Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

PINS AND NEEDLES ????

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Member Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in Lymphedema

I couldn't find a thread on the LE forum where I thought this should go, so I'm starting a new one. I am 5 yrs out. About a year and half ago I finally found a LE therapist and was dx. w/ mild LE in the arm and a little worse in the breast.

I recently had a hospital stay for IV antibiotics (cellulitis). I was told not to do the massages for several weeks or until all the redness went away. The red went away and the extra swelling was better.

I woke up this morning with a new sensation. It felt like really sharp pins and needles in my upper arm and in the arm pit. It was really bad.

I did the drainage massages and it got better but now is really sore in that area.Has anyone else ever had that? Would sleeping on that side cause that? (I just can't stay off my right side - tried pillows and everything.) 

I know there are a lot on here that have serious LE --- and I would like to know if you ever had this pins and needles sensation?

Thanks.

JO

Comments

• hollyann
    hollyann Member Posts: 279
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Jo....I recently found out I have mild LE in my arm...I started having the pins and needles in my arm and on my back on the LE side about a year ago....I never mentionned it to my therapist or doctor cause I figured it was form nerve damage.....Now you ahve me tinking maybe I should mention this to me therapist......I wish you well and hope you find some relief from this.....I hate the pins and needle feeling........

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Joe, I have the same thing with my LE, I was told by my Cancer Dr

that I might have fibromyalgia. It hurts to have my cat put its paws on my

legs or arms when its red or very sore, That alot of people get it after breast

cancer. I hope she is wrong, But yes it hurts even when I am wrapped.

God bless You. Debbie

• inspiewriter
    inspiewriter Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2009
    Options

I still have a lot of numbness in upper back of arm--I wonder if you had numbness that is now like a limb "waking up?"  You know how you get pins and needles when your foot is asleep and then blood flow returns.

• hollyann
    hollyann Member Posts: 279
    edited August 2009
    Options

inspie that is exactly how mine feels 2 1/2 years out but now I have neuropathy in my toes and they feel numb too.....The back of the arm is the worst though.....

• inspiewriter
    edited August 2009
    Options

Yep, same as mine on back of arm. I think it's damage from the surgery --it's been 4  years for me.

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2009
    Options

I am 15 plus form diagnosis, my reconstructed breast is numb, but still sometimes I get this horrible itching,and pain that drives me crazy, my doctor tells me it can be that tiny nerves are growing,also a weird feeling in my armpit, maybe another long term survivors will share how they feel after several years. I still can not sleep on my operated side.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited August 2009
    Options

Jo, goodness! I'm really sorry about this new fuss and bother (not to mention pain!)Frown When I'm overstraining my arm I get a pins-and-needles feeling that tells me to stop, but nothing like as painful as what you experienced. I'd be alert for sign of infection if it returns, but otherwise, good riddance, and I hope it doesn't get that bad again.

As for sleeping on your arm, I had to break myself of the habit too, and it sure wasn't easy. Lost a lot of sleep over it. I tried pillows and even tried trading sides of the bed with my DH, but nothing worked. Finally I decided I'd never be able to quit sleeping on that side, so I made a point of stretching my arm out in front of me when I went to sleep instead of tucking it under me as I had in the past. It took a few nights of determination and restlessness to try and manage that, but it worked, I think because I wasn't trying to sleep in a different position anymore, just keep my arm out from under me. It also helped to wrap it just before bed so the wrapping was still fresh and  fairly stiff -- easier to keep out straight even when I was asleep. With LE in both arms this is a major problem, but sleeping on my back gives me a headache, so no way was that going to happen. Compromises, compromises!Undecided

Be well!
    Bonnie

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited August 2009
    Options

I get pins and needles if I lie on my LE side.  I've kept my arm propped up with pillows since surgery and simply seem able to continue with the habit.  Luckily I can lie on my back and on my other side, but definitely I cannot get away with lying on the LE side. 

• inspiewriter
    edited August 2009
    Options

Yes, 15 years out is awesome!!

I sleep on my bad side all the time, couldn't stand not to. I just try to keep it extended out as Binney said.  I really couldn't tuck it under my pillow anyway since I wrap at night.

• tchmuzik
    tchmuzik Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello - ladies - thanks for this thread.   I am 1 year from mastectomy and lymph node removal.   Have not had alot of problems until recently - guess I overdid it this past weekend and the right arm is really achy and numb - of course it's hard to tell because I have so much numbness in the arm and in the armpit anyway - guess it will always be there.   Yeah  every time I ask about it - they just say - will probably stay that way.   Some answer.   Guess they really don't know.   Anyway - my question is this - I'm having breast reconstruction on Monday so this new "numb" "tingly" feeling is scaring me.   Have any of you ever heard of wearing a compression sleeve during surgery?   Let me know.   I plan to call my Lymphadema therapist tomorrow and try to talk to her.  I'm afraid the "trauma" to the breast area may lead to MORE problems - what do you think?   I'm nervous enough about the reconstruction - having delayed DIEP in Atlanta (I live 7 hours away).   It's something I really want but at the same time - . . . . . . . . well - you gals know what I mean.    Thanks a bunch - stephanie

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited August 2009
    Options

I wonder if wraps would be what you'd wear in to surgery?  It would sure stop them from trying to poke a need in or take bp.

• inspiewriter
    edited August 2009
    Options

I have a bright pink sleeve I ordered that is supposed to be worn into surgery if ever needed again.

It it is called a "G sleeve" and cost about $10.

www.g-sleeve.com

• HensonChi
    HensonChi Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2009
    Options

Has anyone else had numbness, pain and tingling from the arm into the shoulder blade area on the surgery side?  I have learned I can't sleep on that side, but I sure have some tingling etc....around my shoulder blade area.  I am about 1.5 years out.

• Ding
    Ding Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Options

I'm 12 years cancer free and my last breast reconstruction was 5 years ago.  I've had to have about 4 reconstructions because of problems  associated with the surgeries.  Within the last few days  I've had tingling and pinching around the area where my nipple should be .  That is numb there though.  It started out with a painful pinching for about 1/2 day  and tingling for a couple days, then it went away for a few days.  Now just a slight tingling almost like a flutter under the skin came back.  Has anyone ever had this?

• juju426
    juju426 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    Options

I have had pins and needles today by the breast area that has undergone reconstruction. I had the surgery two months ago. Its like a sharp pin feeling in the bottom area of the reconstructed breast. I am wondering if it is the nerve endings waking up in that area. It hurts and is annoying when I feel this.