Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stiff Neck

Options

I'm not even sure if this is a concern for bc recurrence or not but here goes.  Around December or January I awoke with a stiff neck on the right side.  Ordinarily it should have gone away within a couple of days.  I still have it.  This past saturday I awoke with a headache on that side that seemed to be agrivated every time I would move towards a certain way.  I have changed pillows and such and still it bothers/hurts.  I'm just wondering if anyone has had something like this occur to them and what it ending up being (doesn't even have to be bc related!) As with us all, I don't want to go the doc with every little ache or pain but this is starting to worry me.  Thanks to all!

Gentle Hugs,

Trish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited March 2009
    Options

Trish, now, you know the "rules". If it lasts longer than 2 weeks get it checked out. Peace of mind alone is worth the trip!

Gentle hugs, (Hey! you took that from ME!) hehehehehehe

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    edited March 2009
    Options

Barbe,

I know the rule!  LOL  When I had my frozen shoulder after my mast (actually started 7 months after my mast - but that's another story!), it worked itself out after a few (read 2 to 3) months.  I was just hoping that this would do the same.  I meet with my onc in May and bring it up with her if it's not gone by then.  I hope it resolves itself as the other thread says, it sucks.

Thx,

Trish

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited April 2009
    Options

Trish,

I know exactly what you are talking about.  I waited 6 weeks (just to be sure!) and just got the report from an US of the nodes back.  It is clear.  I am soooo relieved but now I am wondering what the heck is causing this increasing pain.  I am going to suggest a bone scan.   

All I can tell you is to go and get it checked.  Living in limbo is not very fulfilling.  Better to have answers.  

By the way, I just bought my 3rd pillow in 2 months.  Didn't help. 

• prayrv
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hey PIP!

I just got off the phone w/ my PCP to make an appt for monday.  I'm glad the nodes were good!.  I'm just not sure if my pain is bone related or not.  But I'm starting to get headaches now - a sort of mild, radiating pain from my neck.  I'll let you know what my pcp suggests that we do on monday.  Take care!

Trish

• pip57
    edited April 2009
    Options

Too bad you are in Texas...I am in Canada.  It sounds like we could do all these tests together!  I just started a topic on this myself.  I hope we can figure it out before it drives us insane!!

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2009
    Options

Prayrv, best wishes for a good appointment on Monday. sometimes I think I am crazy,,,always going to the Drs. But I guess this will be out life! Barbe, you are right...peace of mind no matter how many times we go to Dr.

• pip57
    edited April 2009
    Options

Prayrv,

I have just done some research and may have found an answer to our symptoms.  It is called Post Breast Therapy Pain Syndrome. (PBTPS)  There is some good info on the subject at cancersupportivecare.com.  Have a look and see if it fits your symptoms.  My doctor has prescribed anti inflammatory meds and hopefully, if PBTPS is the problem, this should help. 

• prayrv
    edited April 2009
    Options

PIP,

Not sure if it applies.  I had a frozen shoulder that flared up 8 months after my mast.  It resolved itself after 2 to 3 months.  It was on the same side as my mast and it should have been.  This neck issue is on the opposite side.  I've been taking ibuprofen for other issues (read: cramps) and it doesn't seem to phase the neck.  I'll see what the pcp wants to do on monday.  Take care and thanks for the info!

Trish

• prayrv
    edited April 2009
    Options

Update from dr. appt.

Took x-rays which were interpreted as normal.  Dr. gave me a script for an anti-imflammatory to take during the day and a muscle relaxer to take at bedtime. 

I'll let you know if it does the trick.

Thanks all!

Trish

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2009
    Options

Keep us posted....thanks for the update! (((((((((((( hugs ))))))))))))))

• ststella
    ststella Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2020
    Options

I would recommend consulting a doctor. Secondly, herbal compresses or acupuncture worked well for me. I usually use flaxseed-filled neck heating pad to relieve my stiff neck. They are really convenient and suitable for home use. Some use microwave heating and some use electric heating.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited March 2020
    Options

Stella - welcome to BCO. You may not have have noticed that this thread has been inactive since 2009. For new members, it really helps if you go to My Profile and post your diagnosis & treatment to date. That way people can understand where your recommendations are coming from and what you are going through.

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi there:

Hugs to you. This is interesting to me. I too have woke with stiff, sore neck that would not go away and gave me headaches. I changed pillows, sleep position, did stretches etc. I told my oncologist who ordered x-rays for my neck and shoulders. They came back with mild arthritis in my shoulders.

After a few months, the stiff neck did resolve itself, but my shoulders hurt now. I have had a mastectomy and reconstruction with implants both sides. It hurts my upper arms and shoulders to reach behind or overhead and sometimes my shoulder joints ache on one side or the other. I personally think the shoulder and neck pain are related.

I hope your neck stiffness resolves too....

wallan