Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Side Effects of Mammosite Radiation Therapy

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• cfbarnes
    cfbarnes Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    Options

I am 7 years out from my DCIS diagnosis and Mammosite treatment and luckily still cancer free.  I was one of the first Mammosite guinea pigs at our local hospital and my surgeon's first. The treatment was hailed as godsend for working women. Five days of treatment vs. 6 weeks.  However, the side effects that were discussed, did not include the scar tissue, ghost pain or loss of nipple arousal and color.  I am glad that I found this site and can read about others who (unfortunately) have had some of the same results. I told my surgeon, if I had known how hard and heavy my breast was going to be, I would have had breast removal and implants.  At least then I would have had a perkier uplifting result.  Kidding aside, I am now going through more testing to determine if the fat necrosis from the scarring is really fat or something else. I have my doubts, that if the cancer has returned, I would go through the Mammosite radiation therapy again.  I think I might go perky instead...

• BosomBuddyJudyinFortMyersFL
    BosomBuddyJudyinFortMyersFL Member Posts: 90
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi cfbarnes:

Congratulations!  I am eight years out from my breast cancer and a survivor thriver.  I read about your heavy breast concern.  I did not experience that and I am wondering if a lot of our ladies did.  My suggestion would be for you to lift weights and try to balance both breasts.  I have been lifting weights since my surgery because I felt a weakness in my left breast and one arm was smaller than the other.  Since l started lifting weights for my breasts, I feel more comfortable and less pain overall.  You might want to also check your bras for the most comfort you need.  Good luck.  I also had mammosite surgery.

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    edited October 2014
    Options

wonder if this has anything to do with breast size?  I guess im lucky in that i didnt have any lasting side effects.  Im 2yr survivor.

• ritaz
    ritaz Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2014
    Options

I'm almost 5 years out of having mammosite - Jan 2010 - and it feels like a "lump" in my right breast, it has no pain, no fluid build up to drain, nothing, just kind of inert...Yes, I had originally no sensation in my nipple, but, that has come back gradually - the mammosite balloon was just below the nipple...

I also had whole breast rads in my left breast 18 months later because the DCIS was so close to the chest wall and that was a heck of a lot more debilitating that the mammosite ever was.  Burns the last two days, two years of breast pain and my primary care mentioned that I may have heart issues 15 years after the rads due to the radiation bounce that always occurs.  Isn't that special? 

Given the choice, 5 days X2 a day with virtually no pain versus 6 weeks with pain for 2 years...Which one to choose?? hmmmmm

• Okiemomof4
    Okiemomof4 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2014
    Options

I am 21/2 years out from Mammosite therapy in my left breast, and I have a hard lump and pain. I have been diligent to keep up with my mammos and MRIs and have been felt up by more doctors than I care to admit. They all tell me that is is fine--just scar tissue. But it bothers me. It is a constant reminder of the fact that I had breast cancer. I don't need breast cancer awareness month for that. My BS told me he could remove the scar tissue, but I would not have a good cosmetic outcome. I was very fortunate to have a great outcome in that respect from my original lumpectomy.

• maryfrances28
    maryfrances28 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    Options

Ten years after the mammocyte treatment, new pain has occurred. The thing also feels like it is a different shape. If this has happened to anyone, I would like to know. Thank you.

• Bmartin
    Bmartin Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2019
    Options

I had Mammosite Radiation treatments in 2012. I have developed a large mass of scar tissue at the balloon site that is sometimes painful. Am looking for anyone who has had scar tissue removed after Mammosite.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2019
    Options

Bmartin - I didn’t have mammocite but my SIL did and she too has scar tissue issues and in fact she’s had to continue seeing her MO(we have the same one) for years after her treatment ended because of the scar tissue.

While I wanted the express radiation treatments like Mammocite my RO said because I had a micromet in my SN it wasn’t the best treatment plan for me so I had 33 radiation treatments.

I didn’t have any problems with the treatment and I think now I’m glad I didn’t have Mammocite. She was Stage 0 and I was Stage 1b.

Diane

• jingram4868
    jingram4868 Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2019
    Options

I had mammosite radiation therapy in 2009. I, too, have a mass where my port was, and I was told, in passing, I could have the mass removed. (Periodically I do get paining this area.) My teeth started to have numerous issues last year, fragility and discoloration. I finally asked my dentist if radiation therapy could have affected my teeth even though the therapy was in 2010. He told me radiation therapy could definitely affect my teeth and that the radiation takes quite a while to get to the mouth. I am currently in the process of restoration therapy on my mouth since my teeth have deteriorated beyond regular 'wear and tear/.