Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gray hair after chemo

Options

Comments

• Harley44
    Harley44 Member Posts: 2,126
    edited February 2008
    Options

Michele,

I hope my hair lightens up some... maybe over the summer, since my hair was always lighter in the summer... 

Thanks!

Harley

• shrink
    shrink Member Posts: 131
    edited February 2008
    Options

I have a crew cut right now, white in the front and pencil gray in the back.  So far, I kind of like it.  In another inch I'll have a real do.

• Angelflight
    Angelflight Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2008
    Options

You know most people think their hair is coming in grey.  Usually the hair has no pigment in it when it starts back in and that's what makes it look grey.  Wait a couple of months and get a good bottle of hair dye, but in the meantime it will start to change back to the normal color; other than the places where you were grey to begin with.

Angel

• gracejon
    gracejon Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2008
    Options

I finished chemo 3 years ago.  I was dark blond and the front part of my hair came in gray but the back half black.  I started dyeing as soon as I had enough to dye with root touch up color.  My hair originally came back curly but is straight again with more body than the original it replaced.  I am actually thinking about dyeing it gray but it would be just as difficult to keep up with that since the back part of my head the color is so dark.

• sabrinayb
    sabrinayb Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi Joanne,

I finished chemo at the beginning of December, and not only is my hair taking forever to grow back, but it's a white/grey mix.  I had shoulder length blond hair before, so this is not a good look for me.  I didn't really mind losing my hair -- but I'm not happy with it coming back!  Does that make any sense?? 

• licorice2006
    licorice2006 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Options

My hair was auburn and straight. it it now about 1" long, mostly white and curly, curly, curly. I get more compliments about my face being framed in white. I was very upset and my husband said "Um hon, you've been  coloring your hair for 20 years, could this be your color?" Hmmmm

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383
    edited February 2008
    Options

What a surprise when mine came back white. As it grew, it came out dark brown. I am almost 6 months post chemo, so last week I used Natural Instincts hair color to dye mine. It has no harsh chemicals, but the color wasn't very vibrant. I use to use a medium brown with red highlights. What a difference to see my face surrounded with color...

Linda

• margo935
    margo935 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Options

i have got a wonderfull colour on my hair and it makes me feel better it gives you a bit more confidence, to pick up on life keep going you get there and all the new hair dos you try on the wayas your hair grows is an eyeopener

margo935

• baranne
    baranne Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Options

Yes I am gray as well after chemo

• sparker38
    sparker38 Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2008
    Options

Yeah, 38 years old here.  I started getting gray in my 20's.  And now the only hair that i am noticing coming in is the grays.  Even on my chinny chin chin.  I have been plucking them out.  I used to like my grey streek.  People used to ask me if I frosted my hair.  It reminded me of my idol Maya Angelou and my mom.  I have it in the same spot as them.  But now I think instead of the spot it will be all over.  But I will deal with it when it comes.

sparker

• carolmoore291169
    carolmoore291169 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2008
    Options

HI GOT A QUICK TIP FOR YOUR GREY HAIR TRY COLOUR MOUSSE WORKED A TREAT FOR ME

• tkfan
    tkfan Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2008
    Options

Good evening everyone.  Thought I'd reopen this conversation since I am now 13 weeks post chemo and plan to add some color to my hair tomorrow morning.  It is coming in as all shades of gray with some white and brown here and there.  I am really just wanting to get rid of the gray sideburns that peek out in front of my red wig's hairline.  I'll probably be wearing my wig for 2 more months.  I am now 53, but my hair was straight a reddish auburn color until I was about 50.  Then the color started dulling and a noticeable number of gray hairs were sprouting so I started coloring it regularly.  So now that you all have had plenty of time to experiment with coloring, my question is what product works the best on the new baby soft hair that is only about 1/2 inch long?  I was planning to look for a botanical product, but have no idea what selection our local Walmart will have.  Mousse?  Glaze?  Too soon?  Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

• wendyk13
    wendyk13 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2008
    Options

Hi tkfan....I went back to using my usual Nice N Easy 116A.  But I did find that on my baby hair, that shade was too dark!  So I went up a shade and that worked fine.  Do they still make Loving Care?  That washed out in 6 shampoos and you could experiment with color that way.  Garnier make a botanical one....

Good Luck!  Isn't it nice to complain about our hair again!

• KCurtis
    KCurtis Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2008
    Options

Good Morning... I finished chemo/radiation in May '05.  While my hair has re-grown, it is now baby fine & extremely thin... w/ scalp still showing, esp on the top of my head.  My eye lashes are fine too, & I'm still waiting for the rest of my eyebrows to fill in.  Acquaintances who have endured cancer treatments since mine now have full heads of hair!  What am I missing??

Surgeon, oncologist, dermatologist have not been able to offer explanations or remedies.  As for color, I use a very gentle wash-in product, lasting about a week.

• Harley44
    edited April 2008
    Options

I finally went for color at the beginning of March, and I am glad I did.  I was so SICK of that white hair!!!

Now, though, it is time for a touch up!  I hate the constant maintenance!!

Harley

• Kfalls
    Kfalls Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2008
    Options

Just a humorous thought - I am solid grey now (dye it brown) so maybe mine will come back in brown after I lost it. Doubt it , but it is worth wishing for.

• Kfalls
    Kfalls Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2008
    Options

Just a humorous thought - I am solid grey now (dye it brown) so maybe mine will come back in brown after I lose it. Doubt it , but it is worth wishing for.

• Harley44
    edited April 2008
    Options

Kfalls-

I don't think so... my hair was starting to show alot of white in between the brown, so I started coloring it, before bc...  after chemo, it was TOTALLY WHITE!!  Oh, it was HORRIBLE!  I didn't even recognize the person in the mirror!

Good Luck!

Harley

• tkfan
    tkfan Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2008
    Options
    A lot has happened since I last logged in, but as far as the hair coloring I first tried a semi-permanent hair color that was peroxide and ammonia free (Color Brilliance purchased at a Sally's Beauty Supply Store) - that product did absolutely nothing; I even repeated it a couple days later, but nothing again.  Then I tried Clairol Nice'n Easy in 116A in Natural Light Golden Brown.  It worked perfectly.  I was not trying to match my red wig, I just wanted to cover the gray sides.  I think I would be very happy with this color whenever I am ready to go without a wig and the product did not irritate my scalp or seem to harm my hair.
  • WildRose
    WildRose Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2008
    Options

My onc nurse said it could come in any color (within your genetic makeup, I'm sure) and could be curly or straight. She didn't see my butt-length brunette hair, but she said to have hope because just because it was gray (I have been coloring it for years) it might come in a different color. We have blondes, brunette (with red highlights, like mine was) and pitch black in the family. We only don't have red.

I'll be done with chemo at the end of June, so we shall see how it grows back. I start Taxol on Tuesday which might wipe out the remaining patches of "buzz cut" I have left, and maybe eyebrows.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of being bald. 

• plew
    plew Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2008
    Options

Star - When my hair fell out I got a wig but it didn't feel right.  I bought some soft headbands and glued some bangs (cut from the wig) to the headbands and then ironed a piece of iron on patching on top of the bangs.  I wore these bands with turbans.  A lot of people just thought I was being stylish and didn't know that I had no hair.  My "bangs" have lasted 10 months - just don't comb them too hard.

• plew
    edited May 2008
    Options

Star - When my hair fell out I got a wig but it didn't feel right.  I bought some soft headbands and glued some bangs (cut from the wig) to the headbands and then ironed a piece of iron on patching on top of the bangs.  I wore these bands with turbans.  A lot of people just thought I was being stylish and didn't know that I had no hair.  My "bangs" have lasted 10 months - just don't comb them too hard.

• plew
    edited May 2008
    Options

• kimbly
    kimbly Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2008
    Options

I am just about 8 weeks post chemo and I am wishing my hair would come back in as fast as my foob did ( those weekly fills brought me back to size in no time LOL).  My hair is coming in but  seems that the top is where it is still thin.  I do have alot of white or colorless hair and then some very dark brown.  I had gray before, at the sides and in my part mostly.  I will color my hair as soon as I know that it won't stain my scalp.  Reading all this I will go with a wash out color or glaze. It is wierd to look in the mirror at myself.  The white is coming in curly and the dark straight..whats up with that LOL 

I did notice this week that the hair on my  legs is coming back now and I am back to shaving every other day so I guess it is growing right!  LOL

• NAZSusan
    NAZSusan Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2009
    Options

This hair thing is crazy! I had my last chemo treatment in early June -- almost four months ago -- and my hair has grown back in ever so s-l-o-w-l-y. It's thick (thank goodness! like it was before chemo), about a half inch long, and it's gray and white (which it wasn't before chemo). It was straight when it started growing back in, but now it's starting to turn curly; I have little curly tips over the top of my ears and across the back of my head, and the front and top are starting to look a little wavy.

I used to have ash blonde straight-as-string hair. Not anymore. 

• nancypat
    nancypat Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2009
    Options

I am 55 and my hair has been going gray since high school.  I was blonde until I was twelve and then it became darker.  My natural color was mostly a silvery gray and nearly black.  Mine did the skunky thing as it came in and I hated it but loved the white the gray had turned.  I bleached mine the lightest golden blonde and I love it.  It has grown so much since my avatar pic and curling all over my head.  I use serum to keep it soft and don't overdry it as that can do serious damage. 

I was out the other day and a lady told me it was beautiful.  It made me so happy!  The amazing thing is my bald spots from my thyroid disorder have disappeared!  At least there was one positive thing from this ordeal.Laughing

• NAZSusan
    NAZSusan Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    Options

It has now been five months since the end of chemo. I have turned into A) my grandmother and/or B) my poodle-schnauzer dog! My hair is gray and white all over, with curls everywhere. Gone is the ash blonde color; gone is the straight-as-string texture. I've turned into my childhood perception of an old lady, and that is not where I'd planned to be at age 57. I'm still hopeful that some color besides gray will start showing up as it continues to grow.

• MaineCoonKitty
    MaineCoonKitty Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2009
    Options

I'm starting the 5th of my six 3 weeks cycles of Taxotere and Gemzar.  My hair never completely fell out - just thinned to about 1/4 of it's normal volume, so I buzzed it off.  It's now starting to come back in and it's completely colorless so far.  I have about an inch of colorless fuzz, so I look like a baby chick!    My eyebrows also fell out and are now coming back too.

But it's hair and it's comforting to know that it will return.  I've had my hair weaved for years to a medium blonde with lighter highlights, so not having the maintenance for these months has been nice,  But I'm glad to see that something is sprouting up there again.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited November 2009
    Options

I have 3 more treatments of Taxol to go and my hair looks like a buzz cut now, but it's coming in dark brown or black............... Everyone said it would be gray, but I don't see gray yet - wonder if it's hiding in there.  I will say that before chemo I had brown hair with natural red highlights, no gray, not sure if that is the difference or the gray will show up later.

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2009
    Options

A long term hair status report that I hope encourages you all.

It is now two years and 9 months since the end of chemo (1 year 9 months from the end of herceptin).  What started to grow in as gray, poodle curly hair  (and very slowly because of the herceptin), has relaxed back back to the natural curl that I had before chemo and is growing so fast that I need a trim every 3 - 4 weeks.  The gray has also turned back into my brown hair and, at 59, I now have even less gray hair than before chemo.  I used to have more gray around the hairline and some salt and pepper throughout my head.  I now am basically solid brown with just some white hairs at my front hairline (not visible unless I push my hair back).

I also had an area at my front right hairline that didn't grow back in and my top was thin. The top of my hair is now growing additional hair (brown) and the spot on front hairline is also growing.  The hairline area was a gray patch but I can see the hair color changing to brown as it grows.