Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,469
    edited June 2010

enjoyful, I peeked on to the 'try to have a civilized political debate' thread (I vowed never to go on one of those again after the health care reform 'debate' but stopped by because I saw you had posted it). No wonder you are tired, and you probably HAVE been trying to pound on things with your hands in your sleep!!! I am amazed that you also don't have a headache from bashing your head into a brick wall. Ha!!!!!

• nlm
    nlm Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2010

On the FDA website, it looks like in the last couple of days,  two companies have received tentative approval for anastrozole.  Hopefully a generic will be out soon.  My insurance only covers generics.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2010

Now ruth, I didn't know about that thread and now you are making me work my little brain to stay away.  Phooey!

Enjoyful, I'm also tired but that's actually normal for a Friday evening so maybe it's only in my mind.  Not in my mind is that I feel like one big body ache and my left hand is stiff and the thumb hurts.  So, some of this is the normal aging process but some is due to Arimidex I'm certain.

Enjoy the weekend folks.

• jakhope
    jakhope Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2010

Keep moving is hard when you are aching! I will check into those shoes, thanks Ruth. I am icing from my ankle to my knee not knowing for sure what is hurting. Ugh! I only have 4 years and 9 months to go!

• Enjoyful
    Enjoyful Member Posts: 278
    edited June 2010

Haha ruth - brick wall for sure.  My dad used to call me "hammer-head" because I was hard-headed and refused to let things go.  Good for a cancer fight, not so good for other things.

Why can't someone invent a cancer med that has GOOD side effects?  It doesn't seem right that they're all bad.  Jeez.

E

• Leah58
    Leah58 Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2010

I bought a gel product called BIOFREEZE.  If you have an ache somewhere, put a small amount on the area.  It really helps me when the back of my neck is sore.  BIOFREEZE has a cooling sensation and it makes an aching area feel better.  You might find it at a drugstore or a chiropractic office.

Also, I highly recommend Ruth's pampering therapy.   This week, I got my first pedicure in four months.  I now have pretty pink polished toes and white cancer ribbons painted on my big toes.  It felt so nice feel "normal" out in the real world and to be pampered.  I am now ready to walk in the survivors' walk at our county's Relay for Life tomorrow.   Now, if it would stop raining!!!

A Team, I have been taking Arimidex for 5 whole days.  I am thinking positively, but I'm fanning myself vigorously and I'm armed with BioFreeze if my joints start "talking to me."

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited June 2010

"Talking to me" is exactly the right description for my wrists and ankles. After only about 2 months on A, they've started making so much noise, I kinda of feel like a version of  Snap, Crackle and Pop.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2010

The "snap, crackle, pop" has moved to my lower back. Scares me to death but so far only a little stiff. Cross your fingers for me! I am in the middle of a garden project and can't be down in my back right now! So... one year on Arimidex there are still surprises. :-)

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2010

My knees really hurt alot now. My left knee is visibly swollen. I noticed my lower back is aching more also. Going down steps is not fun, alot of pain. Especially in the morning. I am going to keep taking Advil and I have Biofreeze, I'll have to start using it again!

• pj12
    edited June 2010

For me.... Aleve works the best.  

• patoo
    edited June 2010

Thanks JO for that info.  I'm not claiming it but think I will research LE therapists in my area  just to have the info readily available.  Going to break out the LE book you recommended too.  I only skimmed it; now need to go back and learn some exercises.

Can't take aleve - messes with my stomach.  Ibuprofen has been working and nurse from insurance says it shouldn't be a problem taking it everday.  Will have my liver and kidney functions checked at my annual physical with PCP in 2 weeks.  My thumb does pop and it's just annoying; only painful when I massage the bone. 

But, just sayng, not complaining.

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2010

I have a question, and you are probably going to wonder how I cannot know this ........ but what is a "hot flash" like?  Is it from head to toe or just head and neck, or .......

I am not sure if I have ever had one, but I think now I might, although it doesn't seem to be what I would have expected.

• kt57
    kt57 Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2010

Molly,

Everyone is different and flashes can vary in intensity.  Most of mine are just a warmth in my upper body, mostly neck and head.  Sometimes, they are very warm -- building slowly until I am drenched in sweat.   My night time flashes are the worst -- sorta feel like I am cooking from the inside out --- occasionally have bed drenching night sweats.  Since I have given up sugar, they are 100 x better.  

• MTG
    edited June 2010

Molly,

On A, my hot flashes start with my face and head, kindof like the warmth when you start to blush and then I get warmer and the heat radiates. When I was on Tamoxifen, the heat started with my feet. In both cases, the heat starts from the inside, not out as we''ve been accostumed to.

My favorite description was from someone on the Tamoxifen thread - It's your inner child playing with matches.

My best solution so far is to layer - lots of tees or tanks with a swetare or blazer.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited June 2010

Molly I, personally, would not call them flashes; to me they are flushes.

Mine seem to start from the middle of my back and work their way over the head to the face and then down the front to the same level as they started on the back. 

If it is a hot day and I am outside without a hat or umbrella, or shade of any sort, I feel quite panicky that I might spontaneously combust on the spot and I often have this same sensation in bed, especially in winter.  I need a small desk fan on my bedside table, pointed at my face/head which I can turn on until the flush passes.  In summer, I have put a wet face washer in a vacuum flask with crushed ice where I can reach it quickly, ring out the cloth and place it on the main artery in my neck until the flush passes.  Actually, using the washer on the face with the fan blowing can make you feel quite chilly after a while.

Sheila.

• painterly
    painterly Member Posts: 266
    edited June 2010

Flashes are known as flushes outside of North America. Smile

Diagnosis: 11/10/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

• judyqueen20
    judyqueen20 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010

Hi Roxy, I have been taking Arimidex for nearly 2 years now. The aches and pains are awful, especially in the night. I find it hard to turn over in bed and the hot flushes wake me up constantly! The chemo i had was F.E.C. and Taxetere. The taxetere attacked the nervous system and has damaged the nerves in my feet. So, when i first stand and walk in the morning, i always stagger to the bathroom!!  But, i have to keep reminding myself, i am 54 and bound to ache at that age. Good luck. Judyqueen20

• painterly
    edited June 2010

Hi judqueen20

Wow, you are the first one to mention staggering to the bathroom in the morning. Me too! I stagger then "fall" down onto the toilet and have to use my hand to lever myself up!  Then it wears off as soon as I get moving. Got this from chemo long before I started the arimidex but I think the arimidex perpetuates it.

Glenis

• painterly
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the tip Sunflowers!
  • kpopperwell
    kpopperwell Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2010

I am on Arimidex too.  I call those flashes "having a personal summer".  I, too, would stagger to the bathroom in the morning but since I have started walking a mile 2 x a week and do yoga 1x a week it has lessened a bit.  Not gone but slightly better.  Figure if I do the exercise more then it should get even better.  I also have the Skechers Shape Ups.  I use them to walk the mile.  Learned to change the way I walk in order to benefit from the shoes.  I usually wear a 7 1/2 but bought an 8.  Perfect fit.

• patoo
    edited June 2010

Over on the exercise thread several have commented on the toners.  I love mine although they are Dr Scholls not Sketchers.  Avia and LA Gear also have them.  I saw some at Burlington as well but don't remember the brand. 

My flashes have all but stopped but they present in my cheeks and forehead.  I stagger to the bathroom at night also but that's because I don't want to open my eyes and wake myself up too much.  Do have to hold on to the sink to lower myself to the toilet however but can get back up without help.  Cant hop out of bed in the morning.  I sort of roll to the edge to get out because I'm stiff. 

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited June 2010

I did chemo, surgery, rads, in that order, with Arimidex the day after rads ended.  I really didn't have many SE's from it except the aches and pains, but they started about 2 months into the Arimidex, not right away.

FYI and FWIW... I was on Neurontin for neuropathy, decided about 10 days ago my neuropathy had subsided enough to go off the Neurotin; at the same time, my aches and pains came back (they were much better after I started taking extra D3 a few -- 3-4 -- weeks ago but got worse again when I went off Neurontin).  I also quit taking my Remeron a the same time so I don't know what's doing what but my pharmacist said that he frequently sees Neurontin prescribed for pain (like back and hip pain), although it's really an anti-seizure and nerve pain med (masks the problems caused by neuropathy).  Well, that makes sense, in a way... if it helps with nerve pain why wouldn't it help with Arimidex aches and pains?  Nerves are what make us feel pain, right?   So I'm going back on it tonight.  Stay tuned for the totally unscientific results of my latest experiment!  

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited June 2010

Just came from my face to face support group and thought I'd add my own unscientific findings... everyone there on AIs reported dealing with moderate to severe depression early on in the taking of them (first months). It seems this isn't so much the case with people on this forum... the group I go to is specifically for young women with BC, I wonder if it has to do with being younger and not close to or already in natural menopause. And I just wanted to share that for others out there dealing with the same thing...

• painterly
    edited June 2010

I had really severe depression but now that I am off the drug,,,I have happy thoughts once again.

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited June 2010

I have general muscle weakness but no pain.  I suggest that those with joint and bone pain get their Vitamin D levels checked.  If you have levels under 30ng/ml you need to take more Vitamin D.   I will bump the Vitamin D thread.  Read the links.

• painterly
    edited June 2010

My Vit. D was very good but still had severe pain. Everyone is different it seems.

• pj12
    edited June 2010

I take a lot of comfort in knowing I am not alone! Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories.

pam 

• patoo
    edited June 2010

Had my med onc check my Vit D and he said it was in the normal range.  Then I read my report and it was 41, which according to the lab is within normal range, though on the low 'normal' end, but from the Vit D thread seems it needs to be up another 30 points or so?   Are we having fun yet?

• MTG
    edited June 2010

I'm also in the low normal range of Vitamin D (39) and despite taking 2,000 IU daily for quite a while, it hasn't moved so, after talking with my GP, I'm going to "bombard my system" with 5,000IU of D3 for three months and then check my levels again.  Apparently, higher D levels have all sorts of great effects. Although I take most of my extra D3 in pill form, I do have 3 or 4 Viactive -Chews each days their caramel flavor is terrific and milk chocolate is prety good as well.

• Enjoyful
    Enjoyful Member Posts: 278
    edited June 2010

My vitamin D is in the 50s and I'm getting bad joint pain, ridiculous hot flashes, headaches, the beginnings of neuropathy, and worsening depression.  My body ain't likin' the AIs.  Hopefully the cancer doesn't like it either!