Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Cold Caps Users Past and Present, to Save Hair

Comments

• Snoopy73
    Snoopy73 Member Posts: 118
    edited June 2011

Thanks ladies for your advise on latisse..

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited June 2011

Thanks you all for posting your great experiences on the Cold Caps? thread. 

I felt like just my post would not make much difference...

• sebm9
    sebm9 Member Posts: 488
    edited June 2011

Sashette: In about a week, I'll be one year PFC. Can't believe it!

Snoopy73: My nurses told me I wouldn't lose my lashes or brows (4TC). My brows began to thin after #3, and about 2 weeks PFC pretty much disappeared, but began regrowing almost immediately, and fast. I didn't notice I was losing lashes until they started growing back in! I think I might have had some permanent lower lash loss, might be too soon to tell, not sure. Nothing I can't live with. I asked my medonc about Latisse and she would not prescribe it, because it can permanently discolor your iris (I believe). 

Have a great weekend ladies!

Susan 

• mtri111
    mtri111 Member Posts: 67
    edited June 2011

HI Folks,

As a BIG fan of latisse, here is the reality: this is a great product and is generic bimatorprost. it was first discovered as a glaucoma drug.

There is a lot of myth out there about what it does.. the one about discoloring or darkening the eyes is one of those. When used properly, it is like painting on eyeliner, right at the lash line. This normal and easy usage (recommend a fine line bursh NOT the fat ones they sell with the product), does NOT cause any darkening of irses.. that effect is apparent what was observed if the product were dripped INTO the eye (like an eyedrop..presumably, how it is used for glaucoma.

For the cosmetic effect of enhancing eyelash growth, there is no reason to worry about eye darkening.

I used it before treatment..loved  it.. during.. kept lashes mostly, with a bit of scant thinning towards the end... and continue using and loving this product. Also, during tx, i  used it lightly on the brows.. that worked too.

the one downside is the cost, but guess what: google "generic latisse" and there are a number of vendors who sell this products for about $35. per bottle.. it is the same stuff, arrives sealed and sterile and it works just the same. I have used the generic for well over  a year now.

Best to all!

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150
    edited June 2011

Hi all:

Did anyone have heart palpitations after your chemo as the steroids are coming out of your system?  If so, what did you do for it, if anything?

Thanks, Arlene

• mdg
    mdg Member Posts: 1,468
    edited June 2011

I just wanted to give a PFC shed update...as you know this past week has been horrible...my worst shedding to date.  I was petrified to wash yesterday.  I threatened to sedate myself with xanax first!!! (LOL!)   I did manage to wash yesterday and it was not as bad as I expected.  I did lose a lot when I combed my hair first but during the wash not that much.  I did continue to shed a lot yesterday...picked tons of hairs off my arms all day and evening (a lot unfortunately).  I am going to remain optimistic that this will slow in the next few days.....The best news is I still have a full head of hair.  The bottom looks scraggly and needs a trim desperately since my hair has grown about 2 inches since starting chemo.   I hope to color the hair with a gentle dye as soon as this phase of shedding has stopped.....that will make me feel like a new woman I am sure! 

For all you gals getting ready to start.....it will be ok.  Just expect there to be shedding and expect to panic a little here and there.....I have come to realize that is normal and part of this process.  A bad hiar day is better than a no hair day, right????

• Lmflynn
    Lmflynn Member Posts: 273
    edited June 2011

Arlene...I had heart palpitations....once it really scared me...my heart rate went over 200, but it went away and onco definitely said steroids...she did say if it continued we'd get a scan...it did not continue...

Mdg, yeah!!! See you can do it!..it's all about perspective and keep looking in the mirror, even though you've lost a lot...you have a lot more on your head! So glad to hear the positiveness in your post.

I have a question ...I seem to be having horrible scalp dryness (or dandruff) and I've tried everything....scared to use a dandruff shampoo...any suggestions? And is this part of the "healing" process....

• ColdCapsUserSF
    ColdCapsUserSF Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2011

Hi All,  Love this blog!

It is Day 18 for my sister on AC, and she still has all her scalp hair!!

mtri11: Thank you for the info on Latisse, your well worded blog is appreciated. I was wondering if you need a prescription for the 'generic Latisse' and how you ordered it (on-line?). Also, it say on the 'brand Latisse' packaging to use 'only' the brushes they supply, and only use per brush. If you use the fine line brush for application, can you re-use the same brush?  Thank you.

• keeppositive
    keeppositive Member Posts: 181
    edited June 2011

Hi All: I used the generic latisse all thru chemo and used it on eyelid like an eye liner and on brows, just as mtri11 said above. I used the thin brush that came with mine. I washed it in cold water each night and reused it over and over, just as I would a real eyeliner brush. I am 7 weeks past chemo and haven't lost lashes or brows yet. It seems to have worked so far.

Nancy

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited June 2011

Hey penguinistas: I'm showing up for #2 of TC tomorrow with all my hair. :)

I have been shedding but know it's expected. I just want to shock the negative Nellie nurses!

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited June 2011

You go DebRox!

I am so tempted to go back to my negative Nellie nurse since it is OVER A YEAR since treatment and she insisted that it would fall out after chemo...

• Julia1969
    Julia1969 Member Posts: 85
    edited June 2011

Hey Lmflynn,  I had the itching and flaking scalp.  The dermotologist suggested tar shampoo and/or a prescription topical (she gave me Fluocinonide).  I figured soaking in tar shampoo wasn't exactly "babying my follicles", so I tried the topical and it worked.  It didn't make my my hair too greasy, so I was still able to do the reduced number of shampoos. 

• sebm9
    sebm9 Member Posts: 488
    edited June 2011

Yay DebRox! Can't wait to hear what that nurse has to say!

Susan 

• mdg
    edited June 2011

Deb Rox....you show her!  Oh and tell her the rest of your body hair has already departed.......to prove a point.

• Lmflynn
    Lmflynn Member Posts: 273
    edited June 2011

Julia, thanks much...it's really bad...will ask doctor tomorrow....

• arlenea
    edited June 2011

Hooray DebRox!!! Congrats.

• arlenea
    edited June 2011

Has anyone noticed their head being unusually warm?  The past few days I've notice the top of my head is much warmer than before but that could be because my had doesn't have all the hair as a buffer like before.  Hair still hanging in there and hoping after I hit 28 days PFC, things will get even better.  Shedding is minimal at Day 8 PFC.

• nmoss1000
    nmoss1000 Member Posts: 324
    edited June 2011

Hi Arlene, my head has been on fire the last 2 days and I have had massive shedding going on for the last 4 days and I am 23 days past my final TX # 4. I  need to wash but I am afraid. I am losing hair like I did on my big shed after TX # 2.. Any idea when this should stop? Any one else experience big shed after PFC. My scalp is tingly and burning, is this a sign of more shed?

• mdg
    edited June 2011

NMoss...I have been shedding like nuts for the past week and I finished chemo on 5/4.  It is my WORST shed so far...literally hair falling all the time.....I hope it tapers...it's freaking me out. 

• nmoss1000
    nmoss1000 Member Posts: 324
    edited June 2011

Me too, so close to shaving off, to stop the tingling but I am holding on, I have a few bald spots but I can hide them so far knock on wood! I cannot believe how much I am losing. Thank goodness this is the last one.

• mdg
    edited June 2011

I feel your pain.  I don't have any bald spots but worry I will soon if this continues!  I think it may be lightening up a bit.....maybe I am just hoping it is....I will let you know tomorrow! 

• arlenea
    edited June 2011

No tingling here but just the warm spot on the top of the head, doesn't hurt or anything, just weird.

Saw my BS today and all is well there.

Arlene

• Sashette
    Sashette Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2011

Sebm9 congratulations on 1 year PFC!

Lmflynn. My scalp was crazy itchy. I upped my good oils intake ( flax omega3 olive oil) it helped. I am interested in what the Dr recommends to you.

I posted last week my heavy heavy shedding PFC simply stopped over night. It has not returned as of today. I was bracing myself for a 'new normal' of heavy shedding. Now I am adjusting to very few strands coming out when I comb and wash my hair. So have faith all of you experiencing PFC shedding. My shedding lasted about 3 1/2 months PFC. I still have a good amount of hair, the length is bottom of my shoulder blades. I did not develop bald spots from the
    PFC shedding. Above my ears where I lost the most hair during chemo is now covered with hair. I am looking forward to my first warm wash, but I think I will wait the full 6 months.

• keeppositive
    keeppositive Member Posts: 181
    edited June 2011

Hi Ladies,

It seems that many of you are experiencing the same things, heavy shedding post chemo and itchy, tingling and warm scalp. I had heavier shedding post chemo, and maybe a little itchy and tingling, but not warm--or not that I noticed-I wonder if the kind of chemo you had has something to do with the after effects? I had TCH x6. I never lost that much hair, but more after chemo than during. I have short hair and it isn't thick, just average. 

As Always, Keep Positive!! Keep Smiling and Laugh whenever possible!!

Nancy

• Anniemomofthree
    Anniemomofthree Member Posts: 370
    edited June 2011

Hi All - 

It is great to hear everyone's experiences.  I had TCH x 6.  I had a lot of shedding during chemo.  Now that I am 7 weeks out (time flies) I have been hardly shedding.  But I had really thick hair prior to chemo.  It is shoulder length.  It is still growing in like crazy.  Still too chicken to do a real color.  Getting used to the gray/blond look.  Oh, and it is darker in the back (that is new post chemo).   

I have been washing about every 4-5 days.  I have been using a big paddle brush and brushing like the pre-chemo days (if you know what I mean).  I have not had the itching. I  have had occasional sore places on the top of my head, which I had during chemo - feels like my follicles are sore at times.  No bald patches.  It just feels thicker already!  

It is great to be PFC!  It goes by so fast...of course I think that NOW!  Happy day everyone!

Annie 

• mdg
    edited June 2011

I am still shedding bad.  THis past week has been the worst shedding ever!!! I was hopeful it was letting up a bit yesterday then I gently unclipped my hair and a ton came out before bed...........poop!  I keep telling myself "tomorrow it will start to lighten up"......I am trying to remain hopeful but I have been saying this for over a week now.......enough already with the shedding!    OK - I am done venting about that right now. 

I do also get some sore spots on my head up on top.  Some days it feels like the hair was pulled too tightly back or something when it wasn't.....then other days I don't feel it at all. 

• Anniemomofthree
    Anniemomofthree Member Posts: 370
    edited June 2011

Maria - it is going to stop soon.  Be patient (I know that is hard) but we all have had this happen at some point in the process.  You have a ton of thick, beautiful hair, GF.  No one is noticing. Before you know it, there will be no hair falling...hang in there!

• LivCar
    LivCar Member Posts: 153
    edited June 2011

ok - so i'm thinking of getting a wig.  I'm half way thru treatment.  4 more Taxols to go.  Shedding is consistent and i lose A LOT with each wash.  My hair is there, and it's wondeful for around the house or to the park.  90% of my life is not affected by how crappy it looks. But i'm thinking i have 2 more months, plus PFC shedding to go.  I can only imagine what it'll look like when it's done. My thinking is that at least i'll have a nice wig so i can go out to dinner with my hubby, or the movies with my kids and not be self conscious about the grey, stringy hair that's left.  So many women said they wore hats while doing the PCCs ... anyone have thoughts on an occasional wig??

• arlenea
    edited June 2011

LivCar:  I was at your point of getting a wig but I've survived without one and unless you knew me before you wouldn't know I'd lost 60% of my hair.  I never let it down and won't until some fullness starts coming back.

When I had my 3-month exam with the BS yesterday, she was so happy to see my hair.  She's from the UK and from Marsden Hospital so very familiar with the caps.  She asked me if I'd be willing to talk to her ladies who are interested in keeping their hair and guiding them to which I replied, ABSOLUTELY.  I'm pleased to help where I can. 

My pregnant daughter is coming this weekend and she hasn't seen me since Christmas and she'll notice the difference in my hair but she'll be pleased to see I have hair and no wig.

Arlene

• mdg
    edited June 2011
    Patzee:  I have posted a few photos on this thread of my progress....back during chemo and around when I finished tx (I finished 5/4).  Look back..you will see I have a full head of hair still but it's hard to watch more and more keep falling out at this point.  If you look back you will see my photos between the dates of 3/2 and 5/4.