Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

rowing machine suggestions-anyone?

Options
caaclark
caaclark Member Posts: 19
edited September 2017 in Working on Your Fitness

Hi All,

I have been running on the treadmill and also outside in addition to using the elliptical.  Since beginning Femara I have noticed that my knees are becoming stiff so I am thinking about getting a rowing machine.  Lower impact and may even help tone arms.  Does anyone have any suggestions on which type to buy or which ones to stay away from?

Comments

• Jen44
    Jen44 Member Posts: 194
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hey Carol,

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on the rowing machine, but I do suggest you wear your sleeves while doing the machine.  The reason I say this is a friend of mine got LD from the repetition of raking leaves.  I don't think I would let that stop me from using a rowing machine I just would wear my sleeves as a precaution.  I try to wear mine now anytime I know that I have a lot of repetition with my arms.  Just a suggestion.

Keep laughing,

Jenny

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited July 2008
    Options

Rowing machines are excellent for aerobic exercise and burning calories cause your using more muscle mass.  I dont know the risks involved with lymphedema, but I do know they use rowing machines in cardiac rehab all the time.  Good luck.

Nicki

• OneBadBoob
    OneBadBoob Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2008
    Options

We have a Precor 612--omg--IT IS OLDER THAN METHUSALA!!

I cannot remember how many years ago we bought it, but it is still in excellent condition now--hubby and I use it every day and have never had a problem.

I am sure Precor has many new models since then, but our machine has certainly held up above and beyond the call of duty!!  So, a big boost for any Precor machine!

Edited to say LE therapist suggested wearing a sleeve when using a rowing machine or elipitial trainer--just an added precaution.

• ashaby
    ashaby Member Posts: 200
    edited August 2008
    Options

Hi Carol,

I am a rower and a coach. I like concept 2 machines and I never had any problems. I have a touch of lymphedema under my arm.

Basha 

• mginger
    mginger Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2008
    Options

I've got a Concept 2 as well.  Very good machine.

• stillrusty
    stillrusty Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2008
    Options

I love my Concept 2 but I haven't used it yet since my mast. 7/9. I would recommend this machine. Right now I've been just using the elliptical or recumbant bike at the gym- but I would like to go back to using my rower since I have that at home.

• Gran
    Gran Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi!  The Concept 2 rowing machine is the only one I would consider buying.  I own one and rowed on one when I was competing in crew in college.  They are a high quality machine made in Morrisville, Vermont. They have all sorts of fun challenges and incentives for people who buy their machines.  It is like joining a family of rowers across the country.  Very cool!

Gran 

• beborahbell
    beborahbell Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    Options

I have almost all rowers starting from Concept 2 Model D to Sunny Health and fitness rowers. And, I think that Concept 2 and water rowers are the best among all options. It does cost you some money to get these machines initially, however they prove to be quite useful in the long run and deliver value.