Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

I both ate and drank, but kept food intake to 600 calories and drank just water, tea etc. Typically I ate some cut up veggies in the morning, a big salad with no oil and a little steamed chicken or fish for lunch and pureed soup of cauliflower and carrots for dinner. It was not really all that difficult.

• sgreenarch
    sgreenarch Member Posts: 253

I think I can do that, thanks!

• Momine

Welcome!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

Glad none of you have experienced the heightened BP. According both to my dr and to things I've read on the Internet, increased BP and elevated heart rate (both of which I have) are side effects for up to 7% of the people on this medication - whereas only 2% have increased weight... (I have that, too, but am not sure that it's attributable to the letrozole and not the fact that I wasn't exercising enough.) I'll soon find out, as my exercise is increasing. HappyI'm hoping the increased exercise will also help my blood pressure and heart rate. I don't think there's a lot that increased exercise doesn't help with.

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234

Took my first Letrozole tablet last night together with a Benadryl. Had a good night's sleep but did experience a severe hot flash this morning. I am so in hopes that I can tolerate this drug with few side effects because according to what I read about it, it should reduce recurrence rate by 50%. I also exercised this morning upon getting up and then went for a brisk walk and broke a sweat. That exercise is so important and not always easy to do every day.

• Tammy_M43
    Tammy_M43 Member Posts: 565

Does anyone have experience of tooth implants and Femara?

My dentist has suggested an implant for a missing back tooth and explained that the bone grows around the implant when it is in place. As Femara affects bone density will the implant "take"?

The dentist said he will do some investigation but I thought someone in the brains trust here might have an answer. Thanks in anticipation of your help.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Tammy I have a tooth implant and don't have any problems with it. The bone thing is a problem if you are on a bisphosphinate.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Well, today I sent my MO a five-week update on Femara.

It really took a year for the Arimidex SEs to become so disabling, so it's taken me by surprise that after a two month drug holiday, the joint pain has returned so quickly on Femara.

The MO told me to start moving, and keep moving. She really didn't care what I did, so I strapped on my pedometer and kept walking like Forrest Gump. ("Walk, Blessings, walk!!!") I take four flights of stairs instead of the elevators at the hospital, and even when I'm home, I only sit for short periods of time.

The other SEs from Anastrozole have not yet come back to the point where they are unbearable. It's just this awful back pain.

Having made the commitment to stay on the Femara as long as physically possible, I'm trying to suck it up and keep on truckin'.

I did recently read a study (here? Sorry, brain fog...) that said that acupuncture helped ease joint and muscle pain in women taking AIs. I'm going to ask for a referral.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

BLessings, I don't know about the study, but I did acupuncture for about 2 months. It did seem to help - then my acupuncturist went out of business... I'm going to start massage again (tomorrow I hope)

• Blessings2011

Thanks, gardengumby... I did have acupuncture for chronic back pain YEARS ago... it's a covered benefit under Kaiser.

The only problem was that the acupuncturist was this very elderly East Indian physician who seemed very distracted the entire time he was treating me.

The first time, he used electrodes on the needles, and for two weeks I had the worst muscle twitches all over! He decided not to do that any more.

Then he started forgetting how many needles he put in me... so at the end of my appointment, he'd remove the needles, and tell me goodbye.... right about the time I felt another needle sticking out of my neck or my ankle. Sheesh!!! You think he'd COUNT how many he stuck in me! I just quit going.

But I heard from one of my other docs that he's no longer there, and that there is a new person who is really good. It's worth a try!

What kind of massage do you get? Does it help?

• Tammy_M43

Chrissy, thanks for the advice :-)

• flat13good
    flat13good Member Posts: 74

I had 2 teeth pulled because of Chemo treatments and I had one implant done in October and it seems to be fine. I have been taking Femara since early this year. Other side effects but tooth seems OK  Dental insurance will not pay but I'm going to try to hit my health insurance to see if they will because I could not got to the Periadontist during chemo so I had issues and they had to pull them.

• Tammy_M43

Flat13good, thanks....and good luck with the insurance claim Smile

• honeybair

This may not be the place to ask, but can anyone advise me on matters pertaining to sex and this drug. I have been on it since last Sunday night and other than a few hot flashes, have had no problems. The drug leaflet provided is scary. Is there to be no kissing or oral sex? Is intercourse using condoms the only activity that is safe? My husband is in a state of despair and I am not too happy with things myself. I have been unable to find any info on the thread I Want My Mojo Back. If I can ever get an appt with my gynecologist, maybe she can enlighten me. Is this drug dangerous for our partners, and if so, why?

• Tammy_M43

Honeybair, you made me rush to read the drug leaflet......no cautions on mine other than not to take if you become pregnant.....I am not aware of any such "precautions"....

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I've never heard anything that makes sex a scary proposition. In my case it would be, as it's been years & years, but that's an entirely different cause Winking

• Honey Bair,

I, too, rushed to read the drug facts -- and nothing there about sex, other than don't use if you are pregnant or hoping to become pregnant.

Happy to report that despite double mastectomy and a year on Letrozole -- sex of all sorts, including what you mentioned, seems JUST FINE :)

My oncologist also never mentioned any conditions, and she knows I enjoy sex... so I'm sure she would have said something if there were something to worry about.

Please post again after speaking to your onc -- to reassure the rest of us that there isn't something new that we should know.

Thanks!

Linda

• Blessings2011

Honeybair - can you share with us specifically about what scary part you read in the drug leaflet?

I am 100% ER+, but my MO wholeheartedly supports the use of topical estrogen cream to alleviate vaginal dryness and atrophy. In that SPECIFIC situation, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to have sex without a condom just because of exposing my husband to the estrogen.

You might also run into this while using some formulations of Scream Cream that is formulated with Lidocaine. Your DH may not appreciate being numb....

Otherwise, like the others have said - if you are not having any issues, ENJOY IT!

My MO actually told me that once the pain and inflammation were under control, to "Use it or lose it!"

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Oh that's what happened! It's lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Momine

Femara is not dangerous to your sex partner. Where did you get that?

• cakes
    cakes Member Posts: 89

My MO gave me a RX for Premarin and I am estrogen 90+ and pro 80+. I was told to use it 2 x per week and not have *** on those nights. No mention of condoms or any other precautions. :)

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885

I haven't hear of no sex on this drug. Things can get a bit dry, but nothing a little ky wouldn't help.

• honeybair

Momine... to answer your question, I quote directly from the information sheet provided with this drug. " For at least 48 hours after taking this drug, avoid allowing your body fluids to come into contact with your hands or other surfaces. Use condoms during sexual activity to avoid exposure to body fluids."

Most of the time, pharmacists are the most knowledgeable about drug precautions, so perhapsIi should call one of them.

Anyway, thanks for all your responses. I am encouraged.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885

But if you take it every day does this mean no sex for ever.

• Momine

Honeybair, this is on the info for femara? That is the first time I have ever heard this. Something does not sound right.

• honeybair

I was prescribed letrazole, the generic Femara. My MO insisted that they no longer make the brand Femara. My insurance would pay for the brand name which I asked her to write for me, but this drug was substituted. I receive my drugs from Express Scripts. Is Femara still manufactured? If so, wonder why my doc does not know this. If there are no precautions to take with Femara, then I need to be changed to it. The leaflet that came with my drug is scary as hell.

• Momine

Honeybair, femara is still produced, but the active ingredient is the same either way. It sounds to me as if the info sheet is some kind of generic info sheet and not specific to femara. Something is definitely wrong with the info.

Here is an online product info sheet for femara. No mention of dangerous body fluids: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a698004.html#precautions

• honeybair

Thanks, Momine. I see that there are no warnings about body fluids. I will take the leaflet to my doc whom I will see this coming Friday. Perhaps she will enlighten me.

Having a tough time sleeping tonight. Post mastectomy aches and pains. Had to move to my recliner but still not able to go back to sleep. Forgot to take my Benedryl at bedtime. That little pill really helps with sleep.

• Momine

Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea to show it to your onc. It is very messed up if the pharmacy or generic maker are giving wrong information. The warning you quoted is, as far as I remember, for hormonal creams of some kind or maybe testosterone patches, but not for femara/letrozole.

• corky60
    corky60 Member Posts: 453

Honeybair, I also get my exesmestane (Aromasin) from Express Scripts and they had exactly the same warning. I took the printout to my MO and she said to ignore it, that it was a mistake. The warning was for chemotherapy not hormonal therapy.