Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fat Graft Transfer and the Radiated Breast

Options

Comments

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    Options

Sherry, I am and will be thinking of you. Best of luck and please check back in and let us know how you are.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Options

Sherry: I would not have a breast procedure WITHOUT prophy antibiotics!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

I feel better knowing I will be on the anitbiotics.

• bodback
    bodback Member Posts: 5
    Options

I am in process of fat transfer for implant reconstruction and I am amazed with the results so far! I have undergone 2 of 3 stages so far. Stage 1- I had belly fat transferred to my irradiated mastectomy side. This gave the tissue more structure and my PS said the stem cells that are in the fat cells a pretty amazing. To me, it didn't look that different, but he was pleased. Stage 3 - 6 weeks later, I had a TE placed on this side. I had my first fill (30cc) this week and I am so exciting about my budding breast. After I am fully expanded (yes worry that the skin won't stretch like my PM side) then Stage 3 is placing an implant.

I was fully expanded 9 years ago prior to Rads and the skin broke down so I had the TE removed at that time. Because I had a failed recon attempt, I remain cautiously optimistic. I totally
    trust my PS and really surrendered to his expertise with this fat transfer. So far it is going exactly as we had hoped, so I pray that it continues to be successful. I was not willing to do a more invasive
    flap or diep and other than not being able to do serious workouts, this has caused minimal downtime (3 days recovery post surgery with stage 1 and 2).

• bodback
    Options

B123, the incision on my belly was in my belly button so not even visible. I had the second graft from my flanks and I have a tiny incision on each side that looks like little scratch. No one would notice them.

Bodback

• whippetmom
    Options

bodback:  I am so encouraged to hear this!  Please keep all of us posted on your journey.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    Options

That's awesome bodback!

A question I have for all of you who had fat grafting after radiation - how long did you docs tell you you had to wait before proceding with reconstruction after rads?   

• Sherryc
    Options

I had a lumpectomy and rads, then another scar and another lumpectomy that was B9.  Decided to go forward with BMX and reconstruction and my docs made me wait one year post rads before they would touch it.  But maybe that is because I am doing the BMX.  If that had been done before they might would look at it differently

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    Options

Thank you sherry.  I just talked to my friend and rads, and they told her a year to wait as well.  I probably won't do any additional fat grafting, but I wanted to know in case I change my mind.

• whippetmom
    Options

Sherry:  Do you have an update for us on your surgery?

• whippetmom
    Options

Bump

• Sherryc
    Options

Whippetmom I had BMX on March 26th and TE's placed at that time.  I got one drain out last Monday and the other last Friday.  I had nipple sparing and so far my radiated nipple looks great. The PS did not do fat grafting at TE placement but will do it at TE/Implant exchange.  Said the fat grafting would be between the pec muscle and the skin.  Then if I need another fat grafting will do that later but he said with his experience that additional is usually not needed.  So far so good 

• whippetmom
    Options

Sherry:  Good to hear!  Thank you for updating. 

• bodback
    Options

Just a quick update on my expansion, years after rads, using AFT.  I have been going weekly for fills (approx 30-40cc each week) and it is working!  I truly had to see it to believe it.  I was a skeptic on fat transfer, but it really does work miracles.  We are filling to match the expander on my PM side (about 400cc) and will then swap for permanent implants.  After 9 years of wearing a prosthesis, it is really awesome to get my "bod back."

• whippetmom
    Options

So glad to hear affirmation that this is a successful way to address irradiated skin issues.  Hope you are keeping a photo journal!

• whippetmom
    Options

Bumping for mebmarj

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    Options

Thanks for the bump.  I saved this in my favorites a long time ago.  I am definitely going to talk to my PS tomorrow about fat grafting.  I want it on the non-radiated breast to fill it out a little and will ask how it can help my radiated breast.  My skin faired well after radiation, but my darn tissue still wants to harden up.  Ugh!  I was more freaked out about doing radation than chemo, just because I knew the effects would be more permanent.  Yell

• brcamomof2
    brcamomof2 Member Posts: 42
    Options

bumping for kittycat

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69
    Options

So my PS is all for doing fat graphs on my rad side to improve the appearance and mild contracture.  I assure them that when it's YOUR body, no contracture is mild.  The very front of my rad breast has leathery skin that feels like it's STUCK to the muscle underneath.  I don't know that for fact, that's how it feels to me.  Can they actually inject fat between the skin and muscle there?  If there really are adhesions will AFT still work?

• whippetmom
    Options

fragrantroses: I can envision what you are describing about the "leathery" feel and the sensation that the skin is adhering to the pectorals.  At this time, fat graft transfer is the only option to ameliorate the radiation defect, and I would personally not hesitate a moment to try it.  Please keep us posted about this....

Deborah

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69
    Options

Thanks Deborah!  That is exactly what I needed to know.  The PS is all for doing it.  But I didn't want to go through it if I couldn't find out if it would actually help with this radiated skin issue.  

• whippetmom
    Options

I saw the pictures of your breasts and you need to do this. It might take two sessions. I think you will see improvement after the first to make you want to do it again. It is a safe and sane revision to undertake, especially if it allows you to keep your implants and avoid further invasive surgery.

• kestrelgurl
    kestrelgurl Member Posts: 116
    Options

I had my first AFT procedure about a month ago and am planning for 1 or 2 more prior to getting TE's. I do seem to notice that the radiated area feels softer and more pliable. Not to mention there is a thin layer of fat covering my bony chest. PS harvested fat from a small incision in my bellybutton and injected into both sides of my chest - right side to deal with rads damage, left side to work on concavity as it was actually more sunken.

I had been told by other PS's that a flap surgery was my only option - Lat or one of the PAP or TUG, which were not something I was willing to do. I was thrilled when my PS suggested AFT as an option as I found it much more palatable. Yes, it will be a long process and will involve numerous moderately invasive procedures, but I feel good about the whole thing.

I was small breasted and want to be the same again, even though I am ok with going flat if it doesn't work. PS told me he expected the odds of a positive result to be 80-90%.

I spoke to a friend's PS and he was aware of the AFT studies, but liked to stick to things he was familiar with and could count on a good result. He did say that I was a great candidate and that the biggest problem for PS's was finding people willing to take a risk on new procedures. I am excited to be on the cutting edge and would love to provide hope for others with a successful result.

Will see PS to schedule AFT #2 in mid-September and will keep you posted.

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    Options

I'm 3 months post exchange/reduction/lift and I don't think I've been here since. Surgery was NOT easy. 6 hours! , but I did have 2 biopsies at that same time. Anyway, I'm feeling normal again. Radiated breast stil gets tight and it has some weird spots. PS is planning some fat grafting when he does the nipple, but I have to wait 3 more months for those because of RADS damage. I'm wondering if I can get on the pic forum so I can see what is normal for us.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    Options
    mammalou - Private message "Lilah" or "nowheregirl" regarding the pic forum.
  • redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

I'm getting fat transfer to fill pockets around the breast. Is this painful ??? Is is basically liposuction in areas and. Using that fat??

• whippetmom
    Options

redinrah: No, it really is not painful at all. You might have some feeling of fullness of the breasts afterwards, and some swelling and discomfort in the area where the fat was harvested, but it is certainly nothing like what you have gone through already. Fat will be harvested/liposuctioned from an area of your anatomy, e.g., your abdomen, and then in small droplets will be placed in areas on your breast mound to fill in defects such as rippling, step-off, etc.

• whippetmom
    Options

bumping for Dianarose

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

Hi whippet mom - I sent u a pm yesterday's. My incision opened up again. And he has tried to repair it twice but it keeps opening up. He deflated me this time quite a bit and then stitched me up, so we shall see what happens. Can't one use fat grafting purely to reconstruct a boob

• kareenie
    kareenie Member Posts: 97
    Options

Redinrah - yes, you can have a breast made entirely of your own fat!  Look at miamibreastcenter.com and join a bunch of us who are doing just that at fatgraftpatients.com .