Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

FEMARA

Comments

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705

ummm... ALL of them when the MSN is in Nurse Practitioner course of study.

• Roaming_Star
    Roaming_Star Member Posts: 66

you both present good arguments and thanks for representing the issues. I lived for years suffering from mental health issues and not wanting to support big pharma. But then I was so depressed that nothing was helping me any more and I was very suicidal. I gave in and went to my Dr. and finally got some help. I think for me it is knowing my risk level or predisposition. Having a trusted medical ali to talk about what is going on with cancer treatments and my mental health and having a plan to work on the best qof (quality of life). All of us should be critical about big pharma and we should also be self aware about what is going on in our body/mind/soul and hopefully access to a supportive and collaborative health team.

• Mquara
    Mquara Member Posts: 56

robinohio I take my pill at night, just before dinner.

Regarding anxiety meds, many Doctors will suggest that straight away, some will hold off, it’s up to you to decide when and if that is the route you are going to take. I would agree that perhaps it’s too early but nobody know but you when the right time would be, or not. There’s no shame in it and every single drug has side effects so there’s nothing to be frightened of.

How open are your Docs to Nautropathic methods? I take various vitamins to help lessen the effects of the Femara (and Lupron for me) I do feel like they are making a difference. My naturopath works with my MO so everything I am taking they are aware of etc. Many people report great success in managing side effects with acupuncture too. I am unwilling to try thatright now as I am in a “I don’t want anybody to touch me right now” stage. Lol. I’m just done being poked and proddedand want to be left physically alone for a bit.

Are you drinking enough water? The naturopath tells me every time that hydrating is the first step in managing your body! I got a hidrate water bottle last week and it hit me on the vey first day how off I was in my water intake. Not even just water, all fluids. I was only drinking when I was eating!

((((((Hugs)))))

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181

There are studies on serotonin and increased risk of breast cancer if any of you want to do a search.

• wabals
    wabals Member Posts: 192

Hap B every state allows Nurse Practitioners to prescribe if they have received prescriptive authority from their board of nursing

• wabals

HapB of course there are pros and cons to every drug. Antidepressants used correctly can greatly increase the quality of life in depressed patients. And big Pharma has nothing to do with my belief

• Lula73

yes, NPs work under a dr’s authority & oversight. However, The way you’re making it sound is they just write the prescription for whatever medication the dr prescribed for the patient (like a medical assistant calling in a prescription under the dr’s name based on the dr’s orders). That is so not the case for most NPs. They are highly trained in patient care, are quite independent thinkers, and they recommend medications/treatments & write the prescription based on the symptoms presented and discussion with the patient. They do not go running to the dr for a quick consult and approval for every prescription for every patient. Same goes for PAs as well. In fact in many states NPs can and do own their own practices independent of the dr they work under. The patients in the practice are their patients (not the dr’s who has a completely separate practice)and more than likely will never see or speak to the dr the NP is working under unless it’s his turn to take call.

• wabals

HapB You are wrong. Look up scope of practice for NPs in Mass. I just did.

You obviously are uneducated about the education and training of NPs. Of course it is up to you who you see for your medical care, but NPs are every bit as competent as physicians in many areas.

• CA1943
    CA1943 Member Posts: 3

If anyone has recently used the generic form of Femara, could you tell me the side effects you have experienced? I have had mastectomy and just finished my 33 radiation treatments, but have refused chemo. So oncologist wants me on Femara' s generic. I AM extremely reactive to drugs in general, even a Z-pack!!!. so I am very apprehensive of even starting this drug... My age is against me also, 75; I am very petite with osteoporosis and spine degeneration among other health issues. Not an easy choice... Let me know, thanks!  

• CA1943
    CA1943 Member Posts: 3

I totally agree with you. Cost of care is HIGH enough to deserve an MD and NOT a NP when you are faced with cancer!!! IF a NP was just as educated as an MD, they would be an MD!!!!  No way would I accept to be taken care of by a NP for my cancer's treatment... Sorry! No disrespect for NPs but just common sense!

• Lula73

CA1943- im very sensitive to medications too so i feel your pain on that topic. I’m on generic Femara made by Accord Pharmaceuticals. My side effects are very few so far, they are much better than when i was briefly on tamoxifen, and quite bearable. Here’s my rundown:

-joint pain along my pointer finger, down the side of it extending into the side of my hand and into the middle thumb joint. I also have some stiffness in my left foot & ankle. Both Only happen after an extended period of non-use like overnight or when watching a movie, etc. But it does go away after I start using it again.

-hot flashes a few times during day and a few times overnight

-memory - don’t know if this is still from the tamoxifen or if it’s from the femara, but it is MUCH improved from the constant brain fog i was in on tamoxifen. Sometimes the word I want just won’t come to my mind or I know what I’m trying to say but it comes out wrong (ie I was discussing zofran for nausea and the word Zoloft came out instead).

Overall I really can’t complain considering. I may ask for Teva with my next fill and see if there’s any difference since they tend to use fewer fillers. But I feel very fortunate to have so few SEs that are also bearable

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

CA1943 FROM TACO1946 - After 7 months of arimidex (Teva generic), my MO switch me to generic Femora. Initially with arimidex, I almost always woke up with a headache but it went away quickly. By the 6th month, headaches were both more painful and much longer lasting, thus the change. So far (2 plus months), I'm happy with the switch. Some joint pain but not much more than pre-BC and I think a little less than with the arimidex but I may just be getting more exercise. I take extra strength tylenol as needed. Pre-BC, I took chondrotin and glycosomene (too lazy to go get the bottle and spell it right) and calcium with Vitamin D. I know both of them have made a positive difference in my arthritic pain. (I had carpel tunnel and trigger finger surgery in my left hand 4 years ago and was convinced I would need it in the right within a year but am still typing away without it). Fewer hot flashes than pre-BC (that should have told me something was going on) but I do find I am more impatient with the "small stuff" than I was. My mother had bad osteoporosis by the time she died at 96 but MO said I had bones "like a 30 year old" when she finally convinced me to get a scan. I have been fortunate to have a MO who really listens to me and wants to work with me to find the right AI FOR ME but she did say after I had my last Herceptin that "this little pill is your friend." In reading these threads, I do think that many of us "senior ladies" understandably have different definitions of "quality of life" than those our daughters' age. For now, I'm sticking with "my friend" but certainly understand the reasons that you might make a different choice. My advice is to try not to second guess yourself. There is not a one size that fits all.

• Shelly52
    Shelly52 Member Posts: 133

mquara - I also take a variety of vits to combat side effects and prevent recurrence. Would lve to compare notes. Can you share more abt what your naturopath advises?

• Mquara

Shelly52

Like I said before one thing she advises is to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Many minor issues happen because we don’t drink enough.

I am on Vitamin D, most people are deficient.

Calcium for bone health

Curcumin Pro anti inflammatory and immune support

EPAmax fish oil twice a day for cardiovascular and anti inflammatory

Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone for hot flashes. I am down to maybe one hot flash A WEEK! Before it was all evening long, hot, cold, hot, cold grrrr

Vitamin B6 to help with numbness and tingling..I have Chemotherapy Induced Perepheral Neuropathy :(

CoQu10 for cardiovascular support

I also take a Claritin at night. I took that with chemo etc for the neulasta side effects and I have bone, joint pain, muscle aches etc from the lupron and Femara so we figured why not lol.

The naturopath works with my MO so this is a coordinated effort, I am not on my own trying different things.

What vitamins etc have you been taking?

• Lula73

Mquara- I’m curious, did you start the curcumin pro and the HMC at the same time or one before the other? If one before the other which was first?

• wabals

Hap B Sorry but you did not even know nurse practitioners existed. In Mass they can practice independently.

Under supervision of MD where applicable is very broad. MD does not need to be on premises.

• wabals

wrong Hap B

• Mquara

Lula73 I started HMC in September when I started Femara/Lupron. I was in "Chemopause" up until I was put into Menopause with the Lupron and the hot flashes were horrid. I was put on the Curcumin at my Dec visit.

• Lula73

thanks, mquara. Sounds like the curcumin helped a lot. I drink a “shot” of a “tea” that contains turmeric every night already. I was hoping you would say the HMC was added last as I’d give it a whirl for the remaining hot flashes I have. I may still try it...

• Indigo29
    Indigo29 Member Posts: 87

Mquara - Thank you so much for sharing with us the supplements that help you. May I ask where you purchase the hesperidin methyl chalcone and what dosage do you take?

I asked my oncologist about taking Claritin for bone pain while on letrezole and she just dismissed it by saying it won’t work. Is it working for you?. I may start taking it again, ( I also took Claritin while getting chemo and it really helped then ), if my bone pain gets any worse.

• Mquara

indigo29 this is where I have been getting it. My first bottle was from CTCA where I am being treated but the Nautropath gave a list of other manufacturers that she likes and a list of manufacturers she does not like for all of these supplements. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RFEIPY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I take one pill a day. As for the Claritin, I honestly don’t know if it works but I figured why not so I started taking it and my MO and Nautropath were fine with it.

Lula73 the HMC was first but I had horrible hot flashes from the chemopause prior to even starting the lupron and Femara. I started lupron, Femara which should have made the hot flashes even worse or at the very least they’d remain but I also started the HMC and my hot flashes are nearly nonexistent so I really do think’ it helped.

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300

Ca 1943, I started generic Femera (letrozole) 11 months ago. So far it is joint and bone pain. I take calcium with vit d, magnesium (at night), vit K2, and omega 3s. I had a baseline bone density test and get labs every 3months which will go to every 6 months here soon. Hot baths and anti-inflammatories help. Good luck keep us informed.

• 2FUN
    2FUN Member Posts: 789

gkbuser, why do you take magnesium and k2?

• gkbuser
    gkbuser Member Posts: 300

Hi 2fun, magnesium for sleep and bone health and K 2 for bone and heart healh.

• 2FUN

where do you get k2? I didn't find it at our local supplement shop

• bootscootin
    bootscootin Member Posts: 26

I get my K2 at the grocery store (Kroger). Probably have it at Walmart and Target, too

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297

Walgreens has K2. I order it from them online.

• 2FUN

thanks ladies!

• Lula73

just picked up some curcumin to lessen or eliminate these hot flashes. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

• twolumps
    twolumps Member Posts: 37

Well, hi, y'all. I just completed 3 years of anastrazole in January. Due to possible side effects, my MO said we could try a 4 week holiday and see if some of them cleared up. Voila! My memory is BACK! My vocabulary is back, I'm not hot ALL THE TIME and I've lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks with relatively no change in diet or exercise. Unfortunately, my MO wants me to take Femara/letrozole now instead. She said we could do a BCI in a year or so to reevaluate whether further AI treatment would benefit me. Boy, I hope not. This holiday has been wonderful! I've read that the SE's from letrozole are basically the same as anastrazole, but as she said, everybody reacts differently. Here's hoping I get to keep my memory, metabolism and energy level.