Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Accidentally took extra tamoxifen

Options

Ack!  I've skipped it before but never done this.  I really wasn't thinking.  Will it cause any harm?

Comments

• dee1961
    dee1961 Member Posts: 902
    edited August 2009
    Options

Probably nothing will happen, can you call the pharmacy and ask?

• lisa-e
    lisa-e Member Posts: 169
    edited August 2009
    Options

I've done both (forgotten to take a dose and taken an extra dose).  I didn't notice any ill effects from taking the extra dose.   

• Member_of_the_Club
    Member_of_the_Club Member Posts: 263
    edited August 2009
    Options

All I could find on the internet was that if you miss a dose you shouldn't double up, so even though I thought it was probably fine I called poison control and they said it was fine.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited August 2009
    Options

How much did you take?

• Member_of_the_Club
    Member_of_the_Club Member Posts: 263
    edited August 2009
    Options

An extra pill -- so 40 mg instead of 20.  Its now the next morning and i had no side effects at all.

• Karenp62
    Karenp62 Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2009
    Options

I can't imagine accidently taking too much tamoxifen....I usually accidently/on purpose don't take enough. LOL!!!!!

Karen

• IllinoisNancy
    IllinoisNancy Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi,

I've accidentally taken a double dose on a couple of occassions and I felt fine.  I think if it was really that bad for you, they would have major warnings. 

• ibeejojo
    ibeejojo Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2009
    Options
    My first onc prescribed 40 megs a day so I was on it a couple of weeks before I found out she made a big mistake!  Got rid of her...lol.  In my research I found in some country's like the UK 40 mgs is used as a daily dose....and sometimes 30mgs.  I wouldn't worry.  How about getting one of those little pill containers marked the days of the week?  It helps the hubby remember his pills.  Lord knows the lower the estrogen the more forgetfull we get.....take care...JO
  • lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited August 2009
    Options

I've done this b4!!

Woke up really early and half aseep took a tamox. Went back to bed.... woke up..and took another!..lol. 0ooops..

• KEW
    KEW Member Posts: 450
    edited August 2009
    Options

It is my understanding that the original dose was 40mg/day, and they have since reduced it, so just think of it as having a retro med day.  From what I gather they decided that 20mg offered the same benefit as 40, but fewer SE, so they changed it.

Karen

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi, I did this, too with both arimidex and tamoxifen.  Onc said to skip the following day, as it is simply a matter of keeping it in your bloodstream.  Two pills = 2 days.  No harm done.

xoxo