Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 37,997

If we make our goal to live a life of compassion
    and unconditional love, then the world
    will indeed become a garden where all
    kinds of flowers can bloom and grow.

Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross

• illinoislady

Good morning. We got our rain last night starting after dark. Most of it seems to be done. Don't know is we will get more, but already we are being told there will be a heat advisory starting early Tues and going until late Thursday. High temps. and high humidity as well.

Our only appt. for the week is actually a Vet visit on Monday, so I think we will do as the advisory said and lay low inside most of the time. It is why I often dread some (not all) of our summer rains.

Again there is nothing special for today. SIL put up the little fence for Lil' Red yesterday afternoon. It is sort of cute. Definitely temporary. Most of the dogs we have had acclimated to the yard due to others being here to help them. Red will be an only dog so we and the little fence will be the teachers. Depending on how well we do will be the factor as to whether we need to invest in an invisible fence.

I hope you are all going to have a good day. ((((((Puffin)))))

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609

Although in the past we used a long lead for our dogs, most graduated to staying within our property. Occasionally they would go visit the neighbor next door because they also had dogs. When we would go down front to work on the flower beds they knew that the wooden slat fence was the stop point for them and it was not unusual to see them with their heads draped on the slats. The road was far too busy for them to go beyond that point.

Reagan came to us as a 2 year old who was used to being crated and on a lead of some type. Trainer felt that we would never be able to get her to overnight outside the crate and he is correct. She tucks herself in at 10:30 every night and she is not to be trusted off a lead so we use the long lead in the back yard and at the flower beds near the stream. It is for her safety since she can be impulsive at times. We leave a lead on her when she is on the patio with us in case she wants to stray but she is allowed to roam there. She really doesn't like being out in the yard by herself like our other dogs did. We have a large rock that protrudes from the back yard and that's where most of them would perch like they were surveying their yard.

Using a fence to establish boundaries for Lil Red sounds like a safe plan. My DS has an electric fence for his dogs but on occasion they have been known to charge through it. The collars are so expensive as he learned when he had to resize one after his last dog died. The new dog was much smaller so the collar had to be changed.

Today is sunny, already in the high 70's and breezeless. Lower humidity than last week but still not as low as I'd like it. Not much planned for today other than PT exercises and walking. Will attack some household chores as well.

harley, hope your numbers improve so you can resume chemo. Our bodies are such wondrous things that work to protect us and at times seem to betray us (cancer, arthritis, other diseases) but in the end, they work to resume homeostasis to protect our well-being. Your body was responding to the chemo but then decided it needed a break before it could deal with the next round. Fingers crossed.

puffin, (((hugs))). Your resilience is admirable.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• illinoislady

Good to hear about Regan and other dog behavior. We are so far out from having had to 'train' anyone much that is it almost a whole new experience. So, hearing how others have dealt with the positives and negatives is refreshing. One of the reasons we felt we needed a much older dog was there would be less tendency to playfully run where one shouldn't. We don't mind the work of training, but the exuberance and energy of a puppy is a lot for us.

Fortunately, there is virtually no traffic on our road. In fact, one of our dogs would not go in our yard, but always ran across the road into the woods on the other side. Still delivery and or repair trucks and vans do show now and then. Our neighbor Dan, next door has two dogs and 'loves' all animals, so we know he uses care on the road. He generally only comes on the weekend when he comes so we can go weeks sometimes with only the garbage service trucks on the road once a week.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,276

Our neighbors.

It rained before dinner but had stopped on our way home, so these neighbors were out from under a tree. Beach tomorrow!

• illinoislady

Living our life means that we take our life day to day and moment to moment, always trying to deepen our understanding of what it means to be human.  Life will never be perfect, and we will always be in a state of moving towards completeness.  Don, 84, put it this way:  "You have lived the life you have lived.  When we accept the life we have lived, then we can begin to be whole."  He echoed an often-heard theme:  When we judge our life we diminish ourselves.  The more we can eliminate all need to compare, compete, grade, and judge our lives, the closer we get to wisdom.

John Izzo

• illinoislady

Good morning from a rainy night and more of it right now. Due to stop around 11 a.m. About the time we need to be at the Vets with one cat and Lil' Red. I'll be so glad to get this accomplished. Red needs to get started on flea meds. We have so many trees along with many squirrels — so flea infested lawn.

Cindy, loved the picture of the wild turkeys? and American flag. Perfect picture. Hope the beach will be enjoyable.

Thinking about all (Harley, Puffin, Taco, Betrayal) and anyone having medical issues that are being worked through. Always hoping and praying for good resolutions.

It will be busy here, but I'll likely stop back by later when I have more time. Just wanted to say hi for the morning.

• betrayal

Slept last night with only 2 awakenings and second at 5 am was due to pain from extending knee. Need to sleep this way but after about 6 hours in this position it tends to protest. Had to take a Norco to get it to quiet down and then slept until 8 am. PT today was tolerable and discussed with PT about what I thought was a setback on Friday. She didn't feel that way and said progress continues with some newer exercises and use of both 2 lb and then 3 lb ankle weights. During back against the wall squats I could hear and feel grating in my left knee which was not pleasant to hear or feel. If left knee was a cave I'd have both stalagmites and stalactites due to osteophytes present on x-ray. I could see them when she brought up x-rays at last visit. The left was actually the worse of the 2 but the right was the most painful, so opted to get it done first.

Need to drive my car to dealer next week for annual inspection and oil change, so I have to trial drive by the end of the week. DH will not drive my car after a negative driving experience with my last one. I think I am ready and find that lateral moves are not hard.

Bumble Bee is trilling away and his volume is continuing to increase. I was playing a Janis Joplin song yesterday and he also finds her to be a favorite since he did not sing along with other artists including the Beatles and Moody Blues, just her. She's one of my all time favorites. I'll have to see how he reacts to a Nina Simone song next.

Went to lunch at a new cafe in the shopping center near us and had what they call OMG French toast that had walnuts, caramel drizzle and bacon bits on top with warm maple syrup. The OMG was an apt title. There were 3 slices of a multigrain bread and I could only eat 2 and probably should have only eaten 1/2 of the second slice. They had really good coffee as well. So this will be a keeper because I am full.

Overcast and in the low 80's but low humidity so tolerable. DH to finish working on fencing in the flower bed near the stream. He finished the area to the left of the flagstone walkway and now will work on the right side.

cindyny, loved your neighbors. They can be noisy and quite aggressive. There is a town in NJ where they took over and the residents were not happy because they are protected so they cannot harm them. Hope you get great weather.

Harley, puffin and anyone else with issues, I am hoping they are minor inconveniences.

Hope everyone has a great day.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 341

Cindy - Nice picture of your neighbors. Hope they aren’t the loud partying type.

Betrayal - love to hear that Bumble Bee and you are jammin’ to Janis Joplin. Your breakfast sounds amazing.

Rainy, gray and humid here today.

• illinoislady

I move through my day-to-day life with a sense of appreciation and gratitude that comes from knowing how fortunate I truly am and how unearned all that I am thankful for really is.  To have this perspective in my everyday consciousness is in itself a gift, for it leads to feeling “graced,” or blessed each time. . . . Every time I see beauty around me, I appreciate what I am seeing, and simultaneously I have this sense of appreciation—for being alive to have this particular moment.

Jean Shinoda Bolen

• cindyny

On vacation so not to sound alarming- I sent Sandy a private message days ago and have heard nothing. Anyone have contact information outside of BCO?

• betrayal

cindyny, I do not have any info on Sandy. I am hoping all is well with her.

Watched women's Olympics gymnastics to see team win Gold and it was great to watch these talented women. I usually am immersed in the Olympics from the get go but not this year and not sure why. Great see Simone Biles regain her skills and win gold. This will most likely be her last Olympics due to her age but she will retire as the GOAT.

Bumble Bee likes the music they play in the background for the floor routines and was singing along. I have to figure a way to record it.

Sunny and warm today with temps in low 80's. Just doing some light household chores today. Not as sore from PT as I have been so that's good. I may do a load or two of laundry. DH still working on fencing at stream bed.

Ortho sent me a eletter to print for TSA stating I had a right TKA and I hope it is acceptable. I'll make several copies to take when we leave for vacation.

DD and DSIL had a horrible experience with Banjo. She got into some medications leftover from their last dog and consumed an unknown amount. She has been at Penn Vet school since Sunday being observed and getting IV fluids. Hopefully she will have no permanent effects from this and can be discharged to them soon.

• illinoislady

I had an addy for Sandy, but it is on my other hard drive which I can't access right at the moment. I will send her a pm as well. Perhaps if more than one she will realize we are concerned.

Lots to do today so I haven't been on till now. Nothing important, but lots or crazy little odds and ends, that just kept seeming to get in my way, but all is well.

Big storms again last night. Maybe more to some — not sure, but it has brought plenty of heat and humidity. Well, we have been quite fortunate so don't feel I can complain at all. Also, we are very close to what is usually out hottest month anyway.

Thinking of all and sure hoping you are fine and not having to experience too much heat. We don't plan on being out for a while more than we have to. Will likely wait for evening to do things we might otherwise have done in earlier daytime.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,075

Betrayal, I would love to hear your bird sing. But I don't think we can post audio.

This morning the temperature was in the 60's, I think 68. We opened up the camper and circulated fresh air inside. When I came inside to take a shower about 3 pm, I closed up and turned on the a/c. It's still comfortable sitting on the deck with the box fan blowing.

DH had his appointment today with the wound care nurse. She tended to his leg and gave him more supplies. It was such a good idea to go to her. DH wore his new size 40 shorts. He's down from a 42 and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes down another size. I did mention to him today that he has to consume some protein. He has been eating mostly salad foods and melon because they taste good, while some other foods have lost their appeal. I'm wondering if one or more of his meds might be affecting his taste. He does have eggs for breakfast. I am eating less, too, trying to drop some pounds that I can well afford to lose.

Jackie, when you can manage it, post a picture of Lil Red.

Thinking of Puffin and Harley. And hoping Sandy is doing well, just busy.

• illinoislady

Just to let everyone know — I sent Sandy a pm and told her we were all concerned and hoped she was just busy and wasn't in the path of any storms and getting issues from that as well. I did think of a way to look for her addy that I had, but I couldn't go back far enough to find it in some of the lists I have kept.

I'm hoping we hear something soon. She is pretty resourceful, but none-the-less there will be worry till we hear. If all else I might call my friend and see if he can do a quick installation of my older addy lists from the other computer. Already have to get him to do some pictures from the old — so it should be a snap.

Fingers crossed.

• keywestfan
    keywestfan Member Posts: 367

I believe Sandy is okay- just immersed, more than usual, in her very active, productive life. I’m deducing( inducing?) this because she has been on Facebook as of a week ago making very pithy comments on the political scene. I certainly hope she is fine- just engrossed.

Do not like my walking. Have become afraid of walking outside alone and still wary of curbs. Can walk long, mile or two, with Gil or a friend, often holding a sleeve or arm or with cane. Am thinking of taking Pilates which is in a large studio just down the street, but feel foolish going in there and saying “I’m 90.” I just imagine the instructors or owner laughing at me.”

• cindyny

keywest, it’s good to hear Sandy’s been on FB. As for Pilates, I took it for some time at a private studio and the class had many ages in the group; as well as private lessons. I’ve also taken a floor mat Pilates at a community college and it too had all ages. Give it a go.

We were up and pretty much hanging at the house yesterday, awaiting our trip for a fishing boat excursion. We received a call I missed, then an email - the trip was cancelled due to high winds. Off came the clothes, on went the bathing suits, and off to the beach we headed. We had a good time there, and as we saw the choppy waves we were gals we weren’t out on a boat! Fishing trip rescheduled for Thursday late afternoon.

Today’s plan is to head out a little further to Marconi beach. We have the National Parks lifetime pass and it holds true on the Cape Cod National Seashore too. At $25-30 a day we’ll take the savings.

Enjoy your day!

• illinoislady

Never forget that the purpose for which we live is the improvement of ourselves, so that we may go out of this world having, in our great sphere or our small one, done some little good for our fellow creatures and labored a little to diminish the sin and sorrow that are in the world.

William E. Gladstone

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,267

Mama fox squirrel has been building a nest. She works on it during the evening. She brings twigs and puts them in the pile, then gets more. She goes back and for with these small twigs. Nature is interesting. I hope an owl or hawk doesn't get her babies.

• betrayal

PT today was challenging. She added a new exercise with 3 lb weights and I had to limit reps. Focus is extension which continues to be an issue. I'm getting there but it is a slow process. I'll just keep plugging so I can achieve the desired goals for both extension and flexion.

Sunny, mid-80's with heat advisory warning because humidity is high. Pulled some weeds from the flower beds near the patio steps and asked DH to water flowers tonight. We need a good rain because the lawns are browning as are my ferns. With a good rain they will bounce back. They said showers for yesterday evening but they were wrong.

Bumble Bee is really developing his repertoire of trills and chirps. He seems to like when I am seated in the kitchen near his cage. He's waiting for his celery leaves treat. He's increasing his volume but it is still low. Charming little guy and so glad I got him because he spreads his cheer.

Hope we hear from the MIA's: Sandy and Chris. Want to hear what both of them are up to. I need to locate some misplaced jewelry that should be in my new jewelry chest, I'm just not sure which drawer.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Today I get my electric wheelchair tat I can run with my left hand. Hoping it gives me easier movement

• cindyny

Yesterday we ventured out to Marconi beach.

It was, dare I say, COLD. The water was 62, the wind had us all covered under our towels. We lasted less than 2 hours. I did get to read my book all the while.

Puffin, good to hear you’re getting an electric wheel chair that you’ll be able to use with your left hand.

Everyone sounds like they’re doing ok, Puffin, Harley and Betrayal. Enjoy your day!

• illinoislady

Pessimists see only the dark side of the clouds and mope; philosophers see both sides and shrug; optimists don't see the clouds at all —- they are walking on them.

Leonard Lewis Levinson

• illinoislady

Coming late today. Got an early start this morning but sat down with Lil' Red and some HGTV and a big thunderstorm appeared — so I skipped getting back on here. It is gray and looking iffy still but seems the thunder and lightning are over. We never lost power at all so I'm sure it is fine to be here now.

Puffin, I am so thrilled to hear about the wheelchair. Hope it is everything you need and then some. I continue to hope that your medical regimen will have the desired effect of shrinkage of the tumor.

Here's hoping that your exercises Betrayal have the best effect though they seem quite tough just now. Always hoping for good solid pain relief and my usual — good healing sleep.

Bumble Bee sounds delightful to have around and anything that has the power to cheer a person up has to be a wonderful thing. Sounds like you have found a wonderful friend.

Cindy, the beach (water lover for its spiritualness that I am) look just fantastic. When we were Calif. residents (Santa Barbara/Ventura areas) it was often windy and coolish on the beach. At my age I'm sure I would notice it ALL the more. The surfers seemed to have been okay with the water, but then they have their wetsuits and the thrill of a big wave. Good for you getting in there for a bit — and reading too.

Hope all have a good day. All of you are just a thought away you know.

• betrayal

puffin, so glad to hear you have an electric wheelchair to assist you with mobility.

Having been watching 2 sparrow fledglings in my Japanese maple today. One flew into the bay window and was seemingly unhurt while parents were hovering nearby. Now I am watching them flutter their wings so parents will feed them. Tree is very full so it provides lots of protection from predatory birds. Nice to have this window on the world and the birds.

Have been watching the Olympics today and got my ironing done. Want to dust dining room tonight and then settle down with a new series on Britbox. I have this and Acorn so while summer reruns or boring reality shows are on, I can watch older shows from other countries that are engaging. I just found Silent Witness which has 27 seasons and I am only on season 1 but heading into season 2. First few seasons are only 2- 2part shows.

Very hot today with temps in high 80's but heat warning that it would feel close to 100 degrees. Staying inside and will get DH to water plants tonight.

Bumble Bee sang along with the Beatles Michelle today so I'll have to play that for him. It was on a commercial and he trilled away. He varies his songs and is really developing his volume as well.

Illinoislady, sounds like you are having fun with Lil' Red. Getting them into a routine based around yours takes time and patience but is necessary for co-existence. I wish Regan would not try to assist me with getting dinner on the table since she is constantly underfoot.

cindyny, we went to Cape Cod in May many moons ago and DH told me to take a bathing suit. I told him "no" because I don't go into the Atlantic until August. He walked into the water until knee level and just stood there. I asked him how was the water and he was so cold he could not answer. I literally had to pull him out of the water. So 62 degrees now sounds warm but still not something I would even stick my toes in. You were brave to go to the beach. Pictures are lovely.

Taco, hope your surgery went well and your recovery is smooth.

Hope everyone had a great day.

• illinoislady

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year’s course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word “happiness” would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.     -Carl Gustav Jung

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 341

Well, chemo #5 still hasn’t happened. It didn’t happen on Wednesday due to low platelets so we rescheduled for today but the platelets are still too low. We’ll try again on Tuesday 🤷‍♀️. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Since I didn’t have chemo today we drove to Milwaukee for the Wisconsin State Fair. It was quite hot but we took it easy and spent a few hours there having lunch and listening to music. It was more enjoyable than chemo, but I find I have to be careful in the heat.

Puffin - happy to hear you have an electric wheelchair which will hopefully provide better mobility.

Cindy - it’s hot and humid here so those beach pictures look really good.

Taco - hope you are recovering well.

• betrayal

Well the rain we needed is coming down right now but I am hoping it continues and not just stop with one heavy downpour. For the moment it has stopped but this will barely make a dent in what we need. The poor flowers and lawns are struggling due to excessive heat and humidity. Hope it rains all night even if it is not in sheets.

When I walked out of the house to go to PT, the heat smacked you in the face and it was like walking into a blast oven. My DF worked in a steel mill and it was like when we used to take the summer tours of the mill. PT went well but did not realize that she is now using 4 lb weights for some of the exercises and 2 lb for the others. New resistance band added today for knee extension so I will see how I feel tomorrow. I thought the purple one was torture and this yellow one was even heavier. Had heat instead of ice at end of session due to rigor of today's challenges.

Learned the manager/other PT who has been there since I first went there nearly 5 years ago will be leaving this month. She found a place (with the same company) closer to home and no one could fault her for taking that.

DD and DSIL dropped by and when I got home I found DSIL vacuuming the kitchen, the family room, living room and dining room. Such a nice surprise knowing I am still not able to do this. He even swept down both sets of steps which are not carpeted but are hardwood. I can manage the dusting and straightening up but having the floors done is a big plus.

DH will meet his sister tomorrow for breakfast. She's in town to see cardiologist at U of PA. She has had a stroke many years ago, recovered with no defects and now has some carotid issues. She lives in FL so I am not sure why she comes back to this area for care rather than finding someone to treat her there. Really not much use to her if she has an emergency there.

Saw my first buck with a small rack yesterday. It was walking through the far side of my neighbor's yard so could not get a good look. He looks to be a juvenile based on body size. Hope to see him again. The twin fawns and mamma were in the back yard today the same time as our resident rabbit. Nature at its best.

Waving hello to Taco, harley and hoping she was able to get chemo this week, puffin in her new wheels and anyone else having medical or personal challenges now.

Hope everyone has a great day.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,267

Good morning. Down here we are watching the tropics. No matter what it does, there will be a lot of rain.

Anyone here from Sandy?

• illinoislady

There can be no success without enthusiasm. The secret of a full life is lots of enthusiasm, the kind that keeps you fighting and winning over all obstacles--and enjoying every minute of it.

Alfred Krebs