Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Scalp pain from Arimidex?

Options
2»

Comments

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited November 2012
    Options

I have been on Letrozole for 8 months and have been experiencing scalp pain also....

top of my head nd the sides.

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2017
    Options

thank you for starting this thread. I was getting worried! I am on Arimidex now for 4 years, the scalp pain top my head is worrisome. It is exactly as you say, like pulling on your hair, the tightness/pressure, dull ache. Not always there but there enough to notice. I am so relieved to know it's most likely the medicine. But how do we relieve it? Would Effexor work?

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2017
    Options

Has anyone found a definitive answer?

• squirrellmoore
    squirrellmoore Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2020
    Options

hello all i just started taking arimidex a week ago feeling soarness on top of my head its worse is mid afternoon will this go away

• Mcolestork
    Mcolestork Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2020
    Options

I have noticed increased scalp tenderness, and like you, it feels the same as when I was first losing my hair during chemo. I have been on Arimidex for 7 months now.

• charityr
    charityr Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi,

I have been on Arimidex since Feb and for the last two weeks my scalp has been hurting. I had a scan done thinking that something was wrong after i hit my head on a cabinet, but all was fine. I continue to get scalp pain and also at night mostly. The pain is a 5 or 6 in severity at times. I finally suspected it might be the Arimidex and googled Anastrozole and scalp pain and i saw the conversation above dating to 2009.

I then realized that i take my pill at dinner time. Perhaps when the pill starts to take effect within an hour or two it causes the scalp pain. Possible. That is why it hurts mostly at night. The sore scalp is always there, but more severe at nigh. It does feel like someone is pulling my hair.

I have not discussed it with my encology team, but i will this week. I wonder what they will say.

It definitely should be included as a side effect.

• weninwi
    weninwi Member Posts: 748
    edited May 2023
    Options

I was on Letrozole and Verzenio - had scalp pain at the crown (the top of my head) and intense itching especially at night. Drove me crazy. My dermatologist prescribed Mometasone Furate Topical Solution 0.1%. I would dab it around the affected area and then rub it in (didn't need much) - maybe 2-3 times/week at night. It helped - I'm glad I had it to use. I also had thinning and texture changes (my hair got baby fine and kinky), again mostly at the crown. I've been off both drugs for a while and all the symptoms have resolved.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,003
    Options

Thank you @weninwi for your response. Great advice. We're so sorry @charityr you're having this experience! Glad you found our community though! Keep us posted to let us know what helps, or doesn't.

• nikko1963
    nikko1963 Member Posts: 7
    Options

I have not taken Arimidex. I had chemo a year ago and finished Herceptin in November. But, I have the same issue. My scalp gets sore like before my hair fell out. Its really bizarre. I also get a buggy sensation when Im really tired.

• charityr
    Options

Thank you for that. Comments on this forum going back to 2014 discuss scalp pain. I am surprised it is not more prevalent. I get it only at night and within two or three hours after taking Arimidex. Waiting to hear from my oncologist.

• charityr
    Options

Thanks weninwi for the recommendation of the mometasome solution. I will ask my oncologist. Just love this forum. :)