Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Options
1112113114115116118»

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2012
    Options

Bestock - really sorry for your loss.  So young.

• buddy1
    buddy1 Member Posts: 529
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hello, I am new to this forum.  I was wondering if any of you have had your ER PR cancer return while taking arimidex?  Also have you heard of any complications with taking it and having implants?

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited January 2012
    Options

buddy1 - Hi, I can't help you personally or with any statistics on the first question.  However, I am on anastrazole (generic Arimidex) and had implant reconsruction.  I was never made aware of any contraindications and I've had no implant problems relating to Arimidex.

Best wishes!

• Gaye-Doreen
    Gaye-Doreen Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2015
    Options

I was just put on Arimidex and told to take Effexor prior to starting for one month. UGH! Effexor was awful and everything I read about withdrawal is even worse. Had to quit after two doses. Now to start the Arimidex and I am terrified! Everything I read about that is horrible! Does ANYONE have a positive comment about it? Almost feel like I'd rather die than live so horribly.

• Jennie93
    Jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited July 2015
    Options

Gaye, I had some bad SEs on tamoxifen so I was switched to Arimidex. I asked, isn't that one even more notorious for SEs? And my doc said, the thing is, everyone is different. You never know until you try.

I have been on it for about 5 months now and honestly it's no big deal. No hot flashes. No insomnia. No trigger fingers. The joint pain is not worse than what I had on tamoxifen, maybe a teeny bit better even. My weight is holding steady (was gaining on tamoxifen no matter how hard I tried). My mood has improved dramatically. I didn't realize how depressed I was until it started lifting.

So give it a try, you just never know, many people have no problems at all. If you do have issues, they can try something else.

• cw89134
    cw89134 Member Posts: 62
    edited July 2015
    Options

Gaye,

I was on Arimidex (later the generic version, Anastrozole) for five years. I had very few side effects, if any. As Jennie said, different people have different side effects. Some have no side effects.

I've been off Anastrozole for over a year (they only keep you on it for five years) and I really don't see a difference between when I was on it and now.

Good luck!

Carol

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited July 2015
    Options

I have to be on Arimidex for 7 years and I have started cymbalta to help with the bad bone pain which has been helping.

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837
    edited July 2015
    Options

I've been on Arimidex now for nearly two months and so far, no big deal side effects. I have a bit of nausea off and on, but nothing that slows me down. I'm back to work and running, so far everything seems to be working just as it always has. I was totally freaked out about this drug before I started, but there were people here who told me many people have no problems at all. I feel pretty lucky and if it stays this way not worried about taking it. Also the ladies here told me to get the Teva brand (which I did) as that supposedly causes less SEs

• DENTHOMAS
    DENTHOMAS Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2015
    Options

I was on Arimidex for almost 3 years. It made my osteopenia worse so the Dr said to stop taking it. No other symptoms though.

• suladog
    suladog Member Posts: 837
    edited July 2015
    Options

Dent,

my test showed I had moderate osteopenia, I'm very active and run. I had taken fosamax after chemo 25 or so years ago, then they took me off of it cause I didn't need it anymore. I just got a prolia shot the other day to keep the bones in good shape. I did a bunch of reading on it and it seemed like a good idea as the some of the latest thinking now is that the bisphosphenates may play a role in preventing any cancer getting to the bone. There was study that came out a couple of weeks ago. I'd read it, and then talked to my MO who'd also read it so it seemed like a good idea to me. The prolia injection was like getting a flu shot. I'm intested to see what it does for bone health as I'd like to skip the big O if I can.

• Gaye-Doreen
    Gaye-Doreen Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thank you Jennie93 - appreciate the positive response. :)

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915
    edited July 2015
    Options

When I tell people I am 98% estrogen, they say that is good. I just finished treatment and know I will be going on something. Why is 98% good? And, any thoughts on what is best to take? I have not discussed this with my MO yet, but I need to say she does not offer much information about anything.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi there. It means your cancer will respond well to the hormone blockers!

• djol1950
    djol1950 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2015
    Options

I have been on Anastrozole for the past 3 years with only hot flashes as my side effect. I did have a trigger finger but attributed that to climbing on and off the radiation table. Had an injection in the joint and it's fine now.

However, one of the inactive ingredients in my latest refill has Povodine in it and I'm highly allergic to this. It's in Aromasin/Exemestane as well. I tried Femara and it made my joints swell in my legs and dizziness was very bad.

So, now I am out of luck and fearing the worst. As long as I was on something I felt I could be protected !

Jo

• sandylo
    sandylo Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2016
    Options

i was on arimidex for two years the pains were horrendous i couldnt get out of bed at first and couldn't pick my kettle up I was then put on exemerstane which I also stayed on for eighteen months not a lot better than put on letrozole for the last eighteen months that was a lot better I stayed on those infill my five years were up last Monday i was discharged and put on tamoxifen now for another five years as they now recommend ten years had bad dizzy heads for a few days but seems to be getting better however the agonising pains in my joints are still here hope this helps Sandy xx

• Fearless1956
    Fearless1956 Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2016
    Options

I just started on Arimidex this past Monday.  I know starting off that I have osteopenia (based on my recent bone density test).  My MO wants me to continue taking my calcium twice per day (1200 mg total) but I'm concerned if that will be enough to prevent further bone loss.  She had earlier mentioned the possibility of other meds such as bisphosphenates or injection of Prolia but once I got ready to start on meds, she only recommended the calcium.  Has anyone experienced additional bone loss after starting Arimidex with diagnosed osteopenia and if so, how was that determined?  Annual bone density test?  I have a strong family history for osteoporosis so that's the foundation of my concern about worsening problems over time. 

• Debrastele
    Debrastele Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2019
    Options

Generic Arimidex (anastrozole) is an anti-cancer medication, prescribed to postmenopausal women diagnosed with breast cancer of certain types. It lowers the level of estrogen in one's body. As tumors require estrogen for growth, the medication can be extremely effective for breast cancer treatment even after other methods have failed..