Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Dnice
    Dnice Member Posts: 156

MarieJune, so sorry you have the rash and need surgery right away. And so sorry you are dealing with Lupus as well. I will be sending good thoughts to you tomorrow for a great outcome and a speedy recovery. Keep us posted with your progress when you feel up to it.

• MarieJune
    MarieJune Member Posts: 12

whippetmom,

Thank you so much! I have surgery scheduled for 10:15am tomorrow. They ordered a 300cc in Natrelle style 20 high profile.....are they silicone gel? The kind that the Natrelle Anatomicals are made of? Or free moving fluid inside the shell of the implants? I'm confused. Lol. I read up on it but it goes back and forth....lol.

The PS is also ordering a 325cc same style (she seems to think anything bigger will just not fit?!) I suppose as long as I have cleavage (or at least some) and high projection, I'll be happy. I'll also be glad to have boobies again, lol. She's going to order the Sientra textured rounds in 300-325cc's also....not sure they'll be in on time, but they're ordered. She ordered the new expanders because I refuse to go smaller than 300cc's too. So, worst case scenario, I'll get two new expanders and fill up to 250..... It's a surprise when I awake to what I get which is quite funny.

I'm trying not to be a basket case today lol, ahhhhh! Tomorrow is the day. Yikes. Certainly not expected with the ruptured expander! But I guess this is part of the plan now. Lol.

Thank you for your help.

Marie J Mello

• MarieJune

dnice,

Thank you so much. ((((Hugs))))

Scary to not have time to prepare! Lol, but I'm rolling with the punches and making lemonade out of lemons. ;)

Somewhat exciting to know I could finally have new foobies! Yay. The more I've looked at smaller ones, the more satisfied I am now. High profile is what I truly wanted, and that's what she ordered, so I'm happy.....now they have to FIT, lol. Or I get 2 new expanders.....yuck. Either way, it's surgery number 3 in 4 months.....hoping to have a good outcome no matter what happens.

Marie J Mello

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610

Whipetmom-

you did mention that the strattice would feel firm versus a thin cardboard like -as mentioned the previous p.s. did mention the cardboard.  One of my last questions to my previous PS was if other women felt like when they used strattice in one side and not the other- did they seem to say it felt different?  My old PS said that I would have to ask someone else that used it more- I would have to ask  that question to them (thankful she was honest). She mentioned that she  had used it in the breast - but, more in the abdomen. Not sure why she would mention it would feel that different if she had not used it that often in breast reconstruction?? I was quite worried. I asked "ask the doctor" and posted the question on realself and all the doctors (including whippetmom) said it would feel firmer not like a light cardboard. That is why I did seek other opinions b/c she did not use it that much in Breast Reconstruction.And she said it could look worse and maybe not drop if she used it.  It maybe does feel different in the abdomen (thin cardboard). I have no idea.  My old P.S is a very good PS-  I have seen her reviews and know a couple of people that used her.

I guess the moral to the story is - is that every surgeon has their comfort zones in what they feel comfortable with  and have different experiences with using different material. Time will tell if this strattice works. The main concern I have is.... will it drop enough?  Will keep you posted.  I am hopeful....

• Dnice

hey MarieJune I will be thinking of u tomorrow at 10:15. You are strong. Keep us posted when you feel up to it.

• Dnice

Hey Stix, please keep us posted. This is SO not a perfect science. I hope all results are perfect for you. Swelling takes time to dissapate. Hang in there. Probably other women on these forums could speak to the feel of strattice. What it is like. Maybe search it?

• lulivesay
    lulivesay Member Posts: 30

Hey I am just curious, I see alot of people mentioning Alloderm and now strattice too but my PS used silk mesh in my surgery. Does anyone have any information about that? I have been pretty comfortable with it. Just weird that I haven't seen another mention of it????

• lulivesay

Mariejune good luck tomorrow with your surgery will be sending positive vibes your way!

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

lulivesay - Originally, my first PS (back in December 2013) had used Alloderm. But for several reasons, including asymmetry and increasing pain, I switched PSs. So in June of 2014 my NEW PS used Seri Scaffold for my revision. (He's not only a board certified plastic surgeon, but also a bio medical engineer and has been using the silk Seri Scaffold for years for soft tissue repair.) Anyway, it turned out that my pain was because the Alloderm had bunched up and folded over - so it was removed. In most instances, we as patients don't get a choice, but as I've had both, I like the silk much better. It seems much lighter and more pliable and I don't ever notice that it's there...

ThumbsUp

• Stix

Dnice,

I don't think I explained myself well. Strattice is great.  My old ps said it would feel like a LIGHT CARDBOARD. UNTRUE when inserted by my new PS. 

My point was so people would learn that strattice does NOT feel like a light cardboard.

Anyway, the scar revision looks great. Just got back from my PS office and the tape came off.  I told him this was the best scar I have ever had.
    Smile

• Stix

lulvisay-

Is the silk mesh called steri-scaffold (Or something like that)?  I asked my P.S about that. what I remember is that he mentioned it doesn't hold like strattice. I had bad implant malposition that happened twice. He said my skin was thin. But, I think my old old P.S stretched the skin too much.  Who knows... who cares... why. So, why are they using the silk is my question.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Stix: I posted links to comments made by other plastic surgeons, because you posted many times that your PS told you Strattice "would feel like cardboard". Here is what I wrote, when you questioned me about a comment a plastic surgeon made about Strattice being a little more "rigid" than Alloderm.

You asked me " what do you mean by rigid?".....I stated:

Dec 7, 2014 11:45PM whippetmom wrote:

"Stix: I have no idea. I did not say it....the plastic surgeon who responded on realself.com made the comment that it is more "rigid" than Alloderm. But anatomical implants are more rigid than smooth silicone rounds and most women are fine with that trade-off. It is ALL so very subjective. What is tolerable for some, might not be tolerable for others."

I was not disparaging your plastic surgeon. I just did not know why she told you Strattice would "feel like cardboard"....

I researched this for you and linked you to realself.com comments, because as many times as you asked about Strattice, no one, including me, knew how to answer that question for you. I hadno idea how Strattice would feel! I have Alloderm and cannot feel a thing, so I could not fathom Strattice being that much different in feel or sensation.

Glad that whole thing is over with.....Bawling

• whippetmom

With reference to the discussion on Strattice: Here is what one plastic surgeon wrote:

"Both Alloderm and Strattice are acellular dermal matrix tissue (ADM), the former from human tissue and the later from pigs. They both can help tremendously in breast reconstruction and are used extensively. The Alloderm is more pliable and stretchable versus the Strattice which is more rigid. There is no extensive double-blind study comparing the two and it is largely surgeon preference for usage. It seems that the Alloderm is incorporated a little bit earlier than the Strattice."

("Firmness" and "rigidity" in terms of a product which is inserted into a reconstructed breast, is for the major part, pretty subjective. It might be rigid or firm to one, but not to another.

A number of plastic surgeons seem to use Strattice, over Alloderm, to correct defects such as bottoming out of implants. One surgeon writes:

"Strattice is used more often for revisions of breast augmentation for things such as bottoming out or for coverage of rippling when the tissues are thin."

• MarieJune

Thank you Dnice & lulivesay, for the good wishes for tomorrow. (((((Hugs)))))

I'll update as soon as I can to let you know what I "got"....aka the "size that wins the prize" lol. ;)

My PS ordered 8 different sizes of Natrelle style 20 high profile implants between 275cc to 450cc! :) the one that fits the best will be mine. I'm confident that she's been great this far and I'm in excellent hands. I know I'll come to love the new ME, just as I came to love the flat chested me for 4 months. :) Excited and a little nervous! But nerves are GOOD I've come to realize because when I had my new drain placed in October I wasn't the least bit nervous and ended up with Cellulitis. So nervousness is GREAT! ;)

See you on the Squishy Side! So HAPPY I'm finally here (it may have been God's plan to rupture the TE- because it was agonizing pain during the two 50cc fills I had). Ready as I'll ever be. :-D

Thank you for the support & help/wisdom whippemom! You've been a true emotional healer for me.

Marie J Mello

• Stix

Hi whippetmom. Thank you for posting. I appreciate your input 100 percent Your the best ! Thans for explaining that to the forum. Stix

• Dnice

Marie, thinking of you this morning! Speedy recovery! Xo

• barbara510
    barbara510 Member Posts: 4

Hi. This is my first post on this topic. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I had DM in 2010 with immediate nipple sparing reconstruction and Alloderm. They look good but they are uncomfortable. I find them heavy and tight. I workout quite a bit and they get even more uncomfortable and sometimes painful after a strenuous workout. Now I have capsular contraction in one and have to get that fixed. My surgery date is April 8, 2015. I am pondering my options and am wondering if I went down in size will I find the implants more comfortable? Right now I think they are 300 cc (?) so not that big, a B cup. I have considered the new fat grafting technique but it sounds like a long and painful process (the liposuction & BRAVA) and I would have to travel 5 hours one way to have the treatments. I have also considered going flat, but really don't want to.

Also, are there any women out there with implants who workout a lot who find their implants comfortable? I am wondering if that is just how it is because they are under the pectoral muscle? Any personal experiences and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Barbara

• Stix

H i Barbara. I am very active and don't find implants uncomfortable. I can't do a push up though. It's just not possible. Can anyone else do a pushup? Maybe whippetmom can answer the pushup thing. I can do all other exercise s at the gym...like the pec.. machine and upper body machines. When I say pushup s... i mean a real pushup I can't do... it feels too tight.

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133

@Barbara

I exercise 5x a week and while some moves bother me when it comes to pec exercises, I just modify. My implants are 425cc and I am 107# 5'3" and I don't find them cumbersome. I will wear a sports bra when doing high impact and it seems to do the trick. I also play golf and have not had any trouble with them getting in the way ;). I am hoping in a few years or less, pec exercises will be part of a normal routine. I have Sientra shaped, round base.

• barbara510
    barbara510 Member Posts: 4

I can do pushups but it feels weird. Chest tightens up. Glad to hear you are active and your implants don't bother you, gives me hope. If I replace them with smaller ones I hope it will feel better, but it is hard to say. I also do yoga and whenever I am on my stomach the pressure on them makes me feel like they might pop. It is also uncomfortable to sleep on my side or stomach.

• Dnice

Hi Barbara. I have implants and work out as well. I was running about six weeks after the exchange but I did notice swelling afterwards so I started walking. I work out at the gym now and implants feel fine. It has been almost a year since the exchange. I have tightness but no pain. I will be having revision surgery in early Mar. (To correct rippling) if this isn't successful then I am considering Brava/AFT also. Some Drs. might recommend a smaller implant and AFT. Everyone's approach is different. Hope everything goes well.

• Stix

I think that my body just got use to the iimplants. I remember it was such a nice thing just to get the tubes out and start moving and going to work. It was like I got my life back. However, I did suffer from a trapezoid pull (neck pain, scapular pain, pain around upper spinal cord) which gave me chronic pain for about two months. It was terrible at first. It started after a deep tissue massage then I started exercising too much for what my body wasn't quite use to. I did rest... and started up too quick which aggravated the muscle. I say it took about 6 months total to totally heal (with 4 weeks of PT) I think I lost a lot of muscle in my upper body over on and off surgeries- so that that probably had something to do with it. Thats the only aggravating pain I have had consistently which is now resolved

• whippetmom

Treatment of capsular contracture

Barbara: The development of capsular contracture 2 years after breast surgery, suggests that there could be an underlying implant rupture and/or muscle tear and/or bacterial infection. If it IS due to a bacterial infection, and even if your PS does not believe bacteria is the culprit, I like what Dr. Cassalith in Los Angeles has to say about capsular contracture and the treatment of same.

If it is not treated properly, it will likely happen again and again and one risks the possibility of having to give up on implants all together and go with an autologous flap procedure or full on fat graft transfer.

There are some things you are just going to have to resign yourself to leaving in the past, now that you have had breast reconstruction. Pushups, unless just a gentle, modifed version....are out. You cannot keep compressing your implants daily (either via stomach sleeping or yoga or etc) without compromising your reconstruction in one way or another. The most common concern is implant displacement...lateral displacement of the implant...pectoral muscle tears....putting too much stress on thin tissues, resulting in a pouching of the skin....implant palpability/visibility....yadda, yadda, yadda. It is a trade-off. Smaller implants are not going to help the issue, if you continue to work out the way you do currently.

I was a well-seasoned stomach sleeper before breast cancer, and once I had the exchange, I returned to stomach sleeping several nights a week. I would try to sleep on my back, but invariably, would wake up in the morning with a face plant in the pillow. So, now I have a pouching of the skin, with some implant distortion, and the implants are palpable. Once this all manifested, a year ago, I resolved once and for all to back or quasi-side sleep and that is it. I have not awakened in a face plant for the past year.

As far as my upper body work-outs go, I only do exercises that do not stress my pectorals. If it feels funny, I don't do it. If the exercise causes implant animation, I don't do it again.

• Stix

Why the physician s don't tell people this b4 surgery is unknown. Possibly some may pick fat transfer if they knew this prior to ..in which they may loose business. Did anybody else's p.s.go into such detail as whippetmom did...? Mine did not. And i do not remember seeing this in lit.

• lulivesay

Stix - I looked to see what my paperwork said about the mesh and it says silk mesh allograft.  I am guessing that it is the same though because I am pretty sure he referred to the scaffolding at one point.  My PS just told me that silk has been used for thousands of years in medical stitches and that he likes to use it and although he does use other things he thought he would use the silk and he did!  (my daughter likes to think that it is purple silk)  haha we laugh about that! 

It is interesting hearing about the workouts I was wondering myself how the upper body workouts would go and about accidently upsetting an implant.   I don't want to do that!! I will proceed with caution!

Just curious does anyone know how common capsular contracture is and do you always lose your implants if it happens?

• amieclemens5
    amieclemens5 Member Posts: 22

Hello all,

I had bMX with TE and have date set for the bilateral lat dorsi flap recon, but I am not getting scared and wondering if I should just do the implant exchange... Do you all think the implant exchange is the best way to go?  I see the problems you are all having.  But would you suggest the lat dorsi flap recon instead?  

Also, I should mention I am about 6 ft tall and PS had told me if I go with the round implants there would be a good chance I would have get rippling.  She said I would have to do round unless I did the back flap, then I could do the tear shaped ones.  

Any feedback would help.

Thanks!

Amie

• Stix

Let Dorsi..flap I think is an old approach. Wait for more replies

• amieclemens5
    amieclemens5 Member Posts: 22

Thank you.  Yes, I see there are abbreviations you all are using that I've never heard of, so I'm obviously not as informed as I thought. 

• whippetmom

NO, the development of capsular contracture does not mean you will lose the implant. But you want to prevent multiple recurrences...

I hope everyone saw the link to Dr. Cassalith's article ABOVE my message detail....

• whippetmom

Amie: Did you have radiation? If not, what is the plastic surgeon's reasoning for a lat flap? Did your PS explain why there is this caveat about anatomicals - that you can have them only if you have a flap? Also, I know a lot of women who have had or have anatomical implants and have rippling. This is no guarantee against rippling. APerhaps it is that your skin is too thin for a firm, shaped implant, without flap coverage? I would get a second opinion. There is no particular rush to get the TEs out...and for peace of mind, I would just get another opinion.