Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex 5 years or longer

Options
124»

Comments

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi Deb...i'm er+/pr- as well and 8 1/2 years out. i had 5/15 nodes + but they were large and clumped. Knowing you had 32/42 and have done well is terrific news! I was taken off 1 1/2 years ago. diagnosed at 38, had ovaries out so i never had tamoxifen, just 5 years arimidex which was up may 2009. i am on clinical trial where i take a pill every day but don't know whether femara or sugar. they're gathering the data for extended use up to 10 years. the answer is really they don't know for sure yet so we're all in the same boat whether we stay on or go off. Michelle

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited August 2010
    Options

Good to see your name, Michelle!! Glad to hear you're doing well. I'll be interested to hear the results of the study. Thanks for helping advance science!

Anne

• rumoret
    rumoret Member Posts: 45
    edited February 2011
    Options

Well...I had my 6 month checkup and asked my Onc about Arimidex for longer than the 2 1/2 years (Tomoxifen 2 1/2 years prior). He said no.......5 years total. I was thinking he might say 5 years Arimidex.

Terry

• theres126
    theres126 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi all-

I've been following this thread with interest, since my 5 years is up in August.  In March, my onc told me that she'd be stopping me at the 5 year point, and I'm very nervous about this. I want to stay on longer, mainly for peace of mind. I haven't had many side effects (or at least I've gotten used to them) - probably the worst is vaginal dryness, and I'm okay with going on with them for a while...... I fear much more the cancer coming back!

I was stage one, which is why she said she wouldn't keep me on. She said the data only supported keeping those with more aggressive cancers on past 5 years.............

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,965
    edited July 2011
    Options

Saw the onc. today. 'Passed' my checkup....whew! He said that although the studies aren't in yet, he is willing to prescibe up to seven years if your bones are holding up and the diagnosis warrants it (being Stage 2, grade 3 would put me is his 'yes' catergory). He told me to go home and not worry about it since I have another year. But I'm relieved to have that option open.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited July 2011
    Options

when I had been on my Tamox+Armidex for the five years the onc asked me if I wanted

to take part in a clinical trial to see if staying on it would be better , I declined..that was over

five years ago now...

• Wirewidow1
    Wirewidow1 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi,

I too have estrogen positive breast cancer.

My surgeon told me in 5 years, she will have an anwser about taking it for 5 more years. If you are not able to get your Dr to keep you on Arimidex, I would suggest contacting your insurance company and it find another Dr.