Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage II w/Lymph Node Involvement

Options

Comments

• dpstarr
    dpstarr Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2009
    Options

Warrior517..... thanks for getting back. I figured that is what was happening but my onco had said that most women in their 40's stayed in menopause. But nothing has gone as he said so why am I surprised. Why no Tamoxifen? I was having such strong hot flashes, I couldn't image them getting worse and I was feeling overwhelmed by everything. We had lost our health ins., and both my husband and I worked in construction (economy working against us at that point). 

Which is why we moved back to CA. Hubby is working and I'm looking. We just needed to keep things simple for a little bit. Once we get back on our feet I sort it all out again.

Thanks for the input and I wish you well in New Orleans. 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited December 2009
    Options

I understand those crzy hot flashes. I had them for a year. Funny thing is I am starting to get them again, but not as bad as chemopause!

I am sorry you had some work challeneges. I truly understand it. We are in Detroit and one of the highest unemployment rates here. As a matter of fact, the day I leave for New Orleans is the day we find out if hubby is getting laid off. I keep telling myself that God must have some exciting new plans in store for us! :)

• AnnaM
    AnnaM Member Posts: 136
    edited December 2009
    Options

I sort of wish my period had come back after chemo. Going through regular menopause might have its drawbacks (like hotflashes, etc.), but the suddenness of of chemo-induced menopause was really hard on me. Everything changed overnight and it has taken me three years and a hip replacement to feel as happy as before.

Yes, the curls do eventually even out. I loved my two+ years without a blowdryer. Back to normal there now too.

Good luck on your job search, dpstarr. I hope you get health ins. through your hub's job and find a great onc.

• stephanie1
    stephanie1 Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2009
    Options

HI Warrior

Yes pre ostopenia is showing the beginnings of possible osteoporosis - if left untreated it could turn in to it. They found it because my oncologist ordered a bone density scan - as part of the biophosphonate trial. I had planned on starting vitamin D on my own after I consulted my oncologist at my 3 months check up this week but it seems the results of my test have made it pretty much mandatory. I am glad they did the test now because normal testing is done around 50, so I have plenty of years to get things back on track. My primary conducted the test and has advised me to take a vitamin D/Calcium supplement so I am going to ask the oncologist what his opinions are as well. I would think that the clodronate I am taking now too on the study would help too?

You know it is so interesting to me about the vitamin D phenomemon. My mother has Multiple Sclerosis and now her sister has been diagnosed (this same sister also had DCIS at about my same age) My mother also has pre ostopenia but started supplements as well.   

• friscosmom
    friscosmom Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi everyone, I'm new here, just diagnosed 11/5/09, had my lumpectomy yesterday and was disappointed to learn that the sentinal nodes came back positive; I guess we all pray for clear results. I won't know all the details on the rest of the lymph nodes until Thursday but I'm assuming based on the size of my mass, 1.8 cm and the sentinal results that I fit into this category. I've been reading some of the posts here, it's all so overwhelming, so much information. Helpful information but sometimes I feel like I'm learning a whole new language.

• Lauren3
    Lauren3 Member Posts: 37
    edited December 2009
    Options

Friscosmom, sorry that you have to be here but you have come to a great and supportive place.  I too had a 1.8 mass with positive lymph nodes so we have something in common.  Good luck to you as you wait for the pathology.  I know how hard the wait is but it does get easier after that!

• friscosmom
    edited December 2009
    Options

Thanks Lauren3, definately not a place anyone would ever choose to be but thankful to have found a group so helpful and supportive.

• AnnaM
    edited December 2009
    Options

I agree about the learning a whole new language thing, Friscosmom. Glad to see you found us, but sorry you had to come looking. By the way, who is Frisco?

• friscosmom
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi AnnaM, Frisco is one of my horses (he's the one in my profile pic I just added).

• AnnaM
    edited December 2009
    Options

What a beauty he is. Both our horses, Fleet Thing and Byeway, have gone on to horse heaven. I think horses are such dignified creatures. Fleet was sometimes pretty mischievous, but what grace! I miss having to go out rain or shine (through mud, snow and ice too) to give them their sweetfeed every afternoon. We pretty much spoiled those guys toward the end since they were retired and all.

Anna

• friscosmom
    edited December 2009
    Options

Thank you and sorry to hear about your horses, we've been through that with a couple of ours. Sounds like your horses had a good life, they should be spoiled in the end. :) My horses have helped me through some tough times in the past and I know they'll help me get through this too. I know that sounds silly if you aren't a horse person but there is something very calming and peaceful about being around horses; not to mention that they depend on me and that will help to keep me going.

• MAMAQ
    MAMAQ Member Posts: 140
    edited December 2009
    Options

Warrior... I think you already left for N.O. but I just wanted to send my best wishes and let you know that I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.  I wish you a speedy recovery and safe journey.

Jo

• mmm5
    mmm5 Member Posts: 797
    edited December 2009
    Options

Warrior

I can't remember but how does your Onc feel about you being on Tamox and being Her2?

• loulou40
    loulou40 Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2009
    Options

I was dx at 40 after finding a lump myself 2.1cm then another lump 1.5 cm showed up on mammagram that nobody could feel. Path showed triple positive and 2 nodes positive.

I've finished Chemo and Rads now, just doing Herceptin 3 weekly and taking Arimidex as long as I stay post menopausal from Chemo otherwise will have an Ooph. Do have Ostopenia from Menopuase being small framed and below average weight most of my life, score just above the dx of osteoporosis so now taking Vit D and calcium as well as being monitored every 6 months.

Chemo is just a distant memory now and life it pretty much back to normal now, very busy with 3 little ones and working full time.

• Warrior517
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi Friends! Well, I made it thru Stage 2 of my DIEP procedure! I am taking lots of pain meds and trying to walk when I can. I am still in New Orleans but heading home tomorrow!!

Its hard to tell how I truly look since I am in a mega binder right now. lol

My oncologist hasn't said NOT to take Tamoxifen. I was estrogen and HER2 positive. I heard there is some info about contraindicated....what have you heard???

• AnnaM
    edited December 2009
    Options

Congratulations, Warrior!

• MAMAQ
    MAMAQ Member Posts: 140
    edited December 2009
    Options

LouLou... Isn't it amazing how little kids can get you back to "normal" real fast. Especially around the holidays.

Warrior... Glad surgery went well for you.  Doing okay myself.  I'll be sending your DH healing thoughts this week too.  Tuesday?  Anyways, have a safe journey home.

• Warrior517
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi Girls!! I am HOME SWEET HOME now!! Hubbys procedure is in the am...we have to leave at 5:30 am. I have to take some pillows to prop me up and my pain pills...lol

I am tender, sore and feel like I have a sunburn, but much better than Stage 1. I didn't get the nipples as I had planned cuz she had to do some major revisons on breast scars. Overall, NO REGRETS and love my Ta-tas!!

Will keep you posted on DH! Thanks for the prayers and positive energy!! Its working!!

• dsub
    dsub Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2009
    Options

I have a question about mets. or rather my fear of mets. Just had a pet scan . results are clean. Had a  bone scan earlier this year and some spots showed but was written off as arthritis. That's fine. In the meantime, I feel like crap. my hips hurt,  and my ribs are sore. My mind is still not correct. Last chemo end of Oct. 2008. recon surgery December 12th, 2008. Does the fatigue come from the chemo or depression or what. I feel like something is wrong but I can't put my finger on it. Anyone else like this?

• kbram
    kbram Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2009
    Options

dsub...........I notice that you are ER positive.  Are you on tamoxifen or an AI?  If so, some of what you are feeling can be side effects from that.  Good luck and talk to your dr...there are treatments for all side effects.

Kathy

• Kathy16
    Kathy16 Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2009
    Options

I had general bloodwork done by my primary about 2 months after chemo and I was low in both Vitamin D and B12. He gave me a B12 shot which helped a little and my onc said I could add those vitamins daily. Exercise also helped a little, but I think the chemo stayed in my system a very long time. Then, I had more surgery and they found another primary, so that has knocked me a little flat. However, before the latest surgery, I do think even 3 months after the chemo I still was trying to get my old energy level back. If it's any consolation, I'm also on tamox. with some bone aches and pains and so far all scans are ok. Hope this helps.

• dsub
    dsub Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2009
    Options

Was on tamoifen but was taken off of it when the bone pain began, May 09. The side efffects were nearly making me bed ridden. Could barely walk for the joint pain and overall  pain.

• GryffinSong
    GryffinSong Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2009
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome! I do have osteopenia, which is the precursor to osteoporosis. My last test, taken a month or two ago, is -2.2. A year ago was -1.9. Osteoporosis starts at -2.5. My hair is lush, wavy, and much whiter than it used to be. But it seems to be coming in darker underneath. It's perhaps an inch and a half or more now and I'm contemplating a trim!  :) Never thought I'd feel that way, as my hair was halfway down my back when I was diagnosed. Stephanie, my nodes were the same: one sentinal and two other. The sentinal node was the one that had "burst" already, though they said the spread was VERY tiny.

• Warrior517
    edited December 2009
    Options

I am home from New Orleans from stage 2 now. Its been just over a week and healing well. Hubby lost his job the day I left for surgery....arrrghh he was a manager for large Pharmacuetical Co. God has a plan...I guess I should say...I can't wait to see what he has planned next!! :)

Exciting news....USA TODAY has picked me for an article on Tamoxifen and Genetic Tests that should be out in Jan 2010...I had a photographer come here 5 days post op to take tons of pics and I was all swollen! lmaooooooooooo Oh well...chaulk it up to a new adventure..right??

I am thrilled to see new sisters are finding us!! I am on the boniva study...for those with osteiopenia..are u able to join study???

• Kathy16
    Kathy16 Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi!  I wanted to reply to MamaQ's question about expander implants which was a few pages ago and also encourage Day after surgery and looking forward to chemo.  We know you can do it!  Just concentrate on recovering right now! 

I had one Stage 2 w/ nodes and my signature reflects a second primary - I can't get whole story to show on my signature for some reason.  So, I had one exchange and now I have a second TE.  For me it has taken some time for the silicone to soften up a little and I can see after a few weeks time it is feeling better and softening up, so don't be discouraged if it's not immediate.  It also looks much better.

All the best to everyone else for a wonderful holiday and continued healing.  I know it's hard b/c one day I feel confident and positive and the next day I feel completely depressed.  Probably normal - thank you all for your great posts.  It helps me to read them.   

• blondie45
    blondie45 Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2009
    Options

According to post of Stephanie1 above I belong here instead of stage III. I really haven't known for sure which stage I am since diagnosis. At one of my appointments I asked my doctor and he had the nurse look it up, and she came back saying stage IIa (which is consistent with stephanie1's post above fitting in stage IIa I believe). The only reason I was questioning whether I was stage III is because I think there is a website out there that states if you had over 3 positive lymph nodes you belong in stage III. I have also seen the site stating as stephanie1's post above does. I really don't want to question my doctor and nurse's answer but was just wondering.

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527
    edited December 2009
    Options

Blondie...hey first of all bottoms up to anyone from Wisconsin!

Y'know, my surgeon said he would call my stage an "aggressive 1B", but my onc is like no, you are a two. He says staging is really kind of passe, that tumor biology counts a lot more than stage.

• blondie45
    blondie45 Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2009
    Options

cookiegal - do you have any idea what he means by "tumor biology?" Is this something I can find in my path report?    Not loving Wisconsin right now, although not sure I would want to be anywhere warm right now with the stinking hot flashes!

• Warrior517
    edited December 2009
    Options

I think Tumor Biology will refer to the grade.ie.1, 2 or 3 (3 being most aggressive) Also, if it is er, pr or her2 positive vs negative. Size is also an issue, too.  I am sure others will add to this....

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527
    edited December 2009
    Options

I think er/her status and ki67(proliferation rate) along with oncotype. Probably throw vascular invasion in there as well.