Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arthritis vs. Bone Mets

Options

Comments

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2010
    Options

another bad morning. I tried to go to the store but I couldn't walk once I got out of the car. It is scarey not being able to move either leg.

I hope you get good news too, Barbe

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thanks all. Candie, get a cane. It's the only way I can get in and out of a car or up and downs stairs. My DH still comes out at the end of my workday and helps me out of the car and into the house though. Sometimes he even has to undress me...Embarassed
  • barbe1958
    edited April 2010
    Options

JO, I went to a pain management centre years ago and got 2 epidurals in my spine and 2 in my neck. They said the fact that I went back for more showed them how much pain I was in! I'd had 3 herniated disks at the time.

I know this isn't arthritis as per the orthopedic surgeon. It's either disks, scoliosis, a whole in my hip plate? or mets. After viewing my scans and x-rays the surgeon said "You do know you might have to get radiation?" I'm ready to get to the bottom of this instead of band-aid solutions. I had pain with my herniations, but not mobility problems. Go figure. 

It may just turn out to be an unknown. I do know that can happen.

I don't get stoned with all those meds as the opiates are used up for pain. They would pay my mortgage each month though.... 

• candie1971
    edited April 2010
    Options

Barbe, I do have a cane. The problem is that I can't move either leg at times! At work, today, I am using a wheeled cchair to get around..using it as a walker..it helps a lil. I am calling the Dr today to see if I can get a sooner appointment.

Jo, in Dec. they told me I didn't need a hip replacemnt..now thay are saying I may need one. I think I do. The pain is so bad, besides. Last night I cried myself to sleep.I am to the point that I can't even get to the store...I can just bout get into work and get into home. They did a bone scan and say that all is ok..no mets.

Barbe, I don't know how you function on those pain pills. They did give me something but I can't take them...I get looped and can't concentrate at work.

• candie1971
    edited April 2010
    Options

Jo,, it starts out that I can't move..then as it starts to move the pain is so bad it is hard to move, then it "lets loose" so to speak and I can walk. Yes, the pain is draining!!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited April 2010
    Options

Barbe and Candie big hugs, I agree with Jo about pain being very draining.

I wrote a long post and it disappeared into cyberspace. Never mind. I am feeling a bit fragile with constand pain - the problem with my back has not eased at all. No time to do anything before we leave on Saturday so will wait until we get back from our trip.

Just want to get on that plane and can't wait to meet up with some of my BC friends from our chemo group.

Hope you can get some relief Candie.

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499
    edited April 2010
    Options

Any word Barbe?

{{{{{Candi}}}}}

• candie1971
    edited April 2010
    Options

Good morning...Alyson, enjoy wherever it is you are going. Hopefully the pain will subside for you or the fun will take it away for a bit.

Barbe, I wonder too..any word?

Elizabeth, always good to "see" you. How are you?

• konakat
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hey Candi -- I'm OK...still trudging along. Hopefully on a clinical trial by the end of the month. Laughing  Thank-you for asking!!
  • barbe1958
    edited April 2010
    Options

No word until 10 days after the MRI. No MRI yet....

• konakat
    edited April 2010
    Options

Well that sucks.

• candie1971
    edited April 2010
    Options

Barbe when will u have the MRI?

• nursecal
    nursecal Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2010
    Options

I was having some "bone pain" and my onc ordered a bone scan.  Last scan I had was 12/08.  PET/CT 5/09.  Both were okay.  Had new bone scan yesterday with results today.  Says "no definite evidence of osseous metastatic disease".  Had marked uptake in my right rib area but radiologist states it "most likely represents a rib fracture.  Metastatic disease is unlikely."  My concern is that if it is truly a rib fracture, I have no idea how I would have done it.  My oncs office did not seem concerned today when I called for the results.  I am, however, since I had 14 of 32 nodes positive when diagnosed almost 6 years ago.  Can anyone tell me if they have had similar results or what they think would be the proper next step.  I am thinking I should call my oncs office tomorrow and request a PET/CT.  Wouldn't that definitely show if it is a rib fracture or mets.  Thanks in advance.

• candie1971
    edited April 2010
    Options

Nursecal, I do not know much about all these scans.  But I so know that someone will come along that does. I wish you all good luck!

My hip replacement surgery is set for June 16th.  That is exactly 4 years that I had my breast cancer surgery..what a hoot!

hugs and prayers

• barbe1958
    edited April 2010
    Options

Oh Candie! !!!! Lucky, scary time for you. It must be a relief. Did you go back to the doc that was going to do it in the first place? Did he say "I told you so"? Does your PCP know? Does his opinion even count anymore?

My problem is that it's not my hips, so it's probably spine....

MRI booked for July 8th but trying to get it sooner. Kinda keeping work on stand-by for short-term-disability options in case they can actually "fix" me.

• irish47
    irish47 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2010
    Options

A question for the experts, I had a 'touch' of BC diagnosed in Jan this year. (See diagnosis below). Had a bone scan after surgery which was clear. However for at least last 6 months have had pain in my left  thigh, not hip joint. Got worse lately so mentioned it to my rad onc who has ordered an MRI. Now i am not a hypochondriac, but the pain is moderate. Am normally fit and healthy, should i worry?  BTW my sentinel node biopsy neg also.  

• TriciaK
    TriciaK Member Posts: 124
    edited May 2010
    Options

If you take hormone therapy of any type my bet would be this is the culprit!

I don't think you should be worried but am not a Dr so wishing you luck!!!

Tricia xx

• irish47
    edited May 2010
    Options

Hi Tricia and thanks for the reply, but haven't started the tamox yet?

• candie1971
    edited May 2010
    Options

irish, it is probably nothing but I go by the 2 week rule. If it hurts for more than 2 weeks that I go get it checked out. good luck to you and let us know how it is.

Barb, ni I haven't told my PCP yetand yes I did go back to the original Dr..I figuered I owe it to him to loet him do it cause he dx first! So not looking forward to it, youknow I am a big baby when it comes to surgery but am so looking forward for this to be fixed..been having this pain and incovenience of not being able to do certain things for 14 months!! why so long for the MRI??

hugs and prayers

• barbe1958
    edited May 2010
    Options

This is Canada. MRI's are only for visiting athletes...sigh. I'm going to phone on Monday and say that I'll go to another hospital so it can be done faster.

• candie1971
    edited May 2010
    Options

Barbe, seriously?? and what does that mean anyway??I don't understand

• irish47
    edited May 2010
    Options

Hi Candie and thanks for the reply.

What is bothering me is that this thigh pain is getting worse.  Have had it for a few months since before my BC diagnosis.

On top of that, my pre op chest xray showed that there was a shadow on the upper lobe of my right lung.  I had a CT scan and the resp doc thought it might be as a result of scarring due to exposure to TB ( I am a nurse). So had a bronchoscopy and biopsy taken for TB culturing which came back negative for TB.

Of course now even though I am node negative am panicking as this damn thing can spread through the bloodstream also. Am I being silly? Just seems a co-incidence to have something going on in both lung and thigh. My rad oncol has ordered an MRI of my thigh and am due to have another MRI of the lung soon, 3 months after the first one, to compare.

Any thoughts? 

• barbe1958
    edited May 2010
    Options

Irish, what do they mean "exposure to BC"??? How can that cause scarring???

Candie, MRI's are very limited in smaller cities (which I'm in) and I have to have a nurse for the contrast dye, so I can't go in the middle of the night with just a tech. A lot of bullshit really... In most cities you can get an MRI same day if need be. I've gotten a CT in 20 minutes, but there's something about MRI's that are still so sacred here in Barrie...sigh. 

• irish47
    edited May 2010
    Options

Sorry barbe, meant 'exposure to TB'.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2010
    Options

Barbe, the delays in MRI was exactly the reason that made us to switch the local York Central to the Princess Margaret in Toronto. It took them a week to make an MRI in PMH.

• barbe1958
    edited May 2010
    Options

I called this morning and got a June 3rd appointment! Woo hoo! That's better....

• candie1971
    edited May 2010
    Options

Yay, Barbe...that's great!! This way you are on your way to figure out this pain...it is horrible to always be in pain

Irish, our brains just flip with any pain. Just take it step at a time, MRI at a time. I know we get crazy and suspicious with all aches and pains. It will be ok. Keep us informed!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2010
    Options

That's better indeed!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited May 2010
    Options

Oh Barbe i am so glad you finally have  a appt date for that blooming MRI.You are one tough cookie.(((hugs+prayers)))

• shiny
    shiny Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2010
    Options

Oh mumayan, hope you are well. been pretty quiet, as rough and a bit of a broken record re lemonette status. sending you a hug, just as I've chanced upon you now. Am in bed, hoping for some rest soon.

I knew our dear Barbe had multiple health issues but I didn't realize about the spine pain, am soo out of the loop these days. Sending you my peachiest vibes Barbe, I don't follow this thread but having had long term pain issues  and 2 bone mets scares I can relate to some of what am reading.

All my best to you all.

Shiny