Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fat Graft Transfer and the Radiated Breast

Options

Comments

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    Options

You're welcome!  And thanks for making it a link.  I think I figured out how to do that finally...usually I am much more tech savy than that, LOL! 

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Options
    You just have to hit "Enter" at the end of the link so that it is highlighted.  I am NOT tech savvy....so you are way ahead of me! Wink
  • bodback
    bodback Member Posts: 5
    Options

I had bmx, one side cancer, the other pm.  I did immediate recon with impant and then had radiation.  Skin broke down and had to have implant removed on rad side.  After 8 years, I am now starting the process of fat transfer to rad side.  PS says he is hopeful he can rejuvenate skin via AFT and then place TE and expand rad tissue.  I am 3 weeks post first fat transfer.  My skin looks great.  I am VERY cautiously optimistic.  I would love to hear success stories. I am thin and don't have alot of fat to spare...anyone have good outcome?

• dancetrancer
    Options

Bodback, have you considered full fat grafting instead of an implant?  There are a lot of pro's and con's.  Cons: having to wear the Brava for a LONG time, needing multiple surgeries, and often not having a doc in your area that is qualified to do full fat grafting (it is a relatively new procedure).  However, the pro's are that you wouldn't have the increased risk of capsular contracture that comes along with implants w/radiation history.  Just something to consider, if you haven't already.  There is a fat grafting specific forum where you can learn more over at www.fatgraftpatients.com.   

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    Options

Hi. I am thinking a lot about this. My first PS said he did not work with fat transfer, but the head of the department does I've heard, so I may try to meet with him.

I am 2+ weeks out of rads and VERY tired and unpleasantly sore. I am very flat chested naturally with a slight sexy "droop" at my age. I am not very different "looking" after the lumpectomy bt it would be nice to have the small "droop"back under the right breast again.

Anyone here have a small breast and lumpectomy and just need a correction from a fat transfer and also, hopefully, softer skin and better healing from the fat transfer?

Also, ladies, I have a very boney upper chest and it is sooooo sore from the overall rads. And speckled like it has sunspots or moles. Some of these have come off and others not (yet). My nipple is tender as can be. Is this normal? How long does it last?

My RO always (infuriating) says "this is what we would expect at this point" (bla bla bla), i.e. no help at all.

• whippetmom
    Options

trubff:  This is what bodback is describing above.  The fat graft transfer to the irradiated breast can soften the skin, allow it to relax and thereby can allow it to respond more like a non-irradiated breast.  It might require more than one FGT procedure.  Fat grafting is often utilized to correct lumpectomy defects.   Here is a link where you can find plastic surgeons discussing the use of FGT for irradiated skin and lumpectomy defects.  But you do need to go to a PS who has expertise in this arena.

http://www.realself.com/question/Fat-transfer-breasts-uneven-lumpectomy

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    Options

Thanks so much - will check it out!

Happy New Year!

• bodback
    bodback Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thanks for the link! I think I need an implant for 2 reasons: 1) I need symmetry with pm implant recon and 2) I don't have enough fat.

• whippetmom
    Options

I agree, bodback.

• whippetmom
    Options

Bumping for pink

• whippetmom
    Options

Bump

• rubalou
    rubalou Member Posts: 89
    Options

Hi Whippetmom,

What does the 'bump' mean? thanks!

• pinkbutterfly
    pinkbutterfly Member Posts: 130
    Options

Thanks Deborah...for everything!!!

• whippetmom
    Options

"bump" : It just "bumps" this topic to the top of the forum list.  Everytime someone posts on a thread, it moves it to the top of that forum category, so that it is easy for someone to find when I refer them to the thread.

• ttay
    ttay Member Posts: 83
    Options

I finished radiation in December.

This may have been asked/answered before, so please forgive me in advance. Has anyone had fat grafting after radiation to prepare the breast for reconstruction via lat flap or diep? 

If so, can you share your experience about how many graftings you had to have and if it really made a difference in the outcome of the final reconstruction.Thanks. 

• whippetmom
    Options

Bumping for red...

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

Hi i finished rads in feb 2011. I just had a expander put it the one breast. I'm just worried about if my skin will stretch or not. My surgeon hasn't mentioned fat grafting but I'll ask on next visit.

• whippetmom
    Options

bumping for Corrie

• whippetmom
    Options

Okay, never mind that I have been saying this for the past two years....a study released last month...

"Technique Provides New Option for Breast Reconstruction after Radiation Therapy"

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/News-and-Resources/Technique-Provides-New-Option-for-Breast-Reconstruction-after-Radiation-Therapy.html

• dancetrancer
    Options

LOL Whippetmom, you crack me up!  Thanks for posting the study! 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

dancetrancer the link did not take me to the study.

Whippetmom so glad my PS is going to use fat grafting.  I go Monday for my pre-op so ready to get going on this.

• whippetmom
    Options

dancetrancer - thank you for adding the link to the abstract.  The link worked for me, but some of these journal sites with abstracts work sporadically. 

• whippetmom
    Options

bumping for B123

• Sherryc
    Options

whippetmom I have my pre-op on Monday.  Getting closer.

• whippetmom
    Options

Sherry:  Excellent!  Cannot wait to have your report on this after the procedure.  What is your surgery date?

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239
    Options

I know this may be a silly question but I dont understand, how is the grafting done? Is this to avoid a revision? If so, how does it work, is this something that can be done without surgery?  I currently have had my implants (one month) and my rad side is flatter and maybe an inch higher then the normal side.  I am wearing the velcro belt to help lower the one side, but I really dont see that happening.  Even if it did, it is still flatter because the skin is tight.  How can the fat grafting help and how do they do it? Is this preferred over revisions? Thank you!!

• whippetmom
    Options

Fat graft transfer is performed by liposuctioning fat from your belly area, most typically, although fat from the thighs and buttocks is used if insufficient abdominal fat is not available.  After harvesting the fat, blunt cannulas are used to place the fat through approximately 2 millimeter incisions - pinpoint incisions - in the skin of the breast mound.  It is, in every circumstance I have known, performed under general anesthesia.  It is far less invasive and carriers fewer complication risks, as opposed to performing the type of revision which you are referring to, which would require opening up the original incision or creating a new incision via the IM fold. 

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239
    Options

Is the incision in the belly (or elsewhere) just as small? It sounds invasive yet not.  Is the fat that is placed in the breast safe?  How long after the first implant do you need to wait to revise with this method or even with the other method of opening up?

Thank you for your wonderful knowledge!

• Sherryc
    Options

Whippetmom I have my BMX with TE placement on March 26th.  He will do the fat grafting when he places my permanent implants. I got all my pre-op stuff done yesterday, blood work, EKG and hospital registration.  Also got all of my prescriptions that I will need when I get home.  He is putting me on Keflex the day before surgery and keeping me on it after I return home.  I know he is doing this for precaution, not sure if that is normal to be on an antibiotic for prevention.  Maybe it is because of the radiation.  Anyway now I just wait until surgery day.