Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

Hey Snack-y Snacksters, I will heed your advice if ever I am able. My choices (here in my still undisclosed location) are decidedly very un-cosmopolitan. You can read that as not too much beyond the ever-present F/L product assortment at the grocery, and whatever might be stocked at the one nearby "health food store."

The next is an out-of-season memory for me. Every year, my one uncle took me to the Shrine Circus, which was in the Winter. I vaguely remember the tigers jumping thru' the hoops and the human cannonball, but I CLEARLY remember how I had to get the SAME balloon every year. It was the double balloon, with a mouse head balloon inside a clear balloon. The "Mickey Head" balloons are still a staple of the Disney empire in today's world, but my memory is just of some knock-off,, non-TM variety that could only be gotten once a year at the circus. (If you guessed that my balloon got away, at least once, before we even made it back to the car, you are correct!)

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Oh - I never had one of those. Wow!!!

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

oh want one of those balloons!

I've never been to Disneyland and want to go - pls covid go away while I'm still well enough to travel!

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

CeliaC- I also like the Vegan Rob's but occasionally I have to buy a bag of Funyuns (onion flavored styrofoam circles). No nutritional value whatsoever.

I was just the other day thinking of how I miss the mood rings from my elementary days. Although mine would be permanently colored "Crotchety" these days

• minustwo
    Options

Watching girls jumping rope at the playground made me remember "double dutch". Wonder if anyone still does that? I did take them some sidewalk chalk and they set up for hop-scotch. And I've been wondering if I could still balance on a Pogo Stick. Likely not, but they sure were fun.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,820
    Options

I remember the Shrine Circus, here it was a spring thing, and a school field trip. What I most remember is the Shriner coming on the bus and making sure every child had some money to spend. I don't remember the balloons, but I do remember getting popcorn or a candy bar. And the little cars that zipped around driven by men wearing funny hats! One year there was a picture of elephants in a local hay field, the farmer let the circus folks turn the elephants loose to graze on the way into town.

I don't know if anyone does double dutch jump roping any more. I do see hop-scotch squares on playgrounds and side walks now and again.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    Options

There are still Double Dutch Jump Rope championships, to the best of my knowledge. I do not see children in my neighborhood out jump roping, but do believe there are lots of neighborhoods where it still may be an "art".

DogMomRunner - My dear departed Dad bought me a mood ring and I kept it for many years. They were fun! Believe my daughter discovered and confiscated it.

Also, remember the shriners in their little cars being part of any parade (Memorial Day, 4th July, etc.) held in my hometown. Good memories of a simpler time.

• celand
    celand Member Posts: 223
    Options

I remember the song "Double Dutch Bus" when I was in middle school. I never went to a championship.

I remember mood rings, I did have one as a kid and in high school, but they are now long lost.

The Shriners Circus was something that I went to as a kid (makes me think of peanuts, popcorn and cotton candy) also would see Shriners riding their motorcycle in Mardi Gras parades.

Have been to Walt Disney World in Orlando once when I was about 13 years old and then my husband and I took our girls several times as we had a good family friend who lived in Orlando. I don't remember seeing those balloons or I would have gotten one for my girls, they look so cool!

Celand

• elimar
    Options

I'll make this post a 2-fer about jumping rope.

Good times back in childhood. I know what double dutch is, but my neighborhood only mastered the single variety: Two twirlers, one jumper, one rope. Part of the fun were the jumping rhymes, and all you jumpers must remember this one..."Cinderella, dressed in yella, went upstairs to kiss a fella. Made a mistake, kissed a snake, how many doctors did it take?" (Commence counting the jumps to see how many doctors.)

Here's something from the early MTV days (and it's a memory from 37 years ago--hard to believe!) Whether you like the song (I do) or not, you can catch some pretty good double dutch jumping going on in NYC in the 80's. The chorus name-checks one of the premier girls' teams of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6Co7EMNCU

• minustwo
    Options

Oh my heavens. There's a residual memory but I can't even imagine trying that now. Think I'll go back to the sedentary pass time of playing jacks. Anyone else remember that?

• elimar
    Options

The jump ropes rhymes got me thinking... Now this may be a weird question. Do any of you remember a variation of The Beverly Hillbillies theme song, but with filthy lyrics? Looking back, I just have no idea if it was a national thing, a city thing, or just the product of the filthy kids in a five block radius around my house.

• minustwo
    Options

Oops - sorry I never heard those.

• nativemainer
    Options

I never heard any Beverly Hillbillies jump rope rhymes.

• TectonicShift
    TectonicShift Member Posts: 102
    Options

I still love this voice

I hope I always will

• minustwo
    Options

Oh my - thanks for the dance down memory lane.

• TectonicShift
    Options

HeadphonesHeartSillyHeart

• elimar
    Options

My preference would be for the original version of that song, but the two singers look a little bit alike.

-------------------------------

This was before CGI, so his crossed-eyes were real.

Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion - Wikipedia

• TectonicShift
    Options

Yeah, I love the original too.

I hope the young people of today are enjoying their music as much as I did the music of my youth.

Even now it's sometimes better than any modern medicine for what ails me. Thank you, YouTube, for being there at 2 am.

• minustwo
    Options

Oh yes - 2am with You Tube. And then just one more song, and one more, and look at the next one that's recommended, and then another... Many a night sucked away with "old" music. Easy to go from Pat Boone to Elvis to the Beetles to the Rolling Stones to Aretha to Smokey.. oh my

• TectonicShift
    Options

So true, MT. When you're up in the middle of the night roaming around your distant past in YouTubeland, know that I am probably there somewhere too. Headphones

• elimar
    Options

T-Shift, I will 100% vouch for the therapeutic value of music!!! The kids of today ARE enjoying their music as much we did as ours, in fact a lot of it is derivative of ours, if not covered or sampled directly. Ha!

Last night, TCM was showing THE T.A.M.I. SHOW, followed by LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL. Both are on the Tube of You and me, if you ever want to treat yourself to some full length movie, early rockin' nostalgia.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    Options

Our local PBS stations have been running their pledge "specials" and so many of these programs involve oldies of one sort or another. Lots of great music running the gamut from cheerful to serious (especially the Vietnam era). Some of the songs, like "On the Eve of Destruction" seem as appropriate to today as they did back then. So many of the songs are being sung by the original artists. Who remembers "Cara Mia"? The singer can still hit those high notes!

A week or so ago, they also ran one of the most sublime summer 2019 concerts by the Vienna Philharmonic.

I love looking up old favorite tunes on YouTube.

• minustwo
    Options

Oh yes - 'cara mia, why - must you say good bye'. Now I'll have to look it up on the www tonight.

• elimar
    Options

Smock tops...simultaneously with the hot pants and sizzler sets of the early 70's, these tops that looked like your grandma's duster became popular. How'd that happen?

70s smock top | Vintage sewing, Sewing patterns, 1970s sewing patterns

• Vslush
    Vslush Member Posts: 117
    Options

Elimar,

I'm in Ohio, and I vaguely remember the guys at school singing the filthy lyrics to the Beverly Hillbillies. It's been way too long for me to remember them specifically, but it always made me laugh!

Vickki

• elimar
    Options

Vslush, So, it may not be an original then after all, if you are actually thinking of the same song that I am. The lyrics were filthy back then, and too filthy for BCO even now (tho' most of the bad words can be heard in just about any South Park episode!)

• elimar
    Options

My DH and I were just thinking of the "Sunday Funnies" and comic strips in the daily newspapers that we used to like. We came up with Beetle Bailey, Blondie, Peanuts, Hi & Lois, Pogo, Family Circus, Brenda Starr, Andy Capp, and B.C. (no, not breast cancer, the strip with the cavemen.) Then a little later, Ziggy, The Wizard of ID, Doonesbury, Cathy, Hagar the Horrible, and the single panel comics of B. Kliban, and Love is...

Did I miss your favorite?

Comics Kingdom - Editor's Dispatch: Celebrating with Hi & Lois - 2014-10-20

• minustwo
    Options

How about Archie & Veronica? 1946 - 2011

We weren't allowed to go out & play on Sundays. I do remember spreading the Sunday comics all over the floor in the den. And what fun to "make" copies of the pictures when Silly Putty came along.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,440
    Options

I remember the one and only Bean Bag chair I had as a kid. It lasted for about a year until I took a running leap into it and split the side and everything came flying out! My mom was so mad at the mess it made.

• nativemainer
    Options

Great review of Hi and Lois!