Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone on just Taxotere and Cytoxan?

DianeB
DianeB Member Posts: 22

I just started a regimen of taxotere and cytoxan for four rounds. I really need to talk to someone who has been on just this regimen. My first session did not go well. It dropped my sodium levels too low and I had a couple of seizures. They kept me in the hospital for two nights. I have been achey and weak since.  Does it get better? I don't know if I can do this! I am feeling very discouraged. I will be talking to my onc tonight, but I don't know if there are any alternatives. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, but it is very hard. The hair comes off next week and I am depressed about that as well.  Also, did any one have problems with their finger nails? I heard that they can crack and come off.

Comments

• trigeek
    trigeek Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2008

Diane,

I am not on CT but wish I was(Am doing the AC + T dose dense), the studies for that regimen is very promising and it is said to have far less side effects than AC.

When times get tough remember this is only temporary,

My first chemo was the worst one too, cause you are going into an unknown, your oncologist should be able to tweak your treatment going forward. Everyone has a weakness that chemo brings out.. yours probably blew up as the sodium levels. 

Hang in there girl !

• AnnB
    AnnB Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2008

I am on TC and am halfway through the four treatments. I have had a really smooth time. I got constipated the first time and it made me nauseous on day 5, but the second time I took a laxative the night before treatment and for about a week afterward and wasn't sick at all. I didn't feel great on day 5 but was able to do normal things. I of course lost my hair, but have a great wig. No neuropathy or nail loss. Hang in there.

• zap
    zap Member Posts: 1,850
    edited January 2008

Hi:

I can tell you are very afraid.  I had the  same two chemos and I did fine and I know that doesn't make you feel better.  What I do want to share with you is that my nails were just fine too.  I was petrified when I read that they could come off.  They never did at  all.  The hair come  out but you can get a nice wig.  I am sure it will get easier.  If the chemos ar bad for you, the doctor will switch.  i am praying for you.

Susan 

• Cara
    Cara Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2008

Hi,  Sorry to hear you had a hard time.  I am also doing Taxotere and Cytoxan.  My first teatment was a week ago. I never got sick and did not have to take any anti nausea drugs they gave me.  But I did get bad dry mouth with some thrush which is gross. Tomorrow I go for my blood count, hopefully it will go well.  Take Care, hope you feel better.

• Towergirl
    Towergirl Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2008

Hello Ladies.  I just found out today that I will start Cytoxan and Taxotere next week, 4 rounds.  Does everyone lose all their hair? Making the decision for a double mastectomy was much easier than deciding to take chemo, which drops the recurrence rate from 13% to 9.3.  Any advice?

Thanks a bunch.

• WellWater
    WellWater Member Posts: 4,524
    edited January 2008

I am on T/C for 4 rounds.  I had my first one on Monday and it was fine - no problems....on Tuesday I went in for my Neulasta shot and that night was hell.  I had every symptom except the nausea - but this morning I'm starting to feel that.  Wed I stayed in bed all day and slept fine last night but this morning I have constipation and all I want to do is crawl back into bed. 

I'm not sure if my reaction was to the chemo or to the Neulasta.  My onc nurse wasn't sure either - I'm praying that I'll start feeling better in a couple of days.........good luck, I hope you don't have the same reactions........Trina

• prssnprss
    prssnprss Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2008

I am halfway through a course of 4 rounds of TC. I go for my third round in 4 days. It hasn't been a piece of cake, I will say. I kept a daily record of the first round:

Day 1:  Felt great
    Day 2:  Queasiness, unsteady on feet
    Day 3: Queasy, bad headache, bone pain, constipation, mouth sores
    Day 4:  Queasy, bad headache, sharp bone pain, stomach pain, mouth sores
    Day 5:  Queasy, headache, bone pain, general weakness, tingling in scalp, metallic taste in mouth
    Day 6:  Feel much better, still have metallic taste
    Day 7:  Feel ok, itchy scalp, metallic taste, thrush mouth, itching and tingling in lips and tongue
    Day 8:  Feel ok; itchy scalp; metallic taste; rash on back, arms, hands, stomach, face
    Day 9:  Feel ok, itchy scalp, metallic taste, rash itches, lips and tongue feel sunburned, fingers purple and tingling
    Day 10: Metallic taste, fingers very sensitive, very weak, stomach cramps, dizzy
    Day 11: Queasy, very achy and weak, headache, very dizzy, stomach cramps, no appetite, thrush, very sensitive fingers and lips . . . feel sunburned, metallic taste continues
    Day 12: Achy and weak, queasy, stomach cramps, metallic taste continues, fingers & lips sensitive
    Day 13: Feel better, have fewer stomach cramps, metallic taste getting worse, hair is starting to fall out
    Day 14-21: Feel MUCH better.

The second round was different. The queasiness was less, the sharp "bone pain" (actually arms, legs, feet, & jaw) & joint pain lasted only two days. I had thrush only one day, and no neuropathy (tingling in extremities). What I had this time, though, was overwhelming fatigue and aches and depression for two weeks. I had just had tissue expander surgery before this round, so maybe that contributed to the fatigue and depression. I plan to have a talk with my oncologist, because I don't want to be non-functioning for two weeks ever again! So . . . I guess chemo affects everyone differently. And . . . each round may be different from the round before. Pain killers can cause constipation . . . I found that 1 or 2 Dulcolax every day helps with that. Also, I got through the pain at various times with Percoset, Vicodin, and Dilaudid (a form of morphine), but am trying not to take anything unless I really need it.

We are all hanging in there, and counting the days until we are done! BTW, my nails are fine, and I have a great wig. I do have a few eyelashes left and a hint of eyebrows. Good luck!

• Urbie
    Urbie Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2008

Towergirl - I did the 4 tx of T/C - started Oct. 1 and ended Dec. 4.  I did not have a terrible time with it and am SO GLAD that I did it.  I had about 3-4 days during that first week (with each tx) that I felt crappy (mild case of the flu) but it really wasn't so bad.  My tx was usually on Monday and by Saturday I felt pretty much back to normal.  The worst side effect for me was that the chemo made it very painful to wear my contact lenses - still cannot wear them and I am a month out.  I walked three miles everyday except maybe day 4 and 5 after the tx.  I think that helped me a lot.

I just wanted to tell you this because some of the posts on this website made me very scared and I didn't really need to be.  I can now say that I did everything that I could to keep this cancer from coming back.  Chemo does have nasty side effects, but if even one of those cancer cells went into my blood...   I wanted to make sure that I killed it.

And about the hair, I don't think that I would have lost it all, but when a lot started to fall out I had my husband shave it.  That really wasn't a big deal to me.  It is starting to grow back now - very short but hair is growing!  Good luck!!!!!

• WellWater
    edited January 2008

Prssn:  Thanks for the day by day effects.  I am comparing my symptoms to yours and while we share some, there are others I'm grateful not to have.  I love that day 14-21 you felt great!  I wonder if round 2 will be the same as the first round.

When did the hair start falling out?  I read about 2 weeks into it but I'm not sure if that is the T/C cocktail or not.

I know I need to start looking at wigs but I'm sure dreading that job.

Take care, Trina

• Mizsissy
    Mizsissy Member Posts: 72
    edited January 2008

Diane,

I was scheduled for four rounds of TC, just like you, and I had no serious side effects, except for a recurrent bladder infection which was already present before chemo.  I am glad I did, because I understand it is one of the more effective regiemes.

However, seizures are VERY serious and if I were you I'd be *very* careful about having more information before you continue.  Do the doctors fully understand what caused the low sodium levels?  Have you gone for a second opinion?  I haven't heard of this reaction with any of the other women I know who had TC.

Mizsissy 

• wrsmith2x
    wrsmith2x Member Posts: 127
    edited January 2008

I have just started my T/C rounds (1 under my belt) and I have to say as bad as it was that it was not as bad as I thought it would be.  Day 1 - in the chair 2 hours and a little sleepy from the Benadryl but other than that OK.  Next day I felt really good still and didn't get really tired until that night.  The next two days were the flu times 10!  I felt like I had lead in my body.  Day 5 I started getting my feet underneath me and I wanted to try to work 1/2 day but hubby put his foot down.  Day 6 worked 1/2 day and been working all day since.  A little neuropathy and my mouth feels funny inside (chalky?) but I can't seem to describe it well.  Worst thing was on Day 3 my blood pressure must have dropped and I passed out.  Busted my lip and blackened my eye.  Leave it to me!  But am OK otherwise.

I am so blessed to have this place to come and talk.  I am also blogging http://wrsmith.blogspot.com and that helps alot.  I really think this is doable!  And my faith is strong!

For all you ladies who have to be here, and its awful that we do, I say enjoy every moment of this life you have!  And in my case I tell myself - "No matter how bad I have it there is always someone who has it worse."  Puts it all into perspective for me.

We are survivors!!!!!

Dx 11/16/07, 1.2 cm, Stage 1, Grade 3, 0 nodes, triple neg.

Begin each day as if it were on purpose!

• prssnprss
    edited January 2008

Tina,

Hair started falling out on day 13, so I had it shaved the next day. I didn't want to feel like a fallout victim. The hair was pretty much completely gone after the 2nd treatment. Getting a wig can actually be fun. You should take a friend or family member with you and try out a new look. The good thing about synthetic wigs is that they are already styled, so you can put it on and go!

Good luck,

Melinda 

• PAlady
    PAlady Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2008

I had my first round of four on January 4th. I have had some good days and some bad days, but it has not been as bad as I expected. I didn't have any nausea but did have horrible constipation. I didn't get my Neulasta shot until Monday since my treatment was on a Friday. I had pretty severe hip pain from that, but not until Thursday evening. I feel really dried out and try to drink lots of water, but I typically do not drink very much so it has been a bit of a struggle. I have not heard of the losing fingernails, so hope that doesn't happen!

I am getting anxious about the hair falling out, which I am expecting next weekend. I've been trying to prepare myself, but as it gets closer, I think I get more anxious - I keep telling myself maybe it won't happen, when I know it will...

• WellWater
    edited January 2008

Melinda: Just thought I'd pop in and let you know that I did indeed find not one but 2 wigs on Saturday.....took dh with me and he was amazed at the lovely "natural" looking wigs out there.  These are Revlon Alternate hair - synthetic but so real-hair looking, w/o the maintainence or cost of real hair.  Have you heard/seen anything about something called "Comfy Grip"?  I'm going to google it and find out what exactly it is.....only saw a snippet on it and from what I can tell it is a gel band that has velcro on it, the wig sits atop the band and gives your little bald cue some breathing room - no pressure spots.  I'll let you know what I find out.

I am wondering if anyone has the "numbness" feeling in legs & feet?  This sensation comes and goes mainly on the left side. 

Tomorrow I have my blood workup and hopefully it'll be good so I can get my 2nd tx scheduled - that will put me 50% over! 

Love to all.....Trina

• wrsmith2x
    edited January 2008

PALady,

Look like you and I are on the exact same schedule?  And it apears that our diagnoses are very similar - I am ER/PR neg though.  I started my first TC on 1/4 also.  I just had a booster shot today.  May have to have another one tomorrow - not sure yet.  So I'm guessing by Friday of this week our hair will start coming out?  So far things haven't been THAT bad but I am guessing that worst is to come.  Would love to keep up to see how our experiences differ.  Keep writing!  THanks for listening to all!

• Jackie19
    Jackie19 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2008

Dear all I like you am also on the T/C regime (4 doses), my first dose was 1/8/08, it is pretty scary not really knowing what to expect from day to day. I found prssnprss daily record to be a very good idea that I myself will like to use as the days and treatments go by.  The most irritating side effect I have recently experienced is the rotten skin rash, but hopefully after my Dr visit today in which he prescribed Hydrocrotison this will help a lot with that.  My scalp has been tingling the last couple of days, so tomorrow I need to take my Cranial Prostethsis (wig-but my Oncologist prescribed as such in the hopes that my insurance will help cover the cost) to the salon for a trim and comb out.  It is a Revlon from the Headliners, it is monofilament so when I have it on it looks like my real hair, almost. I believe it is within 10-13 days from the 1st treatment the hair begins to have issues, right?  This was a very big step for my, I had extremely long hair, and with the help of my hairdresser and frens I made the step to cut my hair and donate to the Locks of Love.  Now I just kinda sit around waiting for the hairbegone day, oh well, it is only hair and will grow back.  It is really crazy I was diagnosed with BC in Sept 07, went through 5 surgeries, but to this day I still ask myself, why me! Until today I finally decided enough was enough and I logged into the BCF chatroom and decided to talk to others who are going through the same thing I am, some more, some the same and some a little less. I would really like to visit with anyone who might just want to talk and share their experience and hope that I can be of some help/comfort and vice-a-versa.  A fellow survivor - Jackie19

Dx 9/28/07, IDC, Stage 2, 1/15 nodes +, ER+/PR+, HER2- 

• WellWater
    edited January 2008

Welcome Jackie - sorry you got the rash, where is it located?  I had my 1st T/C tx on the 7th and my Neuplasta shot on the 8th.  I see my onc today for my blood workup and hopefully all is well and my next tx can be scheduled......not that I want to do this but I sure want it over with! 

My scalp is not itching or tingling yet - but I have my wigs ready to go.  I am going to order a comfy grip - that looks like it's just the ticket to wearing a wig much more comfortably.  I have a couple hats and hate to invest in anymore wintry hats since I'll be bald going into spring and summer.  Ugh. 

PAlady:  I have been taking 2 Ducolax stool softeners each evening to help the constipation and it seems to be working for me.  Like you I had no nausea either (YET).......each tx can bring new s/e's - what fun.

Stay strong.....Trina

• texrn
    texrn Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2008

Hi all,

I had my 1st TC treatment on 12/28. I, too, had a rash - both arms,

chest, & upper back ( started in the middle of the 1st week ) - they weren't hives, but my onc put me on more steroids ( a Medrol pak ). It was kind on nice, b/c for 6 days I was on a "steroid high", full of energy...then, of course, I crashed on the 7th day. Have had only bursts of energy, since then. I had the full range of GI se's the first 7 days, was on 2 anti-nausea meds. But at least now I know what works, so next time I'll be more prepared.

As far as my hair goes - started to fall out on day 14 - had my husband shave my head on day 15 ( didn't want to look like a nuclear fallout victim ). My scalp never itched or hurt. It was like everything else for me throughout this journey. The "waiting" was

a lot worse than the actual reality of it all. I was so relieved to be over this last BIG hump, i.e. fear of the unknown hump.

I think what bothered me most about losing my hair was the fact that it actually bothered me so much.

For the remainder of my treatments, I'm counting on not having to deal with any more unknowns....yeah right!

Wishing everyone a SE free week.

-Therese-

• prssnprss
    edited January 2008

Trina,

I had the numbness and tingling in my hands, lips, and scalp after the first treatment. Neuropathy is one of the side effects of taxotere, I believe. I didn't have it after the second treatment.

I ended up getting two wigs. One was synthetic, and one I had made from my own hair (a fascinating procedure that they did in one day). The wigs are both very comfortable and easy to put on. They have silk caps, so I didn't need anything else to put on my head underneath them.  The comfy grip sounds good, though. I'm sure that you will find that it works well. By the way, the wigs fit MUCH better when you have no hair! 

Also, I agree with you on the stool softeners. Constipation is a side effect and is exacerbated by pain killers. It is best to just go ahead and start taking Dulcolax daily, or else you will end up going for a week or two without a bm. Not fun! I don't know why the doctors don't tell you this beforehand.

I just had my third treatment yesterday, so I guess I'm still a little pumped up from the steroid. Wishing you all a great week.

Melinda 

• PAlady
    edited January 2008

I had a bit of numbness and pain in my fingers. It was coming and going and haven't noticed it the further out from treatment I get. My doctor told me to take Senokot when I went in for my shot and that  took care of the constipation. And I agree prssnprss why the heck don't they tell us about that up front?!

wrsmith have you gotten the tingley head? I had bad dreams night before last about my hair falling out and woke with the tingling. I am so scared about the whole thing. When I read texrn's comment I cried, cause that is how I feel. I thought I was so mentally prepared - but it's the darn unknown and waiting. I am going for my wig fitting tomorrow. I just hope it looks somewhat natural. I ordered two from the tlc catalog and they look so fake, I could never wear them. I think I will be wearing scarves if not the wig and probably a turban around the house just for the ease and comfort.

prssnprss congrats on being 3/4 of the way through!

• WellWater
    edited January 2008

Melinda:  Congrats on getting your 3rd tx.....almost done - woohoo!  Have you found the s/e's easier as you've gone along?  Someone once told me that the s/e's are cumlative and the further along you go, the more fatigued you are and some of the s/e's get more pronounced.  I saw my onc yesterday and I am scheduled for #2 on the 25th with the Neulasta shot on the 26th.  Since I didn't have any s/e's until the day after my 1st tx, I am still wondering if I was sick all night from the chemo or the Neulasta.

I have not experienced any neuropathy or tingling in the hands or feet but what I have is a heaviness in my legs and feelings of numbness up and down them.  It's not horrible, just weird. 

I ordered the comfy grip and a neat turban which can be a swim cap and post-shower cap.  I am a swimmer and tho I'd love to be able to swim bald, I don't want to be a spectacle. 

Much as I DON'T want to lose my hair I find myself getting anxious about it and now just want it over with.  The fear of the unknown is the worst and once you can cross a bridge and get it behind you, your stress level about it can drop. 

Hugs to all - Trina

• PAlady
    edited January 2008

guggerty - I have my 2nd one on the 25th also. Where do you go for your Neulasta shot? I don't get mine till Monday since the chemo day is Friday and the cancer center isn't open on Saturday. It would be interesting to know if your SE's are from the chemo or shot.

I started fine with the whole hair thing and just started getting anxious about it this week - it's just the feeling of impending doom. I keep telling myself once it happens it will be ok. I guess the same thing happened with the chemo. I actually couldn't wait to get it going, to be getting it over with, and then two days before, the anxiousness started.

wrsmith - I just read your blog - it is good reading. Unfortunately, I can definitely relate to a lot of that! I am 42 so we are close in age. Weird I had a passing out, lying on the bathroom floor episode,too. Mine didn't happen till Sunday night about 11:30pm. Thankfully I didn't fall, though - hope you are healed from that. Did they give you a Neulasta shot on Saturday or Monday after your treatment? or do they wait till a week later when you go for your bloodwork? I felt like cr@p on Monday, too which I think was one of my worst days.

• emeraldcoast
    emeraldcoast Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2008

Hello Sisters

For my 51st birthday I rec a lumpectomy.  The horror of this dreadfull disease cannot be realized until your diagnosed.  My sisters daughter was diagnosed at 24 and died 2 months shy of her 27th birthday.  That was six years ago. (the younger you are the more aggressive)   My entire family is cancer educated and proud participants of the American Cancer Society.  My sisters other daughter is the regional director of Northern MI and devotes many countless hours to the Race for the Cure and other activities for the ACS.  We are in this together and must share our experiences with others.  I found my lump and went for the annual.  After a mamogram and ultrasound I was sat in a chair and told to wait for the results. (wiggling not allowed)  As the Dr. sat me on a stool I could feel the hair on the back of my neck raise, then she dropped the bomb! No if's an's or but's, not even needing a biopsy.  This is the closest I came to passing out.  I had to be escorted to my car and wait for them to come out with the arrangements so not to upset everyone in the waiting room. (smart move) Then the drive home over Pensacola Bay Bridge. (that was fun)  The same day I went to a surgeon(escorted) had an unsuccessful needle aspiration (whew baby that was uncomfortable), and within 2 days was in surgery.  That was my birthday 11-15-2007.  The sentinel lymphnode biopsy followed 12-8 and thanks to Sweet Jesus this part was clear. The holidays were emotional and meaningfull.  I am a grandmother to 4 gorgeous grandaughters who waited on the old Granny hand and foot.  (They live in MI and I live in FL so treasured time well spent).  I started the chemo cocktail 1-9-08, I took this as an omen to start the new year with a new lease.  The day of was OK so I thought this is a breeeeze.  The next day OK also, got the nice Neulasta shot, some lunch and went home.  Oh boy the Mack Trucks rolled in and over my body starting that night.  Nausea, no vomiting, chills, sweats, Head Aches (felt like someone was carrying me around by the top of  my head and also beating some drums into my temples) dizziness, bodyaches like none other, constipation of course,  insomnia, urinating constantly, depressed missing my kids. (Do you want some cheese with your WHINE) This went on for 3-4 days.  But you know what? You can change your thoughts in an instant. Put yourself in a place in your mind, find inner peace through prayer and meditation.  I am a believer in "The Secret" (google it) and I know I had so many Angels and people praying for me it lifted me up and I found peace.  I am thankful I found my lump, I am thankfull I have clean margins, I am thankfull it is treatable, I am thankfull I have so many sisters in this fight.  That includes all of YOU.  I will pray for all of us to overcome this dreaded disease and to be  better human beings for having fought, and WON, the fight.  Cool   Get involved in the ACS share your story, help someone else by educating them about self exams and yearly mamos.  I am going to get gene tested to see if I can help my daughters and extended family.  God Bless.

DX 11-12-07, 3.5cm, Stage 2, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+PR+,HER2-

• wrsmith2x
    edited January 2008

WOW have I had the last two days from you know where!  I got my 1st round of TC on Friday the 4th and the doctor told me to come back on the 14th for blood work.  He says that the blood counts are at their lowest 10 days after the chemo.  So I went on Monday and they told me that my red cell counts were excellent but the white cell counts were borderline low.  So they gave me a shot, told me to come back for another on Tuesday and I went on to work.  By 4AM the next morning, Tuesday, my back was hurting so bad that it took my breath away.  I went to the doctor and had another shot and then came back home and waited for her to call me in something for pain. The bone pain radiated from my lower back into my hips and up my spine into my neck.  I hurt so bad that it finally took 2 Darvocets for me to get any relief.   Am still in the bed today but hope that I will be able to go back to work tomorrow. 

As for the hair tingley thing - the only thing I have had is an itchy scalp.  But then I feel itchy all over so what does it mean?  I am waiting on the hair falling out and have a wig already.  Once it starts falling out I will probably shave it also.

PALady - I go for next round on the 25th.  Hang in there sister friend!  We will survive this.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,546
    edited January 2008

That WILL be my plan if I am randomized to get chemo through the Tailorx trial. 

My oncologist friend asked why I'm not getting the Doxorubicin??  I don't know.  We just met with the oncologist yesterday to go over the Oncotype results.  I scored a 16.

I remember she said something about these two drugs being less caustic to the veins and having a lower risk of heart problems.  The Clinical Trial nurse said I wouldn't need a port because I shouldn't experience the problems that the other drugs can cause.

I should hear tomorrow the results of the randomization.

Sunshine

• Jackie19
    Jackie19 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2008

Thanks Trina for the welcome. Already this website has had a very positive effect on my frame of mind. Thanks BCF and support community.

Since I first logged on there hasn't been much change with my s/e, still the rotten skin irritation, mostly around my neck and back area.  Today was a rather grand day, I finally returned to my office for a visit since 11/9/07.  I enjoyed it so much I plan on returning to work, at least part time next week.  I also got fitted for a couple of bras to provide support and give me a more presentable appearance.  I had reconstruction done but my Plastic Surgeon doesn't want to do any sysmetrical balance until I have completed the CTherapy.  Which is ok it is winter and big soft sweaters I don't mind.  My wig touchup turned out good, but it really is just the waiting that is driving me nuts.  I really wonder what I will do or react like once it does happen, maybe by the weekend I'll know.  Yesterday was a little different I was crazy sick for about 1 1/2 hours, I wonder if that had anything to do with the supper we had the night before, take out from a Favorite Mexican Restaurant!!  Another crazy thing is I know I have this whole process going on inside of me but I just want to feel like ole normal me again, so I eat the things I have always liked, especially Snicker Bars, but keep in the back of my mind that I have to balance the good nutriton also, like lotz of water, veggies and fruits.  I even went shopping today after my office visit, mainly windows but at least it was a since of normalicy.  One of the hardest things is having to miss my youngest daughter's sport activities, she had a game last night and we went I cheered my heart out but this weekend the games are out of town and I will be in my 10-14 days after CTherapy, white cell counts go low and I have opted to stay put, my husband will be going with some frens, but it hurts like heck that I won't be there rooting her on.  But hey just think I will have the whole house to myself, better stock up on those snicker bars.  Till later, God Bless you all~Jackie

• WellWater
    edited January 2008

PAlady:  I get my Neulasta shot at the hospital chemo dept because my insurance pays more of it given there than at the onc's office where I get my chemo.  Go figure.  If my bad reactions happen again the day I get my shot (which is one day after chemo) then I will assume it's at least a big part of the s/e's.

I'm trying to figure out blood work here....help me out.  I had my 1st tx on the 7th - I already had an appt with the onc booked for the 15th and the chemo nurse said I would get my blood work done and next chemo tx booked on that day.  Ok.  I go to onc on the 15th and he says "you don't get blood work until the day of the chemo tx because if it isn't right on that day then no chemo".  He said no sense doing it before because it can change between the time it's done and the day of chemo tx. 

Sunshine:  Have you thought what you will do re randomization?  I was a number 15 and decided that I would do whatever came up - it was chemo and I'm glad to get the chemo.  This way if this comes back it won't be because I didn't do everything possible to prevent recurrence.

Jackie:  Yesterday I met a woman who has had a form of brain cancer twice - tx was surgery and radiation....when the head is radiated, the hair NEVER grows back......we all get ours back within a year - puts things into a difference perspective, at least for me.  How can I complain when there are those who will be bald for life?  I know sad it is to miss your daughter's game.....but you're making the right choice, we must be careful in crowds.  Have you thought about wearing a mask when you are around a lot of people?  It may look dumb but at least you can be with the family.

Melinda:  How'd that 3rd tx go?

Have a wonderful day sisters.....Love trina

• DianeB
    DianeB Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2008

Melinda:

Congrats on getting through three treatments. I am doing my second tomorrow (18th). Do you feel that the treatments are accumulative? How were the se from the third theatment? They will be putting me in the hospital two nights after my treatment since my first one caused seizures. Praying for no more side effects. I'm from Woodinville and am having my treatments done at Evergreen. Where are you having yours done?

• wrsmith2x
    edited January 2008

Metallic taste has finally caught up to me.  And bones still ache but it is much less than before.  Enough for me to go to work today.  I am like most of you - just waiting on the hair to start falling out.

EmeraldCoast:  Are you in NC? 

PALady:  Is today considered Day 13 or Day 14 for us?

• loopyloulee
    loopyloulee Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2008

Hi everyone!  Well, next thursday will be my 4th and last TC!!!  Yahoo!!!!  My hair started to come out on day 14, and then by day 17, it hurt so bad, I took a shower and literally pulled most of it out!  Then my husband buzzed the rest, and I shaved it as smooth as possible.  The constipation has been unbearable at times.  I have had a little nausea, right after treatment, and need to take compezine regularly for at least 4 days.  I have worked 2 jobs throughout.  I have been a little tired now and then, but wanted to be as normal as possible.

I guess all doctors do things differently.  I get my blood tested once a week, the doctors office will call me if the white cell count drops and I go in for a shot.  I do not get it automically.  I did not need it after this 3rd transmission.  Maybe that means my body is getting used to the whole thing.  Who knows?  Anyway, I am so glad to have the end nearing, and can't wait to get hair and feel normal again!  Good luck to all of you!

Lou