Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Herceptin - Quick Side Effects Poll

Options

Comments

• stphns_m
    stphns_m Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    Options

If chemo has caused early menopause, the weight gain is probably a symptom of no oestrogen from your ovaries.  As there is oestrogen in body fat, it is the way your body compensates to get its oestrogen supply.  My oncologist has told me Aromatose is used for women post-menopause as this helps stop the fat oestrogen. I try to eat nothing with any fat content in it and exercise every day. I think we just have to find peace with having a rounder body shape as it might be almost impossible to ever be our pre-treatment shape when our endocrine systems have been changed so much. I am happy to be alive and surrounded by loved ones.

• stphns_m
    edited May 2010
    Options

You sound very courageous to me, I take strong pain pills sometimes, but they cause too much constipation, so sometimes I just suffer, but I don't work hard or have young kids to run around after.

• stphns_m
    edited May 2010
    Options

@arabrabw & angie27 I do remember having twitchy eyes, it was when I first started Herceptin nearly 1 year ago.  I had forgotten about that.  It seemed to just go away at some stage.

• ctinas
    ctinas Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2010
    Options

I had my last Herceptin today and I feel so sick. I feel like when I was on chemo, and my body ached all over like the flu.  I also hav a temp of 101.4 Should I call the DR. or nurse or just sleep and not worry about it.

Tina

• ferretmom
    ferretmom Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2010
    Options

Hi Tina

I had my first Herceptin a little over two weeks ago. I woke up that night feeling like I had the flu. Ached all over, chills and fever, and horrible headache. Lasted 3 days total, then I felt fine.

I also had Zometa infusion that same day, so don't know which drug, or both? caused the symptoms. Next week I get just Herceptin, so guess I'll find out....

Just rest as you can, drink plenty of fluids. I took Aleve and it helped a bit.

• ctinas
    ctinas Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thanks Ferretmom, sounds the same only a temp. on top of it.Even though it was my last treatment it was my first tripple dose. I usually go every 2 weeks and get a  double. Anyway, I am done, now I just need to wait for exchange surgery  which will be the begining og 2011.
  • Sandeew18
    Sandeew18 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Options

Would like some current update from those of you on Herceptin and the side effects.  Thanks!

• 73gr
    73gr Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2010
    Options

the first time my mother took Herceptin on July 2006, she had flu symptoms like fever and cough for the first 2 days, but in the next treatments she didn't had any symptoms at all for almost 4 years. Unfortunetaly she was took off due to progression on last March and now she is on Tykerb/Xeloda....

• amlg1
    amlg1 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2010
    Options

I am almost finished with herceptin,and the 4th from the last,I had a reaction with only 10 min.left.My throat and ears became so itchy,they stopped the infusion,to give me benedryl and hydrocordisone.What a bummer,I did so well throughout tx.Now I will be getting benedryl for the last three.

• CMT
    CMT Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    Options

Thanks to whoever mentioned Claritan for the muscle pain...it does help!!

• Jenna1961
    Jenna1961 Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2010
    Options

I was told that my tolerance to Herceptin can only go better with time.
    Today is day 3 after my Herceptin no.9  and I feel chemo-like side effects - some nausea, dizziness, weakness, bowel reaction ( and usual joint aches and tiredness, drippy nose).

Did anyone have a late reaction to Herceptin like this? 

Amig1, I know you had allergic reaction at the time of infusion.

Jenna

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    edited June 2010
    Options

I have had two Herceptin only treatments - already had six as part of the TCH cocktail.

So, today was #8, so only 9 (or maybe 10) more to go. So far, the only pre-med I have taken is two ES Tylenol before the drip starts. Only side effects seem to be very slight sore lower back muscles, and sore neck muscles. Taking tylenol in the morning makes them both go away.

Today, the oncology nurse asking me if I had tried Claritan for the muscle aches. I had previous asked about that, and my other nurse told me no. I am so confused. Well, I can't take it now, as I am less that 2 weeks away from BMX surgery so have to clear the body out. 

I have seen people mention the general muscle aches - but what about the neck, This seems like a weird one. I have told my Dr twice, and he doesn't seem concerned. He did offer up a neck MRI, but I declined. I mean the discomfort is not bad, barely a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. But,  I never had sore neck muscles before chemo, and now that I am 6 weeks PFC, it must be the Herceptin causing the neck muscle soreness right? 

• Jenna1961
    Jenna1961 Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2010
    Options

No muscles pain here (I had them with Taxol) - but quite a lot of sore joints. In that sense, my neck only hurts in the morning before streching.

• waialuawahine
    waialuawahine Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I am currently still doing herceptin and have had some side effects, the worst being my lowered heart function. I also have had to stop treatment one time because of high blood pressure. I was normal before i started the Herceptin. I lost 27% of my heart function and now have cardio myopathy and will possibly have to take heart medication.
  • anitakarim
    anitakarim Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    Options

Hi Everyone!  Just posting an update to my initial post.  Monday, the 28th of June, is my last herceptin infusion - YAHOO!  After re-reading my post, only a couple of things have changed in terms of side effects and they are:  1.  My nose went from runny to extremely dry with large crusts forming daily.  I found that if I applied some vaseline after cleaning it, morning and evening, the crusts stayed soft and it didn't hurt as much throughout the day and when cleaning.  2.  Just after my last treatment I noticed some hair loss, but this could be due to my hair being longer, I'm just not sure.  Will have to wait and see if it changes/stops after my last treatment.  3.  The last week, prior to my next infusion, I get sad (I wouldn't call it depression because it does not last) for a few days leading up to treatment.  It does go away though, so perhaps it is just related to the fact that I have to go in again.  Another one to wait and see what happens after my last treatment.

Thank you all for updating on this site.  I don't input much, but I read other's posts and it helps.  I probably won't input again until about six weeks post treatment (around the middle of August) just to let you know what has changed in terms of the side effects.  My heart goes out to all of you and all my positive vibes.  Take care!

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2010
    Options

I had my last herceptin treatment this week - hooray! I brought the staff flowers and they gave me hugs. It will have to be at least a month to see what effects fade away.

• stlcardsfan
    edited July 2010
    Options

Have had 9 out of 18 Herceptins so far. Achy knees anyone? It seems that they have gotten worse with the last two Herceptins.

I just had surgery as well, so slowing getting my activity level back up. Has anyone tried any over the counter supplements for joint pain like glucosamine?

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 371
    edited July 2010
    Options

Yep, achy knees here.  If I even sit for longer than about 10 minutes, they hurt really bad when I get up.  Haven't tried glucosamine.

• worldwatcher
    worldwatcher Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2010
    Options

I have been diagnosed HER2+ by FISH after an "equivocal" 2.7 score on the first lab test. I would like to know if any of you ladies were given any idea of how the Herceptin treatment would improve your survivability, if you care to share that.

I have a history of adverse reactions to quite a few drugs and have severe reflux disease which I  have had trouble in controlling. I can't take the Zantac, Pepcid H2 blockers and have been on the Prilosec, Prevacid drugs for several years and have to keep changing them because the effectiveness wears off.

I am 70, so I am concerned with QOL issues and whether possible gain in living a little longer is worth the weeks/months of SEs. I haven't had a visit with an oncologist yet, but my surgery is scheduled for July 16th. The radiologist who did my biopsy said that it's possible I could do a lumpectomy and radiation if the surgery resulted in clean margins and nodes, but that was before the HER2+ result.

So, if anyone cares to share the estimated survivability improvement of Herceptin treatment, I would appreciate your input.

• Gina_M
    Gina_M Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2010
    Options

Hi Gina,

I am 62 and was diagnosed with Her 2+ (ER/PR neg.) BC, had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation  and Herceptin for 1 year. (I am in Canada and they only give Herceptin in conjunction with chemo.)  I was told the herceptin increases survival chances by more than 30%.  I did not have any major side effects with the Herceptin and I have been getting normal results on mammograms since the lumpectomy.  I am in very good shape now and feel fine (always keeping my fingers crossed). You can always try the Herceptin and stop it if you have serious side effects.

Gina_M

• writer
    writer Member Posts: 72
    edited July 2010
    Options

stlcardsfan, so interested to hear that you have dealt with neck and back pain-- me too! I thought it was just the recurrence of my old issues, but I had beaten those in the last couple of years thanks to faithfully doing pilates. Now I'm 6 weeks post-chemo and continuing Herceptin/Avastin every three weeks. I'm not having any SE from Her/Av that I can tell, but maybe that's behind my bad sciatica, numbness on the sciatica leg, stiff lower back, and neck pain. I'm as active as ever, exercising regularly, and going to the chiropractor, but I can't get better. I wonder if Herceptin makes existing muscle/joint issues worse?

BTW I take Claritin every day during allergy season, and it's not helping, but it did help with the Neulasta aches.

• stlcardsfan
    edited July 2010
    Options

I never know what is causing the aches and pains now a days. But with the three surgeries on 6/21, not being able to sleep any way but on my back slightly propped up, the aches are there.

Lower back is sore, not it bones, just in muscles. Knees were terrible for about a week, mainly right before and after surgery as I had to stop taking all stuff pre-surgery. Even my finger joints hurt. 

I have been taking glucosamine for about 1 1/2 weeks, and it seems to be helping with the knees and other sore joints. I can get up in the morning now with minimal soreness. I also have chest pain - caused by the te's, so I am taking stuff for that too. Only 9 more herceptins to go!  

• CMT
    CMT Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2010
    Options

Worldwatcher, I too have had challenges with reflux and have tried every pill you can name (prilosec, aciphex, propulsid, etc). About 2 years ago, it became really bad and nothing was  helping so I went on the internet and did some research and came up with Apple Cider Vinegar. Now this is all I use. My doctor wasn't excited about it because she doesn't see how it helps... nor did the oncologist team...but it does!  I take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (the one with the mother on it or from Trader Joe's - not Heinz), 8 ounces of water and 2 packages of Splenda (or you can use honey etc to sweeten) every morning before I eat anything. When I first started taking it I added a half a teaspoon of baking soda until my body got used to it.   

I'm still experiencing the numbness in my fingers and toes...I was hoping this went away once chemo stopped at the end of April but seems to get worse after I get the Herceptin infusion every 3 weeks. I didn't know Herceptin impacted this.  Anyone else having this experience?

• still-kickin
    still-kickin Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2010
    Options

Dx 4-8-08 Had chemo Taxol and Carboplatin q wk X 6 months with Heceptin q 3 wks. Only side effect was to the Benadryl, leave it to me to be allergic to allergy meds. Stopped chemo 10-28-08 but continued with Herceptin q 3 wks and Aridea (bone strengthener) mets to bones in right femur and L-1 vertebrae before they found the cancer q 6 wks  and will continue those two meds forever. I do have bone and muscle pain and a runny nose, but, never put 2 and 2 together till I got on here and realized how many Stage IV survivors had same symptoms. Have to rush home right after treatment so I can sleep. No other S E. The pain in my left calf is very spasmatic at times cant stand, and can't walk far. Notice the last week or so spasms occuring in lower sides, not as sharp as calf but sharp enough to stop me in my tracks. I have bought myself a scooter so I can still go to places I love like the zoo and museums and the mall. I named it "Freedom".

• LilyLou
    LilyLou Member Posts: 56
    edited August 2010
    Options

Ended Chemo with Herceptin at end of March, 2010, and have now had 10 Herceptin treatments alone, every 3 weeks, so think I can separate the what I call "Chemo Fallout" from Herceptin side affects.  I notice being tired for a couple days after, seems like my heart does odd things with the rate off and on - what you would normally attribute to anxiety but don't think I am anxious when this happens, and have noticed nothing else that I can for sure say is from Herceptin.  I did not lose my eyebrows or eyelashes until 6 months after the first Chemo but still believe that was from the Chemo, not the Herceptin.  My fingernails started lifting off the nail beds also at about 6 months but am sure that was the Chemo as you could actually see the line of where the Chemo ended showing healthy growth down to the nail beginning.  I do have a rash of sorts on my nose and this could be the Herceptin ??

• LilyLou
    LilyLou Member Posts: 56
    edited August 2010
    Options

I always get Benadryl and think that is why I am so tired for a couple days after Herceptin infusion.  After a couple days though, I'm ok.  Do have a rash on my nose though and will be interesting to see if this goes away after I finish Herceptin. ??  Don't know what else it could be.

• Junebug40
    Junebug40 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Options

Finished 1 yr of Herceptin this month. I had  / have joint aches but manageable. Just takes me a little while to get going.  I do have the darned runny nose!! Reading these posts it is common but when mention to chemo nurses they say 'they've never heard of that side effect before'.........Really??????

• carcharm
    carcharm Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2010
    Options

My last 2 echos show that my atria are mildly enlarged. Does anyone know if this is reversible>

• Elizabeth_123
    Elizabeth_123 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi - this is my first posting !  I started Herceptin in October/09 with Taxotere and have had 15 treatments, 3 weeks apart.  The Taxotere ended in November 09 but the Herceptin continues. I have 3 more to go.  The onc has told me that he doesn't know what the severe joint pain is from (in both feet, both knees, both hands), could have been from Femara but I've been off that for 4 weeks. Another onc on the 'team' said it could be a hangover from Taxotere but I never had joint pain with Taxotere and my last Taxotere was in November 2009. None of the onc's say that it could be from Herceptin !!   Now he has ordered a bone scan to rule out bone mets.  I have many other side effects too (eye twitching, severe leg muscle cramps, soft brittle nails, thinning hair, cough with yellow phlegm, thinner hair, runny nose, but the worst is the joint pain which is debilitating at night and in the morning, I can barely get out of bed).  I am normally a very active person, walking/hiking/canoeing/skiing but it is almost impossible to get in and out of my canoe with the pain.   It is reassuring to hear than others have had the joint pain just being on Herceptin alone (it is the only drug I am on right now).  Thanks everyone for sharing, what a great site.  Susan Elizabeth

IDC. 2 cm at 11:30 o'clock on right breast, lumpectomy,  Grade 3 tumor,  0/1 nodes, ER+.PR+,HER2+, age 57 at diagnosis in April 2009. 6 FEC-D chemo treatments, 16 radiation treatments, 18 Herceptin treatments, tried Arimidex and Femara but very bad side effects.  Next is the last AI and then Tamoxifen possibly for 5 years.  I live in Cananda, north of Toronto. 

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited August 2010
    Options

Elizabeth - I sent you a PM (Private Message). Look for a pink number when you hover over the words "Private Message" at the top of your screen.