Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Hoping the wide margins on the left will disappear and that we can suppress the ads/list displayed on the right. I think we were looking for more display area for comments and don't see much improvement there. Font size is better but print is still light compared to glaring white background.

I will wait to see what the final product looks like before leaving further comments since they say this is still a work in progress. Hope is eternal.

Sunny with showers predicted for later and of course this is the day they came to do our driveway. It was supposed to be Monday but they were a no show. So they had to replace about 3/4's with a new top coat due to deep cracks and the upper part just needed resealing. They are just sealing the top now.

We had some excess pavers from our new walkway last year and from my exploration into building a fire pit area. We had 81 pieces left of various sizes. DS was able to list them on Facebook market and we have a buyer. He will come Saturday or Sunday to do a pickup. I may ask DS to list some of the unused items I have left over from my culling. I have several rugs (never used), 1 used rug in very good shape, and several other items that I would part with for a few dollars.

Have warned DH on multiple occasions that he cannot leave items laying around since she has chewed up his cheap glasses and a pair of mine as well. Well, I found his prescription glasses lying on the floor but untouched so he was reminded of her penchant for chewing. Today he leaves his checkbook on the recliner seat and she had a ball shredding the cover, the check history and the checks. He was a tad put out but maybe a lesson learned? Not sure, about this though. We have an organizer with bins for papers, mail, etc at the top of the basement steps so if he had put the checkbook there all would have been safe. We are talking about 5 steps from the recliner to the organizer.

Guest room is finally done. I finished it yesterday and started culling items that had been temporarily moved to DD's old room. I am about 3/4's of the way through them. I did some rearranging of area rugs in each room. I had bought a Persian area rug that is replacing the smaller one I had in the hallway. I moved the smaller one into the primary bedroom to replace the small one there. That small rug was then moved to the primary closet and the one that was there was moved to DD's room. Got that? Test later, LOL. So each room has had a small decorating change. Bedpread from guest room was repurposed to DS's old room since I had purchased a new one for the guest room. I need to finish dusting the other bedrooms since I vacuumed them yesterday. So the upstairs will now be clean and organized.

Hope everyone has a good day and will be glad to see everyone return to this forum. MM's was the first to post and that was how I knew it was active. Got no message from BCO until after the fact.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

Welcome back, mavericksmom and betrayal- so good to see you and the others here. And thanks for your feedback! We have a feedback form we'll be posting momentarily.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,548
    Options

Betrayal and Maverick,

Just leaving a note that I read your entries. Here's hoping when the actual MOMENT arrives we are all greatly surprised and happy. I do like the agree-like-dislike buttons. I'm sure (eternal hope) that if it remains as easy to use as our just previous I should be all right. That had some adjusting as well. Sure hope all of what we had before the change-over started does come back.

If it sounds like I'm a nervous nelly your reading this correctly. Hugs.☺️

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,804
    Options

I'm back. The like buttons are a great addition.

I have a doctor's appointment today.

• betrayal
    Options

Is anyone else getting messages from BCO forums posted to their personal email? I find that I am receiving a message everytime someone posts on one of my favorite forums. Don't want it nor like it since I would prefer to come here to scroll on my own. Didn't get a notice the site was up and running from BCO but am getting these invasive messages. Sheesh! Can someone tell me how to disconnect from something I didn't ask for?

Nice to see you MC and Illinoislady. Hope we can regain some semblance of order here and reconnect. Being down for over 48 hours was like being on vacay with no internet access.

• moderators
    Options

Hi betrayal,

During the transition, all members private message notifications for bookmarked threads was default set to on. To turn this off, please see the User Guide page on Managing Notifications. Please let us know if you still need help!

Thanks for your patience as we continue to roll out the new forums!

—The Mods

• betrayal
    Options

Mods: I am not commenting about private message postings. I am getting a notice each time someone posts on a forum I have bookmarked and they are being sent to my private email. I was also unable to find the site you referred me to because when I click on my avatar as suggested I do not have access to the list shown. I do need help with this and for correcting data in my treatment post. I am unable to correct incorrect info posted there. There is no edit button. Thanks.

• moderators
    Options

Betrayal,

Apologies — we meant the notifications for bookmarks were set to default to receive an email each time a thread you have bookmarked is updated. We will adjust this setting for you!

To clarify if you click your avatar at the top right of your screen, do you see the Account and Privacy settings link? If you click that you should be taken to a profile page with a list of options on the right, one of them being Notification Preferences. From there you should be able to select which notifications you receive, and how.

As for your getting your Post Signature to appear, please see these instructions.

We hope this helps!

—The Mods

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 950
    Options

It's taken a couple day but I've finally found my way back here. I'm interested to see if my diagnosis and treatment info appears when I post.

• puffin2014
    Options

Looks like it didn't, I'll have to try again.

• puffin2014
    Options

I wonder how come I can see my avatar but it's not appearing when I post something.

• puffin2014
    Options

Now my avatar has totally disappeared and I can't find where I'm supposed to add it back.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Hi, all. I figured out how to get here. It is easier to read. I missed everyone. Hope all is well.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

I finally made it back on. I would get emails and see that others had posted, I’d try periodically, it look like I was making progress and then I’d get kicked off.

Babysitting for grandbaby today as my DD and SIL childcare person was sick today. We made it here by 10. Had the fun time of feeding her lunch - broccoli / pear mixture. She likes to help feed herself and it was a bit of a mess. She’s played for a bit, had a bottle and my DD is trying to get her down for an afternoon nap. Babysitting is tough work. DH and I are tired.

Did take time for a telemed appointment. I’ve been experiencing awful dry mouth and wanted to discuss medication options with my PCP. She’s calling in a RX for me to try to see if the side effects are tolerable. I had dry mouth years ago and tried a different medication. Side effects were awful, so I stopped the medication. Dry mouth eventually went away though. This time, I’m also dealing with burning mouth syndrome, which makes the dry mouth symptoms worse for me.

Had some ladies from the neighborhood over yesterday. We get to monthly, meeting at someone’s home. The host serves light snacks and we catchup.

I hope to catch-up on posts and figure out more about how to use the new site. I hope everyone is doing well. Have a wonderful rest of your day.

• moderators
    Options

Welcome back, cardplayer! Wonderful to see you here again 🤗

• mcbaker
    Options

I visited my PCP today and got chest x-ray and electrocardiogram out of the way and have an apt with orthopedic Dr. on May 10.

• moderators
    Options

Welcome back, mcbaker!

• puffin2014
    Options

I added my avatar back in, and seems to come and go.

• puffin2014
    Options

moderators: I'd use the Private Message box if I could find it.

• moderators
    Options

@puffin2014 Happy to help! If you click on a username, you'll get a pop-up window with a brief snapshot of the user's profile, and the message button is on the right.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

Finally was able to stop getting the emails regarding people posting to what use to be my favorites. I noticed the "glitches" thread has disappeared from my list. Type is still small and light on my computer. Looks like I may be leaving BCO for good. Will try back in a month or two to see what has improved.

• cardplayer
    Options

I hope to figure out the new navigation, although I seem to land on an odd page to start with. Probably a user error at this point.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,175
    Options

I use my phone and it’s not that easy. This is the first it’s let me in. But I’ve had an email sent with every single entry. It flings be back to page one LOL. I’ll figure it out sooner or later.

90+ today. I’ve emptied the guest bedroom closet of items that have to go back to NY with us. It’s not as big a pile as I thought and that’s good too.

We don’t leave until the 6th but I’m already in “go home” mode. Hope everyone finds their way back here.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,520
    Options

Didn't read the posts yet, but after 17 years on BCO, I don't like this new forum. It is hard to navigate, and not user friendly. Time will tell if I continue to frequent the boards on a regular basis.

Tomorrow is treatment #5. Getting tired of it all already and still have a long way to go.

I guess I should go back and read the posts.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,159
    edited April 2023
    Options

I was going to quit but will give it a few more days. I’ve been writing in my journal much more and wonder if that’s better than being part of a breast cancer group. I don’t get feedback on my journal thoughts, or enjoy reading what others are doing, but then again, no one can click a “dislike” button and easily hurt my feelings without explanation.

I am thankful for the chance to know those who post here, but I am tired of playing the “going through maintenance” game. I don’t feel comfortable sharing on BCO anymore.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    Options

Hi MM, I understand your concern with the new layout. I feel that we dont need the negative 'dislike' button, the others are fine. I hope you dont leave and just take a break.

• mcbaker
    Options

I think most of us will continue. Just takes a bit to get used to changes. I like it. It is much more like boards I have used in the past. On the other hand, most of us are several years out from diagnosis and treatment, and are dealing with other stuff.

• cardplayer
    edited April 2023
    Options

Glad to see you all back on the boards. Good luck with your treatment today Karen.

I found a help page this morning. Hope it helps.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    Options

Hi , I am beginning a little campaign to get the 'dislike' button removed. I do not think this will help anyone and could negatively affect someones mental health if someone dislikes a message that is significant to them. The discussions are informative or supportive and a place to vent . I dont want a 'dislike' button .

Please send a message to the Mods if you agree. Thanks

• moderators
    Options

Hi @denny10 and all! Feel free to send us a private message too, but completing the feedback form would be the most effective and helpful way to share your thoughts. In the feedback form you will have the opportunity to report:

• a technical issue you are experiencing
    • an idea for a new feature or improvement to the user experience
    • general feedback about Breastcancer.org’s discussion forums

Thank you. And let us know if you have questions!

The Mods