Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Side Effects of Mammosite Radiation Therapy

Options

Comments

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    edited December 2012
    Options

right after surgery I noticed it.  My surgeon commented on it.  I was putting oil on it everyday.....that was the end of may (surgery) - by August it was peeling......  I was pretty good about staying out of the sun too.

• Sonnie
    Sonnie Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2012
    Options

After two weeks, my redness is fading in most areas, and the faded areas are starting to peel. I keep using the Ulta Lite and may add some vitamin E. This delayed response came as such a surprise. Hopefully, it is about over.

• jigadake
    jigadake Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Options

Sonnie, the same thing happened to me.  Mine was about 3 weeks after the mammosite radiation was over.  It got very red and itchy.  The radiation oncologist gave me a cream that I used for about 2 weeks and it disappeared.  After going back and reading this whole thread about the hard areas forming I have done that as well.  It started small and it is now the size of the area of the lumpectomy cavity.  The Dr. said it was normal and that it would continue for about 18 months after finishing treatment and then it would get a bit smaller and that could remain for the rest of my life.  She said I had signed a paper at the beginning saying I understood this would happen...but to be honest at the time they had just sprung a second surgery on me and I don't remember it at all!  It doesn't hurt unless I should hit it or lay on it.

• Sonnie
    edited December 2012
    Options

Jigadake, Thanks for your reply with the warning of what to expect next. I am not looking forward to more side effects. My nurse navigator says she will make an appointment with a breast message therapist in a few months. I don't know if that is to help with what you described, or to help even out the shape. Have you used message?

I remember signing a lot of papers, too. I don't remember reading any of them because I needed to get the procedure done and knew they would not do it without the signatures. My reason for going the Mammosite route was to minimize the amout of radiation I received, and to do it as quickly as possible.

The breast hardness is not just a Mammosite effect. A friend who had whole breast radiation now has a tiny hard breast. There is no easy road for cancer treatment yet, but I pray that soon research will find a better way of dealing with it.

• WMURPHY
    WMURPHY Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    Options

I received Mammosite radiation in 2006.  Recently I have developed a rash in a perfect half circle right where the balloon would have been.  My dr said it could still be a reaction 6 1/2 years later??  He gave me a cream that clears it up but it keeps coming back.  Anyone else hear of this?

• Shayne
    edited December 2012
    Options

Never heard of that.  If I were you, Id get a 2nd opinion from a dermatologist

• BosomBuddyJudyinFortMyersFL
    BosomBuddyJudyinFortMyersFL Member Posts: 90
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hello Everyone:

Been reading all your recent blogs.  First of all, everything all of you are experiencing is quite normal with mammosite based on thorough research from my own personal experiences and asking many questions.  I am a six+ years survivor and this year I developed my third cyst after draining one years ago, seeking constant doctor consults, etc.  My doctor told me the new cyst was scar tissue as scar tissue can develop after so many years.  As far as the redness and hardness, that is all normal from mammosite.  I never heard of a breast massage therapist.   Why don't you just massage yourself.  These doctors will try to hook us up with all kinds of gimmicks just so we can spend money if we believe them.   I still am a very firm believer in lifting weights to help with any breast abnormalities.  Also, I would check if you are taking any meds if they could be interfering with your system.  A rash could occur because you may be allergic to something.  Doyou wear nighties with sleeves?  Perhaps, the material is pulling under your arm.  I wear only nighties with straps so I don't get tangled and irritate my breast.  Be your own doctor.  Mammosite is not perfect.  Many of us have side effects.  We have to learn to live with them and communicate with other breast cancer survivors.  This blog is the perfect place.  Happy New Year bosom buddies!

• Sonnie
    edited December 2012
    Options

Happy New Year to you, too, Bosom Buddy! Thanks for all your insight from years of experience.

I now have a question about blood tests. My new internist did a 'new patient' blood work up with me. All my blood tests were normal except three:

White blood count is 3.3 (normal 4-11)

AST is 69 (normal 10-42)

ALT is 99 (normal 8-52)

The doctor will be retesting in two weeks. I am wondering if these results are a normal reaction to the surgery (on Oct. 17) and Mammosite (finished Nov. 6) . . . or if it is a new problem.

Has anyone had abnormal blood results following Mammosite?

• Rires07
    Rires07 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi there: I have been reading so many women's response to getting mammosite treatment for their breast cx. I had a lumpectomy w/mammosite in 2007. Stage 1; no node involvement. My hospital had only been doing it 1 yr. Of course they don't tell you that you could develop a cycst in the cavity; mine build up over a two year period & was inflamed. But unlike most people, I don't depend always on docs. I took "black salve" added some antibacterial cream & applied this for several applications over a period of 2or 3 weeks. It drained & I have had no problem w/it since. It is an holistic method, that doctors would never endorse--too bad they are so closed minded. Stay well you ladies!

• karen3231950
    karen3231950 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2013
    Options

Sonnie, I am curious to learn what your blood tests revealed.

Rires 07 - Welcome.  Your black salve treatment is amazing.  I tried using weights to dissipate the fluid as advised by Judy Cook.  I too had a lumpectomy and mammosite  radiation in 2007 but after five years in 2012 I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Grade 2 breast cancer in my other breast.  I started chemo in October 2012 and will finish in March 2013 followed by 7 weeks of radiation.  If the cancer was not in one lymphnode, I would have chosen mammosite again in a heartbeat.  I had my first mammo and u/s since my lumpectomy and they were both normal.  I did not realize that new cancer cells can grown even while you are having chemo.  Good luck to you and others on this site.

• Rires07
    Rires07 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Options

Karen: I am so sorry you have to go through this again, but glad your tests are good --- keep positive, girl! Do you have the BACA gene? I'm wondering, since you had a recurrence in your other breast. Additionally, I have never heard about cancer cells remaining in the body even during chemo??? That is crazy; sometimes doctors tell you things 'cause they could have messed up w/the chemo they gave. I refused chemo & my docs weren't happy, but it is poison---it kills everything. I did tons of research & they don't tell you that really no chemo really helps triple negative. I am doing immuno-therapy. Exercise, healthy living & eating--lots of organic, herbs, affirmations. Hang in there & you are going to be just fine. You are a strong woman as are all the women on this site. By now, Rita!

• Sonnie
    edited February 2013
    Options

Karen,

My liver enzymes levels are improving. My radiation nurse says there is no connection between the surgery and Mammosite and my liver enzymes.  Tomorrow I go in for more blood work and a liver ultrasound. Until I find out for sure that something is really wrong, I have put this in the back of my mind so I won't worry about it. My liver could have reacted to the Tylenol and pain meds I took for awhile during and after the surgery and radiation. Tylenol seems harmless, but it does take it's toll on the liver. My doctor also took me off a low dose statin I was taking.

• Shayne
    edited February 2013
    Options

Try not to worry - always plenty of time for that later :)  It could be so many things......Here's hoping for great lab results!

• HappyMommyof3
    HappyMommyof3 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    Options

I am beginning mammosite Savi radiation next week! Looking forward to getting finished and putting this behind me :) Lumpectomy this Friday. This has been an informative thread!

• Shayne
    edited February 2013
    Options

Good luck HappyMommy!  I did the savi and while i wouldnt say it was a piece of cake, it was easier than I thought it would be, almost painless......and so do-able!  Good luck with everything

• jigadake
    jigadake Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Options

Good luck on HappyMommy.  I hope your surgery goes well and the mammosite radiation gives you no problems.  Mine went well and would do it again if needed.  Be sure to let us know how you are.

• HappyMommyof3
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thank you Jigadake & Shane! Jigadake and Sonnie, I am er-/pr- also. Does not seem to be as common so I was somewhat comforted reading your posts. Unfortunately I am going back in tomorrow for re excision because margins not clear. BS is going ahead and inserting the Savi but Onco says she will not start radiation until path report clear. The good news is that it's pure DCIS. I was relieved to hear that! I will keep you posted ... thinking positive! :)

• kittypaws
    kittypaws Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Options

I don't want to scare anyone who is about to undergo Mammosite, but at the same time, I wish I had known more about it before I underwent treatment with it.  My experience with Mammosite was a nightmare, from beginning to end.  On the day of insertion, the surgeon severed a blood vessel and I bled like crazy.  The room looked like a trauma room, with blood-soaked sponges all over and even bloody shoe prints on the floor.  For awhile they thought they might have to transport me to surgery to clip off the vessel, but the bleeding finally came under control.  This was on a Wednesday.  On Friday night, as I lay down in bed, I felt a pop in my breast and when I got up I realized that the catheter bulb had ruptured.  I had to wait until the following Monday to have that catheter taken out and another one inserted.  Treatment was delayed for 2 days because of the re-insertion and scheduling the CT to determine correct positioning.  I would not recommend starting treatment mid-week, because that adds to the time you have to wear the catheter.  Altogether, I had one in for 9 days.  A few days after the cathether was removed the final time, I noticed a small red spot about 1.5 inches away from the catheter insertion site.  This small red spot on the skin began to break down and became very painful.  It continued to break down and spread outward and then, the insertion site began to do the same thing, with skin breakdown spreading outward and very painful. These areas would not heal no matter what.  After almost 3 weeks, the surgeon gave me the option of surgically removing the affected areas and I agreed to this.  Interestingly, they told me that I was 1 of 6 who had developed this problem.  Some opted for surgery, some waited it out and after more than 6 weeks began to heal.  The surgeon's and radiologist's explanation was that it was caused by Neosporin that was put on the bandage after the catheter was removed.  I DO NOT believe that.  I think it was caused by radiation.  I now have a 3-inch scar on the side of my breast that is keloid and hard, and still painful.  If I'm ever faced with this again, I would think long and hard about having Mammosite.  The only good thing I can say about it is that you only have 5 days of treatment, but in my case, the negatives outweighed the positives.  

• Shayne
    edited February 2013
    Options

Im sorry to hear about your experience.  I think the key to any procedure is finding a practioner that is skilled, and knows what they are doing.  I was lucky in that my experience was positive.  My doctor was married to the man who invented the SAVI device.  Reading your experience is a reminder that we should question, investigate and question again who are health care practioners are, what their level of experience is, and what other patients say about them.  I know its intimidating, but we all need to do it.  

Thx for sharing

• HappyMommyof3
    edited February 2013
    Options

Kittypaws, so sorry to read of your experience. My path report this time came back with clear margins (yay!!) and I begin radiation on Monday. I do feel confident with my BS as well as the onco team. I went yesterday for CT and simulation and felt very comfortable with the CT tech, physicist, nurse and radiation oncologist. The also assured me that the Savi cath and surgery site looked great. At that point we still had not received the path report so when the BS called me yesterday I was ecstatic! I am finally not "waiting" and see an end to this frightening nightmare. Thanks for all of your advice and experiences! It feels good to be smiling on the inside again :)

• Shayne
    edited February 2013
    Options

Congrats Happy Mommy!!  Good luck with the Savi experience - im sure youll do fine!!

edited February 2013
    Options

Hi Everybody:

I am so happy to see that the blog is really starting up again and I am interested in all your comments.  I am so happy to hear that the Savi is being received so favorably.  We didn't have it available six years ago.  Kittypaws, what you had to endure sounds like a horrible nightmare.  Clearly, your surgical people didn't know what to do or even if you qualifed for a mammosite.  You need to have clear margins which means enough skin between the cancer spot and where they insert the mammosite.  Important things to consider.  Ask the surgeon who plans to do the mammosite how often he or she does this type of surgery?  Does he have a team of doctors working with him and lastly, how does he feel about mammosites?  Many doctors I've spoken to do not like the procedure because of its uncertainty and others will do them just for the money.Everything you have all been going through is a normal result of what can happen with mammosite.  In time, you can learn to live with whatever you are willing to accept.  I am so thrilled to hear that HappyMommy is finally feeling better and that she trusted in her medical team. We've come a long way and many of us have been on the cutting edge of breast cancer treatment.  I am longing forward to the day when we won't need surgery for breast cancer.  Survive and Thrive!!!!!

• HappyMommyof3
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi Judy in Ft Myers! Thanks for your encouragement :) I start tomorrow and am looking ahead to being done with this and being happy! Stayed pretty positive throughout this ordeal (at least on the outside - my mind wanders to dark scary places at times) and was so encouraged to see that you did mammosite and are also ER/PR - and have had no recurrence! So glad for you! I will touch base here this week and let you all know how it goes. Thanks ladies! God bless you all <3</p>

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited February 2013
    Options

Judy, I did savi almost 3 years ago! I had a really good experience with it by the way! Will say though one needs to be mindful of how soon after to have chemo!

It seems we live close together I'min PuntaGorda Florida! By the way a bunch of us get together in Tampa several times a year if your ever interested!

edited February 2013
    Options

Hello kira1234 and everybody.

You menetioned you had Savi and I'm glad.  You also mentioned having chemo afterward.  I was surprised to hear you say that.  From your diagnosis, I didn't think chemo was necessary.  I never had chemo.  Punta Gorda is close to Fort Myers.  However, Tampa is not and I am not able to drive except for emergencies, I'll have to decline your offer.  I am always here when you want to chat.  Happy Mommy, what you are experiencing is normal.  We have no idea about the unknown until we go through it.  You will be fine because you are a strong lady and all of us are cheering you on.

• vrsecond
    vrsecond Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2013
    Options

I'm considering the mammo-site option, but after reading all these stories now I'm not so sure it is a good option, thinking I will opt for "traditional" 6 weeks 1x day tx. It appears there are issues with scarring, pain, cysts, infections, etc. Also, someone mentioned you have to stay out of the sun during, after? What is that all about? I just need some more information so I can decide which option to choose. If you've had the mammo-site would you do it again if given a choice?

Thanks all and God Bless.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited March 2013
    Options

I was offered mammosite and after doing research I declined and chose whole breast radiation.  Thankfully, I breezed through it.  Here's a link about the latest controversy regarding brachytherapy:

http://journals.lww.com/oncotimesuk/Fulltext/2012/02000/The_jury_s_still_out_on_whether_or_not.8.aspx

• Shayne
    edited March 2013
    Options

I would do it again and definitely if it were on the left side.  I didnt have any complications whatsoever.  And staying out of the sun is also recommended for traditional rads as well.  The end part of that article discusses why using radominized studies is not a great way to come to these conclusions.  Theyve been using brachy for decades in Europe.......and here for prostate cancer for quite some time with success.  

• vrsecond
    edited April 2013
    Options

Thank you for your information, I'm hoping I do as well.

• vrsecond
    edited April 2013
    Options

I went in for the mammo-site catheter placement 4/2, just a little more info for those considering it; you will need to change your dressing around the insertion point, or have someone help you do it. You will have to wear a bra 24/7, you will have this "thing" hanging off the side of your breast, a lot of padding and gauze and tape.  I start the rad treatment tomorrow 2x day for five days-that is the most appealing part of all this. I'm anxious about the meds prescribed afterwards, the side effects, etc. By the way, what is this "Savi" mentioned here? is that just a different name for mammo-site? Any info on meds after rad is finished, pls advise your experience thanks to all and God Bless.