Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Port Removal - What's it like?

Options
124»

Comments

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214
    Options

Peggily,

I had my port removed on 4/19... it was honestly a total breeze! I know this sounds crazy but I was awake during the removal and my surgeon told me bad jokes thru the process. Sounds crazy I know but I honestly didn't feel a thing! I got dressed, went home and my hubby gave me an ice pack (just in case) and we drive 2 hours to our lake house.

My friend had her last herceptin treatment and just scheduled a revision for her implants and is having the port removed then. I'm thinking your onc may want to do a scan before he/she gives you the thumbs up to remove it. If you've already had that done then be as proactive as you can. Will be praying for you

Cyber hugs,

Michelle

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

You're not alone--many people are awake for removal. I was, as were many in my BCO cohort. It was more the rule than the exception.

• Peggily
    Peggily Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you for the prayers Michelle! Do you know if they gave you Versid or anything? That's what they gave me when they put the port in and I went right to sleep. Glad your port removal was a piece of cake! Can't wait to be done!

• Insideout2
    Insideout2 Member Posts: 108
    Options

Wanted to post for other who may have their port removed in 2019. I am scheduled for removal on 11/12/19. I am nervous and excited. I was told local would be used.

Will keep everyone posted.

Insideout2

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

Insideout2: Good luck on Tuesday. Hope it's quick and painless. I'm having mine out 12/4. I've not had any problems and didn't might keeping it longer but the MO said we could take it out. I had a clot in it in June. I think I'll have twilight sleep.

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    Options

I had twilight sleep and I'm really glad I did. It was too creepy to be awake and I didn't want to take the chance of having any pain.

• Insideout2
    Insideout2 Member Posts: 108
    Options

I wanted to check in. I had my port removed today. They did have difficulty starting my IV. A doctor had to find my vein. I had light sedation and was out. I did have a picture of the port taken. I feel sore at the port location, but more than the other surgeries. I happy this part is over.

Insideout2

• MR17
    MR17 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Was going to have my port out right away (oncologist said I could) but after talking with the chemo nurses (who really know what goes on) decided to leave in for 2 years since it doesn't give me any trouble, and aside from this, I'm in excellent health. Post mastectomy, ILC, stage IIIC, 10/16 nodes Dx 2/13/19. I am encouraged to see when some of you logged in for the first time and seeing your recent posts! Blessings to all