Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cold Caps Users Past and Present, to Save Hair

Options
1711712713714715717»

Comments

• morrigan2575
    morrigan2575 Member Posts: 798
    Options

I used Dignicap since my place had it. It works, I saved probably about 70% of my hair, and it all grew back. I was on Taxotere so my big fear was permanent hair loss.

If you do Dignicap don't be afraid to comb you hair, I learned that the hard way. If you don't comb once a day it gets ratty and makes the loss even bigger. Also, while they say no harsh chemicals that doesn't mean leave in conditioners, you can use the natural (no parabims/no sulfates). Just don't use the leave in conditioner on treatment day.

Good Luck!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

@jwhite80, welcome again to the community! As you can already see, you're sure to get great support here!

While you wait for some more experience and advice from others here, we wanted to point you to a couple of links that you might find helpful:

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment-side-effects/hair-loss/cold-caps-scalp-cooling

https://www.breastcancer.org/podcast/scalp-cooling-preserve-hair

https://www.breastcancer.org/podcast/paxman-scalp-cooling-patient-assistance

We hope this helps! Please come back and let us know what you've decided and how you're fareing through chemo. We look forward to supporting you!

—The Mods

• janiehs
    janiehs Member Posts: 36
    Options

I also used Dignicap - mostly because that was what my cancer center had. I wasn’t as lucky as Morrigan, I probably lost 50% of mine - almost all on top so I don’t think the cap ever fit correctly. But I too was worried about permanent hair lost since that is a possible side effect of taxotere. My hair all grew back - ironically it is thicker now then before I was diagnosed. It was somewhat of a pain, and not particularly cheap, but I would do it again if I had to. Good luck!

• aborayis
    aborayis Member Posts: 261
    Options

Any advice for how to deal with hair now different lengths as the new hair comes in for someone who wants to keep a long-ish length hairstyle? I used Dignicap 7/2023 - 11/2023 and like you @janiehs lost about 50% and mostly around the top of the back area where I think the fit was not ideal. Now it’s regrowing and so far the hair seems to be like my old hair - thick and straight. My hair that didn’t fall out is a few inches past my shoulders and the regrowth is about an inch long. It looks kind of crazy.

• janiehs
    janiehs Member Posts: 36
    Options

aborayis - your regrowth sounds a lot like mine. My hair was well below my shoulders when I cold capped and then I ended up with almost none on top and long fringe all the way around. It absolutely looked crazy. I wore a wig for awhile but once the new hairs got to be a couple of inches long, I gave up and cut the fringe short so I sort of had a pixie cut look. Interestingly, I actually kind of liked the short look on me (my hair has been long since I was 12 - I am now 70), but I let it grow out again. It took about 2 years for the top to completely catch up to the bottom layers but I now have hair half way down my back again.

• ashhoward15
    ashhoward15 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi! I started treatment 12/26/23 using the Dignicap. Treatment plan was ACT but I had a severe reaction with Taxol on my second infusion, so I switched to Abraxane with Cytoxan for my final two infusions. I have one infusion left to complete treatment and want to look into products to help with hair regrowth for scalp, eyelashes and eyebrows. Any recommendations? I've lost about 60% of my hair I would guess, no bald spots just thinning so far but I had very thick hair to start with.

• mandy23
    mandy23 Member Posts: 104
    edited April 6
    Options

@ashhoward15 -

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting to the end of your treatment!

This thread might help if you want to do a bunch of reading: 😊

Everyone is different. My hair was thin to begin with, so a year later, I am still struggling to get it to grow back. I finally have enough to 'comb over' the bare spots. Some people seem to have it grow back so quickly that I am jealous! 😊 It seems many people (me included) take Biotin to attempt to help. I am also using Rosemary Oil twice a week and limit my hair washing to those days. The brand I use is Mielle, but there are several out there. Does it work? Who knows….since they say it takes about 6 months to notice, it's kind of hard to tell. At least it gave me something not too difficult to try.

Good luck to you!