Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mucinous Carcinoma of the breast

Comments

• Cherri
    Cherri Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2011

Thank you for the insight I knew I could count on you ladies!  :)  Crazy that my Oncologist can't give me such explanations huh?  I guess that I was really stuck on the diagnosis part, thinking if it was rare then I needed special treatment.  It's nice to know I can quit fretting about it all, that my rare type is actually better then the common type.  Since I am on a run here with great info...is it normal for the breast which had the lumpectomy (specimen measured 6 cm x 5cm x 1.5cm) is now 1/3 bigger then my right?  I know I probably have some swelling & fluid still from the surgery but how long should I expect this?  And will radiation make this worse?  I see so many ladies here stating the same diagnosis as mine and yet they had mastectomies, I know the decision was mine but my surgeon advised me against it because of my diabetes.  I sorta feel I should have just had them take it, but then I would be dealing with a whole other emotional aspect I presume...ah well...thanks again girls!  I hope you both have a lovely weekend!

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited September 2011
    Cherri...I just checked my specimen size and it was 9.7x6.3x1.7 mm and shortly after surgery my breast was also larger.  Had a seroma for many months afterwards that still continues to be absorbed.  Today, one and a half years after surgery and radiation, you would never even know I had surgery.  My incision is in the lower center of my breast and I can't even see it.  The breast looks fine.  When I recently had my mammo and sono, the technician had a hard time even finding the scar!  Not sure if that's such a good thing because that's where recurrences usually occur.  But she really had to look hard to find it!  The breast isn't as perky as my other one, but at 54, hey!  Kiss  Good luck to you!  And don't forget!  Ask for the Oncotype DX test.
  • tricianneAust
    tricianneAust Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2011

Hi all my online MC sisters. I keep having a quick look at all the queries and the information so I try to stay up to date with regular prayer for you all. I just have been extra busy with life and really appreciate having the zest & energy to deal with it now I am back to normal. It will be a year on the 20th October that I was diagnosed. So yes there is light at the end of the tunnel and honestly when I have my next mammogram etc at the end of November if there was more MC to deal with I could deal with it if I had to. The treatment was nowhere near as hard as I anticipated. The Lumpectomy and Radiotherapy was easily managed. The Tamoxifen side effects last 3-4mths but have totally settled down. So take courage. As Voraciousreader explains on any of these web sites you are more likely to hear the difficulties than to hear from those like me who have had a very reasonable journey. So blessings on you all especially if you are just at the beginning of what appears to be a scary, overwhelming trip ahead, you are in my prayers.

• voraciousreader
    edited September 2011

Blessings to you Tricianne and thanks for all of your heartfelt encouragement!

• voraciousreader
    edited September 2011

Here's a great book to read.  I read Dr. Groopman's previous book and it is excellent as well.  He is a close friend and colleague of my husband's doctor.

http://www.npr.org/books/titles/140439006/your-medical-mind-how-to-decide-whats-right-for-you#excerpt

Your Medical Mind by Dr. Jerome Groopman.

Happy Reading!Kiss

• Linda-Renee
    Linda-Renee Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2011

Greetings! I have not been active on the boards for a while but things are hopping. I have just been reading back and some of the information posted is really interesting and relevant to what seems to be happening. My radiation oncologist was concerned about the scar (tiny) from my core biopsy and it turned out to be a second tumour. I don't know if it was 'seeded' during the biopsy (Dec. 2010) or whether it was just missed. I have been taking Tamoxifen since March and have had radiation so the fact that this new thing has survived and thrived is a bit bizarre. I had cervical cancer about 30 years ago that was not related to HPV and the fact that my mother had a miscarriage before I was born makes me wonder if she was given DES. She doesn't remember even where she and my father were living at the time and so checking with hospitals is a bit of a challenge. My sister checked a couple of obvious choices in the Quebec City region where we think they were but came up empty-handed. In the meantime, this new tumour puts me right back at square one. I saw the oncologist on Monday and he has ordered the full battery of usual tests (chest xray, pelvic/abdominal ultrasound, full body scan) and I have to go before the Tumour Conference again next Friday. My gut tells me that because it is another mucinous ER,PR+ and Her2- that they may not do anything except put me on an aromatase inhibitor as the onc says the tamox is not working. I have read that some ER/PR+ tumours do not respond to either tamox or AI...but do respond to chemo. This profile tends to have a high ki67 score. Mine was 25, which I think is considered moderately high, but my oncotype score was low at 17 so everything seems a bit off. I was just putting together an application to start a course but have had to put it on hold because I cannot seem to hold a thought in my head for more than a couple of minutes at a time and I feel totally scattered! I am sorry for the rant - I just needed to vent...

• tricianneAust
    tricianneAust Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2011

Hi Linda-Renee its sad to hear what you are going through, no wonder you can't keep a thought in your head as your mind just reels with this information that you absolutely do not want to hear. As you realise this is a great place to rant and rave, vent to your max, its a great way of dealing with the shock you are experiencing.

So now I am sitting here praying for your special needs at the moment and then covering all my other MC sisters for their needs.That's one thing I can do for you over here in Australia.The scripture that I found so helpful during my "hard time" was Matt 6:34 "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." Praying that your hard time is as soft as possible. Blessings.PS I will be away for two weeks on school hols but though I won't be posting I will have plenty of praying time.

• voraciousreader
    edited September 2011

Linda-Renee....Sorry to hear that you are back to square one.  You have been in my thoughts and prayers since you last posted.  I was going to suggest that a tumor board review your case...but it seems you have that already covered!  That's great news.  Hopefully, with their input you will have better insight as to how to proceed.

My mother also took some medication before her pregnancy with me due to a prior miscarriage.  She claimed it wasn't DES, but something else.  I was never able to confirm what exactly it was.  Not sure how I would be able to do that now.

• Linda-Renee
    edited October 2011

Thanks Tricianne and Voracious reader for your thoughts and support. I have been keeping as busy as possible because I have decided that speculating and worrying is a waste of time. I will deal with whatever I need to when the time comes. In the meantime, I am having fun. I have reconnected with a lot of really old friends and it is wonderful to catch up. VR, I have read a couple of books you had recommended and am thoroughly enjoying them. I am half way through "Those who take care of us", which really makes you think... I will let you know what the Tumour Conference says.

• bayareamom
    bayareamom Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2011

Hi All, this is the very first thread I came to after hearing my diagnosis on August 1st after my biopsy.  I was so happy ot have found some "kin folk" here.  At the time, we were on a cross county road trip from California to Arkansas and my internet access was minimal.  The dr had told me that it was MC and that it was a very rare and "good" kind of cancer, so I was quite relieved...or not as scared as I could have been.  When I got home, I met with the surgeon right away on August 16.  We decided to do a lumpectomy and SNB on Aug. 24th.  All went well but it took them 2 WEEKS to get my results back-those were difficult weeks for me.  When we did finally get the path report, it was "not good", according to the surgeon.  Besides the MC tumor that they found on ultrasound (never did show up on mammogram due to dense tissue---had had a mammogram in dec), ther was an additional MC tumor behind the first, as well as a ductal carcinoma tumor, ans some precancerous DCIS cells.   Also, they did not get a clean margin so additional surgery would be required.  AND he found MC in one out of 5 nodes.  Because I as a AA cup, I fugured if they hacked too much more out, there wouldn't be much to work with so was eaning toward MX.  BS ordered an MRI just to check out the other side.  They found 3 areas of suspicion.  We all decided on BMX.  I had it last thursday on Sept 29. 

I am still in shock that it went from poaint A to point Z so fast.  I honestly thought I would get the lumpectomy and be DONE.  But I must say, it really has not been that bad.  I recieved wonderful care and am not in any pain.  Stayed 2 nights in the hospital.  Just this moring, I took off the ace bandaged and had a look.  Besides the drains (uncomfortable), the scars are neat and tidy and are healing nicely.  I put on a tight sports bra, a new strechy tank and zip up sweat shirt, and honestly I don't look that much flatter than I did before!

As for follow up, I will do chemo but MAY avoid radiation, depending on the path report from the MX.  I have reconstruction as an option and may even go a bit bigger!!

I am taking one day at a time and this site is helping me so much-we are not alone!  Thanks to everybody for your knowledge and insight!

Jeanne

• voraciousreader
    edited October 2011

Jeanne...Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  Glad to hear that you are recovering well.  If you've read this thread, you will know that Dr. Perkins, a radiologist mentioned the importance of being thorough in diagnosing mucinous breast cancer.  Sounds like you are receiving excellent care!  My mammogram didn't find my tumor.  The ultra sound found it and the MRI confirmed it and also found a "drop" of DCIS. 

Has the doctor suggested doing the Oncotype DX test since you are ER+?  Despite having 1 node positive, you ARE a candidate for the Oncotype DX test.  Might give you additional information about how aggressive or UNaggressive your tumor might be and how much benefit you might derive from chemotherapy.

Sending along thoughts and prayers to you.

• bayareamom
    bayareamom Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2011

Thanks Voraciousreader, I will ask her about that test. 

• miki1234
    miki1234 Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2011

hello girls? how are you all?

Voraciousreader you are the angel....thank you a lot...i read again and again and see how much pation you have for every body.....you are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Tongue out

my mom is fine...she started to take the pill named Letrozole Farmoz...do you know this pill? some one? i red about it but still want to know about the efects....

:-(

kisses to all you

• voraciousreader
    edited October 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letrozole

Miki...check out the above link! 

Glad your mom is doing well!  Sounds like you are doing well too!  Happy New Year to you and your family!

• Unknown
    edited October 2011

A  little over a month ago I found this website after I received a report of breast cancer from my doctor after they removed what they thought was another benign fibroadenoma. I had six fibroadenomas starting at age 24. I'm now 65. So much of what I have read here expresses the feelings I had; being dumb struck, scared and shocked. I was so upset at the time I couldn't even manage to register for the website.  I, like a few others here could not even get a confirmation that the tumor was a "pure" mucinous colloid ca.  Tip: Sign an authorization of release of information. Call medical records and get all your reports. Screw waiting for physicians and surgeons to call you back. Although it is torture waiting for the pages to come off the fax machine it is better than waiting for the phone to ring. I don't know why they can't email reports but they won't. Unbelieveable. But then you're on what I like to call the breast cancer train, stopping at Consultation, Surgery, Consultation, Radiation, Hormone Therapy, etc. All Aboard?  I spent 16 years in the medical field and once I got a hold on my fear and emotions, I began doing my homework.  We are all in different places in our lives when breast cancer strikes and it is so important to identify what matters to you right now.  Is it surviving because you have children, family? Is it  fear of being deformed, disabled or dependent? I think that it is very different for everyone. For me, I am not afraid of dying. I've outlived my family, am in the middle of a divorce after 23 years of marriage. I don't want to be deformed, disabled or dependent.  What I have chosen to do, I would not recommend that anyone else does. My  tumor is  stage llA. 3.1 cm, the margins were clear the lymph nodes negative. Pure mucinous colloid carcinoma. My MRI was clean as a whistle but for the remaining tumor.  I had told the surgeon who did the second surgery that I would not be doing the 5 years of hormone therapy. This did not make him happy. Too bad.  I have used my body hard over these years, my spine looks like a jigsaw puzzle although it works fine for me. I rode hunter jumpers competitively for 35 years. I cycle, hike, climb and dance. I'm not going to risk weakening my bones and yes they explained that I could take another drug to counteract it. I also have acid reflux; oh yes, and there is another drug I can take to counter act that. Just think, I'll be done with the hormones at age 70! I'll have my whole life ahead of me! Who are they kidding. Then I started talking to friends who have had radiation. Some, my younger friends and especially those who are on the heavier side have done well with the radiation. Pretty much a breeze for them. Others, my older friends, not so much. Deformities of the breast, rib fractures, fatigue.  Three of my older friends have developed other cancers from the radiation. I'm 105 lbs, 5'1"  why am I going to have radiation to perfectly healthy tissue? This is not a tumor that matastizes. The 10 year survival rate is 90% and the average age of us girls who get this tumor is 72. I think the 10% who didn't make it probably died of old age! In any case my choice is .......I am doing nothing further after the second surgery was done to clean up the first surgery and reconstruct my breast. I plan on doing a lot more research, talking to the oncologist but pretty much I am happy with my decision. Actually this breast cancer has probably saved my life. On the breast MRI they noticed an abnormality which on further CT scan turns out to be an aneurysm of a branch of the superior mesenteric artery. Now this could kill me if it bursts which it is very likely to do and soon.  I'm having surgery to repair it in the next few weeks. I am asymptomatic for the aneurysm so I probably would have just bled out one night after having a bad stomache ache. This surgery is a lot more frightening then the breast surgery. So ladies, I am going to be a research study of one.  I'm just going to see what happens in the next few years. They will be monitoring me with breast MRI's for probably the next 5 years by then I'll be 70 and if I get another tumor along the way it will depend on my mind set at the time, what I will choose to do.  I am off the breast cancer train. The doctors are furious and in complete disbelief, which is a nice way of saying they are pissed that they can't bully me into the routine therapy for a stage llA breast cancer.  If it had been a more aggressive tumor I might have chosen differently. I will never have chemo under any circumstances, or do Hiroshima on my body and take those nasty hormones. I have stopped taking the estrogen that was feeding my tumor for years. Like I said, this is not in any way a recommendation as to what is right for anyone else. But more to the point: remember  you have choices, because they say this is what you have to do doesn't mean you have to agree to do it. It's your body, your life, you decide. Ask lots of questions, do your research and the best of luck and best of health to all of us. As Steve Jobs would say, "don't waste a minute living someone else's life"

April

• Unknown
    edited October 2011

A  little over a month ago I found this website after I received a report of breast cancer from my doctor after they removed what they thought was another benign fibroadenoma. I had six fibroadenomas starting at age 24. I'm now 65. So much of what I have read here expresses the feelings I had; being dumb struck, scared and shocked. I was so upset at the time I couldn't even manage to register for the website.  I, like a few others here could not even get a confirmation that the tumor was a "pure" mucinous colloid ca.  Tip: Sign an authorization of release of information. Call medical records and get all your reports. Screw waiting for physicians and surgeons to call you back. Although it is torture waiting for the pages to come off the fax machine it is better than waiting for the phone to ring. I don't know why they can't email reports but they won't. Unbelieveable. But then you're on what I like to call the breast cancer train, stopping at Consultation, Surgery, Consultation, Radiation, Hormone Therapy, etc. All Aboard?  I spent 16 years in the medical field and once I got a hold on my fear and emotions, I began doing my homework.  We are all in different places in our lives when breast cancer strikes and it is so important to identify what matters to you right now.  Is it surviving because you have children, family? Is it  fear of being deformed, disabled or dependent? I think that it is very different for everyone. For me, I am not afraid of dying. I've outlived my family, am in the middle of a divorce after 23 years of marriage. I don't want to be deformed, disabled or dependent.  What I have chosen to do, I would not recommend that anyone else does. My  tumor is  stage llA. 3.1 cm, the margins were clear the lymph nodes negative. Pure mucinous colloid carcinoma. My MRI was clean as a whistle but for the remaining tumor.  I had told the surgeon who did the second surgery that I would not be doing the 5 years of hormone therapy. This did not make him happy. Too bad.  I have used my body hard over these years, my spine looks like a jigsaw puzzle although it works fine for me. I rode hunter jumpers competitively for 35 years. I cycle, hike, climb and dance. I'm not going to risk weakening my bones and yes they explained that I could take another drug to counteract it. I also have acid reflux; oh yes, and there is another drug I can take to counter act that. Just think, I'll be done with the hormones at age 70! I'll have my whole life ahead of me! Who are they kidding. Then I started talking to friends who have had radiation. Some, my younger friends and especially those who are on the heavier side have done well with the radiation. Pretty much a breeze for them. Others, my older friends, not so much. Deformities of the breast, rib fractures, fatigue.  Three of my older friends have developed other cancers from the radiation. I'm 105 lbs, 5'1"  why am I going to have radiation to perfectly healthy tissue? This is not a tumor that matastizes. The 10 year survival rate is 90% and the average age of us girls who get this tumor is 72. I think the 10% who didn't make it probably died of old age! In any case my choice is .......I am doing nothing further after the second surgery was done to clean up the first surgery and reconstruct my breast. I plan on doing a lot more research, talking to the oncologist but pretty much I am happy with my decision. Actually this breast cancer has probably saved my life. On the breast MRI they noticed an abnormality which on further CT scan turns out to be an aneurysm of a branch of the superior mesenteric artery. Now this could kill me if it bursts which it is very likely to do and soon.  I'm having surgery to repair it in the next few weeks. I am asymptomatic for the aneurysm so I probably would have just bled out one night after having a bad stomache ache. This surgery is a lot more frightening then the breast surgery. So ladies, I am going to be a research study of one.  I'm just going to see what happens in the next few years. They will be monitoring me with breast MRI's for probably the next 5 years by then I'll be 70 and if I get another tumor along the way it will depend on my mind set at the time, what I will choose to do.  I am off the breast cancer train. The doctors are furious and in complete disbelief, which is a nice way of saying they are pissed that they can't bully me into the routine therapy for a stage llA breast cancer.  If it had been a more aggressive tumor I might have chosen differently. I will never have chemo under any circumstances, or do Hiroshima on my body and take those nasty hormones. I have stopped taking the estrogen that was feeding my tumor for years. Like I said, this is not in any way a recommendation as to what is right for anyone else. But more to the point: remember  you have choices, because they say this is what you have to do doesn't mean you have to agree to do it. It's your body, your life, you decide. Ask lots of questions, do your research and the best of luck and best of health to all of us. As Steve Jobs would say, "don't waste a minute living someone else's life"

April

• Unknown
    edited October 2011

April

• Unknown
    edited October 2011

April

• voraciousreader
    edited October 2011
    ONON

I just read a magazine article which says " ...Sheri's diagnosis was invasive ductal carcinoma with mucinous qualities, a rare breast cancer but, fortunately, one that rarely spreads to the lymph nodes..". Seems to me (though I lost it) my pathology report said I had mucinous qualities. Could this shed light on the mystery of why my 4 inch whopper didn't go to any lymph nodes? First I've ever heard of this! anyone know anything else about mucinous qualities? (and all along I thought it was my steely inner willpower or the indole 3 carbinol or all the cabbage juice I drank! lol)

• voraciousreader
    edited October 2011
    voraciousreader wrote:

Flannelette...  Mucinous breast cancer comes in varieites depending upon how much mucin is contained in the tumor.  If 90% or more of the the tumor contains mucin cancer cells then it is referred to as "Pure" mucinous breast cancer.  The only problem with this diagnosis is that because it is a rare type of breast cancer, pathologists do not see it very often and sometimes there might be a question to whether or not it is "pure" or not. Nowadays with the Oncotype DX test, I don't think the distinction of whether it is "pure" or not is as important as it once was. 

Which leads me to "mixed" mucinous breast cancer.  A tumor that comprises between 70% and 90% mucin is referred to as "mixed" mucinous breast cancer.  Mind you, in both "pure" and "mixed" you can have some "traditional" idc-nos cancer cells in the tumor. And that leads me to

"Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with mucinous features,"  the type mentioned on your pathology report which is a tumor comprising MOSTLY traditional IDC cells and less than 70% mucin cancer cells.

"Pure" mucinous breast cancer, along with several other rare "Pure" types of breast cancer (Tubular, Papillary) are consider "Favorable" histological sub-types of breast cancer.  "Favorable" means that they rarely metastize.  And yes, they can grow very large without ever spreading.  In the medical literature there is one sister who had a Pure mucinous breast cancer that was 23 cm and it did NOT spread.  I saw the MRI of the tumor and it looked like a third breast.  Really.  I'm not kidding.  Enormous.

Bottom line is that there are three different types of classifications for mucinous breast cancers with "pure" being the most "favorable."  Keep in mind though, with the OncotypeDX test, there are many sisters who have traditional IDC-NOS tumors and their OncotypeDX scores are lower than those with "Pure" mucinous breast cancer.

• topless
    topless Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2011

I washed my hands of this cancer after I had bilateral mastectomies done.  No radiation. No chemo. No hormones. I got breast cancer for my 60th birthday and didn't want to spend any more of my time feeling crappy and ill from adjunctive treatments with dubious postitive impact on my quantity of life.  My quality of life means much more to me now.  P.S. going braless IS adding to my quality of life - freeeeedom!

• voraciousreader
    edited October 2011

Linda-Renee... Some of my Canadian relatives are visiting me now and I am thinking of you. I hope you and your loved ones are enjoying a nice Thanksgiving. Wishing you the best!

• Linda-Renee
    edited October 2011

Thanks Voracious reader. I had a wopndewrful Thanksgiving, especially as the Tumour Borad decided that all they needed to do was to switch me from Tamoxifen to Arimidex which, up to now, seems to be a lot easier to tolerate. No chemo!!! I have alot for which I can give thanks...

I hope that you enjoyed your visit with your Canadian relatives. 

Linda

• voraciousreader
    edited October 2011

Linda-Renee... Hopefully all will sort itself out now and the AI will do the trick. Keep us posted! Funny how this journey contains a road map with so many directions.... If we only had a perfect compass...

• Linda-Renee
    edited October 2011

Thanks VR.

Now that there is a bit of distance between me and the Tumour Board, I have a (in retrospect) funny story. The night before I had to go to the Tumour Board I woke up in the middle of the night in a panic. I dreamt that  the doctor told me that he was sorry but they had found lesions in my liver and lungs. The doctor was the doctor from Coronation Street and I recognized him so there was a part of my brain that knew that it was a dream but that was it as far as sleep went. When we got to the hospital the next morning, a man came into the waiting room and called my name and asked us to follow him. He introduced himself as the chaplain. Now, even though I knew that it was just a dream my mind just went numb and even though he just wanted to tell us about the various services that are available, all I could think was that the dream was true and he knew... Of course, that was absolutely NOT the case but it just goes to show you what the mind can do when under stress... I think that they could have someone else deliver the little talk, like maybe the oncology nurse or even a volunteer!

• voraciousreader
    edited October 2011

Linda-Renee... Since it is bad enough that we think about bc when we are awake... I can only imagine how awful it must feel to also dream about it!! I think on behalf of the sisters you should head over to The Bonfires of the Goddesses thread and throw into the fire, on our behalf, all dreams and nightmares associated with bc!

• Sherbear
    Sherbear Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2011

Hi VR and Flannelette, that was me in that article from Chatelaine. My large tumour was apparentely due to the fact that it was a 3.3cm cancerous tumour (with mucinous qualities) inside a 6 cm tumour. They've lead me to believe that it was encapsulated or something like that. Does that make any sense? I keep meaning to get all of my records and go over everything, but I keep forgetting because normal life just keeps getting in the way and I'm feeling good, lol. 

• voraciousreader
    edited October 2011
    Sherbear...Laughing  Great to hear how good you are feeling! Laughing
  • Sherbear
    Sherbear Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2011

Hi VR! Thanks so much! So far so good with the Tam, but I'll be going for a TVU at the beginning of november so hopefully I didn't just jinx it. 

Thanks again for all of the research you do on mucinous BC (and everything else!), you are a treasure! Smile

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2011

Oh! voracious reader and sherbear - this is interesting! I did get your pm, VR, and thank you, since nowhere else could I seem to get any info, but did not get back to you because I STILL have not phoned to get another copy of my pathology report. I had given it to my homeopathic practitioner and she kept it and...after a few years...she died of colon cancer.

so I didn't bother until mucinous qualities popped up in Chatelaine, and my mind was going way back...and... I'm sure I read that on my report, thinking huh? at the time. but all this might just be in my imagination. though now, for sure, I'm calling my cancer centre tomorrow and solve (maybe) this mystery once and for all. I mean, like, how could I have had a 4 incher and it didn't go to the lymph - it is my perpetual mystery and source of great joy.