Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage II w/Lymph Node Involvement

Options

Comments

• London-Virginia
    London-Virginia Member Posts: 109
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi Susan!  I am further ahead than you - I have also added other "liquids" to my fluids intake, they come in tall bottles and  can be fizzy or they can be red, but overall, they make me feel loads better.  Though I loose the ability to walk in a straight line, hmmmmmmm!  xx  Beautfiul sunny day here in London so off to do my 10k steps.

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited November 2009
    Options

Susan...your log in name is michlady...does that mean you are a fellow Michigander??? I am!  If so, I can direct you towards the best wig shop etc....

• WORRIED55
    WORRIED55 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

thank god for your good news. had stage ll and had to have my nodes removed. at the  time i didnt understand what the doctors were saying, its been 9 years and i know that  God is still  on my side . thanks for the uplift. God Bless you

• Leslie1962
    Leslie1962 Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2009
    Options

If you don't mind me asking, where in Michigan are you from (upper peninsula, southwestern, etc). I am also in Michigan (Southwest). Would your wig shop be close to me?

• Warrior517
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi Leslie...

Susan's Special Needs...on 696 and Woodward! Susan, the owner, is not only a BC survivor but was also an oncology nurse!!!

When you say Southwest..what area do you mean??? I am in Metro Detroit..( near Rochester area)

• ratsalot
    ratsalot Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hey people! Just got diagnosed with stage IIB. One lymph node. Starting four rounds of AC this Wednesday, one every 3 weeks, followed by Taxatere, 4..one every 3 weeks. What scares me is this "chemo fatigue". I am a VERY active person and have a very busy job and am wondering if any of you have experienced this and how you got through it.

• kbram
    kbram Member Posts: 63
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hey ratsalot.....I am in the Atlanta area, Kennesaw, actually.  I had four rounds of taxatere and cytosin and my main complaint was the fatigue.  Felt like I was hit by a truck, I told my husband it took all my energy just to breathe.  Never experienced anything like it...even though it does not last too long.  Actually, complete exhaustion began on the third day after first chemo and it only lasted about a day and a half.  After that fatigue for about a week and a half.    So as you can see it has different levels of fatigue.  Nothing really that you can do about it other than stay very hydrated and eat well.  Good luck on Wednesday.

Kathy

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi ratsalot: I'm stage IIB too, with one lymph node.  Trying to decide between more node dissection or go straight to chemo. Have you had surgery?  Was your 1 node from a SNB and did you consider a full dissection? - just would be interested in hearing your experience. PM me if you wish. Thanks!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi, fellow stage 2bers and one lymph noders. Yes, the chemo can cause extreme fatigue, especially the Taxotere. But, the taxotere is great for the complexion. Hang in there, ladies, there is a beautiful light at the end of all this. God bless you all, Kathy

• Kellyd0613
    Kellyd0613 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    Options

Luah

I was diagnosed with stage IIA in early 2005.  Originally diagnosed as DCIS, during mastectomy they found four invasive areas, (1mm-4mm) and 1mm in the sentinel node.  My breast surgeon presented my case to her tumor board, and their decision was no further lymph nodes needed to be removed since chemo was now a necessity.  I had dose dense ACT then Herception now Tamoxifen. 

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited November 2009
    Options

Thanks for posting Kelly0613:  The tumour board must have figured that the chemo would wipe out the node cancer, right?  That's what I am thinking too - plus in my case I will have rads as well.

• Lauren3
    Lauren3 Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2009
    Options

Susan/Michlady -- I had 4 positive lymph nodes also.  I think you're the first person I've seen on this board who had the same number of nodes as me. 

I got a synthetic wig because the real hair are soooo expensive.  I did see a real hair wig at the salon though, and it was beautiful. 

Good luck with your CT and bone scans, I know how nerve racking that part is!!!  Please keep us posted on your results.

• Kellyd0613
    Kellyd0613 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    Options

Luah,

Yes, that's what they figured, plus this way no risk of lymphadema.   They also decided against radiation (can't really remember why)Surprised , but i think it was the fact that the invasive areas were small.

Kelly 

• Warrior517
    edited November 2009
    Options

As for the fatigue, I think you will find everyone is a bit different. For me, I would have chemo on Mondays and then be on steroids for three days following which kept me feeling quite energized. But, then come the end of the week, I would kindof crash for the weekend. BUT, come Monday, all back to normal. No two stories will be alike, yours has yet to be written so just take it all one day at a time!

• Leslie1962
    Leslie1962 Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2009
    Options

WARRIOR517 - I am on the other side of the state by Battle Creek. Looks like that may be too far. I will keep looking, but will keep it on the list for now.

Off to bed as my double mastectomy is tomorrow and I only have 10 minutes left to eat anything. Might as well be sleeping rather than eating this late at night. 

Thanks!

• AnnaM
    AnnaM Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2009
    Options

I'll be thinking of you today, Leslie.

In terms of wigs, I got a synthetic one and nobody (exc. for my close friends and family who saw me without the wig most of the time) knew it was a wig. Call the American Cancer Society and ask them if there is a "Look Good Feel Better" class scheduled in your area. Many hospitals sponsor this class once a month. They'll show you different types of wigs (my local hospital even had wigs to lend out, you can wash them and they're good to go) and how to use eyebrow pencils etc. so you don't feel weird without your facial hair. They'll teach you how to care for your wig as well. There are some strange things you wouldn't think of that go along with losing your hair, like a runny nose, for instance. Those little nose hairs really do their job it seems. I doubt you'll want to invest a whole lot of money into a wig anyway. You might find yourself wearing a nice turban, a scarf or just a fleece hat much of the time. Real hair wigs are very hot. There are light synthetic ones and heavy synthetic ones. The light ones are obviously less uncomfortable. There's a mail order company that sells oh so many different styles and colors of wigs for low prices (http://www.paulayoung.com/). They also sell turbans and other stuff.

Anyone who has had surgery to the breast is at risk for lymphedema, regardless of the number of nodes taken. Do yourself a favor and check out the lymphedema (LE) board here on this site. I had some LE issues one year post-surgery (on the side where two nodes were taken), caught it early and followed Binney's (one of our kindest members here, a real darling) advice. I have been okay since I learned how to avoid stressing my system and how to care for myself if I do. (Knock on wood.) I do not have to wrap. Many do. it's good to be in control. Don't expect any advice from your healthcare providers. Medical techs don't know there is such a thing as lymphedema. Doctors don't want to know anything about it. it's something they can't control and they don't study it in medical school. Nobody knows who is LE-risky. It has to do with how your lymph system works and everyone's is different, just like that thumbprint.

I hope all of you who are starting chemo have found a group of chemo sisters here. If not, go to the Chemotherapy thread and look. You'll get so many tips for how to deal with any issues that might arise from people who are going through what you are going through. And many women who are a month or so "ahead" of you will post on your thread with their input. I remember being totally unprepared for the steroid high I got six or so hours after receiving Decadron with my Taxol infusions. I'd be totally psyched and would clean all my closets and drawers and then look for more to do. Unfortunately this always happened at night, so there was nobody to sing and dance with and it didn't last into the next day. It only happened 12 times. I haven't had to clean my closets or drawers since.

Hugs to all of you!

Anna

• Warrior517
    edited November 2009
    Options

Leslie...ALL our prayers, thoughts and positive enegry is coming to Battle Creek today. Please keep us posted...we are here for you!

• jezzy234
    jezzy234 Member Posts: 127
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hey warrior, I am inbetween Mount Pleasant and Big Rapids, but I work in Ionia.  Ionia isn't too far from Battle Creek!

• janloy
    janloy Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2009
    Options

Warrior517: I went to Susan's Special needs too and unfortunately just referred to co-workers of my husband there. I'm convinced there is a BC epidemic. Found you and this link by searching for fellow Michiganders. My diagnosis doesn't fit your chat room. I just wanted to say hi.

Jane

• Warrior517
    edited November 2009
    Options

Hi Jrgolomb, actually, Leslie is in Battle Creek. Our "sister" is going thru a dbl mx today so our prayers are going to her....I am in Metro Detroit BUT love that area...FSU Grad!! Spent 4 great years up there and met my hubby, too!

• cagio1
    cagio1 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I too am happy to find this thread.  It does leave a pit in your stomach when you see "thank god, no lymph node involvement".  I am on my 5 round of chemo (4AC and 4 Taxol)  The AC was tough at the end and the Taxol seems to be a little better.  I just turned 41 and have a 6 year old.   My cancer was  calcifications 3 mm in length and I underwent a entire axillary dissection, 2/27 nodes positive.  Get scared sometimes.  I had a lumpectomy instead of mastectomy under advisement of my surgeon at Sloan.  Clear margins.  I hope I dont look back and regret not having a MX.  I have to work harder at thinking positive but the chemo kinda "breaks you down a little".  Glad I found this thread.  FINALLY SOME POSITIVE OUTCOMES FOR PEOPLE IN SIMILAR SITUATIONS AND STAGING Laughing
  • Warrior517
    edited November 2009
    Options

I had to cut and paste mmm5' post from the earlier pages....It is worth reading AGAIN and AGAIN!  This thread is here so we do feel we have a safe place to share our fears, frustrations but also receive compassion, HOPE and lots of love!! Welcome!!!!

mmm5 wrote:

lymph node - schmymph node

I know I don't have positive lymph nodes but I just wanted to tell all of you ladies that every lady I know personally that has had breast cancer (friends and family) have been lymph node positive and all are doing great.

My stepmom (3 positive nodes  14 years out)

My stepaunt   (too many to count dxed at 40 says atleast 10 positive nodes) going strong 23 years later

Director of HR at my company (1 node large 5cm tumor 7 years out)

Close friends Godmother (6 nodes one big tumor in node) 6 years out

Longtime friend of family (8 nodes highly Her2)  6 years out

Mom at my sons school (3 nodes 5 years out)

Hope I did not intrude but wanted you to remember what L Nodes are for 'catching the Cancer"

Stay Well, and BELIEVE

• Warrior517
    edited November 2009
    Options

Cagio...You are down 5...is there 3 more? I used to think of chemo as my own little Star Wars story! I never thought of it as poison but actually like my little warriors that were going in and kicking some a@@!! I understand the challenges of young children at home. I have three. My youngest last year had just turned 7. He never wanted to see me bald so I was constantly covered. How is your 6 year old doing?

• jezzy234
    jezzy234 Member Posts: 127
    edited November 2009
    Options

Ah, Warrior.  IC..... THat's what I get for speed reading!  LOL.  Sorry, Leslie. 

• Kathy16
    Kathy16 Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2009
    Options

Beth,

I had the 4 Taxotere/Cytoxin rounds (every 3 weeks) in the summer.  At first, I thought I could take a "long weekend" and then work.  I'll be honest, I could not.  However, my HR manager anticipated things might change once I experienced the chemo and they let me take each week after chemo off.  I had chemo on a Thursday and took the whole next week and a day off (so complete recovery was about 10 days or so.  Then, I had another week and half till the next chemo - I worked those 8 days - which was good for me.  Although, I worked, came home, ate, slept.  My family did the meals, housework and took care of me. 

You may or may not be able to work in between some of your treatments, but if you do, take it easy after work and that's probably all you can do.  My last chemo ended in Sept., I am now on Tamox. and many nights I still need to just rest after work.  Make sure your oncs are good and give you meds for the side effects - Emend and, if that doesn't work, Sancuso patch you can ask about.  Take good care of yourself.

• cagio1
    cagio1 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    Options

Warrior - My son is doing ok.  I explained to him that I was going to take Superman Drugs to kill the cancer and every time the drugs found a cancer cell, a hair would pop out.  He is very curious and because I have not lost all my hair, I show him the patches of fuzz I have.   I keep a hat on in the house and wear a wig out.

I do have three chemos left.  It has been very difficult because I have other health problems (ie. asthma and ulcerative colitis)  I was at the gastero today due to problems and I had to have 2 transfusions already due to low hemoglobin.  I was ready to quit chemo a few days ago, but feel better now and am ready to chemo #6.  I still worry about the choice with the lumpectomy v. the MX but the surgeon recommended the lump and gave me the stats.  Seemed like the right decision at the time.  Thanks for reading my post and once again, thanks for starting this one.  Very inspirational.

• AnnaM
    AnnaM Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Cagio, my surgeon explained to me that the "outcome" for women who have a lumpectomy with clean margins vs. a mastectomy are the same. The reason I had a bilateral mx is that my suspicious cells were widespread and it would have been hard to get clean margins. What was the right decision at the time was the right decision, period. Feel proud that you are doing everything you can to get through this. When is chemo #6?
  • Lauren3
    Lauren3 Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I had rad #5 yesterday and I can't believe how exhausted I am already!!!!!!  I am so ready to be done!  I also picked up my Tamox and will start today.  Just wanted to check in with you all.  Leslie, thinking of you!!!!!!
  • Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2009
    Options

Dear Cagio., I just love the explanation you gave your son about the SuperMan Drugs. That was so creative! Good luck with your chemo #6.  You are on the final stretch You are going to do great, and your hair will come back beautifully, probably curly and thicker. Everyone said how cute my hair was, because it had never been curly.God bless you, Kathy

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519
    edited November 2009
    Options

Ok, I have an appointment with a radiation oncologist today, and last afternoon they called to set me up an appointment with an oncologist (other than my oncology surgeon) for the 17th "to discuss the course of my treatment". Yesterday I saw my PS and he said no chemo until I am fullyhealed - he thinks 2-3 weeks.

To me it looks very backwards and just to make me see doctors to pay the visits. Why do I have to see the radiologist BEFORE the oncologist when it's not even known if I'll have to have radiation or not? Discuss the course of my treatment - I do understand that. I am afraid that I will be quite ornery during the visit today. Esp. because they had sent me in the mail the paperwork to fill in, and it had all kinds of questions that in my mind are "that is none of your business" like "first name of your mother". What has the first name of my mother (who, btw is 8,000 miles away, in Romania,  and doesn't speak English) to do with my BC?

I know I won't have my BF coming in with me for the visit - he always gets upset when I "chew" people out. I'm afraid I was the 'angry' type after the surgry I had - with the nurses, whenever they were even 5 minutes late with my pain medication. I am the kind of patient who thinks (and isn't afraid to say it loud) "I pay out of my nose for my health insurance, and your paycheck comes from my pocket, so if I say I'm in pain, you better give me something for the pain or it won't be nice". He was there with me and he got upset for me "yelling" (well i couldn't really yell, you can't do that after a 10 hour surgery wtih that tube in your throat, it's more like a hoarse whisper)at the nurses, because they had to go ask approval from the Dr. who was on the floor, etc etc. I said "guess what? I don't give a dam. I'm in pain, they better not be 5 minutes late than the time they're supposed to bring me my meds. I'm already upset that I was put directly on pills after the surgery, not on IV with pump, and I'm tired of havng them bring me my meds half an hour late".

Anyway. We'll see what the visit today says. Sorry. I guess I vented again.

Hugs all.