Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage II w/Lymph Node Involvement

Options

Comments

• LeggyJ
    LeggyJ Member Posts: 195
    edited January 2010
    Options

Yahoo!!!  Congratulations Warrior!  I'm right behind you.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2010
    Options

Congratulations on your 2 years of Survivorhood,Warrior!

Many hugs.marcia

• Kathy16
    Kathy16 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2010
    Options

I joined a while ago, but have been reading and Jaelsne, what a relief scans were normal.  I understand b/c after dealing with one primary, they found (by accident) another primary that hadn't shown on scans.  Suddenly, I found my onc in a much more serious mood - and he sent me for brain, chest, abdomen and pelvic CT with contrast.  I had everything scanned.  It was scary and I was convinced I was Stage IV.  Everything was normal, though, I had second surgery, node negative and low onco on 2nd. 

Like you, I had 3 nodes on the first one, also E+ and my 1st tumor was much larger than yours.  Two top-notch major medical oncology opinions concurred that given the surgery, chemo and Tamoxifen that I had about a 90% chance of not seeing it again.  Second primary node neg. and had low oncotype, so stats were even higher for that one. 

Nothing in life is certain, but I would agree with all of the positive expressions to you posted - the odds would seem to be in your favor. 

About the D3 - my gyn said she wanted me on at least 2,000 IU daily along with calcium.  I didn't know calcium should not be taken within 4 hours of Tamox - so thanks for the info. I tested low for both D and B12 after chemo, so I take B supplement, D and the calcium (but won't take it near Tamox anymore!).

• jaelsne
    jaelsne Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2010
    Options

Kathy16,

Thanks for writing.  I'm sorry to hear that you had a second breast cancer, but also glad to read that it seems relatively benign and that your scans were clean.  

I have a pretty conservative oncologist, and he sent me for full body CAT scans this summer, and of course I had a recent brain MRI.  As you stated, every time I need a test of some sort, I'm convinced it will be positive.  I wonder how many years it will take to begin to trust our bodies once again?

Your  original tumor does seem similar to mine.  Perhaps it's because mine was a grade 3, or just because I have a conservative doc, I went through a more aggressive treatment regimen.  I had 6 t/c sessions and 6 weeks of rads after my mastectomy.  My odds are pretty good after all that, but not 90%.  

The thing that really ticks me off is that I had found this tumor when it was in the duct.  It was very palpable, and probably stage 0 when I first found it.  The gyny told me that it was normal, and when I questioned him about why it was hard, he gave me a two-word answer, "breast structure."  I showed it to him two more times over the course of a year, and each time he swore it "didn't feel like cancer."  When I had a mammogram, it came back as a "benign ductal calcification." My gp sent me back to the breast center for a diagnostic, but they refused, telling me to come back after it had been a year--since the area in question "was benign."  I finally ran back to my jerk of a gyny and DEMANDED to get tested, because it was 1.3 cm by then.  He looked at his records (hadn't noted any of my complaints), told me not to worry because it had "absolutely no characterics of cancer," and sent me for a diagnostic.  He didn't rush it because there was "no hurry."  It, of course, was cancer--they thought it was stage 1 at the time, but the darn little thing had already hit three nodes.

I kick myself constantly for not getting a second opinion earlier, not switching gynys because I never liked the guy, etc.  But I also have to be thankful that I could feel the dimensions of the lump.  Had it been deeper in the breast, it may have been diagnosed too late. 

Don't know why I have rambled on like this.  I'm actually doing pretty well this week, especially since I had a clear MRI.   I went to a private guided imagery/hypnotherapy session yesterday, which I found especially helpful.  And tonight is the big Servan-Schreiber lecture that I've been looking forward to.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

Jo Anne 

• Kathy16
    Kathy16 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2010
    Options

JoAnne - Wow - how the heck can a gyn feel a hard lump and then diagnose and declare it benign without a biopsy.  I'm really glad you're ok and that it was caught - and your story is a reminder to us all to get second opinions when our guts tell us! 

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 371
    edited January 2010
    Options

Jo Anne, It just goes to show you how different docs lead to different results.  I was breastfeeding my 3rd baby at the time I felt my lump.  It felt like a tiny, hard jelly belly.  My first appt was with a nurse who felt it and said, "yep, I can feel something there, but it doesn't feel like it is breast cancer.  It's probably a fibroadenoma.  Pregnancy and breastfeeding can bring those on blah, blah, blah, and you're so young, but let's go ahead and get you a mammogram appt just to be sure."  So, I went to the mammogram appt and then on to have an ultrasound.  The doc who did the ultrasound didn't think it was anything other than a fibroadenoma either, but said she couldn't be 100% positive without a biopsy.  Thank God she didn't just dismiss it!  Of course it was breast cancer, grade 3 AND Her2+.  (BTW--even the notes she put in my records that I read when I took them to get a 2nd opinion said "impression--LOW suspicion of malignancy!" 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2010
    Options

We all know that living in hindsight will only make us frustrated even more....I, too, wish I would of acted sooner. I was 39 and went to a new family practice doctor since we had just moved to a new state. She took a health history. I told her how at the age of 35, I had a breast reduction followed by a staph infection. She thought it would be wise to get a mammogram to check the infection. (Bless her heart..it was her due diligence that saved me) Anyway, I did that in July. They said something is goin on but its probably just scar tissue and to come back in six months. I wish I would of insisted THEN to get a biopsy..but young and naive..I went on my merry way. Just over six months later, I was diagnosed with an aggressive little sucker. I had three tumors in rt breast and as we all know here...made it to a couple lymph nodes.  I shiver to think I could of known 6 months earlier BUT I shiver even more to think it could of been once I turned 40 which was 6 months AFTER my original dx..and I think that would of been a whole different story. Anyway...I just thought I would share my Dx Day.."d-day" lol , too!! PS Hey Weety...I am her2 and estrogen +, too!! Are you on Tamoxifen??

• jaelsne
    jaelsne Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2010
    Options

Weety and Warrior--Thanks for sharing.  I think the biggest lesson I've learned from this is that we need to be our own advocates.  I think the fact that bc is so scary makes it harder to insist on checking things out.  I WANTED to believe the doc who said "it doesn't feel like breast cancer."  Now I know better.  Fear kept me from getting second opinions and stuff.

I saw Dr. Servan Schreiber on Tuesday night and he was GREAT!  I left the talk feeling informed and energized.  I'm pretty tired right now, but I can give you more of a synopsis another day.

Jo Anne 

• LeggyJ
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hi girls,  I just got the results of my blood tests, and my Vit.D level is 33.  Red flags went up about me being pre-diabetic and I have to test again in 2 months.  So, the holidays are over, and I'm back on a more balanced diet. Warrior, how much D3, do you take? The doctor, didn't say anything about that test.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hey Leggy -- Hope you can ward off the diabetes.  I was unable to when I was pre-diabetic a few years ago, despite losing 25 pounds and improving my diet. 

What is the desired level for Vitamin D?  I don't know that mine was tested but saw my Onc this week, who said I should take between 1,000 and 2,000 IUs a day (but this was not based on my actual Vit D level... just a general recommendation).

Cheers,

Lilah

• LeggyJ
    edited January 2010
    Options

Thanks Lilah!  That sounds about right to me, on the Vit D.  Today, I went grocery shopping, and bought all the healthy stuff, moving all the bad stuff out of my pantry.  My dad had adult onset diabetes, so I really don't want to go there.  I'm only about ten lbs. over weight, and now that the holiday's are over, it will be a bit easier to take that off.. No more candy...Gee what next, can't a girl have a little fun, or do they have to take away, all my vices.  

• Lilah
    edited January 2010
    Options

Aw Leggy tell me about it!  I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2005.  I think you can only do your best at this point.  Cut out sugar, increase veggies.  You know what to do :)  It's DOING it that is hard!  I'm rooting for ya :)

Cheers,

Lilah

• alison34
    alison34 Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2010
    Options

this thread is so great

i have just been diagnosed with bc at 34 and have positive node involvment and 2 small children - this have frightend the hell out of me

got my operation mon 25th of jan then wait 3 wks for results on the nodes

reading your posts has really lifted my spirits and put alot more into prespective for me

thankyou ladies your all wonderfull people

alison xxxxxxxx

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2010
    Options

Alison~ Thinking of you ! Wow you have a lot on your plate.  I hope you have someone coming in to take your children for awhile.

How do you know you have node involvment if you haven't had surgery? What kind of BC did they say it is?

Wishing you the best....keep us posted.  Keep your head in the game. 

Balsie~

• arnie2two
    arnie2two Member Posts: 374
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hi ladies!  I was just wondering...any advice for questions for my onocologist for my first visit since finishing chemo in Sept...and rads in December?  I've  been writing a few down...like bone pain from Armidex?  But, I keep just staring at the paper....  Any advice would be welcome!

• LeggyJ
    edited January 2010
    Options

Arnie, I had a list, when I saw my Onc on the first visit, and I left it in my truck.  This last time he just looked at the computer, and read back to me all my complaints.  Nothing had changed, but I had widespread pain, so he made an appt. for me to have a bone scan.  It was just "age related" arthritis, from head to toe.  I'm on tamoxifen, and that has bone pain as a SE.  But enough about me, what do you want to tell your Onc.?  Are you having any more SE's?  Your Onc. will check your chest, neck and listen to your lungs, but that was about it, and not much more on my one yr. visit.  My Onc. is a little bit cool, though, and not one for chat.  Oh, and I don't have any more blood tests from my Onc., either, but everyone is different. 

Good luck, and you'll probably leave his examing room, thinking, was that it?  Gee, what was I all worried about. At least until the next appt.

• arnie2two
    edited January 2010
    Options

Thanks Leggy!  I honestly just started thinking about it this week... my last rad was on Dec. 14th and then I had a 5 week break from doctors, clinics, hospitals, etc.  Loved it!!!!  I was just wondering if there were any pertinent "standard" questions to ask.  Yes, I'm having se's... I get a stabbing pain in my treated breast, someone told me (here on the treads), that could be from radiation damaging nerves in that breast...which makes sense.  Also of course I'm on Armidex and feel like a 90 year old woman as far as the aches and pains go....  Fatigue is on going...I still do everything I need to do but need to rest more... blah, blah, blah !  ha!  Thanks again for answering me. 

• LeggyJ
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hi Arnie, I didn't know what to ask, either.  Maybe someone else, had some idea's.  My Onc. doesn't seem to have much time in the appt. anymore.  I think the hospital, is being effected by the economy and has them seeing more patients, with a stricter time schedule.  He was very rushed.  So it will be good to have a list. I'm still struggling with fatigue.  Chemo/rads. kicks your butt, and I think I aged 10yrs. in one yr. The pain in your breast is normal, I'm just now able to wear a bra, and it's been a little over a year since rads.  Some people just heal slower than others.  My hope is that you will be the one who heals quicker!!!!  It's really hard to see yourself as a normal person, again, and not that 90 year old bald women.  Me I looked like a 90 yr.old bald man....even worse!

Keep in touch.

• Warrior517
    edited January 2010
    Options

Arnie...Good luck with your upcoming appt. I know its so overwhelming but I am so glad you are getting well versed on these boards. It took me a long time before I posted. I wish I would of so much earlier than I did.  Make sure you have Emends for nausea etc...ask the protocol to control side effects.  You will find that you see your Dr near each chemo so each time you can discuss what is happening. I took a sleeping pill during that time and at the same time, I got a metal taste in my mouth...well...it ended up being the pill side effect and NOT chemo. So make sure you learn about the main side effects for any drugs you take. Don't be afraid to take xanax or melatonin or something to help you sleep. Come here anytime you need us...we are all here!!

• arnie2two
    edited January 2010
    Options

You guys are the best!!!  I have found sooooo many caring, precious women on these threads...  Leggy I'm glad you mentioned that you're a year past rads and still struggling with fatigue.  (Wish you weren't of course).  My family wants the old "arnie" back and I just can't seem to get the energy I had pre-treatments! 

Warrior...I'm sorry, I didn't mention that I already went though chemo.  4 AC and 4 Tx.  That was from March to September.  I then did 33 rounds of rads....  I just can't believe the difference in my energy levels and how fast I get tired out! 

Again, you guys are great and I will visit often!  I to to rad doc on Mon. the 25th and onoc on the 27th.  Am preparing my questions for them both... although the rads doctor told me during treatments that fatigue wasn't from rads!  HE'S A MAN AND NEVER EXPERIENCED IT PERSONALLY!!!!

• LeggyJ
    edited January 2010
    Options

My rads doctor, said fatique can be a SE for  a long time, some women it takes a year or more.  You've been through a lot, give yourself time to heal. I did 8 rounds of TAC, so I know what you've gone through. Thank God, I only had to do 25 rads...

• arnie2two
    edited January 2010
    Options

Glad to hear that you have a doctor that believes fatigue is an SE...  I LOVE my onocologist... he's become a great friend and encourager... but, it's a different story for the rads doc I have.  Didn't care for him from the first day I met him...my sister was with me and she's a venal doppler tech and she didn't care for him either.    I'm gonna make my family read your post!  Lol..

This is how I feel most of the time...

• Warrior517
    edited January 2010
    Options

Arnie..I am sorry....I missed the boat here big time. lol  My DH was admitted into hospital because he has bad afib and he needs to be "zapped" in the morning. I am working on  little sleep and lots of stress...lol Yet, I come here to my girls to vent and try to help..even though you are done with chemo..lol 

As for the fatigue...it is allllll normal. It takes time. Don't be so hard on yourselves. Let the body heal...xoxoxoxo

• LeggyJ
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hey Warrior!  Sorry to hear about your DH, and I hope all goes well tomorrow!  You help us so much, we would like to be here for you. 

• Lilah
    edited January 2010
    Options

Aw Warrior take care of yourself (as you take care of your DH).

Re: Stabbing pains... I have had them in my breast since my first lumpectomy... continuing through second and now, MX.  I was told it's nerves regenerating.  I have never had rads so don't know about that.  Just another part of the fun of BC :)

Lilah

• arnie2two
    edited January 2010
    Options

Ohhhhh Warrior!!!  I can soooooooo relate...while going through chemo my dh had two TIA's.  It was a very stressful time!  My thoughts will be with you...and dh.

• LeggyJ
    edited January 2010
    Options

Your right, Lilah, my surgeon said I wouldn't even really start to heal until after treatment, and he was right. 

• Lilah
    edited January 2010
    Options

Cute new pic Leggy!  Is that a cat in that photo? (Other one you were in a truck with a dog, I think)... or maybe it's the dog and my glasses suck.

Lilah

• ktsmny
    ktsmny Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hi... this is my first post. I had one positive node. Lumpectomy, 4 AC, 12 Taxol, 33 rads Just finished Jan 6, 2010. My question is pain. I have a very painful knot near where the lymph node dissection was. Do others have this and does it get better?

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2010
    Options

thinking about you Warrior...hoping everything goes ok for your husband and that somehow you get relief from some of the stress.

warmly,

Balsie~