo regimen. I've been told not to take Naproxen or Ibuprofen as they can affect the platelets. I'd much rather take them than Tylenol. My steroids start the day before, day of and day after - 16mg (8mg 2x morning and evening) of Dexamethasone and only two Zofron (30 minutes before chemo and one a bedtime). Good luck on Monday with your next treatment. If you can, try to ice your nails and maybe chomp on ice during Taxotere...it will help!

Hope everyone has a terrific weekend. It's unseasonably cold and there's even some snowflakes in the air here in Toronto. Yikes!

• keepingcalm
    keepingcalm Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi everyone,

I just had my first round of TC on Thursday and was fine until this morning. Had a neulasta injection late yesterday afternoon so not sure if what I’m feeling is the effects of that or the chemo itself. I’m on Claritin but I’m pretty achy - more muscle aches than joint pain. I’ve got pretty significant sinus pressure (and some pressure around my gums/teeth) - I’d say the sinus stuff and achy neck are what’s bothering me the most. Any similar experiences? How long can I expect to feel like this before I get thrown into the next cycle in 2 1/2 weeks?

Thank you!

• CCGirl
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi Keeping Calm

Everyone can be different, sort of. But I had the same experience. Feeling good until after the Neulasta and then it was like I was slowly sliding downward. Days 3 and 4, felt like I had the flu. Day 5, feeling better. Now on Day 6 and feel almost normal. Tylenol was my best friend in days 3 and 4. It really helped a lot. I took one tablet every 6 hours and when I woke up at 4am or whenever, took another so I wouldn't feel too awful when I woke up. I don't know if the ugh feeling is from the chemo or the Neulasta, but it is not very fun. Temp was okay, just a little up and down. It's starting to go up now, 99.4 (which is normally a blazing fever for me, but I don't feel it). I've heard that days 8-10 are the days of fatigue, when your immune system is at its lowest and the chance of a temperature spike is most likely. I'll let you know.

Hope you feel better!

Nan

• sugar77
    edited May 2020
    Options

Keeping Calm - I've had sinus issues and teeth/jaw pain. I think the Cytoxan can cause sinus issues. I know I need to have the infusion for it done slower. It's normally 30 minutes but I have them run it for 45 instead. This pain was more pronounced after my first round so I startied doing the NeilMed SinuFlo system for nasal irrigation and I think it really helped. I began doing it a day or two before chemo to ensure my sinuses were clear and continued for a few days after. I use distilled water to dissolve the little saline packets. I find by day 7 or 8 I'm beginning to feel like my old self. By then, I usually have moved through the spectrum to having some diarrhea but Imodium helps immensely. I do the Claritin for Neulasta pain but find I also need to be consistent with the Tylenol for a few days after the shot. First round, I had more pain than the second one where I made sure I faithfully took the Tylenol. Most of all, stay hydrated and try to get some exercise and a lot of sleep. Easier said than done, I know.

Keep us posted how you are doing!

Sherri

• keepingcalm
    edited May 2020
    Options

Thanks so much Nan and Sherri. I feel pretty crummy but your posts make me optimistic that this too shall pass! I’m definitely trying to prioritize walking every day but I may also need to just rest more than I have. Going through this with 3 young children at home who don’t really understand makes things challenging, but I do have support.

• sugar77
    edited May 2020
    Options

KeepingCalm - yes, it will pass for sure! You also might find the second treatment is easier. Fingers crossed.

Happy Mother's Day to all the incredible moms out there!

• suz_eee
    suz_eee Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2020
    Options

HI All.

Happy Mother's Day to all you Mom's!

It is very helpful to read all your posts. Nan, you are just a few days ahead of me and that is like a little peak into the future.

I am on day 3 post first TC. Feeling like I have a flu. Achey, tired, nauseous. I feel a little weirdness in my throat, mouth and teeth. Bothersome, but not unbearable. For some reason I thought this would all come on slower. I expected a few more good days before it started feeling bad. I guess the neulasta injection may have gotten this party started.

Hoping to get a walk in today.

-Suzy

• CCGirl
    edited May 2020
    Options

Suz_eee and Keeping Calm - Neulasta is a frenemy for sure. If you feel like you have the flu, try taking some Tylenol. And for the mouth weirdness, gargle and swish every couple of hours and after you eat anything with baking soda/salt and water. I use ½ tsp bs, ¼ ts salt and 8 oz of warm water. It really helps. Did they give you anything for the nausea? If they did, take it for a day or so to get over the hump. Ginger may help, too. I have some candied ginger to chew on. Only problem is i like it too much and would just keep on eating it. Oh well... there are worse things I guess. After Days 3 and 4, I was feeling a lot better. Hope you are too :) Drink lots of water

Happy Mother’s Day to all of the Moms.

Nan

• pjb61
    edited May 2020
    Options

Happy belated Mother's Day to all of the moms on here. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I know I did. It was nice to be at the end of my chemo round so I could fully enjoy it. My oldest daughter made me a wonderful lunch and a delicious lemon pound cake for dessert and then we planted lots and lots of flowers. My hanging baskets and pots are all full. Now I just hope I can keep them all alive when I'm not feeling well. I'll be praying for rain on those days. Lol.

Keeping Calm, hang in there! My worst days were on Days 3-8. Sounds like you are right on schedule with starting to feel worse on Day 3. Seems to be the pattern. I also had some sinus pressure along with pressure in my gums. And the achiness, too. I joked that I wouldn't know if I got the flu because so many of the symptoms are the same as the chemo side effects! Be good to yourself. Yes, try to walk. But honestly, you also just have to do what is needed to get through it. You said you have 3 young children...that is exhausting all by itself! And rest is very important. I'm a big believer in listening to your body. But it will get better! I have felt really great for the last week and a half. And now I get to go in this morning to start it all over again. Yay...not!

Nan, that's great that you started feeling better so soon. It took me a little longer. But it was a roller coaster. There were times I thought I was doing a little better and then I'd crash again. But it really was all uphill starting on Day 9. At least for me.

I did salt water rinses for mouth sores, too. And I kept using it for the awful metal taste in my mouth. That lasted until Day 13 before it finally went away. It was nasty. Made food taste terrible. Sherri, I'm going to try chomping on ice chips this time and I hope it will help both of those things. I'll let you all know!

Suzy, hope you are getting along okay. Just remember, if you're feeling awful, it won't last forever! Better days are ahead!

Cricketdog, thanks for jumping in and sharing your experiences. It sounds like you had a rough time. I hope you continue to improve each day. And I hop you will pop in and let us know how you are doing as time passes. I noticed you had radiation before chemo. I wonder if that had any impact on how you responded to the chemo? I'll be doing radiation afterwards.

Well, I'm off for Round 2 today. Here we go again...Shocked

Patti

• suz_eee
    edited May 2020
    Options

Patti, Good luck today. Your information and timeline is really helpful to hear. I am on day 5 today. So I hope I have just 4 or so more bad days like you. Yesterday morning I was able to take a morning walk. Just a short one, a little over a mile. But then the rest of the day was in the lounge chair. Today does not feel like there will be any walking. Just the chair.

Overnight was aches in my legs. Ibuprophen helped with that and I slept. If fitfully. This morning I woke with a headache, fatigue, and general blah. So I took some acetaminophen.

This is the first day I am not instructed to take Zolfran on waking. Or Claritin. So, I will wait and see what my symptoms are without. I will probably try taking my CBD/THC tincture. I have been experimenting with it very carefully because I do not wish to feel high. On day 3 I took 5 drops, then yesterday 10 drops. I don't think I am taking enough to feel anything yet. So today I will try 15 drops. My Oncologist said THC and CBD have been "game-changers" in comfort.

I hope you all had a nice Mother's day. I can't tell you how helpful it is to come here and read what you are all sharing. It helps calm me to know I am having similar symptoms and they are not to be feared.

-Suzy

• sugar77
    edited May 2020
    Options

Patti - good luck today. Hope everything goes smoothly. We are in your pocket!

Suzy - interesting about the THC and CBD. I should look into it as it's legal here in Canada across the country. You might be surprised and find you start feeling better sooner than you think. Hoping that's the case. Hang in there. The walking you did will pay off so keep it going whenever you can.

Nan - I'm going to look for the candied ginger this week. Not sure where to start. Do they sell it a mainstream grocery stores or would I need to find a chinese specialty store? Is it actual candy drops or ginger pieces. These would be good for my gurgling stomach when that hits after treatment.

Regarding the yucky taste, I've found adding lemon to water helps in the days after treatment. I also have some lemon candies that I discovered when buying as a souvenir from Amalfi coast in Italy last year. They are kind of sour and sweet and really help the taste buds. Certain specialty store sell them and they are available online If interested, look up "Perle di Sole."

I'm bracing myself for my next treatment on Friday. I slept in today but need to get into a better schedule because come Thursday I'll need to get up early to take my steroids after eating something. I'll take these "good" days to get some cleaning done and make some soup for freezing. Have a great day ladies!

• CCGirl
    edited May 2020
    Options

Patti - sending love and support. Hope your infusion goes well and you are feeling okay.

Sherri - the candied ginger is available in regular grocery stores. I get mine at Trader Joe’s usually. But they have it in the other stores, too.

💪

Nan

• pjb61
    edited May 2020
    Options

Sherri, the ginger candy I’m using is made by The Ginger People and they are called Gin Gins. They have a hard candy, a chewy candy and some that have other flavors added. My daughter got the first bag for me from Target but I ordered more from Amazon.

Suzy, hang in there. Hopefully you will feel better soon. Day 6 was my worst day so don’t get discouraged!

Thanks for the well wishes, ladies.

• sugar77
    edited May 2020
    Options

Thanks for the info on the ginger candy. We don't have Target anymore in Canada or Trader Joes. I do love going to both of these stores in Buffalo but since the border is closed, it's not an option. Maybe Whole Food will have them or I can try Amazon.ca. I'll check around.

• suz_eee
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi all. Day 6 today. I am counting my infusion day as day 1.

I tried 15 drops of the CBD/THC tincture and that put me over into feeling it. But I don't think I liked it and I am not sure it helped. So, I may pass on that. Maybe less drops and at bedtime only. Ibuprophen and acetaminophen are helpful. I am alternating them. Sometimes I have headaches, and others body aches.

Sugar & Patti, I hope you two are right and I will be turning a corner soon.
    I keep reminding myself that some of you are doing this with small children at home and I can not complain. (OK, I will complain a little) You are all such strong women.

My sister sent me a package with ginger mango tea, lemon ginger chews, and a coloring book. (perfect gift!)
    You are all correct, those ginger chews help. Mine are Prince of Peace brand. I think she ordered them on Amazon.

Sugar, soup sounds good. I think when I am feeling better I will do like you, and make a big pot of chicken soup and freeze it for the bad days.

XO
    Suzy

• sugar77
    edited May 2020
    Options

Suzy - for sure you'll begin feeling better. I'm lucky this time that my daughter is now 20 and helps with the cooking and stuff on my off days. When I did the regimen before, she was 10 and my sister came to stay and help out after each round.

Patti - I managed to find Gin Gin chews online at a local health food store. They are sold out of the regular ones and only have bags of super strength left. I assume you bought the regular ones? I'm worried the strong ones might be a bit much and I have to drive to a neighbouring city for curbside pickup if I place the order. They were a quarter of the price at this store than on Amazon.ca.

• pjb61
    edited May 2020
    Options

Sherry, yes, I did just buy the regular so I have no idea how the stronger ones would be. That is frustrating. It does say on the bag that you can dissolve them in hot water to make ginger tea, so if you like that sort of thing, and they seemed too strong, that might be an option.

Hang in there, Suzy. I'm guessing better days are not far off. I am thankful that my kids are all grown, too. I also take my hat off to those who manage to go through chemo with younger children. I have a cousin with breast cancer who is 42 and has a 17 year old and a 4 year old. She is stage 4 and is constantly on some kind of treatment. I don't know how she does it.

I am on Day 2 and just waiting for the Neulasta to dispense. Should be about another hour. I have felt a little more worn down today than I did with the last round. Not terrible, just not 100%. Mild nausea, mild fatigue and this morning I had mild shortness of breath. Thankfully the shortness of breath seems better now. Kinda dreading tomorrow. But at least I have an idea of what to expect and how long it will last. I can do it!

• keepingcalm
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi everyone,

This thread is so helpful. Suzy, I hope you begin to feel better soon. While I’m not 100% I do feel quite a bit better today on day 6, although achy now after being on my feet most of the day with my kids (8, 6, and 3). I think part of my feeling better is being off of some of the meds given to prevent nausea etc! I’m sure being out a few days from the Neulasta is also helping. That definitely seemed to like the possible crux of my issues but I don’t want to mess with anything and risk delaying my treatment with low counts. I just want to get this over with to the extent that’s possible! I’m keeping a journal of side effects so I can discuss with my MO at my next appt before the next chemo session. It’s hard to know what just comes with the territory vs what might be able to be adjusted to make the first week more tolerable. That said, experiencing a lessening of some of the challenges has absolutely put me in a better frame of mind about managing the subsequent treatments.

On a separate note, Sugar77, looks as if you have been through a lot. I’m curious how one is followed/monitored post bilateral mastectomy with implant reconstruction. They’ve said I’ll have ongoing appts but what will those appts entail

• sugar77
    edited May 2020
    Options

KeepingCalm - I had a BMX with tissue expanders placed at the end of January. I had two f/u appointments with the general surgeon and he released me as a patient. Simultaneously, I saw the plastic surgeon every other week. I don't know if that is because I developed necrosis and an infection on my irradiated right breast. I ended up having to have the expander removed and the necrosis cut out in an emergency surgery at the start of March. I saw him a few more times after that in March (I developed a seroma) and then he removed the remaining staples on April 1st. He gave the green light to my oncologist for me to proceed with chemo and my next appointment is in mid June. Most clinics at my hospital aren't running due to COVID and the only plastics patients being seen this month are those with infections. If all goes well, the plan is to try again with reconstruction in the right breast in the fall. So I'm not really sure what is normal follow up because I've had so many issues so I was seen a lot. I couldn't go direct to implant because of my previous radiation folllowing my lumpectomy in 2009. Radiation is the gift that keeps giving.

• suz_eee
    edited May 2020
    Options

Good morning. As the day went on yesterday (day 6) I felt a tiny bit better. It got worse again in the hour before I went to bed. But I was encouraged to have some positive direction in these symptoms. This morning (day 7), I am feeling similar to my other mornings. Mornings seem to be a bit better than afternoons. I am hoping the feeling better trend will continue today. The last 2 mornings I did 'Yoga with Adrienne' on youtube. She is great. I am doing the "Home" series. The first two days were very gentle and felt good. I will do day 3 today.

Patti, I have also had some occasional chest pain and tightness. It is brief so I haven't worried much about it. That is also one of my anxiety symptoms when I am highly stressed. So I wonder if it is the medicines or my fears causing it. I hope you are OK today. At least I hope it is no worse than the first round. You are right...you can do this!

KeepingCalm, it is good to hear you are feeling some improvement. Especially with those 3 littles running around. Oy! I too stopped taking all the extra drugs as soon as it was OK not too. I felt like there wasn't much difference with or without. I am taking Ibuprophen and acetaminophen for the aches and pains. I am kind of freaked out about how much medicine I am ingesting. I try not to think about it. But it is hard.

Sugar, you have been through so much. And now all this COVID crap is making it so hard to get all the things that should be easily available to you. You have such a good attitude. You give me strength. My husband is an infectious disease doc and goes in to the hospital most days. So, we are distancing ourselves from each other at home. It is challenging. I actually think I had COVID at the beginning of March (and for most of March). But we aren't sure, and there is no guarantee that I have immunity if I did. So, we will continue to keep our distance from each other. :(

XO
    Suzy

• sugar77
    edited May 2020
    Options

Suzy - so glad to hear you are feeling a little bit better!

Patti - I got the Gin Gins (regular strength) today! A local health food store had them in stock so I went in person to get them. I guess the store is considered an essential service. I also got Mango Ginger Chew by a brand called Chimes so I'm all set. Yay!

Just picked up my steroids, Zofron and Neulasta shot for Friday's treatment. Tomorrow I go for bloodwork and to see the oncologist. Have a great day, ladies!

• keepingcalm
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi everyone,

So tomorrow I’m one week out from TC #1 and while I’ve felt quite a bit better than I did this last weekend I’m back to really noticing the bone/joint pain and sinus pressure + headache today and tonight. For those of you experienced with TC and Neulasta did you have some of the symptoms for some time after the infusion and shot or would I expect this to go away at some point before the next infusion? I heard Neulasta lasts for 14 days (I’m only 6 into that) and also that Taxotere can also have bone pain as a side effect. I’ve certainly never experienced these kinds of symptoms before (pre chemo). I’m not taking anything but ibuprofen as needed at this point and feel Claritin May have additionally exacerbated the constipation issue with some of the anti nauseas. I’d love to take as little as possible but kick some of this pain which I’d rate as moderate. I am going to check in with the nurse tomorrow but would love to hear anyone’s feedback who has been there!

Thanks

• sugar77
    edited May 2020
    Options

KeepingCalm - regarding the length of time I feel pain after Neulasta, it's a few days. I normally take the Claritin the day of the shot and for the next four days. By the time I've stopped taking it, I'm feeling better overall. So happy to hear you are feeling a bit better. Let us know what the nurse says.

Patti - how are you feeling from your treatment on Monday?

I just had my bloodwork done and saw the oncologist. Everything is messed up with COVID. I was initially supposed to have bloodwork at 10:00 and see the doctor at 11:30. That would have given plenty of time for the results to be ready. However, I got a call asking me to come in for 8:00 for bloodwork - ugh! - and 8:45 to see the doctor. Bloodwork ran late (8:15) and they took me early to see the oncologist (8:25) so no results were ready. They told me to plan on chemo for tomorrow unless I get a call otherwise. So, I've popped my morning steroids and am busy cooking and making stuff up in advance for next week. Hope everyone has a good day!

• suz_eee
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi all,

KeepingCalm, I am sorry you are having a hard time with the symptoms. I find I am taking acetaminophen & ibuprophen alternately every 5-6 hours. As soon as they start wearing off I feel the bone pain. Sometimes headaches. Sometime sore throat. Stomach cramps, and low back pain were bothering me last night. Yesterday I took a Zolfran because I was feeling very nauseas. But I do feel better than I did a few days ago.

Sugar, is tomorrow round 2 for you? Good luck to you. I hope you are comfortable.

Patti, I too am looking forward to hearing how your session went.

I am going to go outside for the first time in days and try and walk. I think I will just start with half a mile. I have been having some diarrhea and don't want to venture to far from home.

XO
    Suzy

• CCGirl
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi Sherri - good luck tomorrow. Hope it all goes easily and smoothly.

Keeping Calm - I had some sharp pains in my pelvis and hips from the Neulasta, but luckily it didn’t last more than a day or so, and the Tylenol kept it under control for the most part. It also helped to lay down, curled up in a ball for a while. By Tuesday, it was mostly gone. That was day #9. Now I feel great, no fatigue, no nausea (I probably am going to jinx this now). The only thing that is bugging me is my dry and itchy nose. I’m putting Vaseline in there with q-tips, but someone on the April Chemo group suggested cocoanut oil. Might smell better?

Suzy - Walk as much as you can. It can really help with the fatigue and other symptoms. The other day, I had a mild case of diarrhea and ended up walking around my block several times, afraid to venture too far from the toilet. Worked out okay, though. Just listened to a couple of chapters on Audible and went in circles. My dog had fun, too.

Seriously, if anyone had told me two months ago that I’d be talking about diarrhea with a group of women I’d never met, I would have laughed my head off in disbelief. Now, it’s totally reassuring to be able to do this and know that everyone is nodding and understanding completely.

Thanks!

Nan